• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

As I told before, "sold-throught" was a smart term for shipped.

AMD just confirmed that.

We all could read at the bottom of the sony's statement that it was SCEI estimatives.

Of course, because them have the control over factories and distribution. But nothing more.

It was never real SOLD.

Just stop.

Embarassing, really.

AMD just confirmed that.

We all could read at the bottom of the sony's statement that it was SCEI estimatives.

Of course, because them have the control over factories and distribution. But nothing more.

It was never real SOLD.

Sold-through = shipped = liez?

Just stahp.

Even then, you are assuming that the Xbox One is only at 1 million in the UK, and not higher. It could be as high as 1.4m or 1.5m. That would bring Xbox One LTD in those 2 countries to either 7.6m or 7.7m.
Some of your estimates seem a bit generous. MS announced 1M sold through in the UK on November 20th, after almost exactly a year of sales. You have them selling as much as 500k more in the 5-6 weeks that follow, which seems rather unlikely, especially given that we know Sony outsold them over that same period. Then at the end, you bring in an additional 400k-500k seemingly for the sole purpose of hitting a 10M target.

More to the point, as I've been saying, it's quite unlikely that MS had only a few hundred thousand unsold units at the end of the year. They had 900k unsold at launch, after all; nearly a quarter of their shipment. By comparison, Sony had 300k unsold — a mere 7% of their shipment — thanks primarily to heavy airlifting of units to meet demand. It's highly unlikely MS finished 2014 with much less than 1M unsold, which would put them at roughly 9.5M sold through.

AMD just confirmed that.

It was never real SOLD.

You+Can%27t+Handle+The+Truth.gif

Biker19

Banned
Yeah, but SONY didn't win any NPD after Xbone price cut.

A $50 price cut alone won't do squat from this point on, especially when Assassin's Creed Unity is old news now.

AMD just confirmed that.

It was never real SOLD.

And the jealousy comes pouring out...

Some of your estimates seem a bit generous. MS announced 1M sold through in the UK on November 20th, after almost exactly a year of sales. You have them selling as much as 500k more in the 5-6 weeks that follow, which seems rather unlikely, especially given that we know Sony outsold them over that same period. Then at the end, you bring in an additional 400k-500k seemingly for the sole purpose of hitting a 10M target.

More to the point, as I've been saying, it's quite unlikely that MS had only a few hundred thousand unsold units at the end of the year. They had 900k unsold at launch, after all; nearly a quarter of their shipment. By comparison, Sony had 300k unsold — a mere 7% of their shipment — thanks primarily to heavy airlifting of units to meet demand. It's highly unlikely MS finished 2014 with much less than 1M unsold, which would put them at roughly 9.5M sold through.

it sold 110k+ on Black Friday week, and then had all of December, 1.4m should be achievable, 1.3m at the bare minimum

and if you choose to ignore actual sell-through in favor of your own estimations, that is your choice, but don't expect the rest of us to go with it

ZhugeEX

Banned

I understand where you're coming from but If I remember correctly X1 was over 1.1m as of December 1st in the UK. So it's not not too hard to see 1.2m (as I've put in my past post) or even 1.3m/1.4m during the busiest month of the year. 1.5m is certainly too high.

But welfare, and myself haven't plucked these numbers out of nowhere. It is very obvious that sell through could easily be over 10m. It's what I've been saying all along.

I think you're really underestimating ROW markets. Like I said before, the numbers show that what I've said all along is pretty much true. Now I'm not saying the Xbox One is selling well outside the US. It's not. But it's certainly selling something.

the methodology behind the 18.5 million units is defined by scei as the following:

1) Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI.

2) PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 –1/4/2015.

3) PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015,

4) PS4 sales data in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015,

5) PS4 sales data in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.

i have no idea how explicitly stating "number of retail sales to consumers" is in any way ambiguous or suggests anything else but "real sales."

Alo0oy

Banned
the methodology behind the 18.5 million units is defined by scei as the following:

1) Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI.

2) PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 –1/4/2015.

3) PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015,

4) PS4 sales data in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015,

5) PS4 sales data in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.

i have no idea how explicitly stating "number of retail sales to consumers" is in any way ambiguous or suggests anything else but "real sales."

Shhh, only conspiracy theories allowed.

Welfare

400k-500k in a 5-6 week period. Sales jumped in the UK thanks to bundles and a price drop. Also that 1 million number was announced before Black Friday, and there was news that both the PS4 and Xbox One sales doubled on that day. Then you factor in December, 400k is doable. 500k is sorta stretching it. Also it doesn't matter if the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One in December.

