• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor

Li Kao

I'll just add the Vita had the best launch games ever imo.

Yup, I would echo this sentiment, really great line-up. Then Sony dropped the ball hard on day 2.
I'm not delusional, I will freely admit that handhelds are a though, maybe impossible sell, but I don't really understand the quickness of the transition from "hey, we just released this great piece of kit" to "fuck this shit, we are out".

Sad state of affairs but at least Vita has quite a bit of life left in it. Japan ain't gonna abandon it for years. Now the question is how long is it feasible for smaller publishers to localize the content.

At least the PS4+Vita trend makes stuff easier. I doubt we would have gotten something like Cyber Sleuth otherwise.

Eusis

With Vita 2, it's now $60 handheld games vs $60 home console ones. That's ripe for failure.
Probably another reason the only hope probably ends up more Nomad or Turbo Express: new high end hardware that actually can be shrunk down/be cheap enough to produce a portable version, to be DD only of course now.

Eh, the climate isnt that harsh, if you support the damn thing.

There is no market outside Japan for a dedicated handheld gaming device post iPhone 1 era.

2 to 40 year olds are playing dozens of games on their iPhones, iPads and iPad Minis.

Better deal with it than cling to some fantasy dreams.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It's sad how PS Vita is selling... i'm a Nintendo guy and i'd like see PSVita compete with 3DS in the NPD thread ( my favourite thread ), because i like the competition. :D

Maybe there is some competition in the Media Create thread... but still.
I would have liked see PSVita sell much better than what is selling.

Mobile is competition.

No.

If they had unique, compelling software that you can't experience anywhere else like Nintendo, I think a Vita 2 could be viable. Even Nintendo took a massive hit with the 3ds, but it was relatively successful at ~55 million.

3DS is still selling, it should end at ~70 million.

sörine

Banned
Sad state of affairs but at least Vita has quite a bit of life left in it. Japan ain't gonna abandon it for years. Now the question is how long is it feasible for smaller publishers to localize the content.
Digital helps greatly on this front, if it were retail only Vita already would've died like the Duo or Saturn. I mean we're still seeing DSiWare and PSP localizations now in 2015 even.

SigSig

The Vita may have flopped, may have been a mistake, may be dead as fuck...

...but it's still the absolute best Handheld ever made, Games play like a dream and look amazingly beautiful. It just wasn't meant to be.

Hmm, I think it's a non issue at the moment anyway, so I'm not worried too much by those thoughts. TGS came by and a whole bunch of PS4/Vita games got announced. World Of FF, Builders, 13 sentinels, Setsuna, vita has some games coming. In the mean time, the 3DS' successor has to be on the cards at nintendo and a jump/line up in specs between the two devices might mean more games get developed that are 3ds/vita as the aimed platform from third parties. I think some times the vita was ahead of itself graphically. Instead of a new handheld, sony would be wise to iterate, take out the proprietary memory cards and align the vita alongside nintendo's next handheld oppose to think about an actual new higher specced successor any time soon.

th4tguy

As long as they keep releasing games for it, I'm good. Though, they REALLY need to drop the price on memory cards.

sörine;179998610 said:
A lifeline of 4 million? Most Japanese publishers have done themselves a disservice by strongly backing Vita and the real result is they've backed themselves into a corner. The system hasn't taken off and offers a niche marketplace at best, there's no future successor on the horizon, and now most supporters are being shepherded into dead end home console support. Vita was a mistake in most cases.

All that is true, but I'm not sure what the alternative would have been except jump to the 3DS, which may have improved software sales in Japan and maybe puts those developers in a better position to migrate to NX. I don't know enough to say whether either of those is a given, though, and even if they were that doesn't necessarily make a publisher/developer's situation much better for the future if NX isn't the resurgence Nintendo and everyone else wants it to be.

Huff

Banned
You're probably an idiot if you think that the vita either could have been successful or that there is a place in the market for a successor

thefro

Hmm, I think it's a non issue at the moment anyway, so I'm not worried too much by those thoughts. TGS came by and a whole bunch of PS4/Vita games got announced. World Of FF, Builders, 13 sentinels, Setsuna, vita has some games coming. In the mean time, the 3DS' successor has to be on the cards at nintendo and a jump/line up in specs between the two devices might mean more games get developed that are 3ds/vita as the aimed platform from third parties. I think some times the vita was ahead of itself graphically. Instead of a new handheld, sony would be wise to iterate, take out the proprietary memory cards and align the vita alongside nintendo's next handheld oppose to think about an actual new higher specced successor any time soon.

My thoughts exactly... I think we'll see a fair number of games targeting Vita/NX portable that scale up to PS4/NX console out of Japan going forward.

So it's basically officially confirmed. The dream is dead. Sony's adventure with handhelds that started with the amazing PSP (I got one) ended with the PS Vita.

2004 - 2015.

RIP my dear Playstation Handheld Gaming Division :( You were born in the wrongest time possible (mobiles getting out of the Nokia 3210 ghetto).

