• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

wapplew

I don't think Sony is worry about mod will crash your PS4, more like they don't believe their security system is mod proved.

QaaQer

have you ever modded before? That's kind of part of it.

You mod, something breaks, you fix it (usually by either uninstalling or installing like you should've if you didn't read the readme), you keep modding til you get the desired outcome.

Or you stop modding because it stops being fun.

FX-GMC

kind of a big if when you are talking identity theft, no?

No mods on PS4 because you could have your identity stolen? Is this the angle you are taking?

If a Fallout 4 mod could steal personal information from a PS4, Sony has big problems. Since they were wanting Bethesda to QA the mods (and not themselves) I'd say stolen user info wasn't on their radar. That would be Sony's problem if it happened and I highly doubt they would let Bethesda QA mods if that was a concern of theirs.

Loris146

Bethesda is one of the worst company when it comes to port their game on console. Do you remember Skyrim on PS3? Even Fallout 4 was a cluster fuck on both PS4 and XB1.

Anyway about this topic in particular i hope we'll get more info ( and not PR statement if possible).

Zackat

All this shows is that Sony have got their head up their arses if they think that it's even the remotely bit possible and realistic to-do this.

Why the hell would Bethesda even consider it?

Probably because Sony doesn't want things on their system that can cause a system crash, or some other thing. I am not some technical wizard, I just play games.

And I was just here for the bish post, I don't even own fallout 4

mrg6290

Bethesda put the blame squarely on Sony when it seems like they're the ones that shot the idea down. Unreasonable request or not, that's deception.

Fair enough. If this is the issue, I still view this as Sony basically blocking it by being unreasonable.

I still wouldn't say they are lying, but you are right that if this is actually the issue Bethesda needed to be more up front and explain that. I'm sure they could easily justify their view, but by not providing more info it could be considered deceptive. "Sony won't let us!" vs "Sony will only let us if we do something that we find to be impossible and ridiculous!". There is indeed a difference.

Wereroku

If you re-read the OP and take into consideration the approved conversation, you can actually now see Bethesda hinted at this in their original statement:

Yep reading it with the new statement pretty much supports that theory. They may be able to work around the tech issues but Sony wanting QA for the mods being released is something Beth doesn't want to deal with.

Venom Fox

Banned
have you ever modded before? That's kind of part of it.

You mod, something breaks, you fix it (usually by either uninstalling or installing like you should've if you didn't read the readme), you keep modding til you get the desired outcome.
Yes. A lot when I had a gaming PC. Will also be doing so next Friday when my new one comes.
QA testing every mod is simply unreasonable. No company would do that. A mod crashing the game is a risk that comes with the territory
It's not unreasonable though. And it doesn't HAVE to be a risk. You clearly don't understand.
A shit ton of PCs crash due to user mods, what's your point? That nobody should be able to mod anywhere?

So it's a real source that basically shows Sony making unreasonable and impossible demands.
Way to take my words and mix them up. Things can go wrong and Sony simply wanted the mods on PS4 to be checked for crashes and bugs etc.

Shin

Banned
News sites are already running with this and people are doing the same thing as they are in this thread, flame, blame, end of the world and bla bla.

Would be nice to get the full story, maybe a response from Sony even.
Not that I care about either titles to be honest, still don't even have a PS4.
These types of things get out of hand really fast and people take it as face value.

Back in June when I had money for either an xb1 or a ps4, console mods were a pretty big factor in my decision. I nearly got a ps4 thinking, "it'll only be a month or so before they're supported". Jeez.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Makes sense. It has seemd like Sony is locking down their ecosystem even more now. They literally don't want to consort with PC type access at all at this point and just want to be recognized with the hardware.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Actually, it is. I was just forwarded this from a very strong source.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

It's all Bethesda's fault, but mods work fine on xb1?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, even those (approved) statements aren't like an excuse for Sony. It just means that Sony has effectively banned all mods from PlayStation, because NOBODY is going to have the capacity to vet user mods.

c0de

If you re-read the OP and take into consideration the approved conversation, you can actually now see Bethesda hinted at this in their original statement:

In layman's terms, they wanted us to do QA on all the submitted mods for approval and that's a f'n absurd demand.

Oh yes, it was always there and I don't know why this isn't stressed more. But again, it doesn't fit the narrative because Bethesda.

Loudninja

Makes sense. It has seemd like Sony is locking down their ecosystem even more now. They literally don't want to consort with PC type access at all at this point and just want to be recognized with the hardware.
Again, even those (approved) statements aren't like an excuse for Sony. It just means that Sony has effectively banned all mods from PlayStation, because NOBODY is going to have the capacity to vet user mods.

@UKLxHNTERzZ Yes, FS17 will support mods on PS4
https://twitter.com/farmingsim/status/774221813446574080

Ryzaki009

Or you stop modding because it stops being fun.

And that's okay. But if you want to mod you have to put some effort in. It's part of modding.

