• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Doesn't matter whether PC is here to stay or not.

It's important to get PC base to buy a PS4 and buy games there, not necessarily converting, by proposing a compelling exclusive library, same with Xbox, there's not much distinction.

But that isn't an issue. Most pc players don't care about consoles and the other way around. Making a console exclusive thing is probably way cheaper than making it an exclusive all the way. Why pay a lot more for having little benefits.

Sojgat

PZUhgAF.jpg

I love the logo.

It's got a cyberpunk Corpus Monstrum thing happening.

Please be making some kind of mech game.

Hektor

That logo looks a bit to edgy for my taste, liked the fox more.

Good news to come home to tho.

Doesn't matter whether PC is here to stay or not.

It's important to get PC base to buy a PS4 and buy games there, not necessarily converting, by proposing a compelling exclusive library, same with Xbox, there's not much distinction.

The publisher with business experience who owns the property disagrees, so apparently you're wrong.

Daamn, this is huge for Sony. Day one but I expect the game to be ready in five years.
Hope it isn't a horror game, I want to play it, or VR only.
Lol, I guess this first stop after leaving Konami's building was Sony to sign the contract. I wonder if Konami will try to be an asshole and try to claim part of that new IP belongs to them because where created while Kojima was working by them.

Sinoox

Banned
It's also probably as great for him as it is for his fans to finally see something non Metal Gear related out of him. The dude's been saying he's done with the Metal Gear saga for over a decade. Sony no doubt will give him a lot more flexibility.

Genio88

I guess it will take at least 3 years from now to see this game released, i'm curious to see what it's about, perhaps even Kojima ain't sure yet, though i hope it'll be a huge single player experience rather than an online shooter

Loudninja

Well that was somewhat informative. Smells like it's just a marketing deal between kojpro and sony. "SCE is not investing in Kojima Productions. Cost of the contract is undisclosed. Cost is already incorporated. Impact is minimal."
Eh? thats what that sounds like to you?

Well that was somewhat informative. Smells like it's just a marketing deal between kojpro and sony. "SCE is not investing in Kojima Productions. Cost of the contract is undisclosed. Cost is already incorporated. Impact is minimal."

It's not just a marketing deal as Sony is publishing it as well.

stryke

So if this ends to be a Sony IP published by Sony on PC, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture gets confirmed, we are definitely seeing a trend here.

It's unlikelt to be a Sony IP, otherwise this arrangement would have been handled by Shu.

Nesther

What IP does Konami own? Is it possible Silent Hills is released?

There is no way Silent Hills is their game. It's entirely Konami owned.

But there's nothing stopping him from going into the horror genre. He's shown that he's great at it and the community loved his work.

It kind of sucks Kojima's games won't be multiplatform anymore, but it's amazing he refound his studio with Sony. He obviously has always had great relations with them, so it seems natural. It's also probably as great for him as it is for his fans to finally see something non Metal Gear related out of him. The dude's been saying he's done with the Metal Gear saga for over a decade and that's probably partly because Konami kept the franchise running with or without him.

Really excited to see Kojima get to do whatever he wants creatively now.
The game is coming out for PC.

J-Skee

So I read it as if this game does well it will become a franchise that Sony will produce and allow on the PC as well?

It's coming to PC regardless of sales. It's more like the Titanfall situation. Sony only has control of the first game in what could be a franchise. If sales are great, then they have the clout to say "See? Just stay with us. No need to develop for any other console." However, if sales aren't so great, ala Titanfall, then the next game, if there is one, has more of a chance to announced for other consoles.

iMax

Q22. Are there any possibilities for the title to be released on the next generation platform?

Kojima Productions has agreed to bring their very first software to PS4 as a console exclusive. We do not disclose further details.

giphy.gif

LifEndz

I think Kojima partnering with Sony is the best outcome. Focus on one platform, get the creative and financial support from a Publisher known to bet on risky projects.

No reason to be upset.

Exactly. Although if I were a Kojima fan and and only owned an X1, I'd be upset.

Busty

Banned

I think it's specificying that Kojima Productions isn't a first party studio. At the end of the day Sony aren't going to own the desks and chairs the team will be sitting on presumably they will fund the games development much like they did with Ready At Dawn with The Order.

Uhh, did we really need confirmation that it's not Silent Hills ? Who honestly believed that?

My thoughts exactly..., but this is a fast moving thread and as usual for big news like this there are lots of 'complicated feelings and agendas' at play.

packy34

It kind of sucks Kojima's games won't be multiplatform anymore, but it's amazing he refound his studio with Sony. He obviously has always had great relations with them, so it seems natural. It's also probably as great for him as it is for his fans to finally see something non Metal Gear related out of him. The dude's been saying he's done with the Metal Gear saga for over a decade. Sony no doubt will give him a lot more freedom. I'll probably have no choice but to buy a PS5 now.

PC is a platform, and arguably the best one.

So PS4 first and then a PC release later after an undisclosed time.

This is great news.Let Kojima and his team get funded, focus on one platform first and for his largest fan base then expand the IP later for extra profit.

I think Kojima and Sony struck a good deal.

What IP does Konami own? Is it possible Silent Hills is released?

Silent Hills is dead and Konami owns everything Kojima has worked on.

And they'll never sell their IP because it's too valuable to them in their pachinko endeavors.

Beefy

It's coming to PC regardless of sales. It's more like the Titanfall situation. Sony only has control of the first game in what could be a franchise. If sales are great, then they have the clout to say "See? Just stay with us. No need to develop for any other console." However, if sales aren't so great, ala Titanfall, then the next game, if there is one, has more of a chance to announced for other consoles.

That's exactly what I was saying.

Shame MGS is now dead to me.

Servbot24

Banned
Exactly. Although if I were a Kojima fan and and only owned an X1, I'd be upset.

How many of those people can there be though? I'm sure there are some, but Kojima has always been more associated with Sony, aside from the occasional press conference appearance.

Was anyone expecting any other outcome? Kojima's games are a key part of Playstation's brand identity so it's obvious that Sony would snap him up. Also it's nice to see Sony funding new exclusives and not depriving gamers on other hardware of full games and DLC.

Still it would have been nice if Nintendo signed Kojima instead, Just for the lols of watching NeoGAF burn, would have been the ultimate Kojima troll.

It kind of sucks Kojima's games won't be multiplatform anymore, but it's amazing he refound his studio with Sony. He obviously has always had great relations with them, so it seems natural. It's also probably as great for him as it is for his fans to finally see something non Metal Gear related out of him. The dude's been saying he's done with the Metal Gear saga for over a decade. Sony no doubt will give him a lot more freedom. I'll probably have no choice but to buy a PS5 now.

So first off it's a deal for ps4 and PC. So it's multiplatform. But really I think this studio will be formed to be like Platinum games where they can, if they want to, roam around to different publishers to do work. After this game he could make an NX game, or they could have enough money to do a multi console simultaneous release. Or partner up with MS for a new ip like platinum did with scale bound

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That non-compete was to run until the end of the year wasn't it?

In any case, I'm extremely happy for him. Double so in that he's able to keep the "Kojima Productions" name alive despite using it at Konami.

entremet

Game likely just started production, there's probably nothing to show yet.

I'm not talking about showing assets, but talking about the conceit of the game.

That non-compete was to run until the end of the year wasn't it?

In any case, I'm extremely happy for him. Double so in that he's able to keep the "Kojima Productions" name alive despite using it at Konami.

Dec 15.

Speculation was that he was blocked from PSX and The Game Awards because of that.

Top Bottom