• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

It doesn't really hold for anyone since the PS4 has more exclusives than any of its direct competitors in the console space. People just find ways to disqualify them.

It's a poorly constructed criticism because it aligns with subjective tastes. PS4 has no games I want to play. Now that's a better criticism.

StevieP

Banned
PS4 does have the support of casuals, and we have data points showing owners who didn't previously own a PS3 or 360, and instead owned a Wii. Then we have a segment that didn't own any console in the previous generation. The distinction between casual and core gamers is based solely on their engagement level. Franchises like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Fifa, tend to appeal to casuals too, which is part of why they're so successful. Casuals isn't used as a blanket term to group in different demographics and audiences in reality like it is on GAF. You have different segments that you have to appeal to in different ways.

SCE's modus operandi is to pitch the PS4 as a mass entertainment device. That isn't any different than it has been since the PS2 era. The current demographic split on the PS4 is better balanced than it was on the PS1 or the PS3 from consumer data, so we're already aware that it's positioned quite well in respect to what's been accomplished in the past. The plan isn't to focus on just core gamers or casuals at different points in the life cycle, but instead to increase engagement levels of core gamers, while continuing to court casual gamers, and convincing them to buy in to the platform. There's evidence of that already slowly happening, which is why PS4 is so successful, but the larger problem is there are many price conscious consumers who you can't really target until the price becomes further reduced. That's more of a long-term strategy however, and will take effect from 2017 onwards. Beyond that, the future of PS4 is much more secure than the PS3 simply because of inroads being made in other markets, and the more flexibility PS4 will afford at the end of the generation due to various factors.

Of course, none of this really helps with the real issue of it having no games, but what can you do? You win some, you lose some. That's life.

The ps4 has some excellent games on it. Like Knack. (In all seriousness, it wouldn't be selling as well as it is unless it had content people want to play). With that said, there is evidence in the little info we get through trackers that both Microsoft and Nintendo are selling more family-friendly software (I'm on mobile so I hope someone can dig up some examples here) and what we on gaf like to call "casual" software that appeals to those outside the young male demos. Whereas much of the data is showing that the more young-male focused franchises are excelling on the ps4 more than the other platforms. First party software support, unlike the huge breadth of software aimed at different markets on ps1/2/ds/Wii/etc, also shows a focus aimed more at the young male. There is thankfully still stuff like knack and lbp being made but... It ain't like it used to be in many respects

Verendus

Banned
The ps4 has some excellent games on it.
excellent games
Like Knack.
DqLP9mL.gif

The ps4 has some excellent games on it. Like Knack. (In all seriousness, it wouldn't be selling as well as it is unless it had content people want to play). With that said, there is evidence in the little info we get through trackers that both Microsoft and Nintendo are selling more family-friendly software (I'm on mobile so I hope someone can dig up some examples here) and what we on gaf like to call "casual" software that appeals to those outside the young male demos. Whereas much of the data is showing that the more young-male focused franchises are excelling on the ps4 more than the other platforms. First party software support, unlike the huge breadth of software aimed at different markets on ps1/2/ds/Wii/etc, also shows a focus aimed more at the young male. There is thankfully still stuff like knack and lbp being made but... It ain't like it used to be in many respects

Early on PS1 and PS2 were aim at young males the same way .
If your talking about family friendly software we have UK stats that show PS4 is doing well there .
Problem is some of the early software that you can say were family friendly during the PS1 and PS2 era don't get make anymore or now on DD .
Also of course PS4 going to sell more young male focused franchises it almost double the WW base .

StevieP

Banned
Early on PS1 and PS2 were aim at young males the same way .
If your talking about family friendly software we have UK stats that show PS4 is doing well there .
Problem is some of the early software that you can say were family friendly during the Ps1 and PS2 era don't get make anymore or now on DD .

The ps1 and 2 (especially 2) both sold to more casual and hardcore folk from the outset.

