• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents possible PS5 Backward Compatibility method invented by Mark Cerny

Lort

Banned
Time for a blast from the past ...

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," Sony's head of global sales Jim Ryan said this week to Time.
“would anybody play this?”

Layden says Sony still views the Vita as a viable development platform...

...namely the explosive eSports phenomenon. “It’s a subject that is occupying us quite a lot these days....

Ahhh looking at what just about anyone said a few years ago can seem kinda amusing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," Sony's head of global sales Jim Ryan said this week to Time.
“would anybody play this?”

...namely the explosive eSports phenomenon. “It’s a subject that is occupying us quite a lot these days....

Ahhh looking at what just about anyone said a few years ago can seem kinda amusing.

Z7HeRxU.png

Personaly I am waiting for Scarlet to release so that Xbox goes back to adding BC games to the list. This is how much I enjoy BC overall. Otogi next please.
Well in regard to this I wonder why they actually stopped. If Xbox games of present will all carry over then why were the efforts of making them backward compatible not continued through the release of next-gen? My only thought is there is going to be some fundamental change in the way it's handled with Scarlett. Maybe the system will be fully backward compatible with the existing digital model on top of that for select licensed games?!? They've already shown they have an extremely good emulator running for both Xbox and Xbox 360 games which means they no doubt could simply be run off the drive/system without some need for a download.

We'll have to see I guess.

Journey

Banned
Well in regard to this I wonder why they actually stopped. If Xbox games of present will all carry over then why were the efforts of making them backward compatible not continued through the release of next-gen? My only thought is there is going to be some fundamental change in the way it's handled with Scarlett. Maybe the system will be fully backward compatible with the existing digital model on top of that for select licensed games?!? They've already shown they have an extremely good emulator running for both Xbox and Xbox 360 games which means they no doubt could simply be run off the drive/system without some need for a download.

I hope so, it sounds like Scarlett may be handling BC in a different way, and if that's the case, it would be a waste of time to continue development of the current method. The way MS makes it sound is that Scarlett is being built from the ground up to support all previous Xbox generations.

As for PS5, I'm glad it will have PS4 support, makes perfect sense. Now if they can only get PS3 games to work, not That would be magic.

Last edited:

SNG32

No questions asked that if it's true BC Natively then it's a day one purchase. But only way I see this happening is them doing something similar to the Xbox situation. Whatever titles become available on PSNOW I can see if you have a physical copy of it you will be allowed to use it. Only backwards compatibility that's a sure bet natively is PS4 anything beyond that is going to be BC through PSNOW which will not be the whole library of the previous playstation generations. Calling it now.

SALMORE

i just hope that it doesn't require an internet connection & better be region free !!

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

cireza

The technical stack is different enough that they probably have to emulate how the Xbox One behaves for everything (One/360/OG). Probably that by doing this, they will guarantee that everything that runs on Xbox One will run on Scarlet. Layers of emulation stacking one after another. I hope that this does not lead to more input lag in these games.

Probably that whatever is added afterwards will not have to go through the "Xbox One emulation layer" and will be a direct emulation done by the Scarlet (they said that next BC games will be Scarlet only). I don't think that any kind of magic happens really. They promised stuff but technically a lot of work is involved, that's why the entire team is working to keep this promise true. We might not have all One + 360 + OG titles playing at launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

FranXico

Indeed it is!

Speaking to The Verge, Microsoft Xbox Live vice president Marc Whitten said that the architecture between the two machines is too different to allow for backwards compatibility. "The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective," he said.

Things can change ridiculously fast, isn't it?

Three

Go into ANY BC thread and count how many posters underplay it's value. "Who wants old games", "I still have my old machines". It's a very common mantra from the usual suspects, I can't wait for those same posters to talk how excited they are now.
Yes Xbox didn't have bc at launch, and it hurt them badly. At launch I switched from primarily 360 gamer to PS4 because Microsoft had NOTHING to keep me in their ecosystem. At launch both companies effectively orphaned 1000s of dollars of software I bought which was a huge mistake. I would have stayed with the slower, poorly planned xbone if they would have had the excellent version of bc they have now.
Ok but so what? I can understand those peoples point of view but can you show me them praising it as some huge selling point when Sony does it now?

Do you see anyone praising Sony for VR support for example and lambasting MS for not doing it like you do BC? It's the MS camp that market this BC like it's some huge new feature we've never had before that they invented. I guess now that Sony will have it MS marketing will move away from it and so will its camp, they would rather PS4 users did not remain PS5 users so BC will not be something to discuss as often anymore.

pr0cs

can you show me them praising it as some huge selling point when Sony does it now?
The bc plans for Sony are only a rumor, lets wait to see if they officially announce it.

My point is that not having bc for this Gen was a mistake, if they do offer it for ps5 I'll be happy but it will also validate my opinion at the beginning of this Gen that bc should have been mandatory

Ar¢tos

New PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 store containing all the games, with native supported on PS5. That would be great for consumers plus a decent money spinner for Sony.
Licensing (music, car brands, Middleware , etc) says NO.
Have physical disc or no luck.

Microsoft's solution is the only one that has made backwards compatibility relevant. Full BC is not actually good because there's no licensing tied to it which means the games can't be sold.

Approved licensing may result in less games overall but it also results in the following.

1. Digital games that can be purchased

2. Higher accessibility with no need to hunt down old games that are hard to find

3. Fixed cost with no price gouging in the retro market

4. Money spent actually going to the developers/publishers

5. For those who mind; the ability to have a bunch of old games without the clutter involved that comes with having a bunch of old games piled up everywhere

6. Staggered releases meaning games are added periodically which keeps interests peaked, hype engaged and conversations going

Full backwards compatibility is great but it has failed every single time due to the above listed not being encompassed. It's a big deal at launch and then forgotten, there's nothing to drive it forward.
Then they just have full BC and start getting licenses for games and sell those ones digitally. Then you sell the same amount of games but if you can't get the license people can still play them with a physical game.

Then they just have full BC and start getting licenses for games and sell those ones digitally. Then you sell the same amount of games but if you can't get the license people can still play them with a physical game.
If that's the case where is the incentive for them to seek out licensing? There is none, if that's the case who's to say that won't just piss off license holders where they basically just say "Well you've already gone over our heads and made the system play them natively so have fun"...

You know?

If that's the case where is the incentive for them to seek out licensing? There is none, if that's the case who's to say that won't just piss off license holders where they basically just say "Well you've already gone over our heads and made the system play them natively so have fun"...

You know?
The incentive is the digital sales for people that didn't own the previous console or people that didn't buy the game last gen. Personally I never have all the games I want bought for a console by the time a generation ends, I buy last gen games 2-3 years into the next generations life. There's also people that sell their console/games to get the next gen one and might rebuy a game down the road if they see it on sale.

I just don't see publishers refusing to sell their games on PSN because Sony added full physical BC.

Ten_Fold

If I could play ps1-5 on my ps5 that would be soo good, I probably won’t play much ps4 games as I hardly have any, but if it keeps me from pulling on my ps2 every once in a while then I’m all for it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games," he continued, "and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

I wonder if some of those execs ever enjoyed playing their games over the years or if it was just one big push to look good among-st everyone else. The whole appeal at the time was that nothing else could be compared to PlayStation's games. Overtime, you have had nostalgia and retro games try to mimic that age of video games. There seems to be a huge separation somewhere. Nintendo sure as hell can release NES/SNES and so forth. Why can't Sony act that way about Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, or all those PS1/PS2 games they released on PS3's digital storefront. Nintendo has spent the last decade or more trying to get us to buy NES games on all their devices.

Sony has such a fantastic legacy lineup. Hell, look at all the reboots/remakes/remasters/legacy ports there are. They all started somewhere and for some people we'd rather have the original port or a complete remake. Which one would be easier/cheaper to make? a digital port or making the console BC.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
it will also validate my opinion at the beginning of this Gen that bc should have been mandatory

Mandatory? They crushed sales all gen long, including the beginning. I think it is a nice to have feature during the transition of a new gen, but it is a feature that gets more talk than use. I have a PC and XBX, yet I'm not playing any old games. This is true for most folks, many are just yearly Madden, COD and now Fortnite gamers.

DonF

Why stop with consoles? Include PSP and Vita, both machines have great catalogs and some very special games...damn. If true, this would be the one console to rule them all...

Why stop with consoles? Include PSP and Vita, both machines have great catalogs and some very special games...damn. If true, this would be the one console to rule them all...
The issue with them is licensing. It is fine with 1st party games, but re-selling old games need to have their owners ironed out. And many games don't have studios any more, and with the legal rights scattered to the winds.

What would people think of this:

It's not really "disc-based" backward compatibility. What actually happens is that you put in the disc, the PS5 uses the identity data on the disc to perform a lookup to PSN, and the PSN version of the game is downloaded and installed to your console. You'd always need to have disc in the drive to play the game, as part of the validation.

Good, bad?

(wait - isn't this how Xbox One does it..?)

It's not really "disc-based" backward compatibility. What actually happens is that you put in the disc, the PS5 uses the identity data on the disc to perform a lookup to PSN, and the PSN version of the game is downloaded and installed to your console. You'd always need to have disc in the drive to play the game, as part of the validation.

Good, bad?

Yes this is basically how it works on Xbox One, the disc is a key, not the game.

FranXico

Good, bad?

I would find it a bit lame, but absolutely better than nothing.

Pallas

One thing is for sure, BC is not that important to gamers, but it is VERY important to GaaS game developers.

Imagine if Fortnite PS4 digital purchases couldn't be transferred to PS5; there would be a very real risk that many people would simply not bother to play on PS5 then. Games that are sold for free, are reliant on players staying to buy digital goods. And if BC doesn't happen there is a strong risk that their customers move to some other rival's GaaS game in the change over.

You don’t think BC is very important to gamers? Maybe not all but those who carry a tremendous backlogs from the previous gen, digitally and physical probably care about it. Especially those who do. It like carrying around several consoles just to play them. I’ll repeat it again, if BC was not that important, Microsoft wouldn’t haven released theirs halfway through this gen and Sony wouldn’t be committed to it next gen supposedly.

Do I think it’s the most important aspect? Not at all and I’m not trying to overhype it’s importance, but clearly gamers would love to have it.

I think if one console doesn’t have it at launch while the other does, it could tip the scales a bit, unlike this gen when it wasn’t released until years later. Before abyonevquotes this though, I’m not saying Microsoft would magically win or come much closer(BC can’t fix the fuck up they had at launch) but I think those who invested in the 360 previous gen would have second thoughts before going all
in on the PS4.

GaaS? They just need to release a new game each gen that has your progress carry over, with more content and added graphics and performance. It’s something Destiny/Bungie wanted to do prior to the launch of the first Destiny but to quite work out. I think it’s Niut as important as non-GaaS thot games though.

I don’t think anyone is going to want to play the same ol’ Fortnite when PS6/XboxOmega360ScorpioScarlett releases.

Regarding GaaS:

Fortnite will most likely get a PS5/XB2 update, so no need for BC in that case.

GTAV? I don't think so... still waiting for that elusive Pro/X patch! BC will be needed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Regarding GaaS:

Fortnite will most likely get a PS5/XB2 update, so no need for BC in that case.

GTAV? I don't think so... still waiting for that elusive Pro/X patch! BC will be needed.

Maybe they’ll add the PC improvements to both those games (GTAV/RDR2) at the very least on the new consoles, since the power will be there. 60fps, etc.

Maybe they’ll add the PC improvements to both those games (GTAV/RDR2) at the very least on the new consoles, since the power will be there. 60fps, etc.
Dunno man. Rockstar sold 100m GTAV copies (a world record for a AAA game) and they still refuse to release Pro/X patches. Lack of money isn't the issue here.

I hope you're right.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dunno man. Rockstar sold 100m GTAV copies (a world record for a AAA game) and they still refuse to release Pro/X patches. Lack of money isn't the issue here.

I hope you're right.

I think with GTAV it ran smooth and stable and they didn’t want to mess with that for minimal upgrades.

CPU next gen is more impactful to get a patch for double the frame rate like the PC.

I hope they do as well. Just spitballing with all of this.

thelastword

Banned
Since Sony don't care about remastering the Motorstorm Trilogy, I'll take BC as a compromise.
4k 60fps on these games would be great, perhaps even with enhanced textures according to the patent...……...Speaking of which, remember that first Motorstorm Trailer......I think next gen will blow this out of the water at 4k 60fps in realtime……..Killzone 2 Demo and that Haze reveal won't have a prayer either......

Blade2.0

Old games don't make money, they'll probably do the minimum and people will accept it.
Maybe back in the day old games don't make money, but with MTX, Gaas games make a lot of money long after release. Much better to just allow seige through BC than to make a port.

Maybe back in the day old games don't make money, but with MTX, Gaas games make a lot of money long after release. Much better to just allow seige through BC than to make a port.
Any kind of MTX with older games would require a new contract. This is the real barrier to anything more than 1 gen old.

The PS2 -> PS3 leap was monumental for multiple reasons (programmable pixel shaders allowing more realistic graphics, SD -> HD, analog/SCART -> digital/HDMI).

This kind of leap is like going from dial-up to broadband (ADSL/Cable). Once in a lifetime opportunity.

It's a tad bit unrealistic to expect leaps like these with every transition...

Derktron

Banned
I mean it better be, if Xbox does it and so does Nintendo (even though you have to repay for everything every generation — well kind of Nintendo because you really can’t play all the generations from Nintendo old systems) then Sony can do it.

Kagey K

Banned

I can’t even try to watch that. I tried, the shoutouts interrupting his thoughts kills me.

Where does he get this “everything, everywhere” motto that Sony has supposedly had since 2012?

Hes going to lose a lot of credibility (if he had any) very fast if he’s wrong.

I can’t even try to watch that. I tried, the shoutouts interrupting his thoughts kills me.

Where does he get this “everything, everywhere” motto that Sony has supposedly had since 2012?

Hes going to lose a lot of credibility (if he had any) very fast if he’s wrong.
My theory is Xbox got word of this ambitious plan by PlayStation back in 2015 and decided to work on their own backwards compatibility.

Top Bottom