• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

Javin98

Banned
Another way of saying it is this.

3.0m sold in 2013
USA: 1.8m
ROW: 1.2m

2013 to 2014 ratio

USA 1800k = 4400k (x3.0)
UK 364k = +1100k (x3.0+)
FRA 126k = 416k (x3.3)
GER 100k = 270k+ (x2.7)

In 2014, sales across 4 markets increased 3x as much compared to 2013.
USA from 1.8m to 4.4m.
If we apply that to the 1.2m for ROW then we get 3.6m

Add that together and we get 11m. Now that's just an extreme example. But it shows that sales in 2014 for X1 (in ROW) will be higher than sales in 2013 which just accounted for two months, especially when you consider 26 new markets got X1 as well in 2014.

Even just keeping the same number of sales for ROW in 2013 (1.2m) for 2014 would show a minimum of 8.6m sold through, but we've already shown how sales are higher than that using just the UK, USA, GER, FRA and Japan. So no doubt sales will be more than 8.6m and closer to 10m if not exceeding.
Sales are undoubtedly above 8.6 million but I doubt that sales have exceeded 10 million yet. I would put the range somewhere at 9-9.7 million.

GeoramA

The best evidence is half of GAF members trying to do a simple math through countless pages to figure out the real sold numbers where there's nothing more than "almost 10 mi shipped" plus "18,5mi sold-through" equals "nearly 30 million shipped"...
This shit's hilarious.

We don't have to figure out anything. Sony comes out and tells us PS4's sales numbers. You really think they would lie to the public? To their shareholders? That's some paranoid shit.

Drencrom

apparently though, he's not the only individual who thinks something is off about sony's numbers.

So, you believe some crazed fanboy's interpretation of sales over an international company's official sales report that is most likely accumulated and processed through a ton of third-parties?

Lol

e-gamer

This shit's hilarious.

We don't have to figure out anything. Sony comes out and tells us PS4's sales numbers. You really think they would lie to the public? To their shareholders? That's some paranoid shit.

Of course they didn't lie to their shareholders nor the public. But the shareholders know best what "sold-through" means!

Of course they didn't lie to their shareholders nor the public. But the shareholders know best what "sold-through" means!

So you're saying the language that states to consumers is a lie?

You really think shipped= sold-in = sold-through?

You've jumped the shark straight into the mouth of Jonah's whale. You've canceled all logic and are now tripped in a smelly, deep, acidic mess.

They are ok. These are official sell through figures. Why are we going around in circles?

(Unless you mean Sony forgot to factor in the 1% of population in China buying PS4?)
I guess gaf's gonna run that joke into the ground. But No, I meant crapgamer possibly making others believe in his conspiracy theories.

So, you believe some crazed fanboy's interpretation of sales over an international company's official sales report that is most likely accumulated and processed through a ton of third-parties?

Lol
No not me. but from the looks of some other posters in this thread.
I find it funny. But it's a trivial issue. People are entitled to believe whatever they want, even if what they hold to be true is the exact opposite of that. They are just not interesting to discuss... :)
Yeah, I suppose you're right. No true need to continue giving his video and beliefs attention.

Just two days from now?

Yeah.

We'll be able to make some educated extrapolation by then whether or not AMD's 'nearly 30 million' is them saying it out of knowledge of actual shipment, or just using publicly available figures.

Too bad it'll most be a 'guess' only because chances of "Xbox Family" figures are pretty high.

400k-500k in a 5-6 week period. Sales jumped in the UK thanks to bundles and a price drop. Also that 1 million number was announced before Black Friday, and there was news that both the PS4 and Xbox One sales doubled on that day. Then you factor in December, 400k is doable. 500k is sorta stretching it. Also it doesn't matter if the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One in December.

At the bold, are you assuming that during a 4 month period, which includes launch month, 1 off month, and 2 holiday months, 28 countries would not add 400k-500k sales, when 8 countries back in 2013 with only 2 months did 558k combined?
Those 28 countries are kinda tiny, so no, it seems unlikely they would roughly equal the other 8. Don't forget, a lot of those countries were originally scheduled to be part of Tier 1, but they didn't make the cut like Spain did, where they've likely sold a total of like 60k over 14 months.

I guess my point is that while there's a good chance I'm underestimating not-US, I think there's a good chance you guys are overestimating it.

