• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog film will be "dark and edgy" [rumor] aka terrible [confirmed]

Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

h7EA08E54
zkHs5.jpg

I8yCv.png

BbpV6.jpg

UBHml.jpg

Manu

Games don't have to be shit just because they're kids games.

Obviously not. But the games are mostly mediocre to good, some pretty good. And kids love them. Same as with Sonic's friends, only adults think they're lame. My younger brothers for like Shadow and such.

Brad bird and Phil Johston... Hahahahahahahaha
Don't make me laugh, they will never do a project like this and even if they did by some divine grace, they would change any gritty realistic script into a children animation movie with no humans at all, and because SEGA will say no to that (because they are idiots) the would leave the project as fast as they could.
I believe there are correct ways to do things. Sometimes you can go crazy with rebooted interpretations, but sometimes there are good ways tackle a franchise or project. A Sonic the Hedgehog fully animated children's film with no humans(other than Eggman) IS the best way to do it. That's how the Sonic world SHOULD be represented(still never cared for the other human characters in the series, IMO, they never felt right). It's like the Double Dragon movie(yeah, that one) or the Super Mario movie. Double Dragon could've been done good(but might've been better if it was made in the 80s), a pure martial arts movie that takes cues from Bruce Lee's kung fu flicks, as well as movies like The Warriors(even The Last Dragon, as far as 80s-look is concerned). Super Mario, while I'll always have nostalgia for it(even though it's a bad SMB movie), it's something that can't be done live action. Animated is the way to go(and now, how the CG looking SMB games look, it could be done like that in a similar Pixar/Dreamworks style). I do think there are PROPER ways to approach a project(ways that are true to the frachise as well as styles that best fit it). Sometimes you just need to kick the people with bad ideas to the curb. Not a game movie, but Dragon Ball Evolution... great example of now NOT to tackle a franchise in movie form.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I have barely touched upon this franchise aside from Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, but the darkest moment I remember is in Sonic and Knuckles when Knuckles gets electrocuted by Dr. Robotnik near the chaos emeralds. I truly felt sorry for the guy. Man, sonic was so much better then. I can't imagine a film adaptation will be any good.

R0ckman

I have barely touched upon this franchise aside from Sonic the Hedgehog 1 - 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, but the darkest moment I remember is in Sonic and Knuckles when Knuckles gets electrocuted by Dr. Robotnik near the chaos emeralds. I truly felt sorry for the guy. Man, sonic was so much better then. I can't imagine a film adaptation will be any good.

A very wise one you are.

Obviously not. But the games are mostly mediocre to good, some pretty good. And kids love them. Same as with Sonic's friends, only adults think they're lame. My younger brothers for like Shadow and such.

Honestly I like Shadow because at least they tried with him. They kinda failed in making him a good character, but they tried.

I have no problem with all the characters really. I just think the whole series needs a reboot and a fresh set of people working on it. I love Sonic games and I want them to be really good and I think they can be.

MrBadger

Knuckles's heel-face turn in Hidden Palace was handled well for a 16bit game with no cutscenes. I kind of miss that version of Knuckles. After S&K, the Master Emerald getting stolen turned into a running joke, before all mention of it and Knuckles's backstory was completely dropped and the character was turned into a parody of himself.

Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

h7EA08E54

Sounds so bad it'll be good. And on a tangent looks like video games might be the next Hollywood trend: there's that SEGA vs Nintendo movie, an Adam Sandler pixel movie, and now this.

I wanna gonna post my response but completely forgot it when I saw this image. Oh my that's amazing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Dark, edgy and Sonic should never be in the same sentence and anyone think that Sonic should be dark and edgy is completely missing the point of the series.

This is also why I dislike the Sonic Satam cartoon.

I was just about to point out how we already have a dark and edgy Sonic film with live-action.

And look how that turned out
Sonic-Live-Action-Film-428x286.jpg

url

242175-SonicFanFilm-Header.jpg

Eggman.png

Btw here's the film, for those lucky souls who haven't seen it yet.

Ew at that fan movie version of Sonic, it's even more terrible than the Sonic Boom redesigned.

Just kill the damn IP already. Anybody with sense has moved on. Its clear they don't give a shit about the gameplay and just use him as a patch on Sega's sinking ship. All that effort on Generations and they go back to shit after.

So many things wrong said.

-Sega isn't sinking at all.
-Sonic games still sell so why would they kill the IP just because you don't like it that's like Nintendo killing the Mario series.
-Sonic Lost World may be sub par but it isn't anywhere on the same level as Sonic 06 or Heroes.

I just lost it and burst laughing when I saw Michelle.

Azure J

So after nearly righting the ship completely over the last 6 or 8 years, SEGA decides to turn it the fuck back around and engage nitro into "what the actual fuck" all over again. Yay.

huxley00

They had that darker saturday morning Sonic cartoon, I thought it was actually quite awesome. Sonic has some pretty adult themes when you look at the story from a serious angle. It could be good....

I'm seeing a lot of people here voicing their lousy opinions about the Sonic games they have never played. I mean I get that bandwagons are fun, but you know what else is fun? Knowledge! So go on and play those games that you *claim* are bad only because you were too much of a broke-ass to actually buy them (Colors, Unleashed, Generations, Rush, etc), then come on back to the Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread and share your newfound experience(s) with us. As long as you're not a dick, we'd be more than happy to have a discussion on why you still think they're bad or have had your mind changed.

It's safer here.

terrisus

Yeah he's wrong

there hasn't been a good game since Sonic 2

Half of Generations being decent doesn't make it a good game

Hey, I liked 3 as well.

But, yeah, Sonic just doesn't work in 3d.

I'm seeing a lot of people here voicing their lousy opinions about the Sonic games they have never played. I mean I get that bandwagons are fun, but you know what else is fun? Knowledge! So go on and play those games that you *claim* are bad only because you were too much of a broke-ass to actually buy them

Interesting theory.

But, it would be wrong.

Toxi

Banned
I liked Sonic Heroes, so I don't think I get to comment on what Sonic games were good.

Except the Genesis trilogy+Knuckles. That shit was always awesome.
4chan must be pleased with these news.
In the grimdarkness and edginess of Sonic, there is only gorilla warfare.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah he's wrong

there hasn't been a good game since Sonic 2

Half of Generations being decent doesn't make it a good game

The Classic half of Generations wasn't quite as solid as the Modern stages, but the only part of the game that was less than "decent" was the last fourth or so.

Which, amusingly enough, also applies to Sonic 2.

MrBadger

The Classic half of Generations wasn't quite as solid as the Modern stages, but the only part of the game that was less than "decent" was the last fourth or so.

Which, amusingly enough, also applies to Sonic 2.

The only parts of Generations that I didn't enjoy (barring the optional missions) were Planet Wisp and Time Eater. Everything else in that game was great and the levels had plenty of variety and replayability. They even had a fun fight with Silver in there somehow. I wouldn't call Generations bad or mediocre because the final boss left a bad taste in my mouth.

Top Bottom