And that was my whole point btw. That stuff not really being made is why people shouldn't throw caution to the wind when declaring the ps4 will reach ps2 or even ps1 heights. Price reducing (of which the ps4 was designed well to do) is only going to dip so many people into the water without the same breadth of software on the shelves. Why do you think mobile is so popular and sought after? There is something for everyone there, even the more hardcore like us. It isn't just going to eat into handheld sales.

The ps1 and 2 (especially 2) both sold to more casual and hardcore folk from the outset.

And that was my whole point btw. That stuff not really being made is why people shouldn't throw caution to the wind when declaring the ps4 will reach ps2 or even ps1 heights. Price reducing (of which the ps4 was designed well to do) is only going to dip so many people into the water without the same breadth of software on the shelves. Why do you think mobile is so popular and sought after? There is something for everyone there, even the more hardcore like is. It isn't just going to eat into handheld sales.

What are you calling casual software that the PS1 and PS2 were selling from the out set ?
Because i am not seeing it .

StevieP

Banned
What are you calling casual software that the PS1 and PS2 were selling from the out set ?

The ps2 was the worlds most popular DVD player for a long time (and it's decent launch lineup helped for us). It was selling to casual consumers from the outset and was extremely successful in all market segments over its lifetime. It reached the sales heights it did because of it. All successful 100m+ sellers have that in common. The psx my memory isn't as hot. It did get a great pile of games starting early though. It's launch was shit if I remember correctly and then it picked up pretty quick.

Both got lots and lots and lots of software that wasn't primarily focused on young male power fantasy though. That's the actual point I'm trying to make. The scales have tipped way off in the console space now, and by necessity obviously

viHuGi

Banned
Ps4 has no games just the biggest list of AAA exclusives I have ever seen and amazing indies.

2016 will be insane for Ps4, the best console to buy.

yurinka

Funny how the PS4 is lagging behind the Wii but still ahead of the PS2. At some point in the future, the reverse will be true.
Wii only had great sales during its first years and then sinked. PS consoles traditionally last more years with decent sales. So make sure PS4 will end selling more than Wii.

In addition to that, some of the best selling IPs in PS still have to release their first brand new game in PS4: Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto, Tekken, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Ratchet, Street Fighter, etc. Most of them will debut during 2016, and there are a lot promising new AAA IPs coming this year in terms of decent sales or to be highly praised (Horizon, Dreams, TLG, No Man's Sky...), plus sequels of some maybe not great sellers but highly praised games that will debut in this gen this year (Demon's Souls III, Deus EX, etc). In addition to that, there's the small push that maybe PSVR or the arrival of PSNow to the biggest PS market (EMEA).

I bet that during mid or late 2016 we'll see PS4 selling more than Wii did at the same point of its lifetime.

The ps2 was the worlds most popular DVD player for a long time (and it's decent launch lineup helped for us). It was selling to casual consumers from the outset and was extremely successful in all market segments over its lifetime. It reached the sales heights it did because of it. All successful 100m+ sellers have that in common. The psx my memory isn't as hot. It did get a great pile of games starting early though. It's launch was shit if I remember correctly and then it picked up pretty quick.

Both got lots and lots and lots of software that wasn't primarily focused on young male power fantasy though. That's the actual point I'm trying to make. The scales have tipped way off in the console space now, and by necessity obviously

I am waiting for some eg of this family friendly software you are talking about that they were selling earlier on.
For eg you can say platformers are family friendly software that use to get sell earlier on but those have die .
And this is not only on console but i don't see any platformers doing good on mobile or PC .

mejin

I asked Abdiel about what games people are buying for PS4 and maybe It can help you too:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183465278&postcount=202

yurinka

PS4 does have the support of casuals, and we have data points showing owners who didn't previously own a PS3 or 360, and instead owned a Wii. Then we have a segment that didn't own any console in the previous generation. The distinction between casual and core gamers is based solely on their engagement level. Franchises like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and Fifa, tend to appeal to casuals too, which is part of why they're so successful. Casuals isn't used as a blanket term to group in different demographics and audiences in reality like it is on GAF. You have different segments that you have to appeal to in different ways.

SCE's modus operandi is to pitch the PS4 as a mass entertainment device. That isn't any different than it has been since the PS2 era. The current demographic split on the PS4 is better balanced than it was on the PS1 or the PS3 from consumer data, so we're already aware that it's positioned quite well in respect to what's been accomplished in the past. The plan isn't to focus on just core gamers or casuals at different points in the life cycle, but instead to increase engagement levels of core gamers, while continuing to court casual gamers, and convincing them to buy in to the platform. There's evidence of that already slowly happening, which is why PS4 is so successful, but the larger problem is there are many price conscious consumers who you can't really target until the price becomes further reduced. That's more of a long-term strategy however, and will take effect from 2017 onwards. Beyond that, the future of PS4 is much more secure than the PS3 simply because of inroads being made in other markets, and the more flexibility PS4 will afford at the end of the generation due to various factors.
applause-o.gif

Of course, none of this really helps with the real issue of it having no games, but what can you do? You win some, you lose some. That's life.

giphy.gif

Alo0oy

Banned

That's because all three consoles have different demos.

PlayStation consoles tend to be more gender neutral than other consoles. Xbox 360 continues to skew more male and Wii continue to skew more female.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2009/hottest-june-on-record-for-video-gaming.html

Wii: The best-selling of the three systems, appeals to boys age 6-11 and women age 25-34.

Xbox 360: For males, the largest percentage of usage is in the 12-17 age group, older than Wii, but younger than PS3. For females, the 25-34 age group had the highest percentage of usage.

PS3: For both males and females, the highest usage came from the 18-24 age group.

In terms of overall usage, males using the Xbox 360 are playing almost twice as many days per months as females (10.2 vs. 5.4 in December), but on the other two consoles, usage days for males and females are much closer. On average, the least used console is the Wii.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...g-system-has-its-fans-but-women-like-wii.html

That was last gen, but it applies here in a sense, the PS4 just swallowed a lot of the X360 demos because of Destiny & CoD marketing. "Casual gamers" has nothing to do with the demos, Nintendo has the children casual gamers, Xbox has the teenage casual gamers, Playstation has the young adult casual gamers, casual doesn't mean platformers or wiggle games.

yurinka

Nintendo has the children casual gamers
No, according to a NoA talk about Unity the average WiiU player is >30 years old and in a 90%+ male. So the traditional Nintendo fan that is still there since several generations ago.

Children today play mobile phone games, Minecraft and Skylanders instead.

viHuGi

Banned
Wii only had great sales during its first years and then sinked. PS consoles traditionally last more years with decent sales. So make sure PS4 will end selling more than Wii.

In addition to that, some of the best selling IPs in PS still have to release their first brand new game in PS4: Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto, Tekken, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Ratchet, Street Fighter, etc. Most of them will debut during 2016, and there are a lot promising new AAA IPs coming this year in terms of decent sales or to be highly praised (Horizon, Dreams, TLG, No Man's Sky...), plus sequels of some maybe not great sellers but highly praised games that will debut in this gen this year (Demon's Souls III, Deus EX, etc). In addition to that, there's the small push that maybe PSVR or the arrival of PSNow to the biggest PS market (EMEA).

I bet that during mid or late 2016 we'll see PS4 selling more than Wii did at the same point of its lifetime.

Damn just think about that man, GTA isn't even announced yet neither RdR or God of War...

Jesus!!!

Alo0oy

Banned
No, the average WiiU player is >30 years old. Children today play mobile phone games, Minecraft and Skylanders.

Yeah, I guess that was only true last gen, do you have demo data for the Wii U? I remember a thread a while ago that said 90% of Wii U players were male but I can't seem to find it, & I don't think we got age demo data though.

Mory Dunz

No, according to a NoA talk about Unity the average WiiU player is >30 years old and in a 90%+ male.

Children today play mobile phone games, Minecraft and Skylanders instead.

Someone's buyin Lego, Disney, Skylanders though...and I guess Just Dance.

yurinka

Yeah, I guess that was only true last gen, do you have demo data for the Wii U? I remember a thread a while ago that said 90% of Wii U players were male but I can't seem to find it, & I don't think we got age demo data though.
It was a youtube video aimed to devs about developing Unity games for WiiU released many months ago, with a guy from NoA giving the speech. I'd bet I saw it in Unity related youtube channel, maybe the oficial one if they have it.

Alo0oy

Banned
It was a youtube video aimed to devs about developing Unity games for WiiU released many months ago, with a guy from NoA giving the speech. I'd bet I saw it in Unity related youtube channel, maybe the oficial one if they have it.

Oh okay, I guess that makes sense with the Wii U only selling to the hardcore Nintendo fans.

yurinka

Oh okay, I guess that makes sense with the Wii U only selling to the hardcore Nintendo fans.

It's this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6nYz1HHPJU

At least a bit more than 1 year ago 93% of WiiU users were 18+ years old, and 93% of WiiU users were male.

Notice also that WiiU sales is too small to include a huge market like kids wouldn't fit there, and that most important WiiU games are Nintendo titles.

Someone's buyin Lego, Disney, Skylanders though...and I guess Just Dance.
Probably the 30 year old with kids that he wants to play with
The funny thing is that the Wii version of Just Dance (not WiiU, Wii) was the best selling game of 2014 in Spain (top 9 country worldwide in gaming revenue). The previous year Wii version of this game was also the best selling game in Spain several years before in a row.

Sales of Minecraft, Skylanders, mobile etc are huge so can include the kids segment of the market. WiiU installbase is too small to handle the kids segment.

I assume Just Dance demographics are young girls (at least 16 or 18 years old) that use it as party game while in a party with friends.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6nYz1HHPJU

At least a bit more than 1 year ago 93% of WiiU users were 18+ years old, and 93% of WiiU users were male.

Notice also that WiiU sales is too small to include a huge market like kids wouldn't fit there, and that most important WiiU games are Nintendo titles.

Thanks.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with the Wii U, the entire children & female demos they had with the Wii completely abandoned their platform.

Mory Dunz

Probably the 30 year old with kids that he wants to play with

So how does someone under 18 own a console anyway? For statistic purposes?

Isn't what you said basically describing having a kid audience? Or are you saying the 30 year old is getting the game solely for himself?

Alo0oy

Banned

Isn't what you said basically describing having a kid audience? Or are you saying the 30 year old is getting the game solely for himself?

I think those companies track who plays the games & not who buys them.

joecanada

I dont have much to add.... amazing numbers for PS4. I knew PS4 was going to do ok but not this much.

Ok Sony, dont get complacent. You learned from last gen...dont make the same mistake as last gen with the PS5.

the only thing they learned is don't release a 600 dollar multimedia machine. PS3 was one of the GOAT consoles, just most people didn't want to pay for it at the start. real shame.

399 ps4 was smart but I would have preferred 499 with features for sure.

yurinka

Thier parents buy for them, like always. Some of them buy for the kids a phone or tablet instead, so the kid doesn't get a console until several years later.

Mainly surveys, but in recent years it's common to use user data from digital platform accounts or OS parental content lock usage, etc.

Bastables

I've never seen that Amir0x post before. I'm still new here, so I don't know how often it goes around.

That which you posted, I have seen though. Why not just ignore him and be happy that the consoles are selling like hot cakes?
I'm not sure "give it a bash" is a particularly robust reasoning in order to bury a little long history of disassembly and disingenuous writing.

The conversation around Sony is dead and China 1% should have clued you in that they're references and "old" ones at that.

MisterR

This is the way they have always worked. You sell to the hardcore first and then broaden the audience later. Most of the casuals will get whatever is the most popular console.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is the way they have always worked. You sell to the hardcore first and then broaden the audience later. Most of the casuals will get whatever is the most popular console.
I think the tl;dr version the argument is that there is no mega expanded audience for consoles any more because in the past if you wanted gaming fun you needed a console, now you need a phone or tablet and you're served well enough.