900k unsold can be attributed to MS thinking that more people would buy the system at launch, and the demand wouldn't fall. Also, we only have word about one DC having ~3k units sitting in the US, and German retailers are having trouble selling the console after Christmas. Those two situations don't tell us what every other country is experiencing. It's actually unlikely that MS would have more than 1 million units unsold, because unlike in 2013, they would know what kind of demand the console has.
Bish sez: "I understand your emotional investment - but it was four dudes, from multiple districts, with screenshots and stubs to back it up.
feel free to lol further ;)"

And we already know that in 2014 there was at least 5.7m units sold through in 2014 in 5 out of the ~40 or so regions MS launched X1 in. add that to the 3.0m for 2013 and you're already at 8.7m without accounting for an additional 35 or so regions in 2014. And I'd fully expect sales in 2014 for ROW to be higher than sales in 2013 for ROW so that means that I'd say at a bare minimum we're talking 9.3m+. But to be safe I'm only really saying 8.7m is the number we have without estimating anything else.

What I actually think and can see evidence for is 10m+ sold through at this point.
What I'm saying is, your argument is that 10.3M sold through is "entirely possible." Sure, it's possible. You're also saying that 8.7M is entirely possible, though not nearly as emphatically. My argument is that while both numbers fall within the realm of possibility, neither are bloody likely.

If I say that something in the 9.3M-9.7M range seems like a reasonable guess given their likely shipments and apparently slow sales outside the US, you just come back with, "No, no, no! 10.3M is entirely possible!!" If I countered everyone's best guess with, "8.7M is entirely possible," would you feel like I was being a tad misleading?

That's why I've been suggesting working the problem from the other direction, while it's possible MS sold 10.3M, it's unlikely, given that they likely shipped around 10.5M. Maybe they shipped 10.7M, leaving Sony with merely 19.3M shipped and 800k unsold, but again, what reason do we have to think that Sony are sitting on twice as much unsold stock as MS? Retail musings seem to indicate the opposite, if anything.

Do you see where I'm coming from? You seem to be calculating their optimal performance, and then using it as some kind of baseline, and completely ignoring any potential ramifications on stock levels.

namDa65

I just bought mine today and I totally regret it. Realized I didn't want to buy any games for it... yet... please blood borne redeem my purchase.

Death2494

Yeah.

We'll be able to make some educated extrapolation by then whether or not AMD's 'nearly 30 million' is them saying it out of knowledge of actual shipment, or just using publicly available figures.

Too bad it'll most be a 'guess' only because chances of "Xbox Family" figures are pretty high.

My bet is on the latter.

They combined Xbox One and Xbox 360 for a reason. I'd have to go with surfer and say sold through is slightly north of 9.5 million

Welfare

Yup.

But chances are they'll combine Xbox One and Xbox 360 shipments which will make it impossible for us to 100% accurately assess how well the Xbox One did in 2014.

I'm sure we can get an approximation by removing any potential 360 number. MS shipped 3.5m in Q2 FY2014. They shipped 5.9m in the previous year to that. This year it's going to go down faster.

You do realize that in a few weeks Sony is going to do their quarterly reports, right? And that they give their shipped numbers there, right? And that their shipped number will be significantly higher than their sell through to consumers number of 18.5 million and this will paint you into a corner because you are claiming the numbers are the same, right?

Death2494

You do realize that in a few weeks Sony is going to do their quarterly reports, right? And that they give their shipped numbers there, right? And that their shipped number will be significantly higher than their sell through to consumers number of 18.5 million and this will paint you into a corner because you are claiming the numbers are the same, right?

Yes, I'm expecting Sony to announce 20 million shipped as of December 31, 2014.

Those 28 countries are kinda tiny, so no, it seems unlikely they would roughly equal the other 8. Don't forget, a lot of those countries were originally scheduled to be part of Tier 1, but they didn't make the cut like Spain did, where they've likely sold a total of like 60k over 14 months.

I guess my point is that while there's a good chance I'm underestimating not-US, I think there's a good chance you guys are overestimating it.

no, I'm fairly sure you are underestimating it if you honestly think the US suddenly crawled up to like 2/3 of total sales not just YTD, but LTD

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How do you buy a console and only realize after the fact that you dont want to play any games on it!?

Chobel

Bish said that in early December, XB1 was at 8.3-8.5 million sold-though WW. XB1 sold 1.3 million in December NPD, between November 29th and this "early December" date XB1 should have sold 100k-300k units so that leaves 1.0-1.2 million unit for the rest of December NPD tracking period.
So ignoring sales from RoTW in the month of December, XBO is 9.7-9.3 million sold.

ZhugeEX

Banned

What I'm saying is, your argument is that 10.3M sold through is "entirely possible." Sure, it's possible. You're also saying that 8.7M is entirely possible, though not nearly as emphatically. My argument is that while both numbers fall within the realm of possibility, neither are bloody likely.

If I say that something in the 9.3M-9.7M range seems like a reasonable guess given their likely shipments and apparently slow sales outside the US, you just come back with, "No, no, no! 10.3M is entirely possible!!" If I countered everyone's best guess with, "8.7M is entirely possible," would you feel like I was being a tad misleading?

