• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

Oh yeah definitely, I'm 100% sure we're just getting Super forms. Still would be cool though.

I don't think so. While that may seem to be the case based on the design I'm sure SEGA left that concept behind and just had the chaos emeralds take that design from later games onto now.

They've always been referred to as Chaos Emeralds post 3&K, let alone Hyper Sonic's only appearance has been the same game. Super Emeralds only appear in looks alone currently.

Wait a second, Sonic Advance 2 has Chaos Emeralds, the special stage rings were impossible to collect all 7 so I never saw one?

I'm sure Hyper Sonic was only a thing because they needed something to justify you collecting the chaos emeralds twice since they decided to split Sonic 3 into two half games. The super emeralds were just the chaos emeralds re-assuming their true form. They've acted like the super emeralds plotwise and with Sega falling in love with the homing attack Hyper lost most of its uniqueness.

And if you thought getting into the special stages in Sonic Advance 2 was impossible, I'd hate to see you make it to its special stages:
HappyIllegalAltiplanochinchillamouse-size_restricted.gif

Whoever designed these was a sadist.

Berordn

Wait a second, Sonic Advance 2 has Chaos Emeralds, the special stage rings were impossible to collect all 7 so I never saw one?

At a particularly low point in my life, I actually did this with all five characters.

Zero is a fucking monster.

What the hell guys. It's a fan demo. It's not a perfect example of chiseled quality. What matters: It feels like a dream to play with beautiful atmosphere. I can't even tell if you guys played it or just watched the trailer and heard some sort of "open-world" descriptor somewhere and stuck up your noses.

It's not about "does it work as a game?", it's about "wow, this feels GOOD" and modern Sonic just doesn't in the same way, even at his best. It feels janky.

Nothing about the demo should inspire this level of vitriol.

Not going to derail this much further, but thank you for assuming my opinions to be based out of some misplaced open world stuck-uppery. Frankly the demo felt janky to me and nothing about the concept or their current execution was particularly impressive. When I say there's vast patches of nothing, I mean that even the official trailers show Sonic running in an empty field and that's just not interesting.

There's no vitriol here, I just don't like it and there's yet to be anything out of the project to sway my opinion otherwise (and that's not to say I think that Boost gameplay is the be-all end-all for 3D Sonic - it's still in need of refinement).

But if they're going to change my mind at all they need some actual level design and some severe refinement on this too. Seeing the praise for it was always bizarre to me when it didn't feel like it was doing anything of note yet, and the official projects still seemed to play better even when their other elements were lacking.

RagnarokX

At a particularly low point in my life, I actually did this with all five characters.

You actually have to get all 7 emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AND Cream to unlock Amy, which I think may actually qualify Amy as the hardest character to unlock due to how ridiculously difficult and tedious her requirements are.

Trailer is so dang good. I am officially in full hype mode for this.

If they bring back Hyper Sonic, or even just Super Tails/Knuckles, I will full-on die from youthful joy.

NZerker12

I just hope Super Knuckles is actually pink with his spines raised instead of looking like normal Knuckles but flashing white. Super Tails has to have his Flicky army of doom as well.

Vinnk

Sorry if it's already been answered but a long time ago there were mock-ups of a box for a physical release of this game on Switch. I cannot remember the source. Did anything become of this?

NZerker12

Sorry if it's already been answered but a long time ago there were mock-ups of a box for a physical release of this game on Switch. I cannot remember the source. Did anything become of this?

No one knows yet. If it is does exist, I personally believe it will be announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct.

I just hope Super Knuckles is actually pink with his spines raised instead of looking like normal Knuckles but flashing white. Super Tails has to have his Flicky army of doom as well.
The skeptic in me wants to say that we might not get Super Tails or Super Knuckles. Apparently Sega's current stance is that only male Hedgehogs can go super.

...Despite y'know, stuff like Knuckles saying he didn't have enough energy to reach his super form in SA2 and Team Super in Sonic Heroes. Then again, Sonic's world and Earth are officially different worlds that they can travel between now, so it's not like Sonic "canon" makes any sense.

there was an australian retail listing, but I guess that could be the LE with statue. No one knows for sure.

Stopdoor

Not going to derail this much further, but thank you for assuming my opinions to be based out of some misplaced open world stuck-uppery. Frankly the demo felt janky to me and nothing about the concept or their current execution was particularly impressive. When I say there's vast patches of nothing, I mean that even the official trailers show Sonic running in an empty field and that's just not interesting.

