• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I went through 6 Xbox 360's. RRoD on each of them.

I will never understand how people could keep buying a system after this kind of experience

I had a couple of red rings (my first 360 RROD after 2 weeks) and only used it for exclusives after that

What are your guesses on how many units are sold the day the White Destiny bundle launches and Destiny itself releases on 9/9?

I'm guessing 300K units sold WW on 9/9. With word of mouth and the mega-hype continuing strong sales for the rest of the month.

September could be a 400K month in the US and like 600-700K WW type month.

genbatzu

Isn't it 3?

Killzone Shadow Fall
Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered

[...]

isn't Knack also one of them? I'm pretty sure they sold more than 500 or 600k, as an official number, and it was packed in with every PS4 in japan, which sold 400-500k. So technically, Knack sold 1m

I had it good since the SNES...

Until the Xbox 360, where I bought two after one fucked up with E74 error (before warranty covered it, I opened the box, got a few more months out of it... few months later they also gave E74 3 years warranty, I was pissed). My current one also decided to not update so I can't play newer games that require the 2012 fall and beyond update.

Although my PS2 had some disc reading errors towards the end of it's life, but it still worked now and then.

But since the 360 fuck up, I am paranoid about new consoles, but luckily it seems PS4 and XB1 are fairly stable (so far anyway).

Yeah. It was only in PS3 and X360 gen that I began to experience hardware failures. X360, the obvious RROD, and PS3 increasingly growing louder till the blu-ray failure. Hopefully, with the new consoles not having the PC level power consumption and discs being slowly fazed out, failure rate won't be as much of a problem.

sörine;125343116 said:
There are 18 million sellers on 3DS. You missed Fire Emblem Awakening, as has everyone updating wikipedia. It's likely already 19 now with Kirby too but we haven't gotten that one confirmed yet.

I did forget TLOU though, so 3 on PS4.

TLOU
Infamous
Killzone
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Knack ( could be pretty close if not at 1m yet already )
Watch Dogs
Fifa
Madden

Those I'm pretty certain have sold 1m or more on the PS4. NBA2K likely sold over 1m as well. Destiny will. DriveClub will most likely sell over 1m.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Lock in effect. This is also a partly explanation as to why Microsoft thought they could get away with their original Xbone plan.

I get that but SIX 360's, if I had to buy/replace any piece of electronics 5 times it would inconceivable for me to do it a 6th time (or a 4th or 5th). I'm sure there are plenty on GAF with a similar story as well

TLOU
Infamous
Killzone
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Watch Dogs
Fifa
Madden

Those I'm pretty certain have sold 1m or more on the PS4. NBA2K likely sold over 1m as well. Destiny will. DriveClub will most likely sell over 1m.

Assasins creed
NFS
MGS GZ may get there as well.

Pretty much every notable third party title and all their first party titles for now.

Diablos

Sony really learned from last gen. They came out of the gate swinging with a reasonable price and an incredibly strong marketing/messaging platform. It's paying off.

Still content with remaining PC+PS3 for now

Raist

Banned
Wait a second... if Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 essentially took the same amount of time to reach 10M, why was PS3 considered to be a failure in 2007/2008?

Because they weren't launch aligned and people not paying much attention didn't realize that the PS3 was actually selling just as well as the 360. It's just that when it released, the 360 was at a stage where sales are basically picking up speed, so the PS3 in comparison looked worse.
I mean it's not rocket science, despite the 360's huge head start the PS3 caught up in terms of LTD figures. So the PS3 can't have been doing that terrible, could it?

AmFreak

Then the quote is flat out stupid. The first to ten million in the US means diddly dick when you're getting stomped everywhere else in the world.

It even gets better.
The statement is from a press release from the 14th of May 2008.
They reached that point by the April NPD data.
Look what happened around that time (one month later):

Npd_total_hardware_sales.png

gtj1092

The last page is kind of testament to how early gen narratives stick. Ps3 has no games and 360 sells the most games. As far as I've seen Wii was the software sales leader last gen and a gaffer showed using shipment reports that Ps3 had surpassed even the Wii in software sales for the generation. I've always said MS sure does get a lot of credit for software sales for never actually disclosing them.

