• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 1 in 5 PS4s sold since Pro's release are PS4 Pros

amdb00mer

I still think releasing the Pro and PSVR in the same time frame hurt them. How not to fracture your consumer base 101. MS waiting a year plus to release Scorpio and only release the Xbox One S model was the better choice. It may not seem like it now, but it will be in the long run.

So how many PS4s have sold since the Pro launched? Should be pretty easy to calculate Pro's total from there...

We're 6+ months since it launched and Sony just had their best year ever with 17 million consoles sold to consumers, if memory serves me correctly. If we assume that extrapolates to 16 million console sales November to November this year and up until now we're looking at 8-10 million of that sold by now (as the majority are sold in the run-up to Christmas), then I think my earlier prediction is not far off the mark:

Seems reasonable. I guess since late last year that probably equates to something in the region of 1.5 - 2 million.

Astral Dog

Only 1 and 5?

Okay, I got to say something otherwise that's super duper bait. I sorta expected the average consumer to go for the higher end - was the Pro pushed and bundled as much as the Slim?
No lots of Slim bundldes even after pro announcement Sony was very clear on what the Pro is and isn't so the price and games won

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have you ever read some of the Microsoft PR spin on NPD day?

People need to know that the Xbox One is the best selling console between 2 and 4 am, every other Tuesday in months that have 31 days.

cheesekao

I still think releasing the Pro and PSVR in the same time frame hurt them. How not to fracture your consumer base 101. MS waiting a year plus to release Scorpio and only release the Xbox One S model was the better choice. It may not seem like it now, but it will be in the long run.
Both products exceeding expectations is hurting them...how?

Vashetti

Banned
Couldn't we make a reasonable prediction of the total sales going by Sony's closest announcement of sales back in November, and their most recent?

Wereroku

I guess I don't see those as great numbers, but if that's under supply constraint, maybe. I also don't see how that bodes well for Scorpio.

They are selling everything they produce. The numbers are not higher because they can't make them fast enough. This is also what Nintendo is running into. Scorpio will probably be fine as long as they target the right audience with it.

Both products exceeding expectations is hurting them...how?

Unfulfilled demand can eventually lead to lost customers. Most companies don't want to be to far under or over. Sony went a bit conservative on the pro and vr but luckily they don't have any competition for frustrated consumers to jump to and they should have it sorted before the scorpio launches.

Sony sold through 6.2 million Ps4 in the Holiday season
Sony sold in 2.9 million Ps4 in Q1 2017

Ps 4 Pro sold through as of March 2017 <1.8 million

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was one of the five.

Decent enough numbers for a $100 expensive unit i guess. Surprised at the lack of Pro bundles Sony's putting out. Seems like they're saving it to counter Scorpio.

jts

...hate me...
Pro doesn't seem worth it, so I'm not shocked the Slim outsells it 4:1.

Had no idea it was supply constrained. Can walk to my local supermarket and find the shelves chock-full of Pros.

big_z

That's some PR spin right there. 20% is disappointing and im not sure where this severe constraint is coming from. It's in stock everywhere in North America. It's not selling well in Japan but maybe Europe is where its popular since that's sony land.

Low Pro sales is why Microsoft needs to be super aggressive with scorpio on top of justifying its existence.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No idea what their expectations were, but not surprising to me. The average joe Gamer isn't that fussed about graphics and is more likely to stick with their regular PS4, while average Joes that hadn't bought in yet where more likely to bet swayed by one of the super cheap slim bundles. A lot, at least of those remotely aware of what it is, probably think it's only worth it with a 4K TV they don't have/plan to buy soon as well.

I love mine, and I'm glad I upgraded, but it always seemed clear that these mid gen upgrades would be for enthusiasts while the cheaper Slim bundles still sold a lot more. It will be interesting to see how Scorpio does as it's later in the gen, an update to a console that's sold a lot less units, and more of a power boost (though maybe at a higher price as well).

eerik9000

Surprisingly good share, IMHO, considering I had to wait until April to get one at a reasonable price.

That's some PR spin right there. 20% is disappointing and im not sure where this severe constraint is coming from. It's in stock everywhere in North America. It's not selling well in Japan but maybe Europe is where its popular since that's sony land.

Low Pro sales is why Microsoft needs to be super aggressive with scorpio on top of justifying its existence.

YTD PS4 sales in Japan are 19% Pro, so slightly below WW average. Seems good to me.

cheesekao

Unfulfilled demand can eventually lead to lost customers. Most companies don't want to be to far under or over. Sony went a bit conservative on the pro and vr but luckily they don't have any competition for frustrated consumers to jump to and they should have it sorted before the scorpio launches.
I can see the possibility of that happening but the poster went on to say "How not to fracture your consumer base 101" and that's far from an issue.

Joni

It feels like a good ratio. People will go for the cheaper option as that already offers quality that people want.

tzare

I wonder if this means this mid-gen refreshes are here to stay. I gues it will depend on how it performs in the future too, and also how does Scorpio perform.

Baleoce

It's good considering it's basically just an iteration designed to appeal to a niche subsection of their consumer base.

FelipeMGM

I dont know numbers from November, so the exact amount of Pro's will be hard to tell, especially because that was the launch month for the console too.

