• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
every time I see this discussion, people always say they want more stiff analog stick, I assume what they mean is that the analog have more resistance when you move it away from the center, why do people want this? granted I only use 360 controller a couple times on pc, but I always have easier time with subtle movement with ds3 analog, with 360, because it snapped firmly in the middle, I need to use a bit more force to move the stick and usually make me overshoot my aiming when I just want subtle change.

now I admit I've seen some pretty old ds3 controller where the analog has gone loose, as in it'll sometimes register movement even when you didn't touch it, I assume this happen because the stick didn't snapped back to the center properly, but this is because of faulty hardware due to long use or just played too roughly. new ds3 don't have this problem. so maybe they can work on the build quality, but as far as the analog stick resistance goes, I think ds3 is great.

I have no idea why people want this either, it's absolutely terrible for shooters and why I prefer to play games like call of duty on the ps3 rather than the 360. The precision and fine tune aiming on the ps3 is vastly superior thanks to the smaller dead zone.

Consoles need to get over the obsession of having a single controller style. I despise the Dualshock. It's uncomfortable, and I'd simply rather use something more similar to the 360 in style.

Perhaps it's the third parties that are to blame. If they offered options outside of the base controller's style, I'd use their product over the official product.

iceatcs

I have no idea why people want this either, it's absolutely terrible for shooters and why I prefer to play games like call of duty on the ps3 rather than the 360. The precision and fine tune aiming on the ps3 is vastly superior thanks to the smaller dead zone.

It is other thing I like about DualShock is smaller dead zone. I dunno much on PS game but it was godsend for some of PC games and especially PCSX2. 360 simple unplayable for those games. That because of my 2x and bro's 360 pads right stick can't do full on up-left (Meaning can't running more faster on forward-left).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It do need changing, one of the many reasons I prefer the 360.

No. Im sorry, The 360 is a perfect controller in every way compared to the sixasix. Seriously.

IF a stupid d-pad and clicky shoulder buttons is perfection, I want nothing to do with it. Also, I am sick of double A batteries and the awful build quality. I have 3 of those controllers. One has a left trigger that squeaks, one has a battery pack that loses its connection when the controller vibrates, and one has an unresponsive right button on the dpad. And what do you mean I cannot charge the controller using a standard USB cable? Fuck you MS. No seriously, fuck you.

That said, the DS3 also has lots of room for improvement. It needs stiffer sticks, and a proper trigger. The spring mechanism of the trigger also needs a revamp.

The next DS will probably have a touch screen or a back touch for menu navigation and stuff, not for gameplay. Probably the next Xbox controller will have touch screen as well, since touch is so prevalent right now.

Jawmuncher

It's perfect the way it is.

No the one thing that needs to be changed is the L2 and R2 buttons.
Make it by default have the triggers on there (Im talking about the PDP ones) and theyd be golden.

But then again if I can just put those on the next controller as well then I wont really care.

The DS is just too small, the analog sticks are loose, and playing FPS games on it is just impossible for me. It works well for 2d games but more and more developers are staring to use dual analogs for all their games and they fell out of place. The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.

I'd buy you a beer if I could.

It's starting to bug me that my favorite titles are Sony exclusives. Yes, I hate the DS3 that much.

RibMan

I doubt Sony will launch the PS4 with another Dual Shock controller. Nintendo were successful this gen because they introduced a new controller that was able to attract a very large casual audience. I think the PS4's main controller will be something completely new that is aimed for both casual gamers and hardcore gamers. I do think the PS4 will also support the Dual Shock 3 in some fashion.

RibMan

The next DS will probably have a touch screen or a back touch for menu navigation and stuff, not for gameplay. Probably the next Xbox controller will have touch screen as well, since touch is so prevalent right now.

I absolutely agree. I think the next PlayStation controller will have a touchscreen and speakers built into the controller.

Raoh

I'd buy you a beer if I could.

It's starting to bug me that my favorite titles are Sony exclusives. Yes, I hate the DS3 that much.

Can't you buy a third party controller?

That's the thing for me, I want the DS3 layout but a bit bigger, like the logitech action cordless for the PS2. Their ps3 verison blows, no bluetooth, no sixaxis, no rumble and poorer battery life than its older brother.

Most other third party controllers lack features, are poorly made, are not as solid as the DS3 build wise/stick and dpad wise, are wired... or if they are well made, they have a god damn 360 layout no one asked for.

The 360 gamer who plays ps3 games as well has controller options, ps3 gamers who like the PlayStation layout do not.

I doubt Sony will launch the PS4 with another Dual Shock controller. Nintendo were successful this gen because they introduced a new controller that was able to attract a very large casual audience. I think the PS4's main controller will be something completely new that is aimed for both casual gamers and hardcore gamers. I do think the PS4 will also support the Dual Shock 3 in some fashion.

You knoW which console attracted an even larger casual audience than the Wii? The PS2.

Might as well bring backtrack the 2600 controller as the standard for next gen.
I mean, who needs evolution? 20 year old shit is perfectly fine, so why not 30 year old shit? SMH

Hell yeah...the most popular games in 1990 are exactly the same as those in 2012 and fit the exact same control scheme perfectly.

LOL.

It's not too hard to use an analog stick aligned to the dualshock position. The same is not true for the d-pad. Maybe this is partly due to size, but it's terrible on the gamecube.

if the ps4 launches in 2014 that would be 20 years with the same basic design. it's time to change the controller.

games don't play the same anymore. the focus has changed to sticks and triggers and away from the dpad. even face buttons seem to be loosing their uses. it would be comparable to nintendo using a modified SNES controller up to last year.

Can't you buy a third party controller?

That's the thing for me, I want the DS3 layout but a bit bigger, like the logitech action cordless for the PS2. Their ps3 verison blows, no bluetooth, no sixaxis, no rumble and poorer battery life than its older brother.

Most other third party controllers lack features, are poorly made, are not as solid as the DS3 build wise/stick and dpad wise, are wired... or if they are well made, they have a god damn 360 layout no one asked for.

The 360 gamer who plays ps3 games as well has controller options, ps3 gamers who like the PlayStation layout do not.

I've bought 5. All are of the 360 design variety and absolutely none of them have gotten the analog stick precision right. Not Power A, not Giotek, not Shadow...can't remember the name of the other mfg I've used. They ALL have a deadzone that makes left analog stick movements very ...well, not precise. MLB 2k series...left analog stick is use to place the pitch....but compared to DS3 ...placement on screen moves a lot more. Sniping in games...moves too much....

Hell...I love the design of this controller. But I have no faith that the analog sticks will perform as accurately as the DS3 sticks.

It's like Sony holds the patent for accuracy with controllers on the PS3.

Seriously...I'd pay $100 for a good controller with a precise analog stick.

RibMan

You knoW which console attracted an even larger casual audience than the Wii? The PS2.

What worked 5 years ago will be closer emulated than what worked 10 years ago. A very large part of the PS2s casual success was due to the consoles ability to play DVD movies.

Frankly, SONY should be researching brand new ergonomic controls to dynamically change how the player manipulate it's space in 3D. Just like how N64 implemented the analog stick that changed 3D gaming forever. There are a lot of issues that hasn't been addressed such as:

- Characters move in a context input. One button to prompt action (eg. square punch, x jump)
- To many QTE's for cinematics simply because the game designer is unable to give freedom to the player due to the complex nature of how the player could react. Heavy Rain tries to emulate this with a virtual "analog" button system. Had there been a controller that can dynamically control the mechanics of Heavy Rain WITHOUT the button prompts, it would've been a natural evolution to what Mario 64 did for 3D gaming.

RibMan

if the ps4 launches in 2014 that would be 20 years with the same basic design. it's time to change the controller.

games don't play the same anymore. the focus has changed to sticks and triggers and away from the dpad. even face buttons seem to be loosing their uses.

it would be comparable to nintendo using a modified SNES controller up to last year.

I completely agree. I think Sony will develop a tablet-style controller similar to what Nintendo has done with the Wii U.

leng jai

Far from perfect. Things to improve:

- The sticks are terrible, especially for sports games.
- It could use slightly more weight.
- Triggers needs to be modified.

I vastly prefer the 360 pad in every facet besides the d-pad.

What worked 5 years ago will be closer emulated than what worked 10 years ago. A very large part of the PS2s casual success was due to the consoles ability to play DVD movies.

Early on that may have been the case, but not late its life cycle when it was still selling at at steady pace. It's actually still selling to this day. The controller is certainly a hurdle for some casuals, but there's clearly a large amount of them that aren't bothered by it. And they'd be making a much bigger mistake to piss off the people that have stuck with them for all this time while attempting to chase gamers that'll leave as quickly as they come.

NeoGIF

Like some have said, the only things that I would change are the L2 and R2 buttons back to the way they were on the PS2.

Other than that, the controller is perfect.

DonMigs85

Tighter sticks and curved triggers are the only real improvements I want.

Like some have said, the only things that I would change are the L2 and R2 buttons back to the way they were on the PS2.

Other than that, the controller is perfect.
Nooo, those buttons didn't have much travel and were lousy for fine analog control in racing games.

Early on that may have been the case, but not late its life cycle when it was still selling at at steady pace. It's actually still selling to this day. The controller is certainly a hurdle for some casuals, but there's clearly a large amount of them that aren't bothered by it. And they'd be making a much bigger mistake to piss off the people that have stuck with them for all this time while attempting to chase gamers that'll leave as quickly as they come.

Well, the system is 13 million behind in the US so maybe the controller is only acceptable in some regions and unacceptable in others. Who knows but when you base it on sales this is a logical conclusion.