Yes. A lot when I had a gaming PC. Will also be doing so next Friday when my new one comes.

Then you should be well aware of the fact that some mods will make the game crash/freeze/act unpredictability and this only goes up due to people not reading the readme thus user error. That's part of modding. Especially bethesda games.

Wereroku

Farming Simulator apparently does. Clearly they are a bigger company then Bethesda.

Oh yes, it was always there and I don't know why this isn't stressed more. But again, it doesn't fit the narrative because Bethesda.

Couldn't they just QA select mods? Seems like some would be very simple to test. Or does Sony want them to test each one together as well. Since we have so little information it's kind of infuriating. I can understand Sony wanting to keep people from crashing ps4 and I can understand how unreasonable it is to expect that from Bethesda for thousands of mods.

This is ridiculous. Sony are asking for Bethesda to provide an impossible solution. There is no way to QC mods, as even if a given mod is bug free, there is no way to assure that the infinite permutations of mod combinations will be.

icespide

Banned

I don't think anyone is suggesting that this clears Sony in anyway, it just means the situation is not so black and white.

Ray Down

Banned
You can tell I'm relatively new here because I don't know what that means.

Bishtopl, one of the main mods on the site when he see a poster claiming something that coild be big or something usally poster want the person to be verified.

Bish will then send a PM to the poster asking for info, credentials what ever to prove that the stuff they said is creditable.

They most likely have a certain time to respond and when they do Bish will check to see if the info is good or not.

If good, hes says stuff checks out if not person will most likely be banned

It's not unreasonable though. And it doesn't HAVE to be a risk. You clearly don't understand.

Way to take my words and mix them up. Things can go wrong and Sony simply wanted the mods on PS4 to be checked for crashes and bugs etc.

It is unreasonable. I don't think you understand just how many and how complex elder scrolls/fallout mods are.

Bethesda would likely have to hire a whole new department just for testing ps4 user mods.

If the request is logically impossible, then it is unreasonable.

Kinyou

Imagine you have a 100 mods. So first you have to check if any of those crash the game during any ocassion. After that's done you have to check if those mods conflict with each other, which means crosschecking every single one of 100. Then you add a new mod and you have to test it again with those 100 other mods. The numbers are basically rising exponentially

(And if Sony doesn't require cross check then you'll have crashing consoles anyway)

Guymelef

Why would they do that just for Sony? This seems to be unnecessary extra work just for one platform.

Yeah, and Bethesda it's on their rights of non use extra work just for PS4 mods.

But from "Sony doesn't allow us to release mods on Fallout 4" to "Sony only allow us tested mods and we "can't" afford it" it's a world of difference.

Farming Simulator apparently does. Clearly they are a bigger company then Bethesda.

I'm very curious about how their mods are handled because I'd bet that they don't do anything near as complex as the typical mod for a Bethesda game. And I'd imagine they don't have any possible conflicts with other mods. Does it have any scripts involved in their mods? I don't know -- I'm actually curious.

But anyway, I hope you guys enjoy Farming Simulator.

Venom Fox

Banned
I don't get what's so hard to understand about Sony wanting mods to be QA checked. Simply employ a team of 10-5. Check each mod for an hour (depending on what it is) each person checks a different mod. Working 8 hours a day you can get 120+ mods done per day.

Sony just wanted a better experience. Dumb more, yes. Made me pissed off, yes. Understandable, yes.

The Bethesda defense force is strong today. Try to look at the situation whole. Mods don't have to be crashing systems. We've only accepted that they do because that's the norm.

Azriell

Feels like Sony is getting back into first place mode. I've been a huge fan of PS4 this gen, and will more than likely get a PS4P, but you sort of imagine how MS might end up being the more consumer friendly option next gen.

DavidDesu

I saw the headline and thought "must be a tech issue", but that statement by Bathesda... yikes!

What is going on with Sony I have no idea but it doesn't feel like the same company as it did during the last 3 years of the PS3.

As soon as one company trumps the other they immediately start viewing customers as cattle for them to screw for money.

One day Sony and Microsoft will realise what gets you to the top will keep you at the top. And that is listening to your consumers and offering them consumer friendly options.

To be fair I don't see the money issue here, they're going to lose sales over this...

c0de

Angle? I'm simply stating that running random code is a security risk, esp if no one is doing q&a.

It is not if the code is running in a closed environment, running in another closed environment, running in another closed environment. While the code is not random at all.

I don't get what's so hard to understand about Sony wanting mods to be QA checked. Simply employ a team of 10-5. Check each mod for an hour (depending on what it is) each person checks a different mod. Working 8 hours a day you can get 120+ mods done per day.

Sony just wanted a better experience. Dumb more, yes. Made me pissed off, yes. Understandable, yes.

The Bethesda defense force is strong today. Try to look at the situation whole. Mods don't have to be crashing systems. We've only accepted that they do because that's the norm.

Do you really think that you can check a mod in an hour and test whether it is compatible with every other mod and ensure it passes QA? :lol

Top Bottom