• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demos 4K/HDR enhancements for PS4 Pro at TGS (FFXV, RE7, UC4, Horizon, Infamous)

chefbags

Why are you blaming them for making the game available on what's essentially a new and more powerful system? How's this any different from a simultaneous PC release?

They still optimized it on PS4. That version of the game would have existed regardless.

Yeah I don't get it either.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
There is absolutely nothing confirming this. The early leak is all that said that. So far all Sony has said officially is that games released after the Pro launches "will be able to take advantage." That, mixed with how it was talked about for a moment during the reveal, is currently making it sound like it absolutely is in the hands of the developers and publishers if they want to put the extra resources into making a "Pro mode."

You realise not doing it will hurt devs sales right?

Advertising sells, devs don't need to make high end PC games either especially since their are few who can run them at the absolute max settings but they do it anyway, a big part of that is so they can advertise the potential.

HDR is HDR regardless, so if you are looking for a new set, look for one that has a high NITS (peak brightness) in your price range.

It's not quite this simple. OLED TV's are allowed into a secondary category of HDR, which allows for a lower total brightness, as long as the lowest black levels are much lower as well.

Essentially, there will be very bright LCD HDR TVs, which will have a high max NIT (Brightness) output, with good contrast but a higher base black level. (Blacks won't be as black as on an OLED set) and there will be very vivid OLED HDR TVs with a lower overall brightness max, but much richer and deeper contrast/black levels.

The decision of which to go for depends on the consumer.

ikr? Craving more HDR footage after the two LG demos I watched yesterday night literally blew my socks off (and that is on the midrange Sony TV I have).
Do you know where can I find those LG demo? Also looking for some hdr demo. Only found the Sony Camp hdr demo.

Why are you blaming them for making the game available on what's essentially a new and more powerful system? How's this any different from a simultaneous PC release?

They still optimized it on PS4. That version of the game would have existed regardless.

I already have a PC. It would be fantastic if I could get it on PC day-and-date precisely for the reason that I wouldn't be playing a compromised version.

The OG PS4 version is looking like a heavily compromised version. Up until now every piece of new media we got was met with "oh...", because the consoles are obviously buckling under an engine that can't run the game all that well without some serious finagling of the IQ. Hell, the game even had a lighting engine downgrade over the course of development. I could at least make up the excuse in my head that this is the only version available, because to be honest the OG version doesn't look like that much of a looker.

We already have an "arms race" platform with the PC. If they're going this route at least let me do it on the platform that I already have and the platform that is actually better at doing that. I'm not gonna enter this arms race on another platform, with a walled garden console to boot.

Yeah this needs to happen. Kinda surprised that Sony haven't already done that.

Although there would need to be a huge warning before you download it to prevent people from playing the video on a non-HDR screen and/or with a non-HDR capable player.

Yeah. And very true on that second part or you know people will go nuts over something not set up for their non-HDR tv.

Hear! Hear!

I was initially getting the PS4 version. But now I'd just feel shafted by playing it on the OG console. I'll just wait for PC instead.

Just keep in mind you'll probably be waiting a while.

orochi91

I already have a PC. It would be fantastic if I could get it on PC day-and-date precisely for the reason that I wouldn't be playing a compromised version.

The OG PS4 version is looking like a heavily compromised version. Up until now every piece of new media we got was met with "oh...", because the consoles are obviously buckling under an engine that can't run the game all that well without some serious finagling of the IQ. Hell, the game even had a lighting engine downgrade over the course of development.

We already have an "arms race" platform with the PC. If they're going this route at least let me do it on the platform that I already have and the platform that is actually better at doing that. I'm not gonna enter this arms race on another platform, with a walled garden console to boot.
PS4 version has been vastly improved, according to folks at TGS.

The delay has yielded some great results, as evidenced by the recent trailer and impressions.

Pro version, on the otherhand, is gonna be on another level entirely.

beastlove

I don't think that will be the type of TV most people use. The sub £1000 4k TVs have terrible input lag at the moment. I recently got a refurbished oled tv to replace my 5 year old cheap Samsung and it felt like playing a different console.

Looking at all these screens, it makes me once again feel this technology is going to be a game changer for how immersive and aesthetically pleasing gaming will be...

...once the PS5 is out, and low latency 4K HDR sets are available for just a few hundred quid.

There's fuck all difference in how these shots look, which is obviously going to be the case as I'm looking at it on a normal 1080p screen, using media that's no where near up to the task of displaying the differences as they actually are.

I'm totally convinced that the PS4Pro is offering a game changing experience on a decent 4K television, but all Sony's attempts to sell me on the need to upgrade for that experience so far have just also convinced me that every single other form of media out there is years away from being able to provide decent 4K content.

