• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

$399 is definitely too low, considering base PS4 will be dropped to $299. Not enough separation between the two SKUs

I'm all for $499 if the hardware is impressive, 6 Teraflops with hopefully a decent CPU

Help me get caught up here. The rumors are now that the Neo will have a better CPU and a 6tflop GPU and sell at $499 now instead of the original upclocked Jaguar CPU and 4Tflop GPU for $399 that was leaked a while ago? Or is everyone here just speculating their asses off?

THE:MILKMAN

At $599 they could actually release something close to an 8 TF machine believe it or not *(more closer to 7). They'd have to go for the full Polaris/Vega GPU though and the box would be quite a bit bigger, with a much larger power draw. In all honesty, it would be impractical because the sales wouldn't cooperate.

More chance Leicester winning the lea....shit! I give up trying to figure it all out and I doubt E3 will provide any clarity.

What a mess.

buru5

Banned
I truly doubt NX factored very heavily into Sony's plans with Neo.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nintendo announces a mid-generation console upgrade, then Sony follows suit and is attempting to push it out around the same time. They did a similar thing with the Move and countless other ideas. To doubt that they are trying to stay ahead of their competition is silly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Help me get caught up here. The rumors are now that the Neo will have a better CPU and a 6tflop GPU and sell at $499 now instead of the original upclocked Jaguar CPU and 4Tflop GPU for $399 that was leaked a while ago? Or is everyone here just speculating their asses off?

To my knowledge there's no known changes from what Eurogamer posted, except that they were once considering a CPU upgrade that would result in a $100 price increase. It's not impossible they went back and did that, but I think it's more likely they just ship what they have planned and ship another console in 2018 or 2019.

Sony's incentive is to extend this gen whereas Microsoft's is to end it and start over, so Sony will want something affordable out sooner to make the next Xbox seem like less of an upgrade until the PS5 comes out 2-3 years after the PS4K.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nintendo announces a mid-generation console upgrade, then Sony follows suit and is attempting to push it out around the same time. They did a similar thing with the Move and countless other ideas.

I think the idea of iterative console upgrades has been floating around the minds of Sony and Microsoft executives for awhile now. I don't think Nintendo was a big factor in their decision-making.

"The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs."

I believe for the first time in consoles this will actually work, and it's only because of the climate now. I prefer the old console cycle but that may be coming to an end.

It may be time I accept this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Hmm. How will they showcase the new machine without alienating the old? Just getting some of the main first party games updated with higher detail stuff?

Thinking about it, first party games will likely take more effort to improve than third party. Third party mostly lead on PC, so there are higher detail assets/settings than can be tapped into. First party games may not have those, so they'll have to be added in.

Thanks!

And here was the original post by Osiris (as far as pricing)...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462&highlight=399

Those leaks were before the RX 480 announcement.

After th new GPU reveal, OsisrisBlack said this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205400140&postcount=422

Current PS4 Neo devkits aren't even representative of the final PS4 Neo specs which may be even higher.

It seems the power plans were changed not just after the Scorpio leak but before that.

ironcreed

Banned
LOL, good luck at $500. Even a new system at $400 before the next couple of years will be a hard sell. Just ride the PS4 for now, Sony.

THE:MILKMAN

To my knowledge there's no known changes from what Eurogamer posted, except that they were once considering a CPU upgrade that would result in a $100 price increase. It's not impossible they went back and did that, but I think it's more likely they just ship what they have planned and ship another console in 2018 or 2019.

Sony's incentive is to extend this gen whereas Microsoft's is to end it and start over, so Sony will want something affordable out sooner to make the next Xbox seem like less of an upgrade until the PS5 comes out 2-3 years after the PS4K.

Yeah I think there is some confusion. The higher spec could have been the normal next gen PS5 in 2018-19 that maybe could have been brought forward a bit i.e. late '17. The lower spec upclocked Jaguar/Polaris would be the mid-gen iteration that it looks like Sony chose? Something along those lines?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm. How will they showcase the new machine without alienating the old? Just getting some of the main first party games updated with higher detail stuff?

Thinking about it, first party games will likely take more effort to improve than third party. Third party mostly lead on PC, so there are higher detail assets/settings than can be tapped into. First party games may not have those, so they'll have to be added in.

If I remember the rumor cycle correctly, third party developers literally received kits two months ago. I'm guessing the delay is that Sony actually wants to show off a much bigger upgrade to these games than they would be able to at E3 when developers have barely had any time with the system.

Yeah I think there is some confusion. The higher spec could have been the normal next gen PS5 in 2018-19 that maybe could have been brought forward a bit i.e. late '17. The lower spec upclocked Jaguar/Polaris would be the mid-bump iteration that it looks like Sony chose? Something along those lines?
I imagine what the actual PS5 is isn't really nailed down at this point and that some people are just hopeful that there won't be a year or two with an Xbox system as the most powerful on the market.

That said I think Sony really doesn't like that scenario either given what they pride their first party titles on and will release a follow up system sooner than later so that there's a minimal amount of time in which developers are leveraging a more powerful competing system, but I'd be surprised if they could actually react so quickly as to release a new system in 2017 that doesn't self defeat the goal of maintaining a ""normal"" generation for the PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL, good luck at $500. Even a new system at $400 before the next couple of years will be a hard sell. Just ride the PS4 for now, Sony.

