• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

TDLink

I don't care about the industry.. I was happiest when the gaming industry was a small niche driven by enthusiasts with games that were based on rich gameplay and innovation rather than production values and presentation, and big name, big budget, mass marketed franchises with online multiplayer to make up for a crap single player experience as they are now. AAA Hollywood gaming will eventually kill itself as costs rise and stagnation, saturation, and franchise domination destroy it leaving a purer gaming behind. The industry is already on a major decline course (speaking to the console and traditional portable industry), next gen is going to be fun.

Gaming will never be a small niche driven by enthusiasts, ever. Well, maybe in your head in some fantasy but I'm talking in reality. I actually do happen to agree that AAA big budget "Hollywood" gaming is an unsustainable model that will significantly diminish in size at some point in the future. I do not, however, think that happening is going to magically make the industry all of a sudden niche and enthusiast driven. The industry being niche and enthusiast would be terrible as well anyways.

oh, and what's laughable about "true gamer"? That's some one who is actually into gameplay and the gaming experience, rather than some nerd living vicariously through the game industry and what XYZ game marketer shoots out at the masses.

I actually do like gameplay and innovation over COD -again- every year. However, those games have an important place in the ecosystem that is gaming. Just because I don't care about them or want to play them doesn't mean I want them to disappear. Games are not, and should not be, made for a specific person or group of people. There are different types for different groups, hence genres. Diversity is a good thing.

Game Guru

That only applies to console makers with two previous successes then they release a new system. The 360 is MS's first success in the market.

No, it doesn't. Sega fell to the so-called 'third console curse' with the Saturn and the Master System was only a success in Europe and South America.

No, the Sega CD and 32X do not count towards the console number.

I don't care about the industry.. I was happiest when the gaming industry was a small niche driven by enthusiasts with games that were based on rich gameplay and innovation rather than production values and presentation, and big name, big budget, mass marketed franchises with online multiplayer to make up for a crap single player experience as they are now. AAA Hollywood gaming will eventually kill itself as costs rise and stagnation, saturation, and franchise domination destroy it leaving a purer gaming behind. The industry is already on a major decline course (speaking to the console and traditional portable industry), next gen is going to be fun.

oh, and what's laughable about "true gamer"? That's some one who is actually into gameplay and the gaming experience, rather than some nerd living vicariously through the game industry and what XYZ game marketer shoots out at the masses.

What is this trash you made everybody read?

A true gamer is the dumbest term I've heard someone call themselves.

It's not cute. The PS3 was a disaster by every possible metric there is.
That they've turned the ship around from a complete clusterf is commendable on Sony's part and speaks to the high quality software that exists on the platform. But call a spade a spade.

"Disaster" isn't turning around their gaming division and becoming essentially Sony's only lucrative area at this point. It's about the last thing they'd shed if they had to start cutting entire divisions.

"Disaster" is something like the Dreamcast that puts an entire company out of the console business. We've seen flops far, far harder than the PS3, my friend. That thing is no disaster, even if it had some very troublesome first few years.

No, they wouldn't have to mention a change. Exact same situation with Nintendo and the 3DS last year. Sales numbers told us that they had no shot at hitting their 16 million number and yet they still didn't revise the forecast until after the 3Q. Even had people like yourself talking about how they were selling to expectation because they would have revised the forecast if they weren't going to hit it. The appeal to authority argument is bunk, especially when that authority has no reason to tell you the truth.

Again, I'm saying that number is overly optimistic in my opinion, but I'm not going to all armchair-analyst and just assume they're lying through their teeth to investors for no other reason than the desire to paint the Vita as a failure. Nintendo paid dearly for not changing that forecast, mainly in a public move that resulted in Iwata taking a pay cut and having a massive price cut in an attempt to actually reach said forecast. Until I see a change in course like that I'm not going to say the sky is falling.

clockpunk

What is this trash you made everybody read?

A true gamer is the dumbest term I've heard someone call themselves.

What hostile nonsense you spout - hobbyists, such as we, are free to label themselves however they wish. Some people feel such an involvement forms a core part of their identity, so let it be. Who are you to dismiss any such identification as 'dumb'? Seriously do you have any psycho- or socio- credentials that allow you free reign to lambast others for their reception of an entertainment medium?