Hell, it's also made me aware of the fact that Blu Ray and downloading it's equivalent data is pretty much the only media out there other than games that's able to even get to true 1080p visuals right now. Streaming and broadcast visual quality and consistency is just shit at anything above 720p even today.

Vuze

Do you know where can I find those LG demo? Also looking for some hdr demo. Only found the Sony Camp hdr demo.
I actually just found some more, courtesy of ray0414 from avsforum. Here are all LG HDR demos: https://mega.nz/#F!aBAGBJBb!vGOiLiLo9HT7fBA1qww3-Q
Source post with lots of HDR media listed: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ailable-4k-hdr-titles-will-updated-often.html
Also lol @ Samsung for encrypting their HDR samples. Seems they did the same for 4K demos too though m)

I got the two from the site DangerMouse linked but I guess there is no difference.

orochi91

is it crazy to buy a new TV and the PS4 Pro just for this game?
Nah, I'll be getting a new TV as well next year when the GOTY Edition launches.

Final Fantasy is one of my favourite franchise across all forms of media, so I'll be sure to get a TV that makes it shine.

Correct, both PS4/PS4 Pro and Xbox S has the same HDR, the difference is going to come down on which 4k set you have and how it handles HDR. Some sets have lower total NITS output, while other, more high end sets have much higher NITS. So, HDR while being sent from the consoles will be the same, it will be up to the type of TV you have and how effectively it displays HDR content. HDR is HDR regardless, so if you are looking for a new set, look for one that has a high NITS (peak brightness) in your price range.

The Sony ZD9 line form what I have read has the highest NITS output so far, but those are also very expensive TV's. I have a Sony 940d which was suppose to be the high end Sony set for 2016 until the ZD9 line was announced. HDR on my set, at least for movies are incredible looking...waiting on Forza Horizon 3 to get a taste of my first HDR gaming and then Gears of War 4 then I think it will be PS4 Pro time and it's HDR enabled games.

I just got a Samsung KS8000 today. How is the HDR on that?

Shin-chan

Hmm I'm not too interested in 4K but the HDR could be a game changer for me. Are there are good, affordable HDR TVs available at the moment? I may be in the market for a new TV anyway in a few weeks, and I know I'll need a new PS4.

Horizon will look jaw dropping on a 4K set with HDR.
I think that's the game that'll show the worth while upgrade to a new TV for myself.

Hmm I'm not too interested in 4K but the HDR could be a game changer for me. Are there are good, affordable HDR TVs available at the moment? I may be in the market for a new TV anyway in a few weeks, and I know I'll need a new PS4.

Isn't HDR only available on a 4K TV set?

DieH@rd

Banned

Sony X800D is affordable, but it is not really bright.

Samsung KS8000 is 4-5x more bright, really great visuals, but pricier.

AmyS

Roughly what time of year do TVs usually get refreshed? I'm probably going to wait until the 2017 models come out and can grab one of those or a good 2016 set on clearance or something

I might be in the same boat. I could get a 4K HDR set on Black Friday, or wait until the 2017 models are out. That said, I'll still get a PS4 Pro at launch.

Shin-chan

OléGunner;217060612 said:
Horizon will look jaw dropping on a 4K set with HDR.
I think that's the game that'll show the worth while upgrade to a new TV for myself.

Isn't HDR only available on a 4K TV set?
Maybe but I thought since the OG and the slim have HDR (not to mention the Xbone S) that 1080p screens would be able to show it off too.

Edit: thanks for those suggestions. Is it just 4K sets? And is "ultra HD premium" the logo to look out for?

Depends on what you consider "good" and "affordable".

My friend has a cheap Samsung HDR TV around $500. Yes, it technically does HDR but it's edge-lit and the peak brightness is around 300 nits, which is shit. HDR content does not look noticeably different on it compared to others.

You're looking around $1000 for mid-range HDR TV's right now.

In my opinion, if you can wait a few months with your current TV, see what is out there on Black Friday and if you can't get anything just get the Pro. It will benefit you on your current set already. Then, next year with the improved HDR sets you'll get a better bang for your buck and the tech in this year's $1k mid-range may be like $700 next year. I think with both Sony and MS pushing HDR for gaming that the manufacturers are going to take that into account better for their 2017 models.

Maybe but I thought since the OG and the slim have HDR (not to mention the Xbone S) that 1080p screens would be able to show it off too.

Edit: thanks for those suggestions. Is it just 4K sets? And is "ultra HD premium" the logo to look out for?

