• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Only thing I want is R1 and R2 to be easier to use at the same time. And L1/L2 of course.
I want it to be easier to use middlefigner for R2/L2 instead of the index finger.

I don't see how it's difficult right now? That's the way I've held Sony controllers ever since I got my PS1.

Melchiah

It's perfect the way it is.

+1

Excluding the L2/R2 triggers. Symmetrically placed analogue sticks FTW! The D-pad is also far better than that in the Xbox pad. Not to mention, the DualShock's flat action buttons, which don't hurt your thumb during long playing sessions. And unlike in the Xbox pad, you can actually press all the shoulder buttons coveniently at the same time.

EDIT:
Only thing I want is R1 and R2 to be easier to use at the same time. And L1/L2 of course.
I want it to be easier to use middlefigner for R2/L2 instead of the index finger.
I don't see how it's difficult right now? That's the way I've held Sony controllers ever since I got my PS1.

Yeah, I can't see how's that supposed to be difficult. I play ME3 all the time with index fingers on L1/R1, and middle fingers on L2/R2, and use them simultaneously without any problems.

Paertan

Used to do that when I was younger. Don't know if my hands have gotten to large. I'm not saying it is impossible but it could be a little more comfortable. Doesn't feel like I have a good grip of the controller when I hold it like that anymore.

Hero

Dual shock is not perfect. Analog stick needs to be in the default position and the triggers need to not suck ass.

Melchiah

Dual shock is not perfect. Analog stick needs to be in the default position and the triggers need to not suck ass.

It is in the default position. Shouldn't the 360's right analogue stick be where the action buttons are by that logic? After all, you use it far more in the shooters, than the buttons.

How about something like this?

covi5.jpg
Where did this come from? Not that it matters since it's the same thing again with a different look, but was it based on anything, or just a fan redesign. Just curious is all.

I think it's fine just the way it is. I'm used to it and it fits right into my hands. No problems or whatever like a lot of people are saying they have in this thread.

Different strokes for different folk etc.

plufim

The sitcks and shoulder buttons need to be fixed. Concave sticks should be a fucking given, switching to convex made no goddam sense. And jesus, those triggers. Triggers should turn outwards so I have something to hook my fingers onto, dammit!

edit: interesting that most people who say "no" say so because "that's what I've been used to for so long", but the changes almost EVERYONE wants who say "yes" is to revert back to how they were for PS2.

GUESS WHAT GUYS, ALMOST ALL OF US AGREE AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IT.

Melchiah

The sitcks and shoulder buttons need to be fixed. Concave sticks should be a fucking given, switching to convex made no goddam sense. And jesus, those triggers. Triggers should turn outwards so I have something to hook my fingers onto, dammit!

edit: interesting that most people who say "no" say so because "that's what I've been used to for so long", but the changes almost EVERYONE wants who say "yes" is to revert back to how they were for PS2.

GUESS WHAT GUYS, ALMOST ALL OF US AGREE AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IT.

The sticks were convex on the PS2. The concave sticks on the 360 pad made my thumbs sore during longer playing sessions.

It seems to me, that it's the people who are used to the 360 controller, who want the DualShock to be changed.

MYE

How about something like this?

covi5.jpg

Tried something diferent. Looks wierd

wKP1g.jpg

Where did this come from? Not that it matters since it's the same thing again with a different look, but was it based on anything, or just a fan redesign. Just curious is all.

I made it.
Yeah same thing basically. But that's because I have little faith in them changing the Dual Shock design at all :p

No it isn't, and I get sick of seeing people say this. The Dualshock design is 15 years old, it's archaic and should have been retired at the end of the PS2 era. You may not have any issues with it, but every single part of the controller has long since been surpassed - if Sony actually had pressure to pull their finger out and create something new we could well end up with the best controller on the market. Even Nintendo has taken the hint that their designs don't cut it any more.

1: The ergonomics are woeful in comparison to the 360 and Gamecube controllers.

2: Analog sticks are the primary control method nowadays and should be treated as such.

3: The "triggers" are absolutely horrible - they go from having no resistance to being far too stiff and the shape means your fingers will slip off at times.

4: The segmented D-Pad is imprecise and rubbish at diagonals, it sucked compared to the Saturn D-Pad back in 1997 and it still sucks now. Even Sony themselves have done better with the Vita's D-Pad.

5: Sixaxis is an unnecessary expense, the price for the controller has doubled since the PS2 era and unwanted tilt sensors are not helping.

6: The grips on the analog sticks are inadequate and have a strange flaw where a clear liquid starts oozing out of them if left unused for a while - either more grip (ala the GC controller) or a concave design (ala the new 360 controller) would be better.

plufim

fff.. dammit, you're right. I don't know what I was remembering as being concave.

Ideally they could copy the gamecube analogue stick - not the octagonal gate, but the concentric circle grips on the top. They make the stick grip to your thumb like no-ones business.

waypoetic

Banned
Used to do that when I was younger. Don't know if my hands have gotten to large. I'm not saying it is impossible but it could be a little more comfortable. Doesn't feel like I have a good grip of the controller when I hold it like that anymore.

Too much PC-gaming kompis, that's why.

Melchiah

fff.. dammit, you're right. I don't know what I was remembering as being concave.

Ideally they could copy the gamecube analogue stick - not the octagonal gate, but the concentric circle grips on the top. They make the stick grip to your thumb like no-ones business.

I've personally had no problems with losing the grip on DualShock analogue sticks, I guess it's up to what people are used to.

