• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Averon

right now this appears to be the lower of the two options price point.

From more recent information it seems that there have been two options from the start of this thing and one of them is considerably more powerful but would also have a price point above what they feel is acceptable.

Sounds like the higher option is north of $500, which is a non-starter. No matter how much goodwill and market share Sony built, they cannot sell a >$500 Neo without strong push back.

They learned that lesson the hard way with $599 PS3.

Not making it personal at all. In most cases, the fact remains, when a person wants something to fail, because they do not like said thing that others may find enjoyment, that is either narcissistic or insecure.
it feels a little personal dude. you said I don't want people to enjoy Ps4K, and I never said that, and now you're implying that I want Ps4K to fail, and I didn't say that either.
Just ignore said thing like it does not exist, and you need not worry.
I'd come across as delusional if I acted like Ps4K did not exist.

You seem to lack self control of looking away from it, due to the mental desire of having the best thing out in said ecosystem. That is within you, and only you.
It coming from within me, did not come out of thin air. This is how playstation has been for 20 years and I've been upgrading, and enjoying the new hardware every single generation, while always anticipating what's next in the next generation.

It is a syndrome a lot of body builders go through as example. Chasing size, and not accepting there will always be someone bigger. Luckily that sport has changed now where size is not the main importance, and physique, proportions, density/definition take precedence now.
Fair enough, but everybody's got their issues. Video games are important to me. Yes, this is my problem, but whatever it is you're trying to say isn't helping (if that's what you're trying to do).

Again, not personal at all, just blanket statements. Your dissonance is taking it personal.
Well to be honest man, it really does feel like you initiated my dissonance when you insinuated me saying I don't want people to enjoy the Ps4K just because I don't want it, and that I want it to fail. And I never said anything of the sort.

Dinjooh

Bummed this is missing E3 but I guess it makes sense because the focus is all about the games. It's all kinds of interesting to see what MS will do besides the Slim announcement. Will they go public about Scorpio too?

If they do, I'd love to see the rationale behind doing so, and how they're going to present it.

Because talking about a console that's 1½ year away sounds like lunacy.

I'm guessing they're not going to talk about.

sorry. I didn't mean to offend you, but I really am happy with my PS4 here. So, with all the announcements I can't understand why it's so bad another PS4 arrive if this is an opportunity to have even more years of support for this platform.
you didn't really offend me, I just think you didn't have to say something like "attached to being a loser" - it's not like I want to be upset about Ps4K.

we've known about this for a few months now, and I've been trying to tell myself that I can get used to it - maybe I will, maybe I'm wrong and I'll learn to accept it, who knows. If there's like a trade in program or something.

I also appreciated how long the last gen was - I know a lot of people hated it but I want that to be how generations are from here on out..I thought it could be done with consoles now and I didn't have reason to believe otherwise seeing as how they have been selling so well.

vpance

From more recent information it seems that there have been two options from the start of this thing and one of them is considerably more powerful but would also have a price point above what they feel is acceptable.

So $599 8TF then. Sounds ok to me

joecanada

Not at all. And I'll speak for myself.

I don't care if other people want to buy the Ps4K. That has no bearing on the decisions I make as a gamer. When I bought my Ps4, I was thinking of what I wanted for myself. If that counts as selfish, well then what the hell was your train of thought the last time you bought a console?
Do you really need to make this personal?

If you want a neo buy one and be happy. None of your posts bely any happiness. So you don't want to buy one? , so don't. What exactly is the problem?

Not one of your posts shows any reason why this is bad overall except " I want the games but don't want the console". You could say this about any stage of PlayStation growth " I'm not ready for ps1, ps2 , ps3 etc"

I didn't buy a ps3 for 6 months because I couldn't afford it . I didn't complain that it was too early because I wasn't ready

geordiemp

Sounds like the higher option is north of $500, which is a non-starter. No matter how much goodwill and market share Sony built, they cannot sell a >$500 Neo without strong push back.

They learned that lesson the hard way with $599 PS3.

You make no sense, its nothing like the Ps3, there was only 1 ps3.

There would be a $ 300 Ps4 and a premium $ 550 Ps4.

A $ 400 Neo Ps4 that struggles to get much better frame rates than standard ps4 is a dead duck. 4 TF does not help the CPU run the code better, and ps4 is 1080 already....

What is a $ 400 Neo for, better shadows and LODs....Good luck. Remember, the $ 300 Ps4 is for people who dont care, the Neo is for the DISCERNING consumer willing to pay more for a JUMP in performance. Maybe that does not read too well, but you know what I mean, some people are sensitive to graphics and frame rate, some dont really notice it and are content.

Elios83

If they do, I'd love to see the rationale behind doing so, and how they're going to present it.

Because talking about a console that's 1½ year away sounds like lunacy.

I'm guessing they're not going to talk about.

It won't happen just like Neo at E3 wasn't going to happen.
Microsoft is not that dumb. Their business this holiday season is to sell the Xbox One Slim, annoucing their next box now is pointless, it's like admitting that Xbox One is dead and tell people "please don't buy it and wait for us next year".
It's suicidal. No one is going to wait for them anyway.

You make no sense, its nothing like the Ps3, there was only 1 ps3.

There would be a $ 300 Ps4 and a premium $ 550 Ps4.

A $ 400 Neo Ps4 that struggles to get much better frame rates than standard ps4 is a dead duck. 4 TF does not help the CPU run the code better, and ps4 is 1080 already....What is a $ 400 Neo for, better shadows and LODs....Good luck.

Neo is not meant to be the PS5. It's like the n3DS.
A more expensive SKU within the PS4 family which allows for ''premium'' graphics. With more than double the GPU power, overclocked CPU and more bandwidth the differences will be noticeable but it won't be a generational difference.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As a consumer, this is good for me because it gives me an option that I previously never had.

I appreciate that and do not want to be unsympathetic, but this kind of "magic option" comes with a price... I am not sure I want to kill the console model in exchange for this option.

5245ba062fa6b4b5e9687341f2bcdb45.jpg

If you want a neo buy one and be happy. None of your posts bely any happiness. So you don't want to buy one? , so don't. What exactly is the problem?

Not one of your posts shows any reason why this is bad overall except " I want the games but don't want the console". You could say this about any stage of PlayStation growth " I'm not ready for ps1, ps2 , ps3 etc"

I didn't buy a ps3 for 6 months because I couldn't afford it . I didn't complain that it was too early because I wasn't ready
maybe I should just wait a little while and think about it some more. If there is a trade in program that does make things easier but at the same time it still goes against when I bought my Ps4 in the first place I expected it to be the best playstation hardware for next (however long this gen is gonna be) X years. that's not longer true.

The1Ski

Yep.

Store shelves people, STORE SHELVES in their Playstation Ecosystem.

Not your living room, lol.

That does make more sense but at the same time it's still a weird thing to say.

Does a better model TV sitting next to lesser model TV at Best Buy compliment it?

thuway

At the Jaguar/36CU specs I'll pass at $499/£400+. Sony would be crazy if they go down this route for me.

If Sony went with this configuration- it would be $399. If they tried something more it would be $499. Unless the specs justified it, people would really go hard at Sony for trying to pass off the Jaguar/36 CU for $499 because its apparently a cheaper machine to produce with a higher price tag.

e-gamer

The BC was a surprise....At launch do you think 360 defectors would of believed all 360 games would run flawless on different architecture - I doubt it lol. How do the 360 games run by the way ?

But nowadays is a completely different situation. And scorpio'bc would work also for Xbox one.

androvsky

maybe I should just wait a little while and think about it some more. If there is a trade in program that does make things easier but at the same time it still goes against when I bought my Ps4 in the first place I expected it to be the best playstation hardware for next (however long this gen is gonna be) X years. that's not longer true.

All this reminds me of when my wife (then-girlfriend) bought me a PSP a month before the PSP Slim was announced, the latter having double the memory to help combat famously bad load times thanks to the UMD drive and TV output. Both were features I seriously wanted from the PSP. Never did get another PSP, still have that model. It's still a pretty good system, had a lot of fun with it.

geordiemp

But nowadays is a completely different situation. And scorpio'bc would work also for Xbox one.

Yup, I will consider moving back to MS if Neo is not what i want.

Neo is not meant to be the PS5. It's like the n3DS.
A more expensive SKU within the PS4 family which allows for ''premium'' graphics. With more than double the GPU power, overclocked CPU and more bandwidth the differences will be noticeable but it won't be a generational difference.

It wont be noticeable, what is premium graphics ? All my Ps4 games are 1080p and look great.

The problem with ps4 is too many 30 FPS games and dipping below 30, Games like Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Souls, Just Cause 3 (I could go on all day).

A premium elite pro Ps4 that can run these games with CPU + 30 % is not premium graphics is it, its a slight tinker to shadows, AA, AF - who cares ? If it gets the frame rate up to 40 or 50 FPS in these games, it changes nothing of importance for the consumer.

Do I have to wait until Ps5 to get 60 FPS in these games ? I bet Scorpio will do it !

Edit : N3ds was a very poor move and just bled the dedicated fan base that only Nintendo can seem to do. Sony should not do this or they will let MS back into USA and UK markets.

joecanada

Ya I get that but honestly in the world of consumer electronics we should probably consider ourselves lucky consoles have actually been a bit behind the times. You buy a stereo, TV, PC, Blu-ray, and they all get updated yearly .
Best is to make a budget and decide what's best for you . Some people buy a new TV every other year. I'm the guy that buys their TV lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That does make more sense but at the same time it's still a weird thing to say.

Does a better model TV sitting next to lesser model TV at Best Buy compliment it?

It complements their TV lineup, yes. Features and specs in different price brackets for various needs/wants.

Again, it is a bit of PR of course, but that is how these things work.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
THE:MILKMAN said:
Is there an example of a completely different CPU (Jaguar>Zen) being "swapped out"
The focus on these console CPUs is overblown anyway. Console hw had "weak" CPUs (by personal computer standards) for literally their entire history, and this was especially true for running anything resembling PC-centric codebase (which is 90% of multiplatform codebases nowadays).
If anything - PS4/XB1 CPUs are in a better position than PS2,GC and DC were relative to their time on the market (and even XB for that matter), and literally the only excuse for large increase to CPU budget is for these new iterations to give a completely transparent increase to framerate (and I thought Gaf didn't like giving 'lazy devs' excuses to be lazy).

Mind you - if marketing for any new iteration will be "buy this new more expensive console - it's exactly the same, except runs all the same games 2x(or more) as fast" - then they probably should spend extra on desktop-grade CPUs, but I somehow doubt that will be the case for any of them.

If this thing is $500 or more then the base mode will keep selling so much more.
It almost certainly won't be. This would probably be $400 and the OG PS4 will get another price drop. That said, I doubt Sony will care if the OG PS4 outsells the Neo, because Sony makes most of their money from games and peripherals not the consoles themselves.

WTF? The low-spec, up-clocked Jaguar Neo is $499? I could have sworn you said $399 and was the low price point although that was months ago and I know things can change. The only way this makes sense is if the specs of the lower model have been upgraded. I'm all for the Neo, but $500 for another fucking Jaguar CPU would be highly disappointing. Maybe they should should wait if that's the best they can do this year.

It almost certainly won't be. This would probably be $400 and the OG PS4 will get another price drop. That said, I doubt Sony will care if the OG PS4 outsells the Neo, because Sony makes most of their money from games and peripherals not the consoles themselves.

Osisris just posted that $500 seens like the lowest pricepoint now.

duhmetree

I'd rather spend $599 and get a better CPU than $499 for a overclocked Jaguar.

I could be wrong but isn't the CPU the main driver for fps? The whole point of NEO is everything in 60fps (for me atleast)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it feels a little personal dude. you said I don't want people to enjoy Ps4K, and I never said that, and now you're implying that I want Ps4K to fail, and I didn't say that either.I'd come across as delusional if I acted like Ps4K did not exist.

It coming from within me, did not come out of thin air. This is how playstation has been for 20 years and I've been upgrading, and enjoying the new hardware every single generation, while always anticipating what's next in the next generation.

Fair enough, but everybody's got their issues. Video games are important to me. Yes, this is my problem, but whatever it is you're trying to say isn't helping (if that's what you're trying to do).

Well to be honest man, it really does feel like you initiated my dissonance when you insinuated me saying I don't want people to enjoy the Ps4K just because I don't want it, and that I want it to fail. And I never said anything of the sort.

One last time, and I will try and keep this short.

Your issue, is that you want the best of said ecosystem, but do not want to purchase the best if it happens to come out. So you would rather have it not come out, so you are not faced with your own personal plight.

Some who do want it, and will purchase it, take issue with that thinking, because that is something personal that should not project on others who do. Truthfully, if you do not want to buy something, then don't, while working on the 'best of the best' emotions from within.

That is all I am getting at. Do not penalize other's enjoyment, and come up with antiquated generation reasons, failing to understand 'hard resets' and why most developers/platform makers no longer want those risks, all because you want what you have now, to be the 'best [see: only] option'.

I did nothin to trigger anything in you. This is you projecting personal feelings which you have admitted to in this very thread as to why you do not want it, and trying to back those feelings with old gen patterns in why it should not come to be, is it not?

Derp

E3 2017 will be the best one guys trust me. Cyberpunk 2077 and PS4 Neo and everything. Best E3 since sliced bread. I can feel it.

I'd rather spend $599 and get a better CPU than $499 for a overclocked Jaguar.

I could be wrong but isn't the CPU the main driver for fps? The whole point of NEO is everything in 60fps

Same for me. That would not be anything but a let down.

If it's 4.2 tflops for this price think I'll be passing upgraded cpu or not.

Yeah good luck convincing people that is something be excited about.

E3 2017 will be the best one guys trust me. Cyberpunk 2077 and PS4 Neo and everything. Best E3 since sliced bread. I can feel it.

This E3 will be great for PlayStation 4 owners. Games first over hardware.

duhmetree

How much is that APU costing? If AMD is selling a 5+TFlop gpu at retail for $199... what could be costing so much? Doesn't add up

How much is that APU costing? If AMD is selling a 5+TFlop gpu at retail for $199... what could be costing so much? Doesn't add up

Yeah this makes no sense at all unless the the specs of the lower tier Neo have been improved. How does the price go UP after finding out how cheap the retail version of the likely GPU will be?

Greedy Sony want to milk hardcore fans.
Maybe 4K bluray drive is expensive,

I did not consider this, but that should have been in the estimate initially.

vpance

WTF? The low-spec, up-clocked Jaguar Neo is $499? I could have sworn you said $399 and was the low price point although that was months ago and I know things can change. The only way this makes sense is if the specs of the lower model have been upgraded. I'm all for the Neo, but $500 for another fucking Jaguar CPU would be highly disappointing. Maybe they should should wait if that's the best they can do this year.

The $399 model had the upclocked Jag. Now that model doesn't exist anymore.

$499 Zen 5-6TF, same as Scorpio
$599 Zen 8TF

Is the last part of the thread title in reference to Kimishima's NX remarks? lol if so.

Edit - No, it looks like House basically said that in the second quote, nevermind!

thuway

$499 Zen 5-6TF, same as Scorpio
$599 Zen 8TF

This post makes a lot of sense ^_^.

Osiris just posted that the lower spec is looking like $499. Doesn't make sense to me but there it is.

Hmmm maybe he mispoke. His original post and thread had him share that he was assured Sony wanted to target $399. It makes little sense to release an incremental platform at $499 if it's really just a minor bump up. I fully expect the "higher end" option to be $499 and the lower end to be $399.

THE:MILKMAN

I can't believe two options (APUs?) seem to be still be on the table in June 2016 and that devs have the lower option in dev kits.

Top Bottom