Yes, display manufacturers are only including it in 4k displays. Not for a technical reason, but it's easier for the display manufacturers to sell you all this new tech at once than to have "HDR", "WCG" and 4k be three new, different technologies consumers would be able to choose from. Thus, it's all a part of the "Ultra HD" label.

"Ultra HD Premium" is the seal of approval that it's a good TV and meets certain quality criteria on resolution, HDR and color reproduction. It's relatively new (from January I believe) but you'll see it more in 2017 TV models. I would _highly recommend_ only looking at TV's with that logo. If it doesn't have it, there's almost certainly some sort of catch. The only thing on top of that to look at is input lag while in HDR mode. If it has the UHD Premium logo and it has low input lag, you found a good set.

thuway

It's not quite this simple. OLED TV's are allowed into a secondary category of HDR, which allows for a lower total brightness, as long as the lowest black levels are much lower as well.

Essentially, there will be very bright LCD HDR TVs, which will have a high max NIT (Brightness) output, with good contrast but a higher base black level. (Blacks won't be as black as on an OLED set) and there will be very vivid OLED HDR TVs with a lower overall brightness max, but much richer and deeper contrast/black levels.

The decision of which to go for depends on the consumer.
The Sony ZD9 series is the only television to get super close to OLED black while becoming blazingly bright. I wish I could afford it.

UrbanRats

And its edge lit. He said proper and when it comes to games and the way they display differently than movies especailly with regards to stationary center fields. I can't see getting an edge lit right now is worth it until we see what happens. Its local dimming is also terrible.

Karak have you done/thought of doing some sort of buying guide, regarding 4K HDR tvs apt for gaming?

Yeah, they are only making 4K HDR sets.

Basically the Ultra HD Premium logo is a pretty good thing in that means that the set conforms to certain display levels agreed to in order to qualify for the label (just do a google search and you can find out more details about those requirements), so it meets those or exceeds them.

However, it's important to note that a few manufacturers are not supporting the label even on their TVs that in some models even outdo those with the label (either in part or in full), like Sony and Vizio, so not having the label doesn't necessarily mean that in some model comparisons the one without the label won't still be the better one, so it's still a good idea to compare the actual TVs you're thinking of.

Shin-chan

Depends on what you consider "good" and "affordable".

My friend has a cheap Samsung HDR TV around $500. Yes, it technically does HDR but it's edge-lit and the peak brightness is around 300 nits, which is shit. HDR content does not look noticeably different on it compared to others.

You're looking around $1000 for mid-range HDR TV's right now.

In my opinion, if you can wait a few months with your current TV, see what is out there on Black Friday and if you can't get anything just get the Pro. It will benefit you on your current set already. Then, next year with the improved HDR sets you'll get a better bang for your buck and the tech in this year's $1k mid-range may be like $700 next year. I think with both Sony and MS pushing HDR for gaming that the manufacturers are going to take that into account better for their 2017 models.

Yes, display manufacturers are only including it in 4k displays. Not for a technical reason, but it's easier for the display manufacturers to sell you all this new tech at once than to have "HDR", "WCG" and 4k be three new, different technologies consumers would be able to choose from. Thus, it's all a part of the "Ultra HD" label.

"Ultra HD Premium" is the seal of approval that it's a good TV and meets certain quality criteria on resolution, HDR and color reproduction. It's relatively new (from January I believe) but you'll see it more in 2017 TV models. I would _highly recommend_ only looking at TV's with that logo. If it doesn't have it, there's almost certainly some sort of catch. The only thing on top of that to look at is input lag while in HDR mode. If it has the UHD Premium logo and it has low input lag, you found a good set.
Thank you for this detailed response. The reason I may need a new TV is that I'm moving country and I'm not sure if the apartment I have will even have a TV already. Given your post, though, I think I'll just get a cheap 1080p set and then look for a better model next year once we've hopefully got some better models to play games on.

Yjynx

That TV is Sony's Bravia X9300D.

Man imagine playing those games on Sony ZD9 and PS4pro.....

Edit:
I figure out they should just demo it on ZD9 just for the lul

Melchiah

I wish the messaging were clearer on enhancements for 1080p sets.

I don't plan on jumping into 4K until OLEDs only cost an arm instead of an arm and a leg, but I'm still interested in whatever benefits Pro might provide in the meantime.

I'd like to have more information about it as well. I'm not going to buy a 4K TV until input lag goes down in HDR mode, and full-array LEDs go down in price. Based on what I've read, OLEDs seem to have the same issue as plasmas with image retention, and possible burn-in.

Very nice. I need a 4k tv with hdr. But low lag. That isn't a Samsung.

Wth Sony. Your TVs next year better be back to the low lag leaders.

Top Bottom