The L2/R2 triggers need to be changed, but I hope they stay on the same level as the L1/R1 buttons, so you can use them simultaneously.

OTIX

My hands are bigger than the average adult and I have no problem using it. If you don't like the controller or find it uncomfortable that's cool but I wish people stop using the tired, "not for adult-sized hands" excuse against DS3.

But the size really is the biggest problem. Well, except for the obviously terrible triggers. The 360 controller fits naturally into your hands, your entire palms are in contact with the controller and it's very comfortable. Unless you have small (asian) hands you cannot hold the DS in the same way, you have to hold the sides of the controller against the inside of the knuckles with no real palm contact at all. It works but it's not ideal and I don't believe it's how the controller was designed to be held. I think it really was designed for small japanese hands.

Having both sticks in the top positions would be amazing for fps games but sadly that would put the buttons in a terrible position for other games. What we really need is better third party controllers so everyone can be happy.

Tried something diferent. Looks wierd

wKP1g.jpg

I made it.
Yeah same thing basically. But that's because I have little faith in them changing the Dual Shock design at all :p
Nice work bro. I would honestly like see what you could come up with, as I like your work :^) I bet your portable designs would be awesome.

Shape is wrong, size is wrong, analogs are wrong, triggers, oh boy, they are so wrong. Even the d-pad with the stupid idea of separate directions is wrong... I still remember the blisters from playing SF Alpha on the PS1.

The perfect controller would be the Xbox 360 one with the Saturn d-pad and without its "backpack".

So no new functionality at all? Put a dent in the analog sticks, tighten the triggers, lengthen the handles and that's it? Just same thing, pump more horse power into the box PC style, and leave it at that?

Jesus Christ stop mutilating the PS controller or at least put those behind a NSFW link

I sometimes use PS1 original analog stick while playing on PC (right now I am using Dual Shock 1)

Tevious

Here is a concept I made a while ago on how they could incorporate the Move:
PSDualOrbis.jpg

If anyone has 2 Move Navigation Controllers, hold them in your hands to get an idea of how it would feel. Its basically the Dualshock controller split in half so you can rest your arms however you like. And it has Move capabilities built in so people don't need to buy an extra controller for games to utilize motion controls in games.

I also designed it with the Move part as an attachment. As I suspect a lot of people would rather not have the white ball on their controller when they are not playing games with motion controls.
PS4DualStick.jpg

And I see no reason why they shouldn't allow the DUALSHOCK 3 to continue to work on the PS4 for anyone that wants to use it as the "Classic Controller".

Toppot

*Nicely made 'Move' controller concepts*

Those are really quite impractical without changing the shape of the controller. There is a reason why the Move controller had the face buttons next to the Move button. Bending your thumb down bellow the analogue sticks on your concepts would be uncomfortable. Swapping the sticks and the buttons then moving the sticks towards the center of your holding position, so it looks more like a traditional controller, would ergonomically make more sense. You could even tilt the analogues round the controller a bit, they wouldn't need to be flush with the top surface.

Tevious

Those are really quite impractical without changing the shape of the controller. There is a reason why the Move controller had the face buttons next to the Move button. Bending your thumb down bellow the analogue sticks on your concepts would be uncomfortable. Swapping the sticks and the buttons then moving the sticks towards the center of your holding position, so it looks more like a traditional controller, would ergonomically make more sense. You could even tilt the analogues round the controller a bit, they wouldn't need to be flush with the top surface.

I was actually thinking the same thing after just posting this, that perhaps the analog sticks should stick out on the inner sides rather than on top. The concept I did would be doable, but people's thumbs would probably get tired from bending after a while. Next time I feel like editing my mockup, I will look into moving the sticks.

Ovid

The DualShock is fine. Just don't cheap out and give us the monstrosity that was the Sixaxis. Ugh...I went through 2 of those things with the original PS3 SKU. Being thin and lightweight made them extremely fragile.

So no new functionality at all? Put a dent in the analog sticks, tighten the triggers, lengthen the handles and that's it? Just same thing, pump more horse power into the box PC style, and leave it at that?

Yup, we have reached perfection, adding the shitty triggers was the final piece of the jigsaw. don't expect any changes for the next century at least.

Mista Koo

I think there is room in the back to add two more shoulder buttons for a total of six. They would lye naturally on your middle fingers from the standard DS3 grip but the back would protrude some more to compensate. What do you guys think.
We really don't need more buttons, I think R2 L2 should be moved there.

Since this became a general controller discussion this is my idea of a great controller:
A lot of stuff would have to be fixed/perfected especially placement, but you get the idea.

dezzy8

the sticks are soooo loose. My thumbs are always touching each other when I'm playing with the DS. Its really annoying. They need to bring back the batarang.

NinjaBoiX

It's really not. The face buttons are perfection. The d-pad is near as damn it. The sticks are OK, but not as good as 360's, the shoulders I guess are better than 360's.

The triggers are beyond a joke, so fucking bad. First of all, whoever thought a trigger:

3b4f49ecd60110f432419f441435be3c.jpg

...should be convex were off their meds. Did they even use it once they'd made it?

Also, why did they use soggy, folded cardboard instead of springs? They are so fucking spongey, and don't spring back as they should. 360 triggers have a long, smooth, even travel with a definite start and stop. DS3 triggers never feel like you are applying maximum pressure, and never feel strong enough, I always feel like they'll be he first things to go, and they usually are.

Of course, the issues can be sorted with a pair of Giotek Real Triggers, so it's not too bad. I have a pair glued to one of my pads.

Top Bottom