• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony really doesn't give a fuck about expanding the PS4 player base with exclusives, huh?

I think Sony’s strategy is misunderstood this generation, which is perhaps fortunate for them because they’ve been so successful with it. I wouldn’t go so far as to say Sony doesn’t see the PC as competition, but they definitely don’t see it as the immediate, direct competition. Adopting the “PC/PS4” strategy has paid incredible dividends; while the ultra-hardcore complain about how “confusing” the terminology is and how they have so few “true exclusives,” in the interim they’ve been very successful at keeping games away from their primary competition and they are stomping them. And, hey, look at the result—the package they can offer publishers is a lot more interesting and lucrative for both parties than if they had to go forward with a “Sony or nothing” strategy. Sony is obviously happy, developers are happy (as they keep doing these deals), the projects overall are more profitable, Sony puts less skin in the game financially, and ultimately the game is available to more people overall.

For me, the more interesting question is how they transition away from hardware in 8-10 years. That’s obviously the long-term plan and is the aim of Playstation Now (not backwards compatibility, which continues to be the refrain of people who completely do not understand what the service is). I’m kind of excited to see how they transform the business overall; hardware exclusivity is obviously not the future.

The PC is not going away.

Here's hoping it's a spiritual successor to Snatcher. Would love a modern cyberpunk detective game.

*copy/pasted from the other thread*

This might be possible. He once expressed interest in doing a modern take on a Snatcher-style game. But he's also thrown around a ton of ideas over the year.

artsi

I just want to see Kojima on stage again, showing some new mad stuff to his audience.
Konami was such a dick for not letting him be seen anywhere this year.

Not surprising considering their history, that Sony throws money at risky IPs, and that they're both based in Japan.

Wonder how many tech resources Sony will support him with considering he has nothing unless he goes with a prebaked license engine like your unreals.

Good news though for Sony that's for sure. And better news for Kojima getting a quick cash/tech start up infusion. PC gets some love indirectly as well.
Until Dawn devs used the Killzone engine to make their game, so I would imagine he can pick and choose what he wants out of Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Studios or Santa Monica Studios.

I think Sony’s strategy is misunderstood this generation, which is perhaps fortunate for them because they’ve been so successful with it. I wouldn’t go so far as to say Sony doesn’t see the PC as competition, but they definitely don’t see it as the immediate, direct competition. Adopting the “PC/PS4” strategy has paid incredible dividends; while the ultra-hardcore complain about how “confusing” the terminology is and how they have so few “true exclusives,” in the interim they’ve been very successful at keeping games away from their primary competition and they are stomping them. And, hey, look at the result—the package they can offer publishers is a lot more interesting and lucrative for both parties than if they had to go forward with a “Sony or nothing” strategy. Sony is obviously happy, developers are happy (as they keep doing these deals), the projects overall are more profitable, Sony puts less skin in the game financially, and ultimately the game is available to more people overall.

For me, the more interesting question is how they transition away from hardware in 8-10 years. That’s obviously the long-term plan and is the aim of Playstation Now (not backwards compatibility, which continues to be the refrain of people who completely do not understand what the service is). I’m kind of excited to see how they transform the business overall; hardware exclusivity is obviously not the future.

Yeah its a win/win situation for them.

Rising_Hei

Sony will toot the fuck out of Kojima lol, you can be 100% sure of that

I was very glad that they gave shenmue 3 and Yu Suzuki the spotlight, i really hope they do as you say with Kojima as well.

As for that PS4/PC thing, Sony lets them do it to make "devs" happy, they are more likely to sign exclusive deals if they let a PC version of something happen, and i'm sure that they've seen that it doesn't hurt PS4 sales much whereas it really helps the developers, so it's a win-win scenario.

And i finally get why Kojim Productions logo was removed from everywhere lol

Rymuth

Succinct as always

IcAOVowl.jpg

Heh.

I burst out laughing at my desk. Holy shit.

I was very glad that they gave shenmue 3 and Yu Suzuki the spotlight, i really hope they do as you say with Kojima as well.
I mean, MGSV would get 5+ minute trailers in Sony conferences and that was just a marketing deal, they won't give a Kojima game they are publishing themselves less exposition than that.

Gammacide

I NEED a shirt and ideally a zip up hoodie with that logo. Fantastic news!! Hope he and his crew get to stretch their bizarre and wonderfully creative legs more now!!

well said...I just giggle inside when I see so many people correct others on what is/isn't exclusive. "this is on PC, not exclusive" etc...

For so many gamers out there, PC is not what they play there game titles on. If it's PC/PS4, it's only on PS4 to many. On forums, where a lot of people game on there PC, I guess they feel the platform isn't being recognized or something I dunno. But PC is the pillar of the industry it is never going anywhere. No need to get into these piss matches about what exclusive means, Sony simply wants the Playstation platform to be the most attractive, and you can work hand-in-hand with the PC to do that.

well said...I just giggle inside when I see so many people correct others on what is/isn't exclusive. "this is on PC, not exclusive" etc...

For so many gamers out there, PC is not what they play there game titles on. If it's PC/PS4, it's only on PS4 to many. On forums, where a lot of people game on there PC, I guess they feel the platform isn't being recognized or something I dunno. But PC is the pillar of the industry it is never going anywhere. No need to get into these piss matches about what exclusive means, Sony simply wants the Playstation platform to be the most attractive, and you can work hand-in-hand with the PC to do that.

It's another case of people mistaking GAF for the world.

eFKac

That's a very good post.

Yep I wonder how the future will unfold and how are they positioning themselves for it. Going the platform/software provider route seems to be the plan.

Raist

Banned
I guess we'll see Kojima @ Sony E3 2016 conference stage dropping a teaser trailer of the game.

Unless he and other former Konami staff that joined him have been secretly working on stuff, I wouldn't expect it. That'd be really, really quick.

Top Bottom