• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor

Neoxon

Off topic but it is being brought up here a lot: is it confirmed NX will be a handheld? Or a handheld/ stationary hybrid?
There's evidence pointing towards the NX being a multi-system platform, handhelds included. Basically, Nintendo would be focusing all of their dedicated gaming platform efforts into one platform to prevent software droughts as Nintendo entry into the mobile games market takes up more of their time. As for a hybrid, Iwata explicitly said no to the idea before he died.

Well, durr. Nintendo is already feeling the change of climate as well. And it will only get worse for them next gen. No point in Sony investing millions to fight for scraps with Nintendo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, the climate isnt that harsh, if you support the damn thing.

Yes, because Sony putting out a PSP3 wouldn't be a PS3-2: Electric Boogaloo situation, double so after the PSP2.

Sony should stick with home consoles, which is where their mojo is currently (hello PS4).

sörine;179998610 said:
A lifeline of 4 million? Most Japanese publishers have done themselves a disservice by strongly backing Vita and the real result is they've backed themselves into a corner. The system hasn't taken off and offers a niche marketplace at best, there's no future successor on the horizon, and now most supporters are being shepherded into dead end home console support. Vita was a mistake in most cases.

Yeah a lifeline of 4 million. These devs were always low profile, mid tier at best and are satisfied selling 50 to 200k. They are satisfied, considering they keep coming back to Vita and making more games. People wonder where the Japanese mid tier went after PS2, they mostly went to PSP, thanks to its piracy we didn't see much of it in the west. They started resurfacing late last gen when they finally mastered PS3 and now with Vita's easy PS4 ports we're seeing them back again.

entremet

I replie wrong to the guy.

I said "GBA was amazing withouth competition" and he talk about mobile, but in 2001 Mobile was not competition.

write above.

Oh.

I mean today. Mobile is competition today, though. My misunderstanding.

Yeah in a few years it's going to be NX vs Mobile in Japan with mobile winning out.

Mobile already won. The question is could Nintendo still make a profit from their handheld niche, which although not at its peak like the DS, is still there.

Neoxon

Well, durr. Nintendo is already feeling the change of climate as well. And it will only get worse for them next gen. No point in Sony investing millions to fight for scraps with Nintendo.
Except the NX Handheld will be the form factor that will be the most likely to succeed, more so since Nintendo's fading into obscurity as far as their console efforts go. It's like I said earlier in this thread, the NX Console will likely piggy-back off of the NX Handheld. The difference now is that Nintendo has no competition besides mobile gaming, a market that Nintendo is now going into.

Huff

Banned
Nintendo's only chance to succeed in the handheld market in the coming years is with their mobile products

4Tran

The thing was pretty DOA the moment the price of the proprietary memory cards came out.
The memory cards didn't do any favors for the Vita, but what killed it was the smartphone revolution. And we can expect the NX handheld to be hammered in a similar fashion.

Forkball

Vita means life.

But they're right. Handheld gaming is in a very fickle position. The 3DS has been successful for sure, but compare the DS's 150 million to the 3DS's 50 million. Mobile gaming has eaten a huge chunk of the market and completely changed expectations on what gaming on the go should be. The PSP was hugely successful, but it had a much stronger lineup and came out in a time when mobile gaming wasn't a big thing. Nintendo has enough big franchises to keep people interested in their handheld titles, while Sony really does not. Nintendo puts out actual real-ass sequels to their franchises, while Sony just puts out some spinoff that's nowhere near as good as the console counterparts. Not to mention Pokemon is a hardware mover while Sony does not have any portable-exclusive franchise to make people interested.

Neoxon

The memory cards didn't do any favors for the Vita, but what killed it was the smartphone revolution. And we can expect the NX handheld to be hammered in a similar fashion.
Honestly, so long as Nintendo keeps providing their games (mainly Pokémon), the NX Handheld will see some kind of success. If anything, it'll probably be more successful than the NX Console.

sörine

Banned
Also, even if there's a slither of a chance the Vita 2 could do better, the damage is done now.

Sony has already ported their 1st party Vita games to PS4.

What's the Vita II going to offer again that the PS5 wont have now? Making 2 versions of Gravity Rush or 2 versions of Tearaway is just going to look stupid.
The only possible solution I see is if Sony does an NX and makes a PS5/PSP3 with a shared OS/architecture/library. That could present it's own set of issues though (dropping X86, lower power PS5, dropping disc media, etc) and Sony has a lot more to lose in the console space than Nintendo does going this route.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Instead of a Vita successor, they should make an updated Xperia Play.

xperia-play-black-frontview-android-smartphone-940x529.png

Mobile phone gaming with up to date specs and can play Vita, PSP, PS1, and PS2 Classics. It would be awesome!

Vita means life.

But they're right. Handheld gaming is in a very fickle position. The 3DS has been successful for sure, but compare the DS's 150 million to the 3DS's 50 million. Mobile gaming has eaten a huge chunk of the market and completely changed expectations on what gaming on the go should be. The PSP was hugely successful, but it had a much stronger lineup and came out in a time when mobile gaming wasn't a big thing. Nintendo has enough big franchises to keep people interested in their handheld titles, while Sony really does not. Nintendo puts out actual real-ass sequels to their franchises, while Sony just puts out some spinoff that's nowhere near as good as the console counterparts. Not to mention Pokemon is a hardware mover while Sony does not have any portable-exclusive franchise to make people interested.

