• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

All this reminds me of when my wife (then-girlfriend) bought me a PSP a month before the PSP Slim was announced, the latter having double the memory to help combat famously bad load times thanks to the UMD drive and TV output. Both were features I seriously wanted from the PSP. Never did get another PSP, still have that model. It's still a pretty good system, had a lot of fun with it.
that's kinda cute. yeah i wonder how people who bought playstations felt right before the slim ones came out.
Ya I get that but honestly in the world of consumer electronics we should probably consider ourselves lucky consoles have actually been a bit behind the times. You buy a stereo, TV, PC, Blu-ray, and they all get updated yearly .
Best is to make a budget and decide what's best for you . Some people buy a new TV every other year. I'm the guy that buys their TV lol
that's why consoles have been great for nothing having that approach, and yes we have been lucky up until now for things to have been that way.
One last time, and I will try and keep this short.
This isn't the first time we've argued about it and if it feels like a chore you don't have to do it. If you haven't been able to change my mind all this time I don't think you will be able to now.

Your issue, is that you want the best of said ecosystem, but do not want to purchase the best if it happens to come out. So you would rather have it not come out, so you are not faced with your own personal plight.
No, I do purchase the best that comes out - it's why I upgraded from Ps3 to 4. I'd rather the industry simply not move in this direction. That's what this is.

Some who do want it, and will purchase it, take issue with that thinking, because that is something personal that should not project on others who do. Truthfully, if you do not want to buy something, then don't, while working on the 'best of the best' emotions from within.
as I explained to you, it is a juxtaposition because i want the best playstation hardware; I thought i was getting it when I bought the Ps4 but I didn't know there was gonna be a better Ps4 a few years down the road. I just don't like this direction. I'm not projecting anything to anyone, my opinion shouldn't matter to others that much.

That is all I am getting at. Do not penalize other's enjoyment,
and again, where do you see me doing that? again you're accusing me of this when in terms any and everyone else i've been saying that if you're looking forward to it then more power to you
and come up with antiquated generation reasons, failing to understand 'hard resets' and why most developers/platform makers no longer want those risks, all because you want what you have now, to be the 'best [see: only] option'.
if generations are so antiquated then why are the consoles so successful? i've seen teh argument of developers and platform makers not wanting those risks but those risks being dispelled when they saw how successful the consoles are now. there's nothing fail to understand about hard resets. that's what this industry does. and every generation of them have sold hundreds of millions of consoles.

I did nothin to trigger anything in you.
you kinda did. i quoted you several posts back of you accusing me of being selfish but you never responded.
This is you projecting personal feelings which you have admitted to in this very thread as to why you do not want it, and trying to back those feelings with old gen patterns in why it should not come to be, is it not?
that's my perspective, yeah, but what exactly are you trying to do here? the arguments you're giving me isn't making me change my mind, it's showing me that you lack empathy. if you want the industry to go this way, then that's fine and you should be happy. don't mistake my discontent as an attempt to rain on the parade of those who are excited.

but don't be inconsiderate and condescending to those who aren't happy about the direction the industry is going. as you can see, that doesn't turn out well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The $399 model had the upclocked Jag. Now that model doesn't exist anymore.

$499 Zen 5-6TF, same as Scorpio
$599 Zen 8TF

Yeah, at this point I'm expecting $499 with a custom Zen CPU and a GPU around 5TF

RAM bandwidth would also be a concern. The leaked bandwidth didn't seem so hot for a GPU of that caliber.

Asi9

Neo Member
Meh, whatever. I'd rather it not even happen, and I still don't like the idea of consoles becoming 3-4 year upgrades. Kills the push to get the maximum out of the hardware and wastes my money for tiny improvements. I'd rather they just make consoles modular if we are heading in this direction.

Meh, whatever. I'd rather it not even happen, and I still don't like the idea of consoles becoming 3-4 year upgrades. Kills the push to get the maximum out of the hardware and wastes my money for tiny improvements. I'd rather they just make consoles modular if we are heading in this direction.

modular?

thuway

Yeah, at this point I'm expecting $499 with a custom Zen CPU and a GPU around 5TF

RAM bandwidth would also be a concern. The leaked bandwidth didn't seem so hot for a GPU of that caliber.

The $499 option would equal Scorpio. It might actually be the exact same parts as Scorpio from a architecture and performance standpoint outside of customizations both companies do to hardware. IE - Sony putting in the massive globs of ALUs on the PS4's GPU.

