• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
not when it's compared to Ps4. being next to that just makes it look bad, but I thought as a product on its own, it has been doing well.

Sales its doing decently, but they are throwing tons of money away with those price cuts and deals. The division hasn't made a decent profit in a while outside of Live subscriptions

AmyS

Awesome PS4 numbers.

And even though Shu says PS5 does not exist, we can be confident than it will exist :)

Sales its doing decently, but they are throwing tons of money away with those price cuts and deals. The division hasn't made a decent profit in a while outside of Live subscriptions
indeed. when they were being really aggressive with sales last year it made me think that they care more about gaining ground/market share than they do making a profit.
Yeah, PS4 is leading by a nose.
Squidward.png

I understood that reference ;)

Piggus

not when it's compared to Ps4. being next to that just makes it look bad, but I thought as a product on its own, it has been doing well.

Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether or not the division is making any money for MS, and so far it apparently has not. That alone will determine whether or not Xbox sticks around. If things continue as-is (and there's little reason to assume they won't), I doubt we'll see another Xbox. They've 15 years to start making money. They haven't.

kyser73

Wow...what a turnaround for Sony and Playstation brand from the PS3 days. Sometimes you have to take a beating to get back to your basics and looks like Sony learned their lesson well from PS3.

No wonder MS said they would stop sharing Xbox hardware numbers.

That would be the beating where globally the PS3 outsold the 360 almost every month it was on sale and ended up level pegging for second place in the gen?

There is a world outside North America you know,

yurinka

So still continues as the biggest PlayStation launch ever, almost at Wii levels but likely without the short live Wii had, some of the best selling exclusive IPs like Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War or The Last of Us still didn't debut this gen with brand new entries and its price still was $400, Nintendo flopped hard this gen and MS had a weak start... PS4 will sell a lot during its lifetime.

Yeah. It's like PSP vs. DS. According to Wikipedia, PSP (sales include PSP 1000 (the original PSP), PSP 2000, PSP 3000, PSP Go, and PSP E1000) sold 82 million units (8th place among consoles and handhelds, third place when among only handhelds), which was a massive success. However, it paled in comparison with DS (sales include DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL) selling (according to Wikipedia) 154.01 million units (second place among consoles and handhelds, first place when among only handhelds).

joecanada

I think xbox has been selling pretty good, but it's the direction that chart is heading that is a bit concerning.... it's not really on pace to keep up with 360 is it? Generally you don't really want to lose sales over time....
but it did have a good launch so that could sustain it perhaps.

That would be the beating where globally the PS3 outsold the 360 almost every month it was on sale and ended up level pegging for second place in the gen?

There is a world outside North America you know,

I know right? The only thing Sony learned (potentially) last time around was don't be too expensive and don't use too much proprietary crap like the cell.... PS3 sold pretty good just not Wii levels. they ended on a major high note, ps plus killing it.

Game4life

Banned
I laugh at the people who were predicting in 2012 that Sony would not even make a next gen console. I know plenty in GAF who were making such stupid predictions.

The lesson to be learnt - Never doubt the most powerful brand in the home console market of all time.

Could someone post the link to thread where people said Sony is doomed? It was a thread about something like 'who will not survive this gen'.

It's quite funny to me that in the 80's/90's when Ken Kutaragi suggested Sony get into gaming, he was sort of laughed off by the leadership of Sony and only really latched on to his notion of selling video games and building their own console after Nintendo pulled their (1992?) CES shenanigans. And now, after years of perceived floundering, Sony is being revived (as that Bloomberg article states) by Kaz Hirai, who rose the ranks in that very same video game division that was initially laughed at. I think that's cool!

Alebrije

Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether or not the division is making any money for MS, and so far it apparently has not. That alone will determine whether or not Xbox sticks around. If things continue as-is (and there's little reason to assume they won't), I doubt we'll see another Xbox. They've 15 years to start making money. They haven't.

