• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog film will be "dark and edgy" [rumor] aka terrible [confirmed]

DarkKyo

If they get Brad Bird, I'll support this.

I don't think he could ever get on board with this unless they change their terrible, terrible concept for what they think this movie should be like.

Changes to the concept that should be made:
1) Don't "mix it with reality"
2) Don't make it "edgy".. For what he needs to be he is already "edgy" enough
3) Base it on classic Sonic(saving critters from robotization, defeating Eggman/Robotnik).. that's the very core basis of Sonic "lore" so the movie should start there
4) Story comes first.. if you don't have a good story then forget about it(then again if Brad Bird were writing it I'm sure he could do something pretty amazing with the franchise)

The Sonic franchise has been dragged through so much shit over the past 10 years, this proposed movie would absolutely destroy any last bit of pomp these characters have left in them.

Ulumsk

Sonic always has and always will be terrible in any narrative form. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Camjo-Z

I really doubt this will happen. Why would Sega ditch the serious tone of Adventure/2/Shadow/06 to start making more lighthearted games, create a new spin-off brand designed to be even MORE geared toward kids than the main series... and then make a movie that's dark and edgy? Doesn't add up.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I am so glad this is a thing, for all the wrong reasons. This is going to be glorious.

At least I hope this is real, so we can all laugh at it.

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality.

I actually would like to see a dark, edgy Sonic if it was done right. However, with the way they're talking about it I think we're sadly going to get something more akin to this:

Legend_of_chun_li.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Generations is better than 1 and much better than CD IMO.

Yeah, it ain't no Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but Generations is definitely top tier Sonic. I wish Sega had released more DLC packs for it, more in the vein of expansion packs.

I'd definitely pay like 30 euros for 6 more classic/modern levels. Luckily the game is very easily moddable. Had a load of fun with the levels from Sonic Werehog Edition. Somehow even more fun than in the actual game they came from even.

Get in line, he's to busy making The Incredibles 2.

My goodness, I had to look this up after you said it, and it's really real - they're making The Incredibles 2! I loved the first film and was always baffled why they didn't make any sequels as it literally seemed perfect for them.

Although on the other hand, it is kind of symptomatic of Pixar's growing creative bankruptcy. Although I love The Incredibles, I'd rather they made something original.

TEJ

My goodness, I had to look this up after you said it, and it's really real - they're making The Incredibles 2! I loved the first film and was always baffled why they didn't make any sequels as it literally seemed perfect for them.

Although on the other hand, it is kind of symptomatic of Pixar's growing creative bankruptcy. Although I love The Incredibles, I'd rather they made something original.

They're making a few original films iirc.

Village

Shadow the hedgehog movie lets GO~!

Sonic always has and always will be terrible in any narrative form. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

There are bunch of comics that say otherwise. To a degree in which you wonder why haven't these people worked on an alternative version of sonic yet in game form

Next two films they're making (Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur) are original. Next sequel we're getting is Finding Dory after those two come out.

You want a dark and edgy plot? Here's my idea:

Sonic gets teleported/blackholed/retconned/Robotnik'd into our world. Instead of finding trustful sidekicks in teenagers, he is found first by adults and is called an "alien"

World goes seven ways bananas: scientists want to capture and analyze him, hunters want to kill him and hang his head on a wall, crazy-ass drugged-out insane people start a cult and worship him as a god and try to have sex with him...

He has to survive long enough to find a way back to his universe.

nkarafo

"the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences"

LOL! If anything, the more "dark" and "edgy" Sonic gets, the more childish and immature he becomes.

Epcott

So does Sonic find himself transported to New York Central Park from Mobius, being pursued by Eggman, eventually taking refuge in NPH's condo with his dorky fiancé?

Or was that the premise of Sonic X?

Sonic gets teleported/blackholed/retconned/Robotnik'd into our world. Instead of finding trustful sidekicks in teenagers, he is found first by adults and is called an "alien"

World goes seven ways bananas: scientists want to capture and analyze him, hunters want to kill him and hang his head on a wall, crazy-ass drugged-out insane people start a cult and worship him as a god and try to have sex with him...

Not that your story sounds bad, but you could replace Sonic with ALF or any other character ever, and it wouldn't change the plot a bit.

Steroyd

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality.

Words are not quantifiable to express my emotions right now.

R0ckman

Just kill the damn IP already. Anybody with sense has moved on. Its clear they don't give a shit about the gameplay and just use him as a patch on Sega's sinking ship. All that effort on Generations and they go back to shit after.

And he has to snap a young soldier's neck when he tries to capture him - leading to all kinds of introspective consideration on the nature of what he does, and whether he's really doing the right thing, or he's just a soldier blindly following the will and machinations of others.

samn

Really, it's yet another superhero-origin franchise product, like the recent Superman and Dark Knight films, giving massively elaborate explanations for the hero's name and that of his horse. "The Lone Ranger" is finally spelt out haltingly, like "The Bat Man" – a legend being born. Pretty soon every film franchise in the world will be rebooted with this origin-myth style: a black-eared rodent called Michael will be tentatively hailed, at the end of a three-hour film culminating in a helium-inhalation tragedy, as "Mickey … Mouse".

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/08/the-lone-ranger-review

EVOL 100%

So, you mean like real life Sonic fans then?

j/k

While I doubt this is true, this definitely feels 2 steps back. I thought they'd have learned that nobody fucking wants 'edgy' Sonic by now

I am sure Brad Bird -- having helped create the visual language we take for granted in The Simpsons, making audiences cry with The Iron Giant, personally helming and also serving on the story committee for the golden age of 3D animation at Pixar, and then having transitioned successfully into big budget live action film-making with Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol -- is calling back his agent and offering to cut his salary in order to land the dream project of putting some chuckles into Knuckles.

Jawmuncher

I actually would like to see a dark, edgy Sonic if it was done right. However, with the way they're talking about it I think we're sadly going to get something more akin to this:

Legend_of_chun_li.jpg

God Damn was that movie such a bomb in more ways in one.
Completely terrible and not even redeemable so bad it's good like the original SF movie. Thankfully no one bothered to watch it. Remember seeing the box office numbers and actually laughing.

MrBadger

I seriously doubt this is a real thing. I always figured that since Sonic Colours, Sega realised that putting Sonic with realistic humans, Earth-like locations and grimdark stoylines involving the military, government conspiracies and public executions was seriously taking him out of his element.

Top Bottom