• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

The GT rumor is interesting and makes sense given the franchise's European popularity. One way to do it would be to exclusively bundle a prologue version with Driveclub and release the full game in 2015. This would be very much a win for everybody involved. It would boost interest in Driveclub, hype the new Grand Turismo and give fans more content.

FranXico

Sony need to make their presentations more professional.

Design them as if they are being made for TV. Microsoft's E3 was a slick presentation even if you disagree about the quality of the content.

Just hire a sober cameraman and they'll be fine.

That says nothing about the scope of the titles, though. A lot of them are ports of PS3 digital only games and small F2P titles.

Pretty much.

1. Knack
2. Killzone : SF
3. Resogun
4. Doki-Doki Universe
5. inFamous : SS
6. MLB14
7. CounterSpy
8. Hohokum
9. TLoU Remastered
10. Driveclub
11. LBP3
12. Entwined
13. Singstar
14. Guns Up!
15. Helldivers
16. Playroom

And that's excluding other standalone DLC games like inFamous : FL, PS3 ports like Flower, and unconfirmed 2014 release titles like Until Dawn.

Didn't Shu state later that he wasn't including PS3 ports?

Which is still 15 games, or 17 if you include inFamous and Killzone Intercept. And there's also the delayed Order 1886, which would had put the count to 16/18 had it not been delayed.

The GT rumor is interesting and makes sense given the franchise's European popularity. One way to do it would be to exclusively bundle a prologue version with Driveclub and release the full game in 2015. This would be very much a win for everybody involved. It would boost interest in Driveclub, hype the new Grand Turismo and give fans more content.

Unlikely since Yamauchi said there won't be a prologue for GT7. While Gamescom is getting bigger, the conference is usually only 1 hour and rarely has more than 1 AAA reveal and that looks like it'll be Media Molecule's new game, this year.

I think they'll focus on showing Driveclub as their driving game, some new games from smaller studies and have a big segment with more info (and more supporting games, probably from some third parties) on Morpheus.

KoopaTheCasual

My only problem with Gravity Rush 2, is that I'm guessing a lot of PS4 owners don't own vitas, so they would feel super lost in a sequel game, unless a GR1 port was made and included (like Bayo).

However, since this is a Japanese title, maybe SCEJ are just assuming that anyone with a PS4 in Japan likely has Vita, so there won't be much of a problem on continuity.

Unlikely since Yamauchi said there won't be a prologue for GT7. While Gamescom is getting bigger, the conference is usually only 1 hour and rarely has more than 1 AAA reveal and that looks like it'll be Media Molecule's new game, this year.

I think they'll focus on showing Driveclub as their driving game, some new games from smaller studies and have a big segment with more info (and more supporting games, probably from some third parties) on Morpheus.

It was an hour and half last year.

Plus Gamescom tend to be the most well-paced Sony conference of them all anyway. It was never short on announcements even when it was only an hour in 2011/2012.

FranXico

0fc.gif

I-hate-u

But then wouldn't we need GR1 on PS4 as well? Maybe they can do a Bayonetta 2 ordeal where you get both games on disc for PS4.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Because Vita is only slightly relevant in one country in the world.

That one country is the main country this game would be appealing to. I could understand if they made it on PS4 and Vita, but if it's going to be only on one platform then it has to be Vita. Whether it's on Vita or PS4 the game is going to bomb in the west. At least if it's on Vita it has a chance of success in Japan.

Kyoufu

That one country is the main country this game would be appealing to. I could understand if they made it on PS4 and Vita, but if it's going to be only on one platform then it has to be Vita.

GR isn't a Japanese-centric game. It's actually not even close when you look at all the MH clones on Vita nowadays.

Besides, PS4 needs all the support it can get in Japan, which is why SCEJ has shifted all in-house AAA titles from Vita to PS4

Chobel

GR isn't a Japanese-centric game. It's actually not even close when you look at all the MH clones on Vita nowadays.

Besides, PS4 needs all the support it can get in Japan, which is why SCEJ has shifted all in-house AAA titles from Vita to PS4

Source?

B.O.O.M

What AAA titles have they shifted from vita to PS4?