Also attach rate matters to a certain extent but overall software sales are more important to game sellers.

sörine;125343116 said:
There are 18 million sellers on 3DS. You missed Fire Emblem Awakening, as has everyone updating wikipedia. It's likely already 19 now with Kirby too but we haven't gotten that one confirmed yet.

I did forget TLOU though, so 3 on PS4.

I didn't see Fire Emblem on any of Nintendo's FY (2011, 2012, 2013) supplementary releases. I just took that list, and removed duplicates lol. I mean, it released in both Japan and NA in the same fiscal quarter (Apr 2012~Mar 2013), and they show all titles that sold >1M globally on that list. So if it did pass a million, it certainly didn't do so in the FY it was released.

Here is the FY2012 (Apr 2012~Mar 2013) supplementary release information.

I'm sure PS4 already passed 10 games that sol more than 1 million.

Has SCE even released 10 retail titles by now?

I'm fairy certain most platform holders try their hardest to hold out until they can do a $100 price drop as it's far more incentivizing than a $50 cut both psychologically and marketing-wise.
Yeah, I thought about that. A $100 cut certainly has a much greater effect on the consumer than a pair of $50 cuts would, and if you're ever gonna do a $100 drop, it's easier to do it when you're at $400 than $350.

My main concern was their costs. With the way they've been talking about hardware profitability, I figure they can likely afford to cut $50 "at any time." I was less sure they'd be able to cut a full $100 off their costs in time for UC4 though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did actually see a $100 price cut on the PS4 next year, not because they need it to maintain momentum but because they want to increase momentum . Also PS4 appears to be far easier to cut costs on than previous consoles and with PS+ being more adopted I could definitely see a higher desire for increased install base winning out against a higher profit margin on each console

Just my thoughts of course
Also good points. Even if they can only cut costs by $80 next fall, a $100 price cut would be a huge boost for them, and between games and PS+, they could likely recover any losses fairly quickly. On the other hand, I'm not sure they're in a strong enough financial position that any gamble seems wise, even a "sure thing." On the gripping hand, that's still over a year away, and they're likely to be in an even better financial position by then.

I was thinking it'd be nice if they could time a $100 cut with the Morpheus launch. Then you could get a PS4 for $399 $299, or for $449 with Morpheus. That would be kinda huge, methinks.

Bandobacon

Neo Member
What are your guesses on how many units are sold the day the White Destiny bundle launches and Destiny itself releases on 9/9?

I'm guessing 300K units sold WW on 9/9. With word of mouth and the mega-hype continuing strong sales for the rest of the month.

September could be a 400K month in the US and like 600-700K WW type month.

Man IDK. I have been watching some charts on it (amazon at least) and it has been top 30 in the US since it has been announced at E3. That is a lot of consoles being moved, depending on how amazon is tracking those. I am kinda thinking that maybe there will be up to 250K sold in the US alone due to 4 months of preorders.

Bundy

Banned
Isn't it 3?

Killzone Shadow Fall
Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered

Also on the home console side, Nintendo only has seven so far:
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Wii Party U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8

Also so far for 3DS (not sure how it is relevant to the discussion since this is a home console sales topic, but since it was mentioned before I'll just bring it up), there are 17 million-sellers:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Kart 7
Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario Tennis Open
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendogs + cats
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Pokémon X/Pokémon Y
SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Tomodachi Life

All of this information is directly from Nintendo FY reports.
More like 4 with MLB - The Show

cakely

I will never understand how people could keep buying a system after this kind of experience

I had a couple of red rings (my first 360 RROD after 2 weeks) and only used it for exclusives after that

I'm on my fifth Xbox 360.

Two were under warrantee, so that was an easy choice. The other three ... well, the accessories (hard drive, controllers, steering wheel, guitar controllers, drum set, etc) cost more than the actual console, so I had quite a bit of sunk cost.

I bought a 120gb Xbox 360 drive early on, and that's been failure-free. The last three Xbox 360s I bought were "arcade" editions that I could just install the 120gb HD into. My current Xbox 360 is the most recent slim edition, and that required me to buy an enclosure for the HD, but that wasn't difficult.

I can't say I'm happy about it, but the generation was long enough that I don't feel completely ripped-off.

I didn't see Fire Emblem on any of Nintendo's FY (2011, 2012, 2013) supplementary releases. I just took that list, and removed duplicates lol. I mean, it released in both Japan and NA in the same fiscal quarter (Apr 2012~Mar 2013), and they show all titles that sold >1M globally on that list. So if it did pass a million, it certainly didn't do so in the FY it was released.

Has SCE even released 10 retail titles by now?

Where did he say SCE?

It definitely has over 10 million sellers and its only been out for 9 months.

Why are we even counting this?

So how long before we get some numbers from MS? Shipped, at least?

Not for a while, it worked in the beginning, the gap was small, then they reported shipping which will show higher numbers than actual sold, they created the illusion that they could keep up with PS4, now the sales have slowed and they can't overship to retailers. In the meantime the gap was widening. I think we may get an update after Halo launches and/or if Sony didn't update their numbers.

At what number of consoles sold for PS2, GC, and OG Xbox did Sony declare the console war over? It was in some presentation slide from Sony.

sörine

Banned
TLOU
Infamous
Killzone
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Watch Dogs
Fifa
Madden

1st party.

It didn't do it within the FY but it was confirmed none the less. 1.16m to be exact.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740203&page=15

Where did he say SCE?

It definitely has over 10 million sellers and its only been out for 9 months.

Why are we even counting this?
I said 1st party repeatedly. No 3rd party Nintendo titles were listed either.

But why are we doing this lol

So in 9 months the first party games SCE has released:

Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Infamous SS
MLB show 14
TLoU Remastered

I'm pretty sure at least 4 of those are million + sellers. MLB show PS4 is the only one in question.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What's really important and I wonder why Sony hasn't included it in the PR that despite being the less popular console they have more first party million sellers than Ouya.

sörine

Banned
But why are we doing this lol

So in 9 months the first party games SCE has released:

Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Infamous SS
MLB show 14
TLoU Remastered

I'm pretty sure at least 4 of those are million + sellers. MLB show PS4 is the only one in question.
Someone else was listing 1st party million sellers, I don't know why? I just corrected the counts and was corrected myself. So far confirmed it's:

3DS: 18
Wii U: 7
PS4: 3
XB1: 1
Vita: 0

StormKing

sörine;125396321 said:
Someone else was listing 1st party million sellers, I don't know why? I just corrected the counts and was corrected myself. So far confirmed it's:

3DS: 18
Wii U: 7
PS4: 3
XB1: 1
Vita: 0

It was a comparison between Nintendo first party and Sony first party in terms of sales. I counted PS3 + PSP numbers vs 3DS + Wii U numbers and made the observation that Nintendo already had more million selling first party games than Sony did last generation. I used Wikipedia, so I'm not sure if my numbers are fully accurate.

My conclusion is that regardless of whichever company's first party output you prefer more, in terms of sales, Nintendo has the stronger first party.

PS3 used to ship around 6.5 million on holiday quarters alone sooooo PS4 is going to sell a lot more than 14 million by the years end. Shipped numbers will be probably over 20 million after this year and maybe even sold trough numbers considering insane holiday lineup.

Is 10 million for the next 5 months really possible?
I know I'm getting one this Christmas.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Using Wii sales as the benchmark in comparison threads doesn't seem especially meaningful when you consider the target demographic and ephemeral popularity of that console.

The big difference is PS4 is selling to gamers that are dedicated to the hobby. They're the customers you want to buy your gaming system, as opposed to Wii's customers that only wanted to see what the fuss was all about before tossing it in the closet with their Cabbage Patch Dolls and Thigh Masters.

The big difference is PS4 is selling to gamers that are dedicated to the hobby. They're the customers you want to buy your gaming system, as opposed to Wii's customers that only wanted to see what the fuss was all about before tossing it in the closet with their Cabbage Patch Dolls and Thigh Masters.

They're also a very large and lucrative market. Which is why every one of them wants to catch them. Much more so than we are.

They're also a very large and lucrative market. Which is why every one of them wants to catch them. Much more so than we are.