The "Monster Hunter 10 exclusive on Vita 2!" dream is sooooooo dead.

Except the NX Handheld will be the form factor that will be the most likely to succeed, more so since Nintendo's fading into obscurity as far as their console efforts go. It's like I said earlier in this thread, the NX Console will likely piggy-back off of the NX Handheld. The difference now is that Nintendo has no competition besides mobile gaming, a market that Nintendo is now going into.

Eh, I think you're being a tad naive here. Nintendo haD practicaly no competition this cycle and yet 3DS continues to feel the effects of a shrinking market. NX isn't going to magically plug the hole and stop further contraction.

I'm not saying NX will bomb. I'm saying that its not going to stop the downward trajectory of the dedicated handheld market. And Nintendo will feel it more so than they have with the 3DS.

Teletraan1

Banned
Maybe some kind of gaming smartphone then? Xperia Play 2? Xperia PlayStation? PlayStation Phone?

The market moved to cool phones with apple logos on it. Or android phones with no gaming features. They are bleeding money on phones as it is. Making another device that not enough people want is not in their best interest. They would be best to exit the phone and handheld market completely at this point and focus on what is working.

Of course but I saw a lot of people get turned off from it because of the memory card (and no accessible internal memory as well) bullshit.

Neoxon

Eh, I think you're being a tad naive here. Nintendo haD practicaly no competition this cycle and yet 3DS continues to feel the effects of a shrinking market. NX isn't going to magically plug the hole and stop further contraction.

I'm not saying NX will bomb. I'm saying that its not going to stop the downward trajectory of the dedicated handheld market. And Nintendo will feel it more so than they have with the 3DS.
But it'll at least slow it down a bit, especially in Japan. Plus it's not like the NX Console is gonna sell any better.

Honestly the only reason I still have my vita is PS+. But I don't play my vita at all because I only have a 32gb card, which is full, so I don't download (or buy) any new games for it.

The mobile environment completely destroyed the vita for sure, but even for enthusiasts the proprietary and super expensive memory card system has done the vita zero favors. Even though its technically superior to my 3DS, I will always choose my 3DS when I travel because it feels like it would take too much effort to curate my vita's card to throw out old stuff and download "good" stuff, so I just always default to my 3DS. Also its so goddamn easy to lose vita carts, and swapping them around on the vita is a super pain in the ass on the OG model.

Draft

Sony should turn their considerable game development talent towards making games for iOS and Android instead of sending software to die on doomed niche hardware.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sony should turn their considerable game development talent towards making games for iOS and Android instead of sending software to die on doomed niche hardware.

Because trying to make shit in a flooded market is an even better idea right?

Eolz

I am truly shocked by this statement. /s

Not sure if some in this thread are serious about thinking making a second one Japan-only, or worse, a new Xperia play, would be good ideas.

Memento

The market moved to cool phones with apple logos on it. Or android phones with no gaming features. They are bleeding money on phones as it is. Making another device that not enough people want is not in their best interest. They would be best to exit the phone and handheld market completely at this point and focus on what is working.

But the Xperia Z line is amazing. Probably the best smartphones out there. They really shouldnt exit.

Well if he hopes the "portable gaming culture" stays alive, then they really need to release a sucessor. I mean, who else will do it? Nintendo would monopolize the market, and even then they could end up failing on their next attempt and leaving no one to make handhelds. Sony and Nintendo would need to stay in business, not only as competitors, but also as allies to make for a bigger install base introducing people to portables.

sörine

Banned
Yeah a lifeline of 4 million. These devs were always low profile, mid tier at best and are satisfied selling 50 to 200k. They are satisfied, considering they keep coming back to Vita and making more games. People wonder where the Japanese mid tier went after PS2, they mostly went to PSP, thanks to its piracy we didn't see much of it in the west. They started resurfacing late last gen when they finally mastered PS3 and now with Vita's easy PS4 ports we're seeing them back again.
Well I hope they're satisfied selling 10-50k on PS4 then. Because that's looking like their future once Vita fades out completely.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hope they will shift the focus towards PS VR here.

I am excited for the VR future from Sony

Trago

Instead of a Vita successor, they should make an updated Xperia Play.

xperia-play-black-frontview-android-smartphone-940x529.png

Mobile phone gaming with up to date specs and can play Vita, PSP, PS1, and PS2 Classics. It would be awesome!

Not even that, just release their legacy software on mobile and make them compatible with Bluetooth controllers.

FranXico

They're worried about mobile gaming preventing any chance of handheld consoles to persist, so they decided to wait for Nintendo to go ahead first.

Disappointing but not surprising. I love me some vita but Sony didn't put in much work. I hope NX fills the void well in a few years. 3DS has lots of great games but Vita whoops it design wise so I'm hoping for the best of both.

KAL2006

Banned
I'd be happy with a Vita phone. With slide out buttons and nubs. Just have a Android OS that supports your PSN user with access to Vita, PSX and PSP games.

Aceofspades

Banned
I am truly shocked by this statement. /s

Not sure if some in this thread are serious about thinking making a second one Japan-only, or worse, a new Xperia play, would be good ideas.

I always see posts that doesn't make any damn business sense, few of them are in this thread.

Top Bottom