• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

protonion

So without knowing what I was doing, I googled intellectual property ownership check.

I clicked the first result and upon writing cr in the search box:

SzdhK47.jpg

Not an original idea it seems!

Syntsui

This means nothing, they can have the rights and still develop a new game. The fact that they didn't yet just shows how out of touch they are.

Joni

Not really, Spider-man as a movie franchise is something of a dud. And given that you have Fox with the other big marvel franchise (X-men), Warner Brother finally attempt to pull a "Avengers" with the DCU... Sony doesn't have much of a leg to stand on in keeping Spider-man. So when Marvel/Disney walked into there offices with enough bags of cash to fill a dump-truck? What did you think that Sony would do?

Say no, pretend they can do better and only cave when Kaz angrily intervenes.

Solrac

nah all of this is scripted as fck, like when... " Shu doesn’t Know why Shawn wore the Crash Bandicoot t-Shirt "

Yeah it stinks that Crash is still with Activision. Still, would love to see a game developed by Platinum Games. I mean, why not?

Surely they would just say "there is no Crash Bandicoot"

Like either of them, by now.

Anything in games that isn't a flat "no" is "yes". (Unless you're Jaffe)

Along similar lines, Sony not owning Crash doesn't mean it isn't their game.

Activision OWNING it doesn't mean it IS theirs.

Licensing is a thing.

Ducktail

Someone on stage at E3 needs to wear a Crash t shirt and then never mention the franchise.

I believe that has been done.

If they do not revive this franchise, these guys are the greatest trolls ever. Look how many Crash threads we've had recently: all the begging,fantasies, nostalgia...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft aquired gears ip announced it in jan. It didn't change over in database till end of feb

So people searching for registered rights right now if sony does own it is pointless

The Lamp

But what is Crash 2016/17 anyway? Crash 1-3 on Unreal 4 or something significantly expanded and different, 'matured', a la Jak and Daxter - risking backlash?

I'm not sure we actually need new Crash.

This is kinda what I said in the other thread but people gave me flak because R&C did well, as if they're the same thing.

wachie

Yes and we still expect you to 'surprise' us Sony. This has got to be one of the most poorly planned surprises ever.

JordanN

Banned
"Activision owns the rights to Crash Bandicoot."

"....until we told them to fuck off and hand him over to us."

nillah

Banned
taz the tasmanian devil Game?

ty the tasmanian tiger Game?

A new Crash game by Activision for all three consoles?

Kjell

BHT5im6.png

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot... for PS4?
Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot... for PS4 and Vita?
Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot... for E3?
Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot... for 2017?

GG OP

benedictm

Banned
Well Uncharted 4 is out, Naughty Dog have nothing to do^ and, well, they made Crash Bandicoot soooooo Activison should hire them to make Crash Bandicoot 4: The Crash of Us. Starring Nolan North as Crash, obvs.

*im sure they are very busy! don;t jump on me!

People are surprised the series, Sony never had rights to in the first place, are owned by Activision after Universal stopped caring?

People are surprised the series, Sony never had rights to in the first place, are owned by Activision after Universal stopped caring?

Here's the general history from my understanding:

1. Universal Interactive were the original owners, they licensed Crash and Spyro to Sony to publish the games on PS1.

2. After the PS1, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sony decided to stop working on both IPs. All publishing rights went back to Universal (who again always owned both IPs).

3. Vivendi around this time bought Universal Interactive, renamed them Vivendi Universal Interactive.

4. Unrelated to 3, both IPs go multiplat.

5. In 2006, Vivendi Universal is renamed Vivendi Games, they appoint their Sierra division to now publish both IPs and others.

6. In 2008, Vivendi Games merged with Activision forming Activision Blizzard (Vivendi Games owned Blizzard). Both IPs then get transferred to Activision Blizzard/Activision's name.

And that's basically still effective today.

And that's basically still effective today.

That's the gist, yeah. Activision bought itself (And all of the Games-related properties) our of Vivendi in 2013, though. They're not merged anymore, but they took Blizzard, Sierra, Crash, Spyro, etc. The whole catalogue. So technically, 2013 is the only time Crash actually changed owners.

That's the gist, yeah. Activision bought itself (And all of the Games-related properties) our of Vivendi in 2013, though. They're not merged anymore, but they took Blizzard, Sierra, Crash, Spyro, etc. The whole catalogue. So technically, 2013 is the only time Crash actually changed owners.

Ah right, forgot that bit. :p

RK128

Sure Activision owns it Sony, and I'm a talking blue hedgehog!

To be serious, I could see a partnership ala Sony & Marvel deal working for Crash with Activision owning the IP and Sony having full creative control and exclusive rights to make PlayStation-only games with the series using internal Sony studios.

If recent events indicate anything, I wouldn't be that shocked if Sony bought the IP back but if they didn't a Crash game can STILL happen from Sony. Activision and Sony are buddy-buddy now thanks to deals for Destiny and Call of Duty; wouldn't be shocked if they came to an agreement, IP trade or something to get a Crash game rolling again.

213372bu

Banned
I seriously don't understand this outside of bandwagoning.

Don't get me wrong, as a kid crash bandicoot made me want a Ps1. Crash 1,2,3 were fantastic games and CTR was better than Mario Kart.

Why people want a new crash game is madness to me. All the games after the ND run were absolute garbage. The only thing that even makes remote sense is to remaster 1-3.

A modern day crash game, what would that even be outside of a disappointment? No one is checking for platformers anymore. It's pure nostalgia behind this recent crash obsession on GAF. Feed the nostalgia with the remasters and then throw crash back into IP abyss where he belongs.

Right?

90% of Crash games I played all ranged from mediocre and boring to bad and janky.

I remember liking Crash 3 and playing it at my cousin's house, but the other games/spinoffs I played were nothing to write home about.

Megatron

Why would Activison sell it? If Sony wanted to make a new Crash game, they'd need to license the rights.

Well they havent made a crash game in 15 years. If they sold him they would at least get something for the property.

LakeEarth

Whoever has the rights needs to at least test the waters with a new Crash game. 90s nostalgia is in, this is the time to do it.

Why would Activision sell the rights to Crash if they know Sony would make more money than the sale value? While they aren't doing anything with the IP itself, a Sony-made Crash game would likely sell more than what Activision sell the dead IP to Sony for.

Licensing is a thing, just like the Spider-Man rumor, but are Sony willing enough to dedicate their own internal studios and resources to work on IPs they do not own? I'd love to see it happen, and by extension see them acquire the Bond licensing as well, but I don't see Sony going through with it.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom