• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

Wow, Nintendo actually did something cool here in this situation where I would not expect them to do something cool

Can I just say I admire you looking on the bright side when thread after E3 thread is full of negative moaning and whinging!

You've been the highlight of my browsing session - thankyou!

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
My apologies for not perusing the entire thread, but...

Are we still basing this "Sony refused cross platform play" on the twitter comments made by the WC journalist? Has there been more definitive confirmation than that since then?

It's not that I don't trust the journalist (I do), and it's not that twitter isn't a legit platform for disclosures, it's just that I find it odd that people are making such definitive conclusions on Sony's actions based on what was initially, at least (and may still be), a twitter comment - which would be bound to incite a reaction.

Now, if I need to be told to go back and read the thread again, I'll take the hit :)

Elandyll

Banned
My apologies for not perusing the entire thread, but...

Are we still basing this "Sony refused cross platform play" on the twitter comments made by the WC journalist? Has there been more definitive confirmation than that since then?

It's not that I don't trust the journalist (I do), and it's not that twitter isn't a legit platform for disclosures, it's just that I find it odd that people are making such definitive conclusions on Sony's actions based on what was initially, at least (and may still be), a twitter comment - which would be bound to incite a reaction.

Now, if I need to be told to go back and read the thread again, I'll take the hit :)
It's all based on Corben's tweets afaik. Knowing who he is (basically a PR operative for everything MS) and his track record ("99% sure it won't be Jaguar") I'm surprised people take him at his word without having any other info, but console wars at work... #shrug.

For the record, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony just doesn't trust MS and decided against it simply on that and went with this unpopular position, but there might also be more to it.

Synth

It's a valid concern and you can keep referencing SFV all you want but a far more analogous scenario, Fallout 4 and Skyrim mods, has been refused by Sony all along. Even while MS allows it mind you.

It's nothing like Fallout 4 and Skyrim. The community marketplace in Minecraft is to share content designed as per the confines on Minecraft itself. Players can't add external content to the game in the way they can with Bethesda's games. Look, you can even see that MS and Nintendo are still in discussions on whether or not skins exclusive to each platform will be visible and/or usable by players on a different platform. It's more analogous to say sharing custom liveries in Forza, where the content is created within the game itself, rather than someone downloading some shit off Google images and injecting it into the game and onto their car.

The sort of data that would describe this content would be in line with the type of data that makes these things possible in a whole shitton of games that already exist on PlayStation (including Minescraft currently)... hair color, character height, accessories... it all just descriptive info that the game will be designed and tested to accept. If it accepts invalid info (e.g. client side exploits), then that's not a crossplatform issue... that's a general fuck-up in the standard game's QA.

There is no direct transfer of one user's (or platform's) save to another. You're either playing in a game they're hosting, which is equivalent to anything else p2p today, playing on a server they're renting from MS which is equivalent to anything else server-based today... or you get their creation via the community marketplace, where it's validity can be be checked in all the ways you would test for in general, before it becomes available to arrive on anyone else's console. There's no ability for anyone to circumvent the boundaries of the data and push it directly onto a console in the way you would exploit a local save... because it isn't a local save until the data is pushed to the console in an agreed manner (as in, not a raw file straight from someone's PC) and then saved locally.

TheYanger

It's all based on Corben's tweets afaik. Knowing who he is (basically a PR operative for everything MS) and his track record ("99% sure it won't be Jaguar") I'm surprised people take him at his word without having any other info, but console wars at work... #shrug.

For the record, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony just doesn't trust MS and decided against it simply on that and went with this unpopular position, but there might also be more to it.

What other info do we actually need? like, if MS wanted to deny PS4 Minecraft they would've just done that, not deny them a free update. There's 0 chance that this has anything to do with anyone but Sony.

So why do you guys think Sony refused? Surely someone here can do the math?

Sony will come around if the userbase of the cross platform services is equal to or larger than their own, but at the moment, it gives competing platforms access to a larger body of players than they would otherwise have.

Having PS4 games cross play with XBOX ONE, would be a big gain for Microsoft, and a proportionally small gain for Sony.

As platform holders you should expect them to leverage their userbases in a way that makes financial sense. For Microsoft and Nintendo, this makes sense, for Sony, it just makes competing platforms proportionally more appealing. Sony want people to buy their system to play with their users, to play within their ecosystem, they don't want people seeing other platforms as a means of saying 'Oh I don't need to get a PS4 now, because I can play with Barry on my tablet'.