Luke_Wal

I might be a bad example, but I was 16 when the PS4 launched (18 and in college now) and pre-ordered it/paid for it myself. That's not really unusual. While that's probably not happening in middle school or anything, once you're at the age where you have your own job, a lot of kids my age bought their own systems (particularly because it coincided with the release of the next generation). For reference, at launch, I got Black Flag, Killzone, and LEGO Marvel. I had actually pre-ordered Amazon's Watch Dogs bundle, but then that got delayed so I opted for LEGO Marvel.

While the PS4 is performing very well, I think that the PS3's lack of performance is overstated. If you look at the pure numbers, it sold decently.
If you look at it's LTD sales it sold spectacularly.

It just took a very long time to get there. I mean last gen was the first and maybe only time we had or will have a first, second, and third place console all within ten million units of each other.

But that still doesn't change what I said about PS3's early life. Those first three years were really hard on the system coming off of it's insanely popular predecessor. A complete reversal of fortunes for the PS4.

System is still ahead of the pace set by the PS2, and only a few million units shy of Wii's early sell through rate. That is very impressive.

Alo0oy

Banned
If you look at it's LTD sales it sold spectacularly.

It just took a very long time to get there. I mean last gen was the first and maybe only time we had or will have a first, second, and third place console all within ten million units of each other.

But that still doesn't change what I said about PS3's early life. Those first three years were really hard on the system coming off of it's insanely popular predecessor. A complete reversal of fortunes for the PS4.

System is still ahead of the pace set by the PS2, and only a few million units shy of Wii's early sell through rate. That is very impressive.

Its first three years were still better than 360's. PS3 "having a rough start" is a myth that continues to be repeated.

Its first three years were still better than 360's. PS3 "having a rough start" is a myth that continues to be repeated.

It also released 6 months later in its strongest territory Europe. People are sure are surprised By ps4 sales, not me, it was easy to see it was gonna be the market leader, just dont do the 599$ mistake and they have in the bag.

Very true, but coming off the success of the PS2... is there any other way to phrase it?

Because PS3 had a very rough start.

PS4 on the other hand seemingly just instant transitioned to the finish line while XBO was tying it's shoes, and WiiU tripped and broke it's legs, hips, and feet three months into the race.

Very true, but coming off the success of the PS2... is there any other way to phrase it?

PS4 on the other hand seemingly just instant transitioned to the finish line while XBO was tying it's shoes, and WiiU tripped and broke it's legs, hips, and feet three months into the race.

It was a total fuck up for sony, launching late in Europe, 599$, inferior Controller, and inferior Hardware to most people early on, cause third-party games Were much better On 360.

Shin-Ra

It also released 6 months later in its strongest territory Europe. People are sure are surprised By ps4 sales, not me, it was easy to see it was gonna be the market leader, just dont do the 599$ mistake and they have in the bag.
16 months.

pager99

Real talk

4Tran

Launch aligned, the only home consoles that have outperformed the first few years of the PS3 are the Wii, PS4, and PS2. It's not actually poor by any stretch. The reasons why the PS3 is thought of as having poor initial sales are because it was compared month-on-month to the Wii and 360, and the PS3's weakest relative territory, North America, had some of the most readily available data.

So ps3/360 selling 170 million they were targetting one market only? Your whole argument is based of anecdotal evidence, the wiiu has the best family software there is, and i remember Reading some where that 93% were male gamers over 19 that owned a wiiu, maybe family software is cod, madden, fifa. Asscreed and gtav, who really knows? cause i know a few families that play those games together, you might be surprised how big m rated games can be with kids, families. i remember when i was a kid every single kid i knew played 007. With many gamers being older and having children they probably dont care what there kids play.

QaaQer

Thanks.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with the Wii U, the entire children & female demos they had with the Wii completely abandoned their platform.

The numbers match with the eshop data we had. It's kinda staggering how extreme the wiiu skews. I'd love a break down on amiibo sales.

Top Bottom