What's the point though if they just bought a Wii and played Wii sports and maybe one other game and then basically moved on. They were not permanent customers, they were just fad buyers.

So how long before we get some numbers from MS? Shipped, at least?

We'll get the same combined shipped numbers in all their quarterlies. For useful information though, I have no idea. It looks like they're playing the PS3 strategy right now so will keep the useful numbers close to their chest :\

Yeah, I thought about that. A $100 cut certainly has a much greater effect on the consumer than a pair of $50 cuts would, and if you're ever gonna do a $100 drop, it's easier to do it when you're at $400 than $350.

My main concern was their costs. With the way they've been talking about hardware profitability, I figure they can likely afford to cut $50 "at any time." I was less sure they'd be able to cut a full $100 off their costs in time for UC4 though.

I will admit I don't know too much about mass distribution line cost cuts and their timetable but I can only envision the GDDR5 becoming cheaper and cheaper as PS4 manufacturing ramps up and GDDR5 video cards are ever more popular.

If they could shrink the die I'm sure a $100 pricecut would be easy but that is probably like 2017 I would think

Also good points. Even if they can only cut costs by $80 next fall, a $100 price cut would be a huge boost for them, and between games and PS+, they could likely recover any losses fairly quickly. On the other hand, I'm not sure they're in a strong enough financial position that any gamble seems wise, even a "sure thing." On the gripping hand, that's still over a year away, and they're likely to be in an even better financial position by then.

Hmm before the Feb reveal I would probably had said that Sony was going to be as conservative as possible with the PS4 design to ensure profitability in any circumstance and while they did make very conservative design choices in a lot of ways, they really surprised me with the 8GB GDDR5 decision as I imagine it was something of a gamble.

So I'm optimistic Sony is giving the Games division a little rope to play with

I was thinking it'd be nice if they could time a $100 cut with the Morpheus launch. Then you could get a PS4 for $399 $299, or for $449 with Morpheus. That would be kinda huge, methinks.

That is actually a great point I hadn't thought about. By lowering the price of the PS4, you can position Morpheus better. And considering the general niche that VR gaming sits in at present, trying to open it up to the mainstream will require all the positioning one can muster

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I disagree. These are the same people Apple is frustrated with for not wanting to pay for apps. They are unreliable, and not interested in spending money. I don't believe you can really capture them as they float from popular thing to popular thing.

What's the point though if they just bought a Wii and played Wii sports and maybe one other game and then basically moved on. They were not permanent customers, they were just fad buyers.

That market you are dismissive of is much larger than we, also a very lucrative market. Which is why every one of them wants to catch them. Much more so than we are. We have an importance. Without the dedicated interested gamer Wii's wouldn't have had the "running of the nerds" as it was coined to spur interest at large. Coupled with their terrific marketing at the time and you get a phenom. We are part of the reason that PS4 has had as much goodwill as it has. And why One had so much negative leading up to release.

But they are much larger and they still buy plenty of software. And unlucky for dedicated gaming systems they seemed to have moved on. They've always been there to a degree though. NES was bought by much more than just kids and teens. Same for Game Boy, PS1 & 2, and Wii. Each market leader had more than just the dedicated gamer. Each system did. A chunk of PS3 owners, 360 owners bought like a game or two and then forgot about it. Or just played those games.

210 million systems were sold in the PS2.GCN Xbox DC generation. Only another 65 million were added in the Wii/PS3/360 generation. WiiU alone is going to drop that by 85 million units. Unless PS4 or One make up that difference you're already eating into the PS2 gens total. Long before Wii came in and was deemed a fad.

This is why arguing that those gamers are an easy loss is folly. A chunk of the Wii market was likely there the gen before and why the complete cratering of that market, along with the insane woes of the handheld sector should at the minimum give the dedicated pause. It's not just the "fad" Wii market that's disappearing.

Jomjom

Banned
I was thinking $399

Previous to PS Now I would have said no way it's that high. After PS Now pricing was revealed, I think it's going to be $599. They are going to price it proportional to their R&D costs and I bet R&D for Morpheus was pretty damn high.

Top Bottom