There's no vitriol here, I just don't like it and there's yet to be anything out of the project to sway my opinion otherwise (and that's not to say I think that Boost gameplay is the be-all end-all for 3D Sonic - it's still in need of refinement).

But if they're going to change my mind at all they need some actual level design and some severe refinement on this too. Seeing the praise for it was always bizarre to me when it didn't feel like it was doing anything of note yet, and the official projects still seemed to play better even when their other elements were lacking.

The other two dudes called it "utter trash" and "lame", so that's why I talked vitriol. I didn't assume anything, I literally said I couldn't tell if any of you guys played it.

I think you're pretty unappreciative of good physics if you call the feel of it unimpressive, lacking, and nothing of note - it's on an entirely different level than current Sonic games with the way you can bob and weave off of subtle hills and walls without completely losing momentum in an awkward way. Literally no Sonic game feels like it, so it's the opposite of "nothing of note". I don't really care about the rest of the demo's characteristics, I like it but there's valid criticism to be had about the level design or whatever. My point is purely about game feel. It evokes a feeling of the classic games in physics in 3D.

nowarning

Sonic 2/Sonic 3D special stages are my favorite. Put myself off blue sphere as a kid after doing hyper sonic/tails/knuckles one after another.

I'd bet that we're getting the half pipe special stage due to it being the one that's the most fondly remembered by the general public.

I got a soft spot for the UFO Sonic CD ones though. One day they'll return. One day.

Aki-at

Sonic 2/Sonic 3D special stages are my favorite. Put myself off blue sphere as a kid after doing hyper sonic/tails/knuckles one after another.

Same, I just didn't find blue sphere even remotely fun but always enjoyed the special stages in those two games a fair bit.

Ferr986

I don¡t think Hyper Sonic will appear again. It was introduced just because S3&K had 2 sets of Emeralds. Just put the Hyper improvements on the Super form and that's it.

Super Tails/Knuckles makes more sense to return, and for the love of god PLEASE add an option to not have the invincivility music play in a loop when in Super form. I avoided Super forms just because how annoying that was.

I'd bet that we're getting the half pipe special stage due to it being the one that's the most fondly remembered by the general public.

I got a soft spot for the UFO Sonic CD ones though. One day they'll return. One day.

Yep, found them more fun than Sonic 2 ones. Also you have more control than in Sonic 2 ones when the time is going to end (red UFOs) or if you miss something.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I managed to make my way through all of Sonic Advance 2's special stages but it required a guide to find all those damn SP rings.

Daffy Duck

As long as they are not Sonic 1 inspired, god I hated those things.

And the ones from three made me cry as a child, those later ones.......

Berordn

The other two dudes called it "utter trash" and "lame", so that's why I talked vitriol. I didn't assume anything, I literally said I couldn't tell if any of you guys played it.

I think you're pretty unappreciative of good physics if you call the feel of it unimpressive, lacking, and nothing of note - it's on an entirely different level than current Sonic games with the way you can bob and weave off of subtle hills and walls without completely losing momentum in an awkward way. Literally no Sonic game feels like it, so it's the opposite of "nothing of note". I don't really care about the rest of the demo's characteristics, I like it but there's valid criticism to be had about the level design or whatever. My point is purely about game feel. It evokes a feeling of the classic games in physics in 3D.

It's a representation of 2D Sonic but literally no game in the series feels like it? Okay.

A physics sandbox is pretty unremarkable to me in general. I can appreciate the work they put into it and how that's the framework for a great game, but until they do that it's a nifty footnote and nothing more.

muteki

It was a Sonic 2 half-pipe variant but Chaotix's special stages will always be my favorite. I never had the patience or skill for Sonic 2's.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Nah. These devs know how overplayed that style of special stage is, and besides we already know the method of entering a special stage is the Sonic 3 method so blue sphere makes sense.

You know the super emeralds have been in the games ever since Sonic & Knuckles, right? The chaos emeralds were transformed into the super emeralds.

j2ROwwq.gif

this is false, they've always been Chaos Emeralds.

However, the Super Emeralds were in Sonic Adventure. If you visit the past Emerald altar as Knuckles, you can climb one of the pillars and see that the emerald is larger than him.

hodgy100

Sonic utopia is an interesting toy. I dont see how you can make interesting level design with it, combat with enemies feels impossible with it and its no good for precise platforming. The physics feel incredibly inaccurate which isn't how classic sonic feels at all.

Nah. These devs know how overplayed that style of special stage is, and besides we already know the method of entering a special stage is the Sonic 3 method so blue sphere makes sense.

