• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

King_Moc

Banned
Well if you call 2:1 PS2 like then I guess you're right. I just don't think 100m vs 50m~ is the same as 155m vs 24m.

PS4 is tracking way ahead of PS2. I don't think it'll get to 155m, but they'd need to fuck up badly to not go over 100m sold.

I can't see the XB1 selling 50m at all. There's only real interest for it in the USA and that's significantly muted compared to the interest that was in the 360. And before you say "but the 360 was a slow starter", Xbox is now an established brand. It should be flying out of the gates like the PS4 or the Wii.

ASIS

Well if you call 2:1 PS2 like then I guess you're right. I just don't think 100m vs 50m~ is the same as 155m vs 24m.

I don't think Xbone will reach 50 million though, and I also predict the PS4 will pass the 100m mark when all is said and done, and by that I mean after PS5 launches.

Riozaki

Banned
puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face.jpg

Chobel

I suspect that Japanese press releasee doesn't deal with the whole shipped/sold fiasco that we go through whenever Microsoft make a thread.

Sony had shipped 13.5m in November, so I think it is quite unlikely they have sold another 6 million units since.

PS4 Anniversary by PlayStation.Blog, on Flickr

Correction: Sony had shipped 13.5m by the end of September.

i think everyone is waiting for the big names to boost the ps4 in japan so they can have a larger userbase, maybe they fear the game is going to bomb if it's ps4 only. well, we have disgaea 5, but it's not gonna move hardware
Yeah, it's the usual stuff. Wait for FF, or RE, or GT, then Japan will light on fire. I wish developers would try to become the next FF, or RE and put some damn amazing RPG's out. I feel like last gen, Japan just skipped that cycle. I remember playing Valkyria Chronicles thinking this is the start of something amazing. What did I get? An excluisves Tales game on 360, NinoKuni, and finally some decent RPG's releasing when I already got a spankin' new PS4 -_-

Come on' Japan, I'm rooting for you! SF5/VF6/TK7/RE7/DQ11/FF15/P5, I hope it causes things to change over there so people get back in the game.

That's a bonkers number for 1 year...

Any word on sold through for XBO? They finished strong, wouldn't be surprised if they've hit 12.

Pandacon

I suspect that Japanese press releasee doesn't deal with the whole shipped/sold fiasco that we go through whenever Microsoft make a thread.

Sony had shipped 13.5m in November, so I think it is quite unlikely they have sold another 6 million units since.

I agree, 6 mil is rather unlikely, 5 mil I think is a more accurate number.

Xando

4.1 million sold in the holiday season alone, which ran from November 23 - January 3 in America, Europe and Latin America. For Japan and Asia that period was November 24 - January 4th.

PS4 really is a beast outside of the US.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, as already said: Sony shipped 13.5 millions as of September 30th, 2014. It wasn't what they shipped up to November. And shipped != sold-through, remember that.

Faustek

I hope this means that the Japanese devs that retreated to mobile may once again dip their toes on consoles and come west.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
4.1 million sold in the holiday season alone, which ran from November 23 - January 3 in America, Europe and Latin America. For Japan and Asia that period was November 24 - January 4th.

That is an insane amount of consoles for what amounts to a little over a month.

Top Bottom