This is a high end product for enthusiasts so it has a high end price. They'll drop the PS4 price around the same time and it'll keep selling.

Whats the incentive for Sony to release a half-step this year or next year instead of releasing a full-fledged PS5 with total backwards compatibility at the end of 2017?

Kyoufu

If I remember the rumor cycle correctly, third party developers literally received kits two months ago. I'm guessing the delay is that Sony actually wants to show off a much bigger upgrade to these games than they would be able to at E3 when developers have barely had any time with the system.

Just show a bunch of Ubisoft games.

Mendax

Whats the incentive for Sony to release a half-step this year or next year instead of releasing a full-fledged PS5 with total backwards compatibility at the end of 2017?

to have a normal lifespan instead of one that woud be cut short

and to provide a decent upgrade instead of xbox two that seems to come out too soon

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They don't want to reset a generation that they won hands down after only three years, so this lets them try to offer a competitor to any outside attempts to upset the generation (see the Xbox Scorpio), while still trying to milk 5-6 years out of this one.

It's notable that the PS4K requires all games also run on the PS4, whereas the implication of the VR addition to the Xbox Scorpio suggests Microsoft isn't.

It's kind of an awkward dance for consumers, but makes sense from the corporate perspective of both Microsoft and Sony, where each is trying to make the move that's most favorable for themselves.

Why do they need luck? Most people will buy the cheaper model, but more people will buy the Neo as the price starts to drop. As long as you buy a PlayStation 4 they won't care.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Because the technology won't be there for a full generation increase at 399.99 next year. In 2019 they will be able to deliver a full generation increase at 399.99.

duhmetree

Yeah, I thought I was in the minority with this thought.

Zen+ Vega APU w/16-32GB HBM2, as soon as this could be sold for $499, it will be released. 2018-2019. Excited for what will be possible 2 years from now

This is a high end product for enthusiasts so it has a high end price. They'll drop the PS4 price around the same time and it'll keep selling.

Ill pay 500 bucks no problem. You hit the nail exactly on the head-this is a product for enthusiasts with the disposable income. Plus im sure retailers like gamestop will offer healthy trade in values when the time comes. In essense, people will only be spending 300 bucks or so.

Edit: 500 bucks provided the cpu jump is more sizeable than an upclocked Jagaur. Any hope for more RAM?

That said I think Sony really doesn't like that scenario either given what they pride their first party titles on and will release a follow up system sooner than later so that there's a minimal amount of time in which developers are leveraging a more powerful competing system, but I'd be surprised if they could actually react so quickly as to release a new system in 2017 that doesn't self defeat the goal of maintaining a ""normal"" generation for the PS4.

I think this depends on how powerful Neo and Scorpio are .
I don't think Sony minds riding out 2 years if the gap not big and bring out PS5 in 3 more years .

Each new gen for PlayStation had a x16 increase in system memory.

- PS1: 2 MB
- PS2: 32 MB
- PS3 : 512 MB
- PS4 : 8 GB

By 2017, Sony won't be able to reach that goal for PS5. That is why the high-end PS4 Neo will be there to fill the gap of the hardware and graphics advances until we reach the exponential jump in memory and components and techs by 2020 to allow such trend of increase.

kirby_fox

Banned

The whole idea of this is to tap into a different market that Sony (and Microsoft) don't have. The baseline will likely be the PS4/XB1 where it's kind of the starting point. Then you have an upgrade down the line for enthusiasts. Down the line farther you do it again, but baseline is PS4 still. And you keep doing it but eventually the PS4 will fit into a small Roku-like device that you can sell for $99. This is a market you don't normally get because it's people who wait until the PS5 is coming out to get a PS4. But if you keep doing this instead, you have a baseline that will keep getting new titles. So you expand your market to a lot more people this way. Especially if you have other things to sell like PS Vue and VR.

It'll be nice because you'll be able to play games on PS4 for a long time, but the bad part is when games don't run well on it and that's what I know I fear happening more so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this depends on how powerful Neo and Scorpio are .
I don't think Sony minds riding out 2 years if the gap not big and bring out PS5 in 3 more years .

Right, and I think that's actually part of why they want to delay the unveil of the PS4K.

It's in Sony's favor for the gap between the PS4K and PS4 to look as large as possible, because then graphics enthusiasts will upgrade to a PS4K and be less likely to upgrade to an Xbox Scorpio next year instead.

They don't want to reset a generation that they won hands down after only three years, so this lets them try to offer a competitor to any outside attempts to upset the generation (see the Xbox Scorpio), while still trying to milk 5-6 years out of this one.

It's notable that the PS4K requires all games also run on the PS4, whereas the implication of the VR addition to the Xbox Scorpio suggests Microsoft isn't.