Also changing the controller actually worked for Nintendo. Had they kept it the same, who knows what the Wii would have been. Chaning the controller is what made them a major player again.

Half the fun of a brand new console is a brand new controller, so I'd be all up for this notion, but not if it's gonna imitate the 360 controller/optimize itself for FPS games. Also, the DS is a pretty iconic part of the Playstation brand. A drastically new, and different controller would probably be a hard sell for most fans.

Iceblade

If you were forced to use the N64 controller for 15 years, you'd probably think it was perfect as it is too. D-Pad is shocking, triggers are shocking--Dualshock needs a change.

RibMan

True, that is why I think the PS4 will have support for the Dual Shock 3. I just don't think Sony will make the Dual Shock the primary controller for the PS4.

cnizzle06

Banned
Keep the overall same design, fix the triggers, maybe add a rear touch pad, make the force feedback more precise and accurate, flash it up a little, and baby, you got yourself a stew going.

huh? the dpad is good.

Feels terrible IMO. Hurts the hell out of my thumb after prolonged usage, which, admittedly, isn't that often, but still. The R2/L2 buttons are TERRIBLE as well. How people call the DS3 "perfect" blows my mind. They don't need to change the layout, but there are definitely ways to make it feel better.

mollipen

No. Im sorry, The 360 is a perfect controller in every way compared to the sixasix. Seriously.

Okay, seriously, there is no way in the world you can argue in favor of the 360's d-pad over the Dual Shock d-pad. Also, I've never had an analog stick on a Dual Shock start floating in any one direction; I've had two 360 controllers do that.

(Yeah, that second is anecdotal—that 360 d-pad is beyond saving however.)

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
It's perfectly fine.

just add a bit of heft to it to give it some weight.
or maybe concave analog sticks..

If I were Sony I would just release a few different styles of official controllers to make everyone happy.. I know of a few people that like certain ps3 games.. but refuse to get a ps3 to play them because of the controller shape.

More of an Nintendo thing but... I want atomic purple to come back!

Feels terrible IMO. Hurts the hell out of my thumb after prolonged usage, which, admittedly, isn't that often, but still. The R2/L2 buttons are TERRIBLE as well. How people call the DS3 "perfect" blows my mind. They don't need to change the layout, but there are definitely ways to make it feel better.
how does it hurt if the buttons are soft?

Mindlog

Half the fun of a brand new console is a brand new controller, so I'd be all up for this notion, but not if it's gonna imitate the 360 controller/optimize itself for FPS games. Also, the DS is a pretty iconic part of the Playstation brand. A drastically new, and different controller would probably be a hard sell for most fans.
As was proven by the FF13-like breakdowns after the Banana.
vJJfh.jpg

"Sony just made it's biggest mistake yadda yadda yadda, Honour."
It's more comfortable.
"I don't care it looks stupid. It's not mature enough. It doesn't suit my Sony Lifestyle™"
With PS4 we'll also be pushing for 60 fps across the board.
"No! 30 FPS with dropped frames or no sale."

big_z

sonys controller sucks. it's usable but it's outdated and needs an update.

imo this is the ideal controller.

gC4xI.jpg

it's the same size as a 360 controller, has a better d-pad, the wasted crotch space moved up along with battery pack removal for finger space. the handles are also a bit more narrow and deeper like a hybrid between the gamecube and 360 controller.

microsoft you can use this design, just send me an xbox 720 and some goodies and well call it a day. ;)

Izick

-fix the L2/R2 buttons; they need to be triggers
-fix the d-pad; too rough if using after a while; can really wear thumb down
-the L1/R1 buttons are fine, but the surrounding plastic is too high; I always hit the plastic on the side when in the heat of the moment

The PS3 controller is good, but not even close to the perfection of the 360's. I wish Sony would just do a whole redesign on the DS, but it's not going to happen, so perhaps refine it so it's a bit more ergonomic and I'll be happy.

BDGAME

They can make a controller that is just equal the Ps3 controller, but with some flaps to lower wind resistance and racing stripes that look "pretty cool".

The DS3 is not perfect.

Hell, Sony's own Dual analog controller (1997) was a better design and Sony decided to go backwards.

Longer handles, concave stick tops....something on the L2/R2 triggers.

But NO. Sony went and over thought something again.

Sheesh...the DS3 isn't perfect. It's convenient.

U-061-H-00210-A_00.jpg

how does it hurt if the buttons are soft?

Idk, I just never liked it. The space between directions and shape of the buttons never felt good under my thumb and prolonged use of it hurts. The shape of the R2/L2 "triggers" on the PS3 dualshock is a much bigger issue though considering how much they're used. Those are objectively bad and need to be changed. The convex stick tops are not good either.

Just lose the entire DS form factor and start from scratch. Use the superior 360 controller as a guide, but feel free to improve on it (start by using the Dpad from the Vita). Keep in mind that not everyone has the hands of a child. Make it comfortable for those of us with adult-sized hands.

Top Bottom