Klossen

Banned
The Vita may have flopped, may have been a mistake, may be dead as fuck...

...but it's still the absolute best Handheld ever made, Games play like a dream and look amazingly beautiful. It just wasn't meant to be.

I was sort of surprised how DS4 didn't have that terrific Vita d-pad. The Vita d-pad is pretty much the best d-pad ever made.

4Tran

The dedicated handheld market is going to be barely viable for Nintendo, so it's obviously going to be a bad idea for Sony. The Vita was simply the wrong product at the wrong time, and no amount of support would have changed its fate.

Neoxon

In case u didn't notice, Sony already has its NX platfom.
Its the PS4 and vita combo.

BTW. I hope the Nintendo handheld device to be a lot more powerful. The 3DS is just too weak
But the PS4 & Vita don't share all of its games, use one physical medium, share an architecture, or share an OS.

Completely expected. Still, sad to think that we might be nearing the end of the road for dedicated handhelds.

I game on my phone as much as the next guy, but it's not really the same

Trago

Well of course. Mobile has taken over. And developing a dedicated handheld console that almost exclusively targeted 18-35 year olds was probably one of the biggest factors in the Vita's failure. And even if they targeted kids, that's really hard when you consider how much mobile has done to that demographic.

Also I think people shouting for Sony to ''support'' the thing are weird: they did the first few years and people didn't buy it. Why would the situation change especially since the market indeed becomes harsher all the time?

What game feasibly could they have made that would have done this miraculous feat? Gran Turismo is the closest one but I have a really strong feeling that alone wouldn't cut it.

Vita is my favourite piece of gaming hardware ever and even I can admit people don't want it nowdays no matter how much Sony would have poured money into it. Western third parties have completely abandoned the handheld market even for the winning side.

Nere

Expected but still so sad=( Vita has been my favourite handheld hope Nintendo doesn't dump handhelds too.

JordanN

Banned
Also, even if there's a slither of a chance the Vita 2 could do better, the damage is done now.

Sony has already ported their 1st party Vita games to PS4.

What's the Vita II going to offer again that the PS5 wont have now? Making 2 versions of Gravity Rush or 2 versions of Tearaway is just going to look stupid.

What are you even talking about? They are different, a Vita game doesn't even cost as much to make as a PS3 game.

And where do you get that 60$ handheld games? The prices stayed the same from PSP to Vita, why would they increase now?
The site is banned but from the source, the developer of Killzone: Mercenary said the development costs are the same or close to that of a PS3. Which makes sense. The workflow is similar to HD consoles which obviously requires a bigger budget then PS2 games did.

If the next handheld is PS4 powerful, is it not going to be the same thing again? More people needed to get the bigger graphics bump =more $$$. If the games don't cost $60, how will they ever make it back on what's already a smaller audience?

It's not.

That's actually the big reason why Vita failed. The games cost too much that selling them for $40 is just not viable for AAA.

With Vita 2, it's now $60 handheld games vs $60 home console ones. It's an act of cannibalization that benefits no one.

What are you even talking about? They are different, a Vita game doesn't even cost as much to make as a PS3 game.

And where do you get that 60$ handheld games? The prices stayed the same from PSP to Vita, why would they increase now?

Honestly its for the best. Even if they did make another one i wouldnt buy it, they already pulled a bait and switch with the vita. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Neoxon

Expected but still so sad=( Vita has been my favourite handheld hope Nintendo doesn't dump handhelds too.
I wouldn't worry about that. If anything, handhelds are their biggest money-maker (sans the Amiibos). If anything, the NX Console will be piggy-backing off of the NX Handheld.

It's really sad that there won't be another PS handheld. I'd say at least 5 of my top 10 favorite games in the last gen were on Vita.

P4G (I played it on PS2 as well), Oreshika, Freedom Wars, and Danganronpa 1 and 2.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How can you say that Mobile isn't competition?

594c6bd7a010544790f24a740bc7a51b.jpg

Petrae

How can you say that Mobile isn't competition?

Denial is one hell of a thing, isn't it? Akin to sticking fingers in ears and screaming "I can't hear you!"

Mobile isn't just competition. It's the dominant player in the portable space, whether handheld fans like it or not.

Neoxon

It's really sad that there won't be another PS handheld. I'd say at least 5 of my top 10 favorite games in the last gen were on Vita.

P4G (I played it on PS2 as well), Oreshika, Freedom Wars, and Danganronpa 1 and 2.
Most of those kinds of games are either gonna go to the NX Platform or the PS4 going forward (probably both).

Yet some mobile companies (SuperCell) bring in $100M monthly... (need a quote on that).

Oh they understand the business very well.

I was saying that people that say Mobile isn't competition don't understand business. A basic understanding of Porters 5 forces will show you that Mobile is clearly competition for handheld

Sony should combine the Vita with Xperia somehow. Android OS with mobile games, controller dock to play 'Vita-esque' games, VR dock for Morpheus...

Top Bottom