Maybe if it turns out that this works well, and they will get access to the PC userbase, they might come around, but I very much doubt they have any significant interest in cross platform play with either console.

DataGhost

mi_05.jpg

Nope!

Does this confirm it's definitely not coming?

Trup1aya

Sony will come around if the userbase of the cross platform services is equal to or larger than their own, but at the moment, it gives competing platforms access to a larger body of players than they would otherwise have.

Having PS4 games cross play with XBOX ONE, would be a big gain for Microsoft, and a proportionally small gain for Sony.

As platform holders you should expect them to leverage their userbases in a way that makes financial sense. For Microsoft and Nintendo, this makes sense, for Sony, it just makes competing platforms proportionally more appealing. Sony want people to buy their system to play with their users, to play within their ecosystem, they don't want people seeing other platforms as a means of saying 'Oh I don't need to get a PS4 now, because I can play with Barry on my tablet'.

Maybe if it turns out that this works well, and they will get access to the PC userbase, they might come around, but I very much doubt they have any significant interest in cross platform play with either console.

This makes no sense. PC and Mobile have much larger installed bases than PS4, yet Sony opted out.

Now that all of the ecosystems are combined, PS4s installed base is a drop in the bucket.

As such, Sony isn't leveraging shit. They are just encouraging people to buy other versions of the game than are objectively better and provide more bang for buck.

Cerium

This makes no sense. PC and Mobile have much larger installed bases than PS4.

Now that all of the ecosystems are combined, PS4s installed base is a drop in the bucket.
Honestly I think Nintendo comes out as the big winner here. This is above and beyond what anyone expected on Switch. Japan is going to go apeshit.

TheYanger

None of the console install bases even remotely approach mobile and PC. Even if your argument were true, saying that they wouldn't do it for that reason is still NOT POSITIVE FOR THE PLAYER. in any capacity.

Flintty

Lol this is one of the best yet. Right up there with the spying theory.

gamz

This makes no sense man. Sorry...

I, too, have no sense of perspective.

LNBL

oh-jesus-christ.gif

MUnited83

For you.

The minecraft userbase of the cross-platforms combined is vastly bigger than PS4.

Elandyll

Banned
What other info do we actually need? like, if MS wanted to deny PS4 Minecraft they would've just done that, not deny them a free update. There's 0 chance that this has anything to do with anyone but Sony.
Generally when an accusation is levied (by a biased source on top of that) you would at least give a chance to the accused party to respond before declaring guilt.

Trup1aya

when rocket league was announced for xbone, the exact same thing happened. but mS had a change of heart, apparently

What exactly was the timeline for Rocket League's situation.

I remember: it was announced for Xbox, w/o cross-play. No word on if Sony wanted crossplay with Xbox.

Then shortly after, MS announced that they were opening up their xbl API so that any network could interact with Xbox live, and that Rocket League would be the first to support it.

Then everyone started speculating about FINALLY being able to settle the console war in game, but when Sony was asked about it, there stance shifted from being 'Open to it' to being 'open to talk about it'.

Psyonic immediately did the work to allow crossplay between PC Xbox and PS4, and simply needed Sony's to give them the go ahead to push the button, but it never happened.

I don't know if Sony was every truly open to crossplay with Xbox. But MS' refusal to interact with ANY another networks made it easy for Sony to say they were open to it. The very moment MS openned up, Sony backed away from the table.

This is amazing.

What exactly was the timeline for Rocket League's situation.

I remember: it was announced for Xbox, w/o cross-play. No word on if Sony wanted crossplay with Xbox.

Then shortly after, MS announced that they were opening up their xbl API so that any network could interact with Xbox live, and that Rocket League would be the first to support it.

Then everyone started speculating about FINALLY being able to settle the console war in game, but when Sony was asked about it, there stance shifted from being 'Open to it' to being 'open to talk about it'.

Psyonic immediately did the work to allow crossplay between PC Xbox and PS4, and simply needed Sony's to give them the go ahead to push the button, but it never happened.

I don't know if Sony was every truly open to crossplay with Xbox. But MS' refusal to interact with ANY another networks made it easy for Sony to say they were open to it. The very moment MS openned up, Sony backed away from the table.

i'll just leave a link here to the previous thread. i was an active participant there too, maybe the most.

i don't care who isn't a proponent for crossplay; whichever conglomerate, they need to change their minds. mS did, now wtf sony.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187959726#post187959726

Top Bottom