Also word around the block is- Polaris/Vega have very sophisticated and intelligent memory compression mechanisms that make the current memory architectures we have look foolish by comparison. Scorpio is rumored to be targetting 4X Xbox One's memory performance (4X68 roughly 280 GB/S), and so if Sony went with this option they'd most likely do the same.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The $499 option would equal Scorpio. It might actually be the exact same parts as Scorpio from a architecture and performance standpoint outside of customizations both companies do to hardware. IE - Sony putting in the massive globs of ALUs on the PS4's GPU.

Also word around the block is- Polaris/Vega have very sophisticated and intelligent memory compression mechanisms that make the current memory architectures we have look foolish by comparison. Scorpio is rumored to be targetting 4X Xbox One's memory performance (4X68 roughly 280 GB/S), and so if Sony went with this option they'd most likely do the same.

I'd be curious to see what kind of customizations they would do this time around.

I knew about the memory compression in Polaris but I didn't think it would have that much of an impact. Would be awesome if true though.

ohhh you mean like be able to open up your Ps4 and upgrade it yourself? that would make it even more like PC gaming but I think that's fairer than iterative consoles, yeah.
I really don't like that idea. It would make devs have to compensate for a ton more hardware configurations like in the PC versions of games. This article has a dev talking about how they prefer Neo/Scorpio for that reason, still much easier than PC optimization.

http://wccftech.com/developing-ps4-...utm_campaign=Feed:+Wccftechcom+(WCCFtech.com)

giphy.gif

thuway

I'd be curious to see what kind of customizations they would do this time around.

I knew about the memory compression in Polaris but I didn't think it would have that much of an impact. Would be awesome if true though.

Memory is one thing thing AMD happens to be REALLY good at. The were instrumental in the creation of the modern day GDDR standard, and are pioneers in the HBM space. So I trust they know what they are doing. Bandwith isn't so much a concern for me.

robo

If it's £450-£500 then I will hold off unless they do a trade in.

I was happy at a slight boost and 4k uhd support For £300, Sony going all in so early in the gen for a bigger boosted neo,for me they may as well hold off 2 years and just go ps5 at the 6 year point.

If it's £450-£500 then I will hold off unless they do a trade in.

I was happy at a slight boost and 4k uhd support For £300, Sony going all in so early in the gen for a bigger boosted neo,for me they may as well hold off 2 years and just go ps5 at the 6 year point.

Just sell it yourself. Why do you need a trade-in?

8TF why the hell not lol...

That seems unlikely(I don't think $599 will happen), but idea that the specs of this $499 model are higher than leaked specs makes sense.

onQ123

The $399 model had the upclocked Jag. Now that model doesn't exist anymore.

$499 Zen 5-6TF, same as Scorpio
$599 Zen 8TF

8TF? what the hell is going on around here?

I wouldn't even want a 8TF system that's limited to just playing games that's held back in some way to also be played on a 1.3TF system.

but then again if it give us 4K games that look better than Uncharted 4 who am I to complain?

thuway

8TF why the hell not lol...

At $599 they could actually release something close to an 8 TF machine believe it or not *(more closer to 7). They'd have to go for the full Polaris/Vega GPU though and the box would be quite a bit bigger, with a much larger power draw. In all honesty, it would be impractical because the sales wouldn't cooperate.

Asi9

Neo Member
ohhh you mean like be able to open up your Ps4 and upgrade it yourself? that would make it even more like PC gaming but I think that's fairer than iterative consoles, yeah.

Without the opening up part. Like if they gave a new console expansion ports, so external components could be added. Every few years, put out a small box that has upgraded components and interfaces with your existing system. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than releasing an entire new console, which honestly, is probably why it won't happen.

Your average console gamer isn't very intelligent about what they're actually getting in terms of a hardware upgrade, and what it's actually worth. They just know "omg it's better though, so I'll spend whatever it costs".

Drifters

So people are now shitting on 1080p @ 60FPS because the terraflops don't excite them the same way as the new Xbox? Fuck me.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sheesh if this things not even coming out this fall, then I guess next fall I'll be getting a regular old PS4 since the price difference between the two'll likely be even more substantial.

"Best E3 ever"....yeah.. Next year.. This year let's see.. Ummm... no Nintendo NX, no PS Neo.. Most likely no Scorpio... and unlikely no strong VR prensence...

I don't know what there is even to get hyped for :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"Best E3 ever"....yeah.. Next year.. This year let's see.. Ummm... no Nintendo NX, no PS Neo.. Most likely no Scorpio... and unlikely no strong VR prensence...