Moreover, anyone that cares even an iota about the gaming industry can't possibly seriously want any of the hardware manufacturers to actually fail.

I care about the gaming industry and I want Sony to fail. Not because I want gaming to become more niche but because their arrogance with the PS3 and Vita is sickening. Things like the Vita memory card shows that they have learnt nothing about their past failures and are committed to failing yet again. All bad companies should die and give way to good companies, I fail to see why Microsoft wouldn't be ready to take over from Sony.

Microsoft is clearly different from Sony when they are selling their Xbox accessoires like the Xbox hdd, the charger for the controller, the wireless network adapter for premium prices.

Averon

MS is all about taking over the living room. Everything I'm hearing about the XB3 tells me it'll be a Windows 8 set-top box that happens to play games. It's true MS and Sony seemed to have been similar in their approach at gaming at the start of this gen, but since Kinect, their tactics and focuses have started to diverge.

C4Lukins

Gemüsepizza;39318201 said:
Microsoft is clearly different from Sony when they are selling their Xbox accessories like the Xbox hdd, the charger for the controller, the wireless network adapter for premium prices.

Different from PS3 era maybe, but you have a short memory if you do not remember the exact same strategy with the PS2. Memory cards, multi tap, a vertical stand, a hard drive, Eye Toy, and so on. I think it had some sort of Ethernet attachment at one point as well

I meant that it's strange scytheavatar is complaining about high memory card prices for the PS Vita and is claiming that Microsoft is the superior company, when both companies are doing the same.

C4Lukins

Gemüsepizza;39318477 said:
I meant that it's strange scytheavatar is complaining about high memory card prices for the PS Vita and is claiming that Microsoft is the superior company, when both companies are doing the same.

I can agree with that.

I think you are purposely being dense here or just trolling.

No, I can see where hes coming from. I agree as well. It makes sense based on what they've been saying before and after it launched. Sony expected a real slow start for Vita. I remember interviews before it launched, I dont remember the exact words, but the tone of it was they were not expecting very much for the launch or even first half of the year, and "we really wont be able to paint a clear picture until at least 2 years have passed" ect ect.

They also explained in the beginning there target consumer was solely PS3 owners. That right there tells you there not expecting much because there targeting a very specific audience, an audience where the majority will wait until there is at least 4-5 AAA titles and a large library of games before it buys. I think most of the "hardcore" PS3 owners at sometime plan on buying a Vita but are waiting, and Sony knows this.

IMO Sony has some sort of 2-3 year plan with the Vita that is not too clear yet. Maybe it will become more clear once PS4 comes out?

One thing that seems impossible though, is if for them to end up with 10million in FY12... MH announcement at TGS? Only thing that might make it possible...

J-Rzez

As a true gamer I'm excited by the prospects of console industry decline and consolidation in terms of creating an industry with a smaller, more dedicated, niche core in contrast to the mainstream dudebro gamer and AAA Hollywood gaming dominance that exists now, which Sony is guilty of co-sponsoring.

Err the problem here is that Sony is the one that offers the most diverse library of games. From big budget to PS store titles. They have the most diverse and talented stable of first party devs and have fostered many smaller devs. So what you're saying is just completely off. Ninty doesn't come close to offering that, and MS offerings are not nearly in the same size and scope.

So something doesn't add up. Even their hardware is probably the most diverse console out there in varying gaming experiences while adding enough of a media hub experience as well.

It can give that niche experience of select samples as it has many quality facets. So while being diverse it has a great selection in smaller specific gaming segments

Gemüsepizza;39318201 said:
Microsoft is clearly different from Sony when they are selling their Xbox accessoires like the Xbox hdd, the charger for the controller, the wireless network adapter for premium prices.

You have seen the Vita memory card situation and the fact that games can't even boot without one right? PS1 and PS2 were the same way. You used to be able to use any USB modem with the PS2 for online games at first then they released the Network adapter and forced developers to only support it and not allow anything else.

