• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor

Exile20

It's a shame to lose a player in the dedicated handheld market, but it's the only logical thing to do. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo handles it in the upcoming years.

with the vita out, it will be easier for Nintendo but mobile is a juggernaut.

Nightbird

It's a shame to see Sony go, but I bet that if Nintendo finds success in their NX Project, Sony will follow and release Handhelds again.

Shabad

As long as we get some cool niche japanese games, indies, and smaller downloadable only PS familly titles, I am cool with Vita staying around a couple more years. It's not like the titles releasing on the platform are pushing the boundaries of the hardware anyway atm, so what would be the point of a more powerful system ?

It's a shame to lose a player in the dedicated handheld market, but it's the only logical thing to do. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo handles it in the upcoming years.
Nintendo still has their own "Minecraft" in Pokemon so that should sustain their hardware for a while still as basically the only one doing dedicated handhelds as long as they don't fuck it up.

As for other devs supporting handhelds that's up in the air. Depends on what the NX is and how Nintendo's mobile ventures turn out, I guess.

Draxal

As long as we get some cool niche japanese games, indies, and smaller downloadable only PS familly titles, I am cool with Vita staying around a couple more years. It's not like the titles releasing on the platform are pushing the boundaries of the hardware anyway atm, so what would be the point of a more powerful system ?

The fact that the psp got so many titles for such a long time did hurt the Vita a ton.

viHuGi

Banned
Mobile is the new handheld, no chance for others. Mobile has killed Ps Vita and 3DS sales although 3DS still sells ok i guess.

The market we know will be split into 3 in the future:

Mobile (Simple and fun F2P Games, some gems like Nintendo games on it -> Pokémon and such)
Console (PS5, Xbox Two and NX)
Pc (Mainly because games Like Dota, CS, League and other Mobas and competitive FPS that will drive Pc)

Neoxon

Most of my playtime is on handhelds, so RIP playing on the go. Hopefully NX has a handheld version, but I'm not going to bet.
Actually, it wouldn't be a bad thing to bet on. Like I said earlier, Nintendo's slowing down 3DS support & unifying their development teams for a reason.

On-topic, the Vita at my friend's house was mainly a portable UMvC3 & P4G machine to him, but it's still sad to see Sony leave the market.

odhiex

I really wanted a psvita since it's announcement, and had been waiting for so long to get something like PSVita 3000 at least (well, also that Memory card price is the major hurdle for me)

After this year's Sony's TGS, I realised that it wouldn't be happening for a while. So I finally purchased the 2000 model, now i love it so much.

Please keep supporting this beautiful piece, Sony!

Snakeyes

I guess the NX Handheld won't have any competition next year. Though it's sad to see Sony leave the market. While their reason is justified, I do think that Nintendo needs some kind of competition in the dedicated gaming handheld market.
Smart devices are more than enough to keep Nintendo on their toes.

Petrae

Mobile is the new handheld, no chance for others. Mobile has killed Ps Vita and 3DS sales although 3DS still sells ok i guess.

The market we know will be split into 3 in the future:

Mobile
Console
Pc

Pretty much. Nintendo's success with its next handheld is far from a given, in a world where mobile has supplanted dedicated handhelds as the preferred method of gaming on the go for most consumers. Nintendo will still play to the dedicated handheld niche (as there is still a bit of money there), but expectations should be tempered.

Acosta

It was abandonned by Sony the first year. I mean, it had basically 5 minutes presence at E3 2012 SCEA conference iirc.

It was "abandoned" because the sales were abyssal. For the second year (2013), there was very good internal efforts like Little Big Planet or Killzone: Mercenary and they did nothing.

You can't put seeds in a desert expecting to grow flowers, there is no space for a "Vita" anymore. Period. And I say this as someone with two of them who absolutely loves the system, but you have to be realistic. Mobile is everything, and the shrinking space for a dedicated handheld will be for Nintendo, who has the IPs and the teams appropriated for making it work.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
In the last Tokyo Game show, there are actually more psvita games (6x) than 3DS (3x). partly because PS4 and vita ccompatibility.

Honestly I don't think we need a vita 2. I will be happy if sony just keep supporting it for the next 5 to 10 years

Presumably vita games development are still too expensive for some Japanese publishers because of its HD resolution. Very slowly it is being adapted. Capcom is finally releasing its popular Gundam vs gAME next year

The Vita is a lifeline for many 3rd party devs in Japan, I doubt we won't see a successor at least in that market. I think selling a couple million there can sustain the platform. Without Vita we wouldn't have a good chunk of Japanese games on PS4 now.

Neoxon

Smart devices are more than enough to keep Nintendo on their toes.
Fair enough

Pretty much. Nintendo's success with its next handheld is far from a given, in a world where mobile has supplanted dedicated handhelds as the preferred method of gaming on the go for most consumers. Nintendo will still play to the dedicated handheld niche (as there is still a bit of money there), but expectations should be tempered.
If what a good chunk of GAF have been speculating comes true, then the next handheld will likely be part of the NX Platform. In this scenario, the NX Handheld would share its games with the console & (in the most likely scenario) let the console piggy-back off of the handheld (since the console likely won't sell that well). Essentially, the NX Handheld is probably gonna sell more than the NX Console, & combining both of their libraries would enable Nintendo to cut down on software droughts & provide their games a life-raft in case the dedicated gaming handheld market truly goes sour.

