• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

Delayed, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales.
House is not that clean.
The latter might not do as well as previous entries but at worst they will be 2 of the top 5 best selling games of the year. Battlefront is getting a single player campaign and will be attached to and tie in to the biggest film of the year. It will do massive numbers

Delayed, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales.
House is not that clean.

That's a tad cynical.

COD still was the highest selling game on 2016 NPD and Star Wars fever can not be matched, at most they'll drop a couple million off the 14 million they sold with the first game.

Assassin's Creed could potentially be in for a comeback but who knows which one has the marketing deal this time.

Probably MS as a Scorpio showcase/bundle but it will sell better on PS4 for obvious reasons.

darkwing

So, skimming through the thread, people/Zhuge have said the following:

Record Playstation shipments for a quarter.
PS4 still outpacing PS2.
PSN revenue higher than Nintendo's entire revenue.
PSN revenue from last 12 months higher than steam ($5.8B vs $3.5B)

All correct? Crazy if true. What a turn around.

PSN is a beast

Fredrik

PS4 still outpacing PS2.

Holy... wow that is just insane. The Playstation division should just form their own company and get rid of the bleeding wounds of the other Sony divisions to really benefit from this success.

Holy fuck that is pretty insane. Those guys are literally printing money lol.

Not at all, still in a pretty precarious position with such tiny profits each quarter.

Sony profit for quarter: $431 million
Samsung profit for quarter: $7.9 BILLION.

They need something other than PS to bring in the profits.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

PS4 still outpacing PS2.

Also with Sony moving 9.7M in just a single quarter

Vs

Wii U 13.5M LTD = 3.8M difference
XB1 26M LTD (More or less) = 16.3M difference

Sony is killing it

Wollan

I had no idea PSN was bigger than Steam (and by a large margin). Steam represents 75% of the global market for digital PC sales.

edit: To be fair to Steam, $1B on PSN can likely be accounted to PS+ subscription costs.

Gurish

Approaching the 60 m soon :O

Damn that is fast! I think the console will end up when all said and done at 120m, is this a realistic expectation?

onQ123

PS4 sales show how out of touch Nintendo is, they are constantly trying to find 'new ways to play' when the majority just want a standard box that sits on their media unit and plays the vast majority of games released.

Nintendo consoles would die if they tried to go head to head with PlayStation consoles. Wii has been Nintendo only console to hold it's own since PlayStation came into the console market & it did it because it was not going up against PS3 for the same market.

In fact Nintendo home consoles are dead & Switch is a play to roll the Nintendo home console & handheld into a single platform just like Scorpio/UWP is a play to roll Xbox & Windows PC gaming into a single platform. Wii U is the last pure Nintendo home console (for now) & Xbox One is the last pure Xbox console. (As in the last console that Xbox games will be made for because for now on it's UWP games being made for Xbox One/Scorpio/Windows 10 PCs.

Rymuth

How is Ps4 comparing to Ps2 and Wii? Someone please tell me.
zYlc.png

Edit: just realized you also asked for Wii, comparisons. Sorry!

samar11

Not at all, still in a pretty precarious position with such tiny profits each quarter.

They have multiple divisions that bring in profit for Sony overall, where you getting this information ?

Fredrik

zYlc.png

Edit: just realized you also asked for Wii, comparisons. Sorry!
Interesting, it kind of shows what happens as soon as someone mess up.

PS2 - Sega was the main competitor and Dreamcast was killed off and Sega left the hardware scene, GC was too late and XB was the new guy. Sony slaughtered everyone else.

PS4 - WiiU was a misstep and XB1 was a PS4 with worse specs and bad PR. Sony is close to slaughter everyone else.

viHuGi

Banned

They made 1b in profits last year in the same trimester and since when is millions of profit a bad thing? It would be better to have loss? Of course not, Sony has made a huge turnaround.

Javin98

Banned
I still believe in 2019.

If anything I think this will make them keep at it so that there are zero years with loss of momentum. And that they'll emphasis PS5 onwards having library BC to keep software sales healthy.

Oh it may very well not. What I more mean is they don't have to rush anything. They are bringing in so much revenue that if they don't feel comfortable launching in 2019 they by no means have to. They can take their sweet time (unless MS / Nintendo somehow manage to really shake up the industry)
Keep in mind that hardware launches also depend on the tech available at the time. I can't see Sony releasing the PS5 on anything but 7nm fabrication process and it's possible it won't hit until 2019. Even then, a capable APU must be available for it to be shipped in the console. So, to me, a holiday 2020 release is still the most likely scenario.

Taker34

Banned

I hope you're not serious about this comparison. Samsung is a behemoth and Sony isn't simply in the same league because it's mainly an entertainment/tech focused company while Samsung is building ships, military jets, tanks, the world most famous and largest skyscrapers, the worlds leading smartphone and chip producer, insurance company etc. etc. etc. Of course Sony looks like a dwarf next to it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting, it kind of shows what happens as soon as someone mess up.

PS2 - Sega was the main competitor and Dreamcast was killed off and Sega left the hardware scene, GC was too late and XB was the new guy. Sony slaughtered everyone else.

PS4 - WiiU was a misstep and XB1 was a PS4 with worse specs and bad PR. Sony is close to slaughter everyone else.

Sorry if I come across a bit harsh here, but I really do not like this kind of narrative: it puts way too much weight on others f'ing up rather than letting the good work done by the market leader globally speak for itself.

Fredrik

And we haven't got gta6 and Tlous part 2
Yeah this thing gonna reach 100m in 3 years if not less
Yup. Barely any first party stuff is out yet, with GT7, FF7Remake, Shenmue 3, Dad of War (;P), Death Stranding, Spiderman, etc on the horizon and with Pro out and Slim there for lower prices it'll easily do 100M. It'll be the best selling Playstation for sure when it's all said and done.

Javin98

Banned
Approaching the 60 m soon :O

Damn that is fast! I think the console will end up when all said and done at 120m, is this a realistic expectation?
Well, I have been keeping that prediction since late 2014 and I think the PS4 is still on track to sell 120 million before it is discontinued.

Fredrik

Sorry if I come across a bit harsh here, but I really do not like this kind of narrative: it puts way too much weight on others f'ing up rather than letting the good work done by the market leader globally speak for itself.
Why hide the truth that it is a competition? You have to be the best every time or someone else will climb over you no matter how great your historical successes are.

Toni

Jesus, 57 million to date and outpacing the PS2. Sony is single-handely carrying the console market.

Literally. They have been tryring to get their shit together for a while but somehow something seems to happen every quarter, this time it was Pictures turn.

At least their Mobile division is off the red.

Which is the greatest thing that could have happened because their Sony Xperia phones are legit the best phones in the smartphone market.
They are also the best gaming phones in general with PS4 remote play on both their smartphone line and tablet line.

Its the smartphone come true.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why hide the truth that it is a competition? You have to be the best every time or someone else will climb over you no matter how great your historical successes are.

The narrative focusing on others fucking up is hiding the truth just as much as not mentioning the competition (some people hold on that to minimise the good thing a and execution Sony is actively responsible for), which is not what I was doing :p.

Bastables

I hope you're not serious about this comparison. Samsung is a behemoth and Sony isn't simply in the same league because it's mainly an entertainment/tech focused company while Samsung is building ships, military jets, tanks, the world most famous and largest skyscrapers, the worlds leading smartphone and chip producer, insurance company etc. etc. etc. Of course Sony looks like a dwarf next to it.
It's weird right, espicailly as Samsung was historically attempting to emulate another conglomerate heavy industry company with three stars, Mitsubishi. You might as well compare Sony to GE and conclude well a company that makes consumer electronics is pretty small compared to a company that builds ships/planes.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They havent even stocked their asian channels with ps4 pros yet. They may hit their target shipment after all.

Toni

People shitposting the quaterly results by comparing it to Samsung's profit earnings has me dumbfounded.

Can't shitpost Sony with nobody from the gaming industry so let me bring in Samsung.

I've seen it all now 😂😂

samar11

People shitposting the quaterly results by comparing it to Samsung's profit earnings has me dumbfounded.

Can't shitpost Sony with nobody from the gaming industry so let me bring im Samsung.

I've seen it all now 😂😂

I am surprised nobody talked about Apple quarterly results lol

Fredrik

The narrative focusing on others fucking up is hiding the truth just as much as not mentioning the competition (some people hold on that to minimise the good thing a and execution Sony is actively responsible for), which is not what I was doing :p.
I just think that to be this successful you need to either do something different and get new consumers into the hobby (Wii) or do exactly the right thing when someone else mess up and basically get people to jump ship. PS4 is the perfect example when everything comes together perfectly (except the noise maybe) while both WiiU and XB1 mess up, I believe it's the combination of those scenarios that makes PS4 do these numbers.

No way PS4 can keep growing with heavy competitions this year.
I think 2016 is the plateau.

Nope its actually possible that 2017 could be the PS4's peak year.
-Sony has exclusives like Horizon that has potential to be a big hit, Uncharted the Lost Legacy, GT Sport (the first GT game on PS4 and will do gangbusters in Europe) and other 3rd party exclusives that add up to more sales.
-PlayStation also has marketing deals in place for most of the high profile 3rd party games such as Red Dead Redemption 2(the single biggest game releasing this year), Destiny 2, EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2, and the next COD just to name a few.
-This isn't even taking into account other unannounced games or titles that can possibly release this year still like FF7 Remake Part 1, and Dragon Quest 11(which will dominate in Japan though not as much as the 3DS/Switch version)
-Finally Sony will likely drop the price of the PS4 to $199 and the Pro to $299 next holiday.

viHuGi

Banned
This is the one you want
C3pXLMSXUAE0imA.jpg

As usual, credits to ZhugeEx

Holly shit is up there with Wii how in hell wtf Playstation usually has better legs but Wii was a Strom back in the day, based of retail feedback I've gathered around here Switch is going the same way as Wii but probably less fast.

cchum

Can't shitpost Sony with nobody from the gaming industry so let me bring in Samsung.

I've seen it all now ����

Ummm....also that's just Gaming guys.

Operating Income for sony as a whole is 796M vs the 431 for gaming.

eerik9000

Yeah, but what have Samsung's oil drilling ships to do with Sony's video game consoles?

I've seen it all now 😂😂

Even funnier if you then compare Samsung to Apple and see Apple made almost $10b more profit than Samsung.

Renekton

How about just Samsung Electronics

Top Bottom