Sony has a long history of this and so does every other company. The PS3 was the exception to the norm and looking at the Vita memory card situation you can bet this trend continues with the PS4. When the 360 launched it was just folowing the standard set by Sony, Sega, and Nintendo before them.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I care about the gaming industry and I want Sony to fail. Not because I want gaming to become more niche but because their arrogance with the PS3 and Vita is sickening. Things like the Vita memory card shows that they have learnt nothing about their past failures and are committed to failing yet again. All bad companies should die and give way to good companies, I fail to see why Microsoft wouldn't be ready to take over from Sony.
Ah, Microsoft. The shining beacon of a game company that charges you to play online and runs their store on fake currency that practically guarantees you'll pay more than a game costs just to have enough credit to buy it.

Wazzim

Banned
Oh but guys it's just currency problems holding down Japanese companies!

Japanese companies (outside of Nintendo and the likes) as a whole are such a disaster right now with their noncompetitive products.

What hostile nonsense you spout - hobbyists, such as we, are free to label themselves however they wish. Some people feel such an involvement forms a core part of their identity, so let it be. Who are you to dismiss any such identification as 'dumb'? Seriously do you have any psycho- or socio- credentials that allow you free reign to lambast others for their reception of an entertainment medium?

The fact that he considers himself a "true gamer" simply because of the one aspect of gaming he likes, while at the same time calling for the downfall of the current industry that many different people enjoy, for whatever their own reasons are, is fucking ridiculous. What does that make the millions of other gamers who may subscribe to a different reason of why they like and follow the games industry, while spending their hard-earned money on games?

Its bullshit.

What makes your group of super pure elite enthusiast "true-gamers" any more deserving than "some nerd living vicariously through the gaming industry". People like you are what gaming doesn't need....

coldfoot

Banned
Has an issue with PS Vita memory cards...
Supports another company with ridiculously overpriced proprietary storage among other things such as blocking 99% of the internet from their console unless you pay them a monthly fee.

My dream would be Apple taking over Sony's console business. It's like wishing for a billionaire to buy your favorite but financially troubled team/sports club.

My dream would be Apple taking over Sony's console business. It's like wishing for a billionaire to buy your favorite but financially troubled team/sports club.

Really? Talk about overpriced proprietary nonsense.

My dream is for Sony to make it through this and emerge a stronger, leaner and more nimble company.

-Amon-

Supports another company with ridiculously overpriced proprietary storage among other things such as blocking 99% of the internet from their console unless you pay them a monthly fee.

Wait first you rightfully pinpoint MS business practice, and after one minute hope than APPLE buys Sony ?

What makes your group of super pure elite enthusiast "true-gamers" any more deserving than "some nerd living vicariously through the gaming industry". People like you are what gaming doesn't need....

Wouldn't go that hard on the user!
But yeah - true gamers just sounds like a way of grouping off the games industry. If someones plays a game their playing a game - no matter the content.

Its like people who call themselves hardcore gamers, its all usually based on lazy assumptions and bigging ones self up.

hehe. Thats actually quite true. MS don't get enough shit for Live atm, especially in this day and age. [I think they should drop it for 720, so people buy knowing they get out of paying to play even their current 360 games online]

Wait first you rightfully pinpoint MS business practice, and after one minute hope than APPLE buys Sony ?

Theres some parts of posts you should chose to ignore. Insanity awaits.

jrDev

I certainly haven't seen a "fuck, what do we do with the Vita" vibe. I would agree with you if their actions and statements conflicted, or provided a murky picture between one another. A hefty price drop and a "WE'RE DOING JUST FINE" statement, for instance, would certainly give plenty of support to the "what do we do?!?" theory.

Agree to disagree, as it seems, more than anything, to be a glass-half-full, glass-half-empty
There is no agree to disagree here. You are WRONG sir, Sony has already provided expectations for the Vita and with the current monthly sales, it will take a miracle without a price drop to reach that. With the situation right now, I will be extremely surprised if the thing sells more than 500K during Black Friday month (November) without some HUGE changes.