JordanN

Banned
I hope Sony never makes the successor.

It's going to take tremendous amount of resources away from the PS5.

The 3 or 5 games for PS Vita II could be PS5 launch titles alone.

Eusis

Probably the only hope is that mobile hardware advancement hits the sort of plateau that allows making something like a powerful dedicated handheld cheap and completely reasonable. And at that point it might be more a Nomad or Turbo Express situation.

Bio

I can't help but wonder how differently the Vita would have done if it had no touch screen or rear touch pad and was just cheaper/lighter/had better battery life because of it.

Klossen

Banned
The Vita is a lifeline for many 3rd party devs in Japan, I doubt we won't see a successor at least in that market. I think selling a couple million there can sustain the platform. Without Vita we wouldn't have a good chunk of Japanese games on PS4 now.

Vita will be relevant in Japan for quite some time more. PSP was well supported by Japanese publishers all the way up to Vita's launch, and then some. With no successor in sight, and with easy porting opportunities to PS4, I think Vita will remain relevant for some more years in Japan. It had a pretty good TGS showing.

My worry would be localization, where PS4 has an immense install base and Vita a niche base. Will PS4-Vita games get localized together or will Vita be lost in the process?

I adore my Vita, it's possibly my favourite games system ever, full stop.

But yeah, Sony would be insane to make a follow up device.

Hell, I'm not expecting Nintendo to manage half the sales for the NX handheld worldwide that they'll end up with for the 3DS. Mobiles have taken the kiddy and casual Market that made handhelds viable, and theyre not giving them back.

I'll just add the Vita had the best launch games ever imo.

Yeah, kind of funny when you compare it to the PS4 launch.

That's what I'm scared of the most, worst case scenario they transition to mobile.

Good. Sony should just focus on home consoles.

lol

I hope Sony never makes the successor.

It's going to take tremendous amount of resources away from the PS5.

The 5 or 10 games for PS Vita II could be PS5 launch titles alone.

The budget are vastly different.

I can't help but wonder how differently the Vita would have done if it had no touch screen or rear touch pad and was just cheaper/lighter/had better battery life because of it.

No touch at this day and age would probably be as detrimental as the current memcard prices. Memcard pricing was the biggest mistake Sony made with the Vita.

Bio

Ah yes, forgot about the memory card thing as well. Throw in Micro/SD Card support into my list :{

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I guess the NX Handheld won't have any competition next year. Though it's sad to see Sony leave the market. While their reason is justified, I do think that Nintendo needs some kind of competition in the dedicated gaming handheld market.

...I don't think so.

GBA was awesome withouth competition. :D

213372bu

Banned
I can't help but think that Sony is going to try portable/mobile gaming in at least some form. It has done them good in Japan, and Sony has been trying to push portable gaming for quite some time, even when it made absolutely no sense for it.

Of course the next non-portable handheld that isn't from Nintendo could be around a decade off.

sörine

Banned
A lifeline of 4 million? Most Japanese publishers have done themselves a disservice by strongly backing Vita and the real result is they've backed themselves into a corner. The system hasn't taken off and offers a niche marketplace at best, there's no future successor on the horizon, and now most supporters are being shepherded into dead end home console support. Vita was a mistake in most cases.

djjinx2

I would love to see a clip on grip with sticks and buttons bundled with the next Xperia phone. Complete with Vita library compatibility (digital) and PS2/PS1 support.

Kouriozan

As expected.
Vita could have been way bigger, if handled properly. Sony just can't support both console and handheld at the same time and just forget its handheld exist, like they did with the PSP.

Slaythe

The 3ds hardware is the most shameful console ever produced by a top tier game firm. Close second being the Wii.

And they had competition. Nintendo literally gives no fuck.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Fair enough

If what a good chunk of GAF have been speculating comes true, then the next handheld will likely be part of the NX Platform. In this scenario, the NX Handheld would share its games with the console & (in the most likely scenario) let the console piggy-back off of the handheld (since the console likely won't sell that well).

In case u didn't notice, Sony already has its NX platfom.
Its the PS4 and vita combo.

BTW. I hope the Nintendo handheld device to be a lot more powerful. The 3DS is just too weak

Huff

Banned
Vita was doa from the start. Didn't matter how much support it got.

Lol at the thought of a new handheld.

It wouldnt be shocking for a new Nintendo handheld to go the path of the vita

JordanN

Banned
The budget are vastly different.
It's not.

That's actually the big reason why Vita failed. The games cost too much that selling them for $40 is just not viable for AAA.

With Vita 2, it's now $60 handheld games vs $60 home console ones. It's an act of cannibalization that benefits no one.

If they had unique, compelling software that you can't experience anywhere else like Nintendo, I think a Vita 2 could be viable. Even Nintendo took a massive hit with the 3ds, but it was relatively successful at ~55 million.

Top Bottom