Get hyped for the games! ...Almost all of which won't be released with the next year or even longer if that other thread was anything ta go by -_-

Did he mention Flops in the post, or a model (option) no longer existing? I am confused a little.

Where is this... quote?

It is in the title of the thread. Last time it wasn't there. The title got updated with it. It seems there is a news where Sony said this. That is why the title got updated. But where is this news?

But the games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is in the title of the thread. Last time it wasn't there. The title got updated with it. It seems there is a news where Sony said this. That is why the title got updated. But where is this news?

That is what I am asking. Where is the quote to back this up? Same article updated? Another source? Tales?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
time heals all wounds. if a Neo would be $499 now it'd surely be down to cost of the APU which in turn will be down to shitty 14nm yields. 6 month delay could turn that completely around and make it affordable at $399 for example. I think it could almost be a game of chicken - who is willing to release first at a high price, or willing to launch and absorb initial losses hoping that yields improve rapidly.

Sounds like waiting until Q3 2017 would make sense for both parties.

DieH@rd

Banned
I honestly would be thrilled if the Neo could take a game like FFXV, keep everything the same but give it UC4 quality IQ.

I hate jaggies.

Do you have TV that is larger than 50"? That's the proven limit for managing to spot the difference between 1080p and 720p jaggies.

You can also aways move further away from TV. :)

So people are now shitting on 1080p @ 60FPS because the terraflops don't excite them the same way as the new Xbox? Fuck me.

The leaked specs are not doing 1080p/60fps, especially with that CPU.

If the speculation on this current is is any where close to accurate I would be very satisfied.

Sounds like waiting until Q3 2017 would make sense for both parties.

Why should Sony wait? The hardcore will buy the $500 box while the majority will likely go with $300 box. Both will be profitable.

That is what I am asking. Where is the quote to back this up? Same article updated? Another source? Tales?

Looking for an explanation from Sony too. Yesterday when they stated that they won't reveal it at E3, they didn't clarify why. It seems this is one of the reasons. But where has this been said?

SgtCobra

That seems unlikely(I don't think $599 will happen), but idea that the specs of this $499 model are higher than leaked specs makes sense.
Yep, but is this an answer to the Scorpio specs? The rumors always insisted that the Neo would release in fall 2016 but now plans seem to be changing?
At $599 they could actually release something close to an 8 TF machine believe it or not *(more closer to 7). They'd have to go for the full Polaris/Vega GPU though and the box would be quite a bit bigger, with a much larger power draw. In all honesty, it would be impractical because the sales wouldn't cooperate.
7-8TF is a lot, but as long as it can co-exist with the standard PS4 then I guess it could find it's niche at that price?

duhmetree

Did he mention Flops in the post, or a model (option) no longer existing? I am confused a little.

Where is this... quote?

He said Sony has 2 options. The cheaper option is $499.

AMD is retailing one of the main components at $199. What could cost so much in the APU?

Either it's
a) misinformation
b) Sony has upped the specs CPU/GPU clock/Cooling?
or c)Sony plans on not selling a single unit

We're going with B

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He said Sony has 2 options. The cheaper option is $499.

AMD is retailing one of the main components at $199. What could cost so much in the APU?

Either it's
a) misinformation
b) Sony has upped the specs CPU/GPU clock/Cooling?
or c)Sony plans on not selling a single unit

We're going with B

Wasnt the lower option 399? Im confused.

Yeah, I thought the cheaper option was $399, and the CPU upgraded was $499? Unless things have changed now.

I still want to know where the, 'waiting on games' quote is from.

buru5

Banned
Shaking? Nintendo is a step behind everything... If you wanna survive beyond e3 restraint yourself from posting nonsense.

Sony has attempted to copy everything Nintendo has done since the Wii-era. This new Ps4 Neo is obviously an attempt to stay ahead of the NX.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gamasutra had a bit more from the article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...tion_Neo_rumors_but_console_wont_be_at_E3.php

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4," House explained. "We will be selling both through the life cycle. All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4.”

According to House, Sony wants to ensure there are enough games and experiences that can showcase the Neo’s improved functionality before officially unveiling it to the public, which is why it won’t be revealed at E3.

Speaking more broadly about consumer reaction, House believes buyers have become used to frequent, and often costly, upgrades thanks in part to the emergence of high-end smartphones.

"We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety," continued the Sony Interactive Entertainment president.

"The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Thanks!

And here was the original post by Osiris (as far as pricing)...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462&highlight=399

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

Top Bottom