Honestly a lot of this sounds like wishful thinking to me. I mean if the success of the platform always dictated the success of the game then games like puppeteer wouldn't have bombed on the ps3. A PS4 release also means a bigger budget for the game and hence higher expectations, especially if it's ps4 only. It's also a mistake to compare the situation of the vita when GR1 came out to the one right now in Japan. It can move a really healthy amount of software in that market (see Freedom Wars). PS4 can't yet.

SCEJ should make separate games targeted at the PS4 audience.

Seems more likely for TGS.

Plus, would that be for Vita or PS4?

Vita.

What AAA titles have they shifted from vita to PS4?

Honestly a lot of this sounds like wishful thinking to me. I mean if the success of the platform always dictated the success of the game then games like puppeteer wouldn't have bombed on the ps3. A PS4 release also means a bigger budget for the game and hence higher expectations, especially if it's ps4 only. It's also a mistake to compare the situation of the vita when GR1 came out to the one right now in Japan. It can move a really healthy amount of software in that market (see Freedom Wars). PS4 can't yet.

SCEJ should make separate games targeted at the PS4 audience.
It is wishful thinking. He has been saying the same things in many threads, especially about GR2 being a PS4 game.

B.O.O.M

It is wishful thinking. He has been saying the same things in many threads, especially about GR2 being a PS4 game.

I mean I understand that the biggest reason that this kind of thinking is enforced is thanks to the sheer what's-a-vita attitude by SCEA/E these days but SCEJ would be insane to do the same. They market the system, push bundles/new colors all the time and most of all the system gets games in that market. FW did 300k+ in a month I believe. No way in hell they abandon the system. At least I hope not.

Kyoufu

I mean I understand that the biggest reason that this kind of thinking is enforced is thanks to the sheer what's-a-vita attitude by SCEA/E these days but SCEJ would be insane to do the same. They market the system, push bundles/new colors all the time and most of all the system gets games in that market. FW did 300k+ in a month I believe. No way in hell they abandon the system. At least I hope not.

Freedom Wars and GR are completely different types of games though. Vita's best sellers are MH-like games such as God Eater 2, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice etc. GR is a singleplayer adventure game that originally began development on a console.

It´s the only Sony gaming device that is viable in Japan now that consoles are dead. They would be stupid to not make games for it.

Kyoufu

It´s the only Sony gaming device that is viable in Japan now that consoles are dead. They would be stupid to not make games for it.

1. Third parties still make Vita games.

2. Consoles are only dead in Japan because there's a lack of support. Sony has to sell PS4s so that third parties will feel comfortable making games for it too. Eventually, PS3 developers will shift to PS4.

3. PS4 is relevant in the rest of the world. If a game doesn't sell well in Japan it doesn't mean it's the end of the road elsewhere, unlike Vita.

1. Third parties still make Vita games.

2. Consoles are only dead in Japan because there's a lack of support. Sony has to sell PS4s so that third parties will feel comfortable making games for it too. Eventually, PS3 developers will shift to PS4.

3. PS4 is relevant in the rest of the world. If a game doesn't sell well in Japan it doesn't mean it's the end of the road elsewhere, unlike Vita.

Vita keeping Sony afloat in Japanese gaming market, and it´s great that they have been supporting it well.

Sony should support the Vita and not just rely on third parties, and making console games are very expensive that´s why Japanese went handheld last gen.

That´s not relevant in Japan whatsoever. PS4 is irrelevant in Japan and most third parties will not develop for it since the cost of HD development is very prohibitive to them.

B.O.O.M

Freedom Wars and GR are completely different types of games though. Vita's best sellers are MH-like games such as God Eater 2, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice etc. GR is a singleplayer adventure game that originally began development on a console.

Hunting games are what sells best in Japan..period. It's not unique to vita. But if we go down this road we are going to be adding different qualifiers and moving the goal posts. For example Persona 4 Golden, sold so damn well on vita. Even smaller RPG titles are turning profits for devs there.

And yes GR was moved to the vita because the developer understood that vita was the best platform for the games mechanics..and they are right.

Now tell me this, what Gravity Rush like game has done well on the PS4 in the west? I feel like people keep mentioning it will do so well in the west is ignoring the western gaming landscape as well. Lots of games bomb in the west. GR would be a niche title in comparison. It's a Japanese/anime style game. I love the first game but don't believe there's any concrete reasoning behind thinking it will do so well on the PS4 in the west. Better than on vita? Sure. But it would also mean a bigger budget for the game and hence higher expectations sales wise. Even more so if they put some marketing behind it (something vita games almost never get in the west)

also you haven't answered my earlier Q. What 'AAA' games have moved from vita to PS4? I don't recall hearing anything like that

Exactly.