They can be around for decades since MS do not see Xbone / videogames division as a business to get proffit , is more a PR division , a pet company that no harms anyone and gives prsence to MS on an market where they was not before.

microsoft-edd-xbox-division-operating-income-457x360.jpg

microsoft-sales-revenue-july-to-september-image-1.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I dont have much to add.... amazing numbers for PS4. I knew PS4 was going to do ok but not this much.

Ok Sony, dont get complacent. You learned from last gen...dont make the same mistake as last gen with the PS5.

jjonez18

Why would it be sarcasm? I wouldn't read too much into these numbers,after all Xbox One is the working mans console with Halo the Star Wars of gaming.

it's only inevitable.

Got that far and burst out laughing. There should be a "Gaf's Greatest hits" thread just full of links to memorable quotes and threads.

JPLMD

They can be around for decades since MS do not see Xbone / videogames division as a business to get proffit , is more a PR division , a pet company that no harms anyone and gives prsence to MS on an market where they was not before.

microsoft-edd-xbox-division-operating-income-457x360.jpg

microsoft-sales-revenue-july-to-september-image-1.jpg

That's not how a business works.

Trogdor1123

Wish Sony was doing well in their mobile division as well, Xperia Z series phones are fucking amazing.

Yep, they are absolutely outstanding phones. Ive been rocking a Z1 for about 2 years now and its just bullet proof. Very good phones. Not sure why they never took off tbh.

kswiston

How wrong will my guess be, I wonder?

It'd be pretty good going to have three of the seven best selling video game consoles of all time under your belt (just like Nintendo currently does)!

Are you counting handhelds? Because even so, Sony likely has 3 of the 7 best selling game consoles of all time already. If you are just looking at home consoles, PS1-3 are all in the top 5 along with XB360 and Wii. The only handhelds that are higher than PS3 are the DS and Gameboy (if you count the Gameboy Color sales in with the OG model's sales).

Well, comparing handheld vs consoles doesn't really make that much sense.

Consoles are often household items while handhelds are user bounded - also visible on the pretty low software to hardware ratio of handheld systems.

pager99

So at the end of this fiscal year they expect to ship 17.5 mil up from 14 or so mil previous
Year, who thinks that next fiscal year could be 20 plus million shipped, It is a stellar line up next year with PlayStation vr and all
and that's all with Japan not really taking off yet

kswiston

Well, comparing handheld vs consoles doesn't really make that much sense.

Consoles are often household items while handhelds are user bounded - also visible on the pretty low software to hardware ratio of handheld systems.

I sort of wonder whether the PS3 ended up finishing above the 360. If so, Sony will likely hold 4 of the top 5 best selling home console spots by the end of the generation.

In grade 6 or 7, my friends and I laughed at the articles talking about Sony entering the console race in the coming year. Who would buy a Playstation with its weird shape buttons over a Sega or Nintendo? Now Sega's gone and we have a thread celebrating the Wii U passing the numbers of the system(s) that made Sega exit the console business.

So at the end of this fiscal year they expect to ship 17.5 mil up from 14 or so mil previous
Year, who thinks that next fiscal year could be 20 plus million shipped, It is a stellar line up next year with PlayStation vr and all
and that's all with Japan not really taking off yet

Japan will never take off. Best case scenario is probably a bit under PS3 numbers.

Portugeezer

Any idea on how many PlayStation Plus members there are?

Last year they said about half of PS4 owners are PS+ subscribers.

13.5 million consoles were sold around this time last and Sony had 7.9 million subs, so PS4 was responsible for 85% of PS+ subs.

So today, if that ratio remains the same it would mean about ~14.5 million PS4 owners are PS+ subscribers
PS+ would have about ~16.5 total subscribers across all platforms.
Although I expect there is some overlap coming to PS4; maybe a solid 15.5 - 16 million subs in the end.

All speculation based on last years figures. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-plus-reaches-7-9-million-subscribers/1100-6423306/

Top Bottom