But, from December 6 to March 31st, they have sold (in) 10M PS4's, which would put 8M slims/old models and 2M Pro's

Shin

Banned
This might help with the math for whoever wants to take a crack at it.
3226871-sales.jpg

KORNdoggy

seems about right. it's selling ok for what it is but the standard PS4 is selling much better due to a lower price point and having the exact same games.

it's just like what MS anticipate after they launch the scorpio. most sales will still come from the standard xbox. not the scorpio.

It's a great number. The PS4 Pro targets a core gamer niche that owns a 4k set with a significantly higher price point. It's actually quite fantastic.

I still think releasing the Pro and PSVR in the same time frame hurt them.

I can see no evidence of that at all.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I wonder if this means this mid-gen refreshes are here to stay. I gues it will depend on how it performs in the future too, and also how does Scorpio perform.

I would say they are here to stay, people will start talking about a PS5 Pro about 6 months after release. I would say Scorpio will do about 30% of XB1 sales.

MrBenchmark

I'm surprised by the supply comment since every time I'm in my local Target/Walmart they always have a case full of Pro systems and PSVR units. I mean that just in my area that I'm seeing this but they haven't been Out of stick for a while.

jts

...hate me...
I don't believe the chances are great. The yearly updated phones basically always sell more than last year's model, even being more expensive. This is just selling a fraction of it, so it doesn't quite mimic the success.

EGM1966

Is it good?
For the high end option I'd say solid but not amazing from my experience in retail. Certainly decent enough for Sony I'd imagine.

Only 1 and 5?

Okay, I got to say something otherwise that's super duper bait. I sorta expected the average consumer to go for the higher end - was the Pro pushed and bundled as much as the Slim?

You'd assume wrong then. Mostly with a mainline and premium model people buy the mainline - premium means premium.

This certainly makes me even more curious for how MS market/price Scorpio. I expect a large upgrade demand initially from the hardcore but if the device follows similar path to Pro (and if MS truly price/market it as the premium model and continue to push regular XB1 as mainline model it should) then it's clearly not going to change much in terms of overall global position between Sony and MS.

I wouldn't call these great numbers, and doesn't really back up the argument for the iterative cycle like some people wanted; though those are better numbers than I expected.

Rellik

Again proving that the majority of consumers care more about price than IQ: the Pro is a better buy, power-per-$-wise, but the Slim plays the same games cheaper. So that's what sells.

Which is how it's expected to be. This is a premium product, not designed to replace the OG PS4 in sales. But some people just don't seem to get this, just like those who seem to think Scorpio is going to match OG Xbox One sales. It won't.

kadotsu

Banned
The more interesting number is that 40% of sold Pro systems are upgrades from the regular model. You could argue that some of the regular systems go back into the cheaper second hand market to expand the user base but I'm feeling confident in saying that the high end model isn't the best way to expand your base. This could be concerning for competitors that are in desperate need to bring people into their ecosystem with a high end model. The whole article makes it pretty clear that price and content are king in getting people into your ecosystem.

Between a $299 console and a $399 one with barely any difference to most average consumers, which do you think the majority of them will buy?

sphinx

the piano man
here in Germany the OG PS4 was phased out in stores, they are nowhere

you only get either the Slim or the Pro.

that being said, I wonder what the comment is referring too, is that worldwide? US?

napata

They are selling everything they produce. The numbers are not higher because they can't make them fast enough. This is also what Nintendo is running into. Scorpio will probably be fine as long as they target the right audience with it.

That's not true. There's always been plenty of stock in Europe. Retailers around here are even offering discounts and unofficial bundles. Pro + Horizon is €400 right now around here.

jeffram

How's that PR spin exactly?

Why is 20% disappointing? Because you expected more? that 20% helped bost Playstation to their best selling year. The ratio is not as important as the quantity in determining a product's success.

The PS4pro is unprecedented, there's nothing to benchmark it to say that 20% is a failure any more than 50% is a failure. Sony is looking at overall Playstation sales, as PS4 pro and PS4 all support the same ecosystem and revenue streams. At the end of the day Sony is still killing it in overall sales.

Kyoufu

It's been in and out of stock on Amazon.com since it launched. I don't see the PR spin here.

jobrro

Seems okay.

Basically all the big three have two options that need to be supported by games by the end of the year. I suppose devs should get used to it. PS4 and PS4 Pro. Xbone and Scorio. Switch docked and undocked.

Gurish

What is it with Sony releasing all kind of statistics and data a week before E3, does it mean they want to dedicate the press conference to games games games only? :)

considering its a premo product, I think its good

My guess would be that Scorpio percentage could be even higher since they have a smaller install base and enthusiasts seem to be making up a higher percentage for them.

consumers aren't onboard with the Xbox brand this gen - not sure how a refresh with the same games will do

Griss

I have never once regretted upgrading to my Pro, just wish I had done it before playing FFXV.

But in particular, The Last Guardian and Just Cause 3 , saw significant framerate improvement on the Pro that hugely mattered to my experience with those games (Just Cause 3 runs absolutely fine - amazing for a game with that reputation). And Horizon at 4k was simply an insane visual feast.

So worth it. (That said I did get a great buyer for my old PS4 which helped a lot, total upgrade cost ended up being only about 170.)

Mikey Jr.

So this will be the new trend going forward.

Ps5
PS5 pro

Etc.

Just hope the next pro maybe has a little more beef to it.

Top Bottom