It's kind of an awkward dance for consumers, but makes sense from the corporate perspective of both Microsoft and Sony, where each is trying to make the move that's most favorable for themselves.
So what are developers likely to do in this instance if the Scorpio is a 9th gen console and the NEO only being an 8th and a half gen console? I can't see third party devs making games exclusive for the Scorpio and PC when the PS4 has more than double the install base. Will this move essentially force the Scorpio to be a 8th and a half gen console?

MilkBeard

Yeah, it's fine to offer something expensive if it is an option. People who want it will go for it, while everyone else will be fine with the standard PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

By 2017, Sony won't be able to reach that goal for PS5. That is why the high-end PS4 Neo will be there to fill the gap of the hardware and graphics advances until we reach the exponential jump in memory and components and techs by 2020 to allow such trend of increase.

I think 8GB would be enough for a PS4k for a good few years. Maybe add memory for the OS so SBS can use the entire 8GB for games..

Does anything...even the most high ends pcs even have 128 GB of ram? That just sounds ridiculous.

Even if such a thing existed the price would be astromonical.

Any hope ps4k gets more ram? Or is it just a gpu and cpu bump?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what are developers likely to do in this instance if the Scorpio is a 9th gen console and the NEO only being an 8th and a half gen console? I can't see third party devs making games exclusive for the Scorpio and PC when the PS4 has more than double the install base. Will this move essentially force the Scorpio to be a 8th and a half gen console?
Most developers will make cross-gen games between the PS4/XBO/PS4K/XBS for quite some time, the same way they did with the PS3/360 this generation, especially since the overall gap is less large.

Eventually they'll ween off the Xbox One and PS4, maybe the former first if Microsoft isn't requiring it, and probably both by or shortly after the time the PS5 releases.

I suspect everyone will get a normal (5-6 year) cycle out of their PS4 and XBO in terms of third party game support, it's just that they won't be the most powerful systems on the market for that full cycle.

thuway

Right, and I think that's actually part of why they want to delay the unveil of the PS4K.

It's in Sony's favor for the gap between the PS4K and PS4 to look as large as possible, because then graphics enthusiasts will upgrade to a PS4K and be less likely to upgrade to an Xbox Scorpio next year instead.

How would you feel about if Sony had a Plan B in place? A plan which, they would replace the CPU and massively improve the performance of the machine but they charged $499 as opposed to $399 for the current Jaguar 36 CU box?

Essentially, would you be willing to play for a $499 box that is Scorpio level performance?

Nah, I hate the smartphone cycle. If there's yearly upgrades after the PS4.5 and certain games work for ,say, the PS4.75 but not for the regular PS4 and you have to look at the description of the game to see what versions of PlayStation support the game and it ends up with spotty performance issues on older consoles, then that shit isn't for me.

If they're sticking with upgrading every 3-4 years though and making one iteration backwards/forwards compatible with the last and the performance is acceptable I'll be fine with it. That's not much different than current console generations for the average consumer. Anything resembling the phone market is terrible though and I'd rather go with PC instead of that crap.

ohhh you mean like be able to open up your Ps4 and upgrade it yourself? that would make it even more like PC gaming but I think that's fairer than iterative consoles, yeah.

giphy.gif

WHAT?

VariantX

Because a forwards compatible upgrade doesn't shut people out of future software if they aren't up to buying new hardware so soon, while a PS5 is required to play the new stuff. A real PS5 would also need to be a much bigger jump, something that would probably be much more expensive to deliver right now than a $4-500 machine can right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How would you feel about if Sony had a Plan B in place? A plan which, they would replace the CPU and massively improve the performance of the machine but they charged $499 as opposed to $399 for the current Jaguar 36 CU box?

Essentially, would you be willing to play for a $499 box that is Scorpio level performance?

I mean I think either option is fine overall. It's just I feel things have arrived where they are today because of the interests each went into this with.

If Sony doesn't feel comfortable with a more powerful Xbox even for a short term period, then yeah, I could see them waiting until 2017 and effectively releasing a new generation console with a mandatory cross generation requirement.

I honestly do feel 80%+ of the PS4's success stemmed from them have a $400 box that ran third party games objectively better than Microsoft's $500 box as opposed to their first party software/marketing/OS/policies/etc, so I could imagine a scenario where they really felt the need to guard that hardware scenario, or at least maintain relative parity.

MilkBeard

Yeah, I feel like if Microsoft is trying to start fresh (i.e. not keeping Scorpio as an upgrade to Xbox One, but instead making it a brand new generation for them) things are going to start getting weird.

I hope Scorpio will be enough new and different to justify this so soon.

Nah, I hate the smartphone cycle. If there's yearly upgrades after the PS4.5 and certain games work for ,say, the PS4.75 but not for the regular PS4 and you have to look at the description of the game to see what versions of PlayStation support the game and it ends up with spotty performance issues on older consoles, then that shit isn't for me.

If they're sticking with upgrading every 3-4 years though and making one iteration backwards/forwards compatible with the last and the performance is acceptable I'll be fine with it. That's not much different than current console generations for the average consumer. Anything resembling the phone market is terrible though and I'd rather go with PC instead of that crap.

I think the latter is what Sony will do and what makes the most sense. Youll see more powerful hardware every 2 or 3 years and the next numbered system every 5 or 6 years.

Top Bottom