There is no agree to disagree here. You are WRONG sir, Sony has already provided expectations for the Vita and with the current monthly sales, it will take a miracle without a price drop to reach that. With the situation right now, I will be extremely surprised if the thing sells more than 500K during Black Friday month (November) without some HUGE changes.

It would take a miracle with a price drop to reach that, barring any massive unannounced titles releasing this fiscal year.

Edit: On further reflection, I think 10 million is literally impossible. I don't think even exclusive MH, FF, and GTA titles this FY would move enough hardware to make up for extremely weak sales in the first half of the FY.

coldfoot

Banned

Well, only Apple could make a $599 console sell well :) Think about it from that perspective...
I also want to earn trophies from iOS games

LOL, and this is supposed to be one of their more "profitable" sectors too. What a mess.

I think the go-to counter argument is "it is profitable it's just Thai floods/PS4 R&D etc."

Don't know if that's a valid argument when presenting something as profitable or not in a financial statement given those things are not anomalies and expected (R&D costs and setbacks due to manufacturing problems) or if some claims are even true (PS4 R&D).

Yoshiya

Sony has more important uses for its first party studios at the moment - the success or failure of PS4 means far more for the company as whole than Vita ever could. The fight for the living room is Sony's best opportunity to salvage the TV business and the company by pushing for deep ecosystem integration - in this context, Vita is far less important than the phone division too.

MS is all about taking over the living room. Everything I'm hearing about the XB3 tells me it'll be a Windows 8 set-top box that happens to play games. It's true MS and Sony seemed to have been similar in their approach at gaming at the start of this gen, but since Kinect, their tactics and focuses have started to diverge.

Sony's had a hardon for dominating the living room for over a decade now. Poor execution and their inability for corporate cohesion and agility means they have repeatedly dropped the ball.

Gaming will never be a small niche driven by enthusiasts, ever. Well, maybe in your head in some fantasy but I'm talking in reality. I actually do happen to agree that AAA big budget "Hollywood" gaming is an unsustainable model that will significantly diminish in size at some point in the future. I do not, however, think that happening is going to magically make the industry all of a sudden niche and enthusiast driven. The industry being niche and enthusiast would be terrible as well anyways.

"In reality" I have the marketing degree and other business credentials and achievements that you don't... go study something call the "industry life cycle" and see how the video game industry is following it.

The bell curve skate boarding followed in its mainstream rise and decline is an example of what I'm talking about.

Niche, enthusiast based subcultural hobby to every kid skate boarding and now with a much lesser degree of mainstream participation and interest in skate boarding..

I actually do like gameplay and innovation over COD -again- every year. However, those games have an important place in the ecosystem that is gaming. Just because I don't care about them or want to play them doesn't mean I want them to disappear. Games are not, and should not be, made for a specific person or group of people. There are different types for different groups, hence genres. Diversity is a good thing.

What hardcore games is COD funding? What dime of Activision's money has gone to investing in innovation and creativity? The opposite... how many hardcore efforts have gone largely overlooked or even discourage from being developed because COD dudebro owns the mindshare and hype that marginalizes genuine hardcore titles to some tiny underhyped and unprofitable niche.

Vinci

Danish
Lol no. There are many people here hoping to see them go under. Some full on, many thinly veiled. The odd thing is this is a gaming site. If MS goes the track they've been following, and that the Xbox is just a decoy to get established as a living room hub rather than a game console, and with ninty's abandonment of "core" gamers, Sony is the only one who has the majority of their focus on gaming and core gamers. But Sony put down Sega, came in and dominated ninty, and originally trounced MS first effort. So its like the "I liked them before they became popular band" stuff.

Anyone who hopes for Sony to disappear are not gamers and don't realize the negative impact, and possible death of console gaming it would have.

Holy shit. And I thought Nintendo fans alone were paranoid.

I think the go-to counter argument is "it is profitable it's just Thai floods/PS4 R&D etc."

Don't know if that's a valid argument when presenting something as profitable or not in a financial statement given those things are not anomalies and expected (R&D costs and setbacks due to manufacturing problems) or if some claims are even true (PS4 R&D).

Its obvious this is an anomaly. I don't feel like going back but someone has posted the past quarterly reports where the gaming business is profitable. PS4 is the easiest bet to make considering the amount and timing of these costs..