At the bold, are you assuming that during a 4 month period, which includes launch month, 1 off month, and 2 holiday months, 28 countries would not add 400k-500k sales, when 8 countries back in 2013 with only 2 months did 558k combined?

900k unsold can be attributed to MS thinking that more people would buy the system at launch, and the demand wouldn't fall. Also, we only have word about one DC having ~3k units sitting in the US, and German retailers are having trouble selling the console after Christmas. Those two situations don't tell us what every other country is experiencing. It's actually unlikely that MS would have more than 1 million units unsold, because unlike in 2013, they would know what kind of demand the console has.

Because some keep insisting that Sony is lying...

I thought we already established that

a. Sony would be in big trouble for lying about units sold
b. those insisting that the numbers are rigged are just haters in undeniable denial

Besides, if we get shipped numbers that are like ~20m, who's to say the haters won't say Sony's lying about those numbers too?

AMD just confirmed that.

It was never real SOLD.

This is what I would refer to as a mini meltdown starter kit.

Raist

Banned
I understand where you're coming from but If I remember correctly X1 was over 1.1m as of December 1st in the UK. So it's not not too hard to see 1.2m (as I've put in my past post) or even 1.3m/1.4m during the busiest month of the year. 1.5m is certainly too high.

But welfare, and myself haven't plucked these numbers out of nowhere. It is very obvious that sell through could easily be over 10m. It's what I've been saying all along.

I think you're really underestimating ROW markets. Like I said before, the numbers show that what I've said all along is pretty much true. Now I'm not saying the Xbox One is selling well outside the US. It's not. But it's certainly selling something.

You could get slightly different results by looking at other metrics though.

For instance, the US:RotW sold-through ratio was 1.5 at the end of 2013.
If we considered it stayed roughly the same, that means significantly less than 10M sold-through after 2014.

It's difficult to estimate how much that ratio might have changed. One the one hand, the RotW potential market has increased with the XB1 being shipped to more countries.

But that only happened in September, mostly in markets that are traditionally not very good for MS, and sales in most of the original 13 launch countries did not maintain as well as in the US through 2014, potentially increasing the US:RotW ratio.

It's hard to tell, really.

Alo0oy

Banned
400k-500k in a 5-6 week period. Sales jumped in the UK thanks to bundles and a price drop. Also that 1 million number was announced before Black Friday, and there was news that both the PS4 and Xbox One sales doubled on that day. Then you factor in December, 400k is doable. 500k is sorta stretching it. Also it doesn't matter if the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One in December.

At the bold, are you assuming that during a 4 month period, which includes launch month, 1 off month, and 2 holiday months, 28 countries would not add 400k-500k sales, when 8 countries back in 2013 with only 2 months did 558k combined?

900k unsold can be attributed to MS thinking that more people would buy the system at launch, and the demand wouldn't fall. Also, we only have word about one DC having ~3k units sitting in the US, and German retailers are having trouble selling the console after Christmas. Those two situations don't tell us what every other country is experiencing. It's actually unlikely that MS would have more than 1 million units unsold, because unlike in 2013, they would know what kind of demand the console has.

Unsold doesn't mean it's at retail shelves, it means part of the 1 million is in transit. That's why people are predicting 20m PS4s shipped, despite selling out in PAL territories.

They're all dirty lying corporations. Especially the people that wear suits at those companies. What scumbags. They lie to us, lie to them, lie to everyone. They're probably lying about having made a console to begin with. Videogames are lies. All lies. Follow the money. They lie so much that they believe each other because of the lies. MS believes Sony and Sony believes MS and wall street believes both because of the fluoride in the water, man. The 1% is blinding you with their lies. Wake up! Trust no one! The truth is out there!

My goodness. There is absolutely zero incentive for these corporations to doctor their books for some console PR war. There are hundreds of people who spend their working lives making sure the reported numbers are as accurate as possible.

The conspiracy theories are astoundingly stupid.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You could get slightly different results by looking at other metrics though.

For instance, the US:RotW sold-through ratio was 1.5 at the end of 2013.
If we considered it stayed roughly the same, that means significantly less than 10M sold-through after 2014.

It's difficult to estimate how much that ratio might have changed. One the one hand, the RotW potential market has increased with the XB1 being shipped to more countries.

But that only happened in September, mostly in markets that are traditionally not very good for MS, and sales in most of the original 13 launch countries did not maintain as well as in the US through 2014, potentially increasing the US:RotW ratio.

It's hard to tell, really.

I think you've got that one wrong mate.

In 2013, Xbox One sold through 3 million units to end customers.
1.8 million were in the USA. 1.2m were in the ROW.

