• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony lists E3 games, explains God of War changes due to Europe

European and I love gameplay focused character action titles. I don't mind a focus on narrative in the new GoW as long as it still has a good combat system.

Blobbers

I hope by open world they mean something like Dark Souls 1, with huge interconnected areas. Even previous god of war games have had that metroidish feel where you're constantly finding yourself back at previously visited areas.
Just please don't be a pure open world game.

Spider Man and Days Gone

giphy.gif

God of War changes sound good to me

Yes i'm european

Thank you for making sure the first response was a good one. I hope you win a lot of money and get fame.

Wait, what? I thought God of War was officially confirmed not to be open world. Oh please don't say it's open world, that would put a serious dent in my hype for it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I wonder how much this costs?

Yeah, I wonder how strongly those companies compete by throwing money at Sony to market games with their platform holder resources. ;)

What's with people saying it's not open world while the Sony guy says it is?
Not only it is openworld, Corey confirmed that users can throw the axe at the beginning of the game and finish the game without ever recalling it back. :D

Now that's attention to details [and hardcore optimizing].

When talking about optimizing, he also said that game also has no camera cuts. Entire game is a "single shot".

silva1991

Yea, this is one of my thoughts about the interview too. Ever since the reveal I've wondered why the core combat changed so much, now I have my answer.

I'm also really excited that Death Stranding is using Horizon's engine. First of all, so Kojima doesn't have to develop a new one like he did with Fox Engine. Also, it's going to look amazing for sure.

And to think some people were convinced last year that they changed the formula, because the series has gotten stale or something lol.

NOPE, it has nothing to do what that at all and the proof is right here.

diobrando74

Neo Member
I'm european and I like original God of War AND narrative-driven games. I mean, don't blame me.

(And yes, fuck Singstar.)

This is looking like a fairly predictable conference at the moment.

Regarding GOW, I think the writer may have misspoken. I doubt it's open world in any way that matters.

Agreed, I think he confused open world, with an expansive and interconnected setting, like Uncharted. This game is obviously going to have a focus on more nuanced narrative, which should be a good thing. Kratos as two dimensional psychopath rans his course with Ascension.

LAA

Hmm little concerned about this.
I am still interested in it, But I fear it's moving away from what god of war actually is.
If the brutality of it is removed, not sure I'll consider it a god of war really...

Also news to me god of war has historically done bad in europe and hack and slash isn't popular.. .

Also find it almost...insulting really, like he considers Europe is a hive mind and all have the same thoughts and mindsets. Know it's not him alone and companies research into this thing too to adjust decisions and etc., But still sad.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So now I'm back to worrying about the new GOW again. I keep trying to give Sony the benefit of the doubt but every new piece of info concerns me. Seems like they are completely​ leaving the old franchise behind. I liked the hack in slash power fantasy and that genre of games seems like it's​ totally dead now.
The games always had a decent story imo but the way it's worded in the press release makes it sound like they're toning​ down the action and taking away control from the player.

I was hyped out of my gourd during that God of War reveal, but the further away from it we get, I feel like I'm just going to miss the chaotic, brutal ballet of a casual spectacle fighter, get a sense of Sony mandated me-too homogeny from the go-to Last of Us camera angle and AI partner... and I can't shake a kind of resentful feeling that this pivot in tone and design is less in service of people who loved the original games, but more in service of influential media people who absolutely hated Kratos and think storytelling has to be about relationships, witty banter and internal monologues in order to mean anything to anyone.

There's no way it won't still be amazing for what it is, probably downright flabbergasting, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's going to feel like a game that resents it's own past as a series.

Ash735

Sony will also be pushing its partnerships,... Red Dead partnership with Take-Two
The last time they had a partnership with Take-Two is when we got a trailer for Grand Theft Auto V remaster at E3.

Nauren

My Scandinavian, Western European and Irish ancestry must be strong in my American body because I'm right there with them. Give me strong narratives any day.

Not surprised about the hack and slash genre. I've seen too many let's plays with people pressing the same button or combo for 8-10 hours...

The last time they had a partnership with Take-Two is when we got a trailer for Grand Theft Auto V remaster at E3.

That's not true. They had a partnership with them before the remaster. They showed up to show off a Ps3 bundle, while releasing screenshots on the side.

Though I do think they'll show up in a big way. If they want to turn RDR into GTA V, they'll need to do some leg work.

Excited for Days Gone, Spiderman and God of War. Also want to see more CoD WWII and Battlefront 2 footage. That plus all the surprises makes for a nice conference imo.

jjonez18

You Europeans and your "football" and story driven narratives.

As an American, I just wanna gut a minataur with his own halberd.

100% serious note, I preferred the hack n slash. This European version looks cool too. Dem Cinematic camera angles.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member

They better be at E3 showing something new if they wanna push this game, smart decision if they do show something and it's not just to announce a bundle for next Spring. Which tbh wouldn't make much sense.

LifEndz

Spiderman, RDR 2 and GOW by themselves would've been amazing for me. Sony seems set to have yet another stellar E3 conference.

Lol I'm european and I loved GOW 2&3. I feel like marketing for those games werent so big here though. But yeah i dont know many other people that play GOW.
I dont think hack n slash was the problem. People here are just less dudebro-ey and didnt care for the fountains of blood and using ripped faces as lanterns

AAK

Strange how God of War, Spiderman, and Days Gone are all getting such spotlights despite being revealed way after Detroit and Dreams.

Ma. That first party lineup seems like a list of really well made games that I have no interest in playing. :(

Strange how God of War, Spiderman, and Days Gone are all getting such spotlights despite being revealed way after Detroit and Dreams.

How is it strange? Any of the three will sell more in the first month than Detroit or Dreams will in their lifetimes

crash-14

To me, makes no sense to say Hack n Slash don't do well on Europe when Bayonetta was the most requiered character on Smash from Europe...

Maybe it's the way God of War did Hack n Slash what made underperform the game...

Top Bottom