That's why I've been suggesting working the problem from the other direction, while it's possible MS sold 10.3M, it's unlikely, given that they likely shipped around 10.5M. Maybe they shipped 10.7M, leaving Sony with merely 19.3M shipped and 800k unsold, but again, what reason do we have to think that Sony are sitting on twice as much unsold stock as MS? Retail musings seem to indicate the opposite, if anything.

Do you see where I'm coming from? You seem to be calculating their optimal performance, and then using it as some kind of baseline, and completely ignoring any potential ramifications on stock levels.

The reason I say it can't be 8.7m is because that's assuming that the total sold for ~34 regions was 0. Now clearly that is impossible. I'm saying that 8.7m is as high as we can go using official hard data from 5 countries in 2014 + 2013 sell through figures.

We all know it's a fact that 2 months of sales in 2013 is going to be less than one full years sales in 2014, especially with launch in 26 new markets. Yes they're small but they're going to sell more than 1 unit each....

We know in 2014 that sales more than tripled compared to 2013 in USA, UK, GER, FRA. It's not too hard to believe that the same trends were seen in other countries as well but I'll take into account that X1 probably saw low sales outside these 4 main regions. Looking at Spain we can see it doubled sales in 2014 compared to 2013 launch (but sales are low there anyway) So using the ROW number for 2013 it's not hard to say that ROW must account for a lot more in 2014 than it did in 2013. Even if we take the baseline of sales for ROW in 2013 and use it for 2014 we're left with at a minimum of ~9.3/4m. Not hard to believe that ROW sales at least doubled in 2014 compared to 2 months in 2013. (Which would take us to 10m+)

Sorry if the above isn't worded correctly. It's late and I've probably made typos and stuff.

But it's not hard to see that 10m units sold through to end users can be a reality when you consider that it took 5 regions (out of 39) to sell through 5.7m units this year when 13 regions only sold through 3m last year.

Bish said that in early December, XB1 was at 8.3-8.5 million sold-though WW. XB1 sold 1.3 million in December NPD, between November 29th and this "early December" date XB1 should have sold 100k-300k units so that leaves 1.0-1.2 million unit for the rest of December NPD tracking period.
So ignoring sales from RoTW in the month of December, XBO is 9.7-9.3 million sold.

This is a good point that I've taken into consideration as well. And whilst I can't 100% say that we can trust the 8.3m number, it does fit in with my calculations and would show that X1 sell through figures would exceed 10m by the end of 2014.

Verendus

Banned
Instead of all this arguing back and forth, we should all resolve this unnecessary sexual tension with an avatar bet.

e-gamer, I got your back.

Death2494

6.2/9.3= .6666666667
or 2/3
just saying
In December, ROTW would would need to have to exceed 50 % of America meaning over 650k for it to hit over 10 million sold. It's dead in Japan, France, China, and Germany.

But it's not hard to see that 10m units sold through to end users can be a reality when you consider that it took 5 regions (out of 39) to sell through 5.7m units this year when 13 regions only sold through 3m last year.
Okay, so let's assume for a moment their sell through was 10M at the end of 2014. What would you estimate their sell in to be for the same period?

Welfare

They launched in an additional 29 countries in 2014. The total would be 42.

Facism

I just bought mine today and I totally regret it. Realized I didn't want to buy any games for it... yet... please blood borne redeem my purchase.

Take it back and buy again with bloodborne or keep it and buy The Evil Within.

Facism's easy guide to winning.

Death2494

I think you missed the part where I said "ignoring sales from RoTW in the month of December". XB1 sold more than 9.3 millions, most likely more than 10.0 millions.
we know the split is 60/40 with the USA/ROTW. 40% of 1.3 million is only 520k. This is best case scenario and it still falls short of 10million. So.... unless can show a major bump in sales besides the UK....

ZhugeEX

Banned
Okay, so let's assume for a moment their sell through was 10M at the end of 2014. What would you estimate their sell in to be for the same period?

Very hard question.

Based on the 10m number from November, and knowing that they potentially sold in that many by December (according to Satya) I would say that the sold in number could be close to around ~11m. Either higher or lower, but certainly not more than 11.5m and not less than 10.5m.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know 100%. AMD gives a good indication of around ~30m combined between PS4/X1. But I do have to wonder how exactly they worked that out as the data would have come from Microsoft and Sony themselves, as even though AMD supply the chips they don't ship out the units. Thankfully AMD are able to provide a good indication though. You probably won't believe me but I myself, over a year ago now, calculated and predicted that shipments would reach 29.7m cumulative units between X1 and PS4. Now I think it's higher slightly.

Chobel

we know the split is 60/40 with the USA/ROTW. 40% of 1.3 million is only 520k. This is best case scenario and it still falls short of 10million. So.... unless can show a major bump in sales besides the UK....

It doesn't work like that. 1.3 mil is the 60%, so 40% will be 0.86 mil.

Top Bottom