• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog film will be "dark and edgy" [rumor] aka terrible [confirmed]

tumblr_lvz582gL6V1qgbzcro1_500.gif

I once started writing such a script. It was horrible so I stopped.

I actually would like to see a dark, edgy Sonic if it was done right. However, with the way they're talking about it I think we're sadly going to get something more akin to this:

Legend_of_chun_li.jpg

"Some fight for power. Some fight for us" is such a bad tagline. I've not seen the film though - is it worth it for shits and giggles like the original Street Fighter film, or is a just a complete waste of time?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
"Some fight for power. Some fight for us" is such a bad tagline. I've not seen the film though - is it worth it for shits and giggles like the original Street Fighter film, or is a just a complete waste of time?

Don't bother.

The Van Damme movie is entertaining, even if for the wrong reasons. Legend of Chun-Li is thoroughly boring on top of being terribly written.

I'm only interested in seeing this if it's completely different from whatever the franchise has been like for the past 15 years.

I don't care how different it is, honestly.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't know what's to be upset over. Terrible is a perfect representation of what Sonic's been for the last 15 years.

The whole dark & edgy thing, as well as the mix of cg and live action is trend that is slowly dying out. Frozen and The Lego Movie proved you can have big family oriented animated movies and they can kick ass at the box office! Hell, they are rebooting Smurfs(into a fully animated movie and keeping the designs more closely to resemble the Peyo comics), the new Peanuts CG teaser showed they sticking closely to the source material, and there's other take about more full animated movies in the future(Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers). If they knew any good, they might want to try to ride this sweet wave. Would be a shame if Sonic Boom actually succeeds and this movie fuckin fails.

Uwe Boll, where are you when we need you for something like this?

And now I'm depressed because I was reminded about the $12 I spent to see that abortion of a SF movie.

Rulp

Sometimes I wonder if there is a secret committee of people specifically dedicated to making Sonic shit.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Probably a disaster in the making but guys without using numbers what are the chances of this being a smash hit?

Brad bird and Phil Johston... Hahahahahahahaha
Don't make me laugh, they will never do a project like this and even if they did by some divine grace, they would change any gritty realistic script into a children animation movie with no humans at all, and because SEGA will say no to that (because they are idiots) the would leave the project as fast as they could.

No, this is all kinds of wrong. Sonic is suppose to be a cartoon. Sonic is not gritty, dark, and edgy. They tried that with Shadow the Hedgehog and failed. The only way I can see this turning out good is if it is a film version of SatAM.

Ramune

This premise is from someone that just wants Sonic to have just as bad a movie as his former rival Mario. So the world will be in balance as that's their sacred duty.

Also think this is fake.

Honestly, good. I love Sonic the Hedgehog but aside from the classics, CD, Generations, and a few guilty pleasures such as Sonic Adventure 2 and the OVA movie, the series has largely become a joke to myself and my friends. If this is true, definitely going high as fuq.

Sasukekun

Neo Member
Sega should go ahead and ask Disney to help them make a Sonic film.
No doubt it'd probably be the games related film we all want to see.

The whole dark & edgy thing, as well as the mix of cg and live action is trend that is slowly dying out. Frozen and The Lego Movie proved you can have big family oriented animated movies and they can kick ass at the box office! Hell, they are rebooting Smurfs(into a fully animated movie and keeping the designs more closely to resemble the Peyo comics), the new Peanuts CG teaser showed they sticking closely to the source material, and there's other take about more full animated movies in the future(Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers). If they knew any good, they might want to try to ride this sweet wave. Would be a shame if Sonic Boom actually succeeds and this movie fuckin fails.

This. I was gonna make a snide comment about "God forbid anything should ever be colorful and fun!" but then I thought about it and there are a few people out there who get it.

Pixar obviously comes to mind, but the Lego Movie also was great, colorful, fun, not at all dark or gritty, and Nintendo never really tried for Dark And Gritty™ even when it was at its peak of trendiness. I hope the market rewards them and we see some more quality family-friendly stuff in the future.

Aside : There's a time for dark and gritty, something like Batman comes to mind - he's made to be dark and gritty - but not everything has to be that way. Man of Steel would have been better if it was any fun at all!

Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png

Because going "dark and edgy" for Sonic the bloody Hedgehog went so well last time.

Literally came in JUST to post this. Thank you.

"Dark and edgy" are the last two words I want associated with Sonic. He's an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog fighting robots with his animal friends--there are only so many workable angles you can take with that premise.

Sigh. This just makes me hope Sonic Boom is good. I think Sonic needs a complete and total reboot (complete with Sonic Team being dissolved for good) in order for the series to reach it's former glory. Despite enjoying Generations Sonic has had so so many shit titles over the years I can't hear about a new Sonic game without cringing.

I like hearing twenty and thirty-somethings talking shit about a series kids still love because they outgrew it.

Games don't have to be shit just because they're kids games.

Top Bottom