The fact that he considers himself a "true gamer" simply because of the one aspect of gaming he likes, while at the same time calling for the downfall of the current industry that many different people enjoy, for whatever their own reasons are, is fucking ridiculous. What does that make the millions of other gamers who may subscribe to a different reason of why they like and follow the games industry, while spending their hard-earned money on games?

Its bullshit.

I'm not an "elitist"...I'm a dedicated enthusiast. Some one whose gaming enjoyment stems from a connection to a purer conception of the medium, one that is gameplay based.

You're the guy who saves up his money and buys an entry level Harley that he rides on the weekends. I'm an actual biker, the real deal. It's cultural, a way of life for me, I couldn't be anything else if I chose. You on the other hand, are in a passing phase with gaming, one that is a non-productive waste of your life serving as a marketing statistic attached to an analog stick generating corporate gaming revenues along with millions like you.

"Millions of gamers" don't justify anything to me, the opposite, they are what invalidates the hobby and perverts it into the modern corporate entity. "Millions of gamers" non only dumb down the medium for the dedicated enthusiast but create a cost to society. Yeah, I actually said that, go read what Obama says about gaming if you think that is just me.

They are responsible for gaming being the homogenized commodity that it is now, nothing more than an opiate for the masses, and a social phenomenon that will ultimately prove to be generational as some larger social trend will eventually kick in and take to a large extent mainstream interest in console gaming elsewhere, which is exactly what is happening now.

My agenda is not to put down anyone one but to empower change to a return to a higher, more dedicated conception of the medium.

clockpunk

The exact same dismissive statement could be said of fad-based people (not true hobbyists) like you, who would rather see bigger budgets replace innovation forced through smaller budgets. Even more so, it may be argued... We were e ones who supported it in its infancy, we were the ones who provided the industry the means to grow to where it is, without "true" hobbyists, your sort of gaming wouldn't be around.

People like you are the reason Acti closed the Radical just yesterday. *shakes head*

Vinci

Danish
I'm not an "elitist"...I'm a dedicated enthusiast. Some one whose gaming enjoyment stems from a connection to a purer conception of the medium, one that is gameplay based.

You're the guy who saves up his money and buys an entry level Harley that he rides on the weekends. I'm an actual biker, the real deal. It's cultural, a way of life for me, I couldn't be anything else if I chose. You on the other hand, are in a passing phase with gaming, one that is a non-productive waste of your life serving as a marketing statistic attached to an analog stick generating corporate gaming revenues along with millions like you.

"Millions of gamers" don't justify anything to me, the opposite, they are what invalidates the hobby and perverts it into the modern corporate entity. "Millions of gamers" non only dumb down the medium for the dedicated enthusiast but create a cost to society. Yeah, I actually said that, go read what Obama says about gaming if you think that is just me.

They are responsible for gaming being the homogenized commodity that it is now, nothing more than an opiate for the masses, and a social phenomenon that will ultimately prove to be generational as some larger social trend will eventually kick in and take to a large extent mainstream interest in console gaming elsewhere, which is exactly what is happening now.

My agenda is not to put down anyone one but to empower change to a return to a higher, more dedicated conception of the medium.

You start with "I'm not an 'elitist,'" and then spend the remaining four paragraphs doing everything in your power to proclaim, with neon signs and a telethon, that you are an elitist. TV, film, books, music - none of these prior media were meant to remain centered around a subset of the global community. Why the hell would gaming be? It's another medium, nothing more. It's an important one with tons of potential for growth into many currently non-gaming related fields and industries, but it's still a medium.

The only areas in which gaming is being turned into a commodity are along the extremes - the mobile games and AAA titles. Everything else in between is littered with diversity and smart design that speaks back to gaming's past while simultaneously evolving it further.

Pay attention to that stuff if the commodity mentality doesn't appeal to you. It's not going anywhere.