Hopefully for PS4. It's such a great IP they'd be wasting it by keeping it exclusive to Vita.

On the contrary, I think the games mechanics work best on a portable. If you are referring to sales my answer is the same one I gave above to Kyoufu

KoopaTheCasual

Vita keeping Sony afloat in Japanese gaming market, and it´s great that they have been supporting it well.

Sony should support the Vita and not just rely on third parties, and making console games are very expensive that´s why Japanese went handheld last gen.

That´s not relevant in Japan whatsoever. PS4 is irrelevant in Japan and most third parties will not develop for it since the cost of HD development is very prohibitive to them.
Wasn't it said that development on the PS4 was significantly easier than development on the PS3?

If anything (even though I only own a PS3/360 right now, myself) I just want old gen to die in Japan, since the architecture made everything much more difficult than it needed to be.

Takao

Banned

Can you move what never existed? We're 2+ years into the platform, and Gravity Rush is the sole game they've put out. Everything else has been an external project. Based on a lot of the reports coming from Japan, their "major" external Vita projects are of questionable quality as well.

Wasn't it said that development on the PS4 was significantly easier than development on the PS3?

If anything (even though I only own a PS3/360 right now, myself) I just want old gen to die in Japan, since the architecture made everything much more difficult than it needed to be.

It´s very easy developing for the Vita as well. And developing for the PS4 still require

1- More developers per title
2- Longer developing time
3- Competing with the very experienced western developers for the HD market.

All of those cost significantly more money than making a handheld/smart device game.

The third one is very challenging since a lot of Japanese devs teams who make handheld games are small and need to compete with much bigger studios in the west who have been developing HD titles for 7 years.

Can you move what never existed? We're 2+ years into the platform, and Gravity Rush is the sole game they've put out. Everything else has been an external project. Based on a lot of the reports coming from Japan, their "major" external Vita projects are of questionable quality as well.
Oreshika? HSG?

Squire

Banned
It´s very easy developing for the Vita as well. And developing for the PS4 still require

1- More developers per title
2- Longer developing time
3- Competing with the very experienced western developers for the HD market.

All of those cost significantly more money than making a handheld/smart device game.

The third one is very challenging since a lot of Japanese devs teams who make handheld games are small and need to compete with much bigger studios in the west who have been developing HD titles for 7 years.

Your post makes it sound like every game on PS4 is a AAA title. There are plenty of games on PS4 made by small teams on 20-30 people. Ironically, a lot of them are also on Vita. And PC. And Xbox.

Making something on PS4 does not at all mean you need a bigger team, more time, or more money. The game you make and how fully you intend to realize the vision of that game determines those things.

Bloodrage

Banned
On the contrary, I think the games mechanics work best on a portable. If you are referring to sales my answer is the same one I gave above to Kyoufu
Can't agree with that at all.

As far as sales go, I hope you realize (which you don't, I guess?) that most people would rather have the game on PS4 than on Vita at this point. Sure there will be the very few that want to justify their Vita purchase but for the sake for the IP, they have no other option. Even Sony have acknowledged the Vita as unsuccessful. Why haven't you?

Kyoufu

Your post makes it sound like every game on PS4 is a AAA title. There are plenty of games on PS4 made by small teams on 20-30 people. Ironically, a lot of them are also on Vita. And PC. And Xbox.

Making something on PS4 does not at all mean you need a bigger team, more time, or more money. The game you make and how fully you intend to realize the vision of that game determines those things.

Yeah, just look at Tales games on PS3. They're not exactly lookers or technical marvels, but they do enough to appeal to the fanbase. Eventually Tales will be on PS4 and it won't look like The Witcher 3 and it doesn't have to.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, just look at Tales games on PS3. They're not exactly lookers or technical marvels, but they do enough to appeal to the fanbase. Eventually Tales will be on PS4 and it won't look like The Witcher 3 and it doesn't have to.

Yeah, the examples are countless. The platform is irrelevant. Vision and budget determine everything.

Top Bottom