In 2014 there were 4.4m units sold through in the USA to end users.
Using that same ratio that means that ROW would be at ~2.9m. So that would mean

2013 = 1.8m (USA) + 1.2m (ROW)
2014 = 4.4m (USA) + 2.9m (ROW)

= 10.3m

So yeah, your ratio is wrong. It's 1 to 1.5 in favour of the USA.

And we already know that in 2014 there was at least 5.7m units sold through in 2014 in 5 out of the ~40 or so regions MS launched X1 in. add that to the 3.0m for 2013 and you're already at 8.7m without accounting for an additional 35 or so regions in 2014. And I'd fully expect sales in 2014 for ROW to be higher than sales in 2013 for ROW so that means that I'd say at a bare minimum we're talking 9.3m+. But to be safe I'm only really saying 8.7m is the number we have without estimating anything else.

What I actually think and can see evidence for is 10m+ sold through at this point.

AMD just confirmed that.

It was never real SOLD.

4asCwKg.gif

AMD just confirmed that.

It was never real SOLD.

roy-walker.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned

Another way of saying it is this.

3.0m sold in 2013
USA: 1.8m
ROW: 1.2m

2013 to 2014 ratio

USA 1800k = 4400k (x3.0)
UK 364k = +1100k (x3.0+)
FRA 126k = 416k (x3.3)
GER 100k = 270k+ (x2.7)

In 2014, sales across 4 markets increased 3x as much compared to 2013.
USA from 1.8m to 4.4m.
If we apply that to the 1.2m for ROW then we get 3.6m

Add that together and we get 11m. Now that's just an extreme example. But it shows that sales in 2014 for X1 (in ROW) will be higher than sales in 2013 which just accounted for two months, especially when you consider 26 new markets got X1 as well in 2014.

Even just keeping the same number of sales for ROW in 2013 (1.2m) for 2014 would show a minimum of 8.6m sold through, but we've already shown how sales are higher than that using just the UK, USA, GER, FRA and Japan. So no doubt sales will be more than 8.6m and closer to 10m if not exceeding.

On Demand

Banned

Conduit

Banned
Nah.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames

Xbox One was the best selling product in December. PS4 was 15.

Nope. Amazon has been 100 percent accurate so far on which sold more. Still not a guarantee of anything though.

No, the XB1 lead in November and December on Amazon. The PS4 is leading on Amazon (and Amazon best sellers) and Walmart and Bestbuy and has lead for quite some time in January. I can provide links but I don't think they're allowed here.

It was in hourly chart. I mean, when BF started, PS4 was above Xbone on Amazon as long as it lasted.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah, but SONY didn't win any NPD after Xbone price cut.
Hate to break it to you but (if Amazon rankings remain as reliable as they've been in the past 14 months) it looks like the PS4 is going to win January, and the XB1 isn't doing too hot on the hourly even since it went right back to $349.

Raist

Banned
I think you've got that one wrong mate.

In 2013, Xbox One sold through 3 million units to end customers.
1.8 million were in the USA. 1.2m were in the ROW.

In 2014 there were 4.4m units sold through in the USA to end users.
Using that same ratio that means that ROW would be at ~2.9m. So that would mean

2013 = 1.8m (USA) + 1.2m (ROW)
2014 = 4.4m (USA) + 2.9m (ROW)

= 10.3m

The problem with your calculation is applying the ratio twice.

6.2*1.5 = 9.3.

Maths are weird :p

e-gamer

And am sure you have evidence disproving what they have said.

The best evidence is half of GAF members trying to do a simple math through countless pages to figure out the real sold numbers where there's nothing more than "almost 10 mi shipped" plus "18,5mi sold-through" equals "nearly 30 million shipped"...

ZhugeEX

Banned
The problem with your calculation is applying the ratio twice.

6.2*1.5 = 9.3.

Maths are weird :p

Am I?

I don't think so? 1:1.5 is the same as 2:3.

So if we take the USA at 6.2m then ROW would be ~4.1m. 6.2+4.1=10.3

I don't get what you're trying to say?

Chobel

The best evidence is half of GAF members trying to do a simple math through countless pages to figure out the real sold numbers where there's nothing more than "almost 10 mi shipped" plus "18,5mi sold-through" equals "nearly 30 million shipped"...

LOL! So you still think Sony is lying?

Raist

Banned
Am I?

I don't think so? 1:1.5 is the same as 2:3.

So if we take the USA at 6.2m then ROW would be ~4.1m. 6.2+4.1=10.3

I don't get what you're trying to say?

Nevermind, I'm tired :p

But yeah, it's hard to tell if the ratio stayed that way, considering how sales picked up in the US but slowed down in several countries in Europe.

Try again. All those posts are trying to figure out Xbone numbers. Sony clearly stated what they sold.

Top Bottom