Sipowicz

Banned
sony is pretty much fucked. that much is certain and the next playstation has as much chance of making a significant impact as their next ipod wannabe

but they are going out with a bang. the PS3 has fantastic first party exclusives that almost on par with the wii when it comes to quality/variety and they've been iunmatched when it comes to experimentaation and new ips this gen

Sony's had a hardon for dominating the living room for over a decade now. Poor execution and their inability for corporate cohesion and agility means they have repeatedly dropped the ball.

It's tragicomic how quickly people forget. Remember the opening video of their 2005 E3 conference? It outlines the plan nicely.

Sony were the first and the most aggressive in pushing for more than just gaming on consoles. Their intentions are still exactly the same, but others have taken the lead in actually delivering on those promises.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sipowicz said:
sony is pretty much fucked. that much is certain and the next playstation has as much chance of making a significant impact as their next ipod wannabe

They've sold ~3m fewer consoles than MS have despite a >12month lead at market in global territories. That doesn't look that unhealthy a business to me!

Sony have made a lot of expensive mistakes, have had to deal with extremely adverse market conditions directly related to the state of the yen, had -to be fair- to deal with a degree of bad luck (Thai floods, Catastrophe in Japan), an enthusiast press that's been unforgiving and downright hostile at times, and most of all, massively improved competitive performances from both MS and Nintendo and they are still that close.

This gen they've weathered pretty much everything going wrong, so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

UGHH you are still posting this garbage about pureness? Did you really post that bullshit analogy? From the immature ass PMs you send out to this trash that you keep preaching about pure gaming or whatever, its more and more obvious that you have know real clue about the world the rest of us live in and painfully ignorant to what gaming was about in its "purest" form. SMFH

clockpunk said:
The exact same dismissive statement could be said of fad-based people (not true hobbyists) like you, who would rather see bigger budgets replace innovation forced through smaller budgets. Even more so, it may be argued... We were e ones who supported it in its infancy, we were the ones who provided the industry the means to grow to where it is, without "true" hobbyists, your sort of gaming wouldn't be around.

People like you are the reason Acti closed the Radical just yesterday
. *shakes head*

LMAO. OK ok ok ok. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU and WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT?

Seriously though where are these dudes coming from?

Taurus

They've sold ~3m fewer consoles than MS have despite a >12month lead at market in global territories. That doesn't look that unhealthy a business to me!
Sony went from 150 million to 70 million. MS went from 25 million to over 70 million. I don't think it's that hard to see who gained and who lost this generation.

Also, Sony gets about 8 million sold units from Japan compared to MS' what, 0,3 milllion?

clockpunk

LMAO. OK ok ok ok. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU and WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT?

Seriously though where are these dudes coming from?

I'm a gamer who evidently cares far more about his hobby than you. And one who can't stand uppity casual kiddies dismissing others opinions outright and insulting them? The arrogance in assuming your tastes should be supported by everyone - it's laughable. I can see from your profound eloquence why you were awarded that tag. :p stay classy, dudebro.

To return to the topic at hand, your ravings having derailed it enough, release Dungeon Keeper as a move compatible title, and I'll purchase a PS3 that very moment! Alas, none of their planned releases are strong enough to convince me it offers much over the 360.

EulaCapra

Oh wow, people are posting 2-3 paragraphs to show how concerned they are about SCE and are offering suggestions on how to fix...... Oh wait, just some talk that's gone off the rails.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Taurus said:
Sony went from 150 million to 70 million.

Sigh... here we go again. PS2 was at ~100m when 360 launched, with I believe a smaller NA install base than what 360 enjoys now.

Sony went from 150 million to 70 million. MS went from 25 million to over 70 million. I don't think it's that hard to see who gained and who lost this generation.

Also, Sony gets about 8 million sold units from Japan compared to MS' what, 0,3 milllion?

That's not the important part, the important part is they went from making a lot of money to losing a shitload more. How anyone can call that a healthy business is beyond me.

Sipowicz

Banned

holy fucking shit. they went from first to last and lost over 4 billion dollars and you're seeing a rosy picture?

it is all downhill for sony (and arguably consoles) from here. the playstation brand holds none of the cache it once did, hence the failure of the psp/vita/ps3

their games are still good (on ps3) but reality is reality. it is a shame, but sony is done for

Top Bottom