Honestly, I'd love something new and fresh, but Blue Sphere would be welcome. Blue sphere is underrated IMO.

Berordn

Honestly, I'd love something new and fresh, but Blue Sphere would be welcome. Blue sphere is underrated IMO.

Considering how keen they were to include Blue Sphere in the collections, I think they know.

Though it would be great to have more actual designed levels rather than the (I'm assuming) procedurally generated ones.

Ferr986

I do wish they do something new and not Blue Spheres again, although to be fair I'm not that much of a fan of Special Stages overall.

I'll rather have regular but more challenge-like styled levels like Triple Trouble ones.

Ogni-XR21

No. Hoping for the glorious return of blue spheres. The GOAT special stage. I also hope we get a near infinite number of blue sphere stages like when you locked S&K with a game that wasn't Sonic 2 or 3.

My TV has a bit of input lag, even in gaming mode. Made the sphere stages unplayable for me.

Berordn

I believe the Special Stage in S3&K has the emerald appear in 3D, and it's not the typical Diamond cut like Super Emerald's have

It's actually kind of tricky to tell, the sprites of the in the Blue Sphere stages looks like they might be a round or oval cut, but at an angle it looks like it could also be a smaller diamond cut.

RagnarokX

this is false, they've always been Chaos Emeralds.

However, the Super Emeralds were in Sonic Adventure. If you visit the past Emerald altar as Knuckles, you can climb one of the pillars and see that the emerald is larger than him.
They aren't called Super Emeralds but no game but 3&K has any need to differentiate the 2 forms. Ever since 3&K they've retained that form and they've been used the same way (surrounding the master emerald). Also they can grow and shrink. The point is that in Sonic 3 & Knuckles the were transformed back into their original form and they've been that way ever since. Maybe they could make a game involving time travel that explains how the hell the emeralds became like that in the first place.
It's actually kind of tricky to tell, the sprites of the in the Blue Sphere stages looks like they might be a round or oval cut, but at an angle it looks like it could also be a smaller diamond cut.

Actually, the regular emeralds are very clearly dodecahedrons in Blue Sphere. They're made up of pentagon faces.

TTMT0O1.png
hCrBZyM.jpg

Berordn

Actually, the regular emeralds are very clearly dodecahedrons in Blue Sphere. They're made up of pentagon faces.

TTMT0O1.png
hCrBZyM.jpg

Huh, so they are. Which is stranger considering the 2D image of them still uses the octagon cut.

300px-Chaos_Emeralds_Sonic_3.gif

Probably one of those things they just didn't consider at the time.

RagnarokX

Huh, so they are. Which is stranger considering the 2D image of them still uses the octagon cut.

300px-Chaos_Emeralds_Sonic_3.gif

Probably one of those things they just didn't consider at the time.

And a hexagonal cut in Sonic 2. I think what happened is that they just reused those octagonal emerald sprites from Sonic 1 in making the Sonic 3 sprites, and when they made new 3D sprites for Blue Sphere they went with a dodecahedron because it showed the shape they wanted better in 3D to differentiate the 2 forms. Making an octagonal cut look good in 3D would take more work.

RomanceDawn

Every since I played that Sonic Utopia fan demo, 3D Sonic is just ruined forever for me. Like even if it's passably good, I think back to some interview with the fan devs, where they said something like how Sonic Team started with the wrong basis and just keeps building on it instead of going back and taking what really worked (ie. Stuff like the physics, level design). It haunts me, Sonic Forces is like Exhibit A of that to the extreme so far.

This times 80 katrillion. My feelings exactly.

I don't think it takes much imagination to see how Utopia could be applied to a full game. The guy in the interview is on point with the majority of his comments.

I'll take what's going on with Mania over today's 3D Sonic any day of the week. It's a shame to because I want 3D Sonic more than 2D Sonic.

Ristifer

I'll be impressed with Utopia once it shows me something other than running around Green Hill. It looks nice, but actually implementing those physics into interesting environments with good platforming is the true challenge. I'd love to see it pulled off because it looks like a great foundation. But it's not exactly convincing me yet.

Falk

that puzzling face
maybe the 'chaos' in 'chaos emeralds' means their actual physical properties are in flux and the molecular structure assumes different matrices depending on environmental temperature

sonic 1 special stage - 27°C
sonic 2 special stage - 35°C
sonic 3 special stage - -17°C
sonic adventure - 22°C
sonic adventure 2 - 22°C

etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom