• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony stops shipments of PS Vita in the Netherlands

Daedardus

There isn't any online store in the Benelux selling PS Vita's, or at not least the big ones when I was trying to find a good deal. In stores the stock situation is the same, I saw the same five units disappearing over time in what should be one of the biggest stores in the country.

JordanN

Banned
On a technical level it still is, games on it still look incredible. Sony are just giving up on a great product, of which i'm convinced is their fault in the first place with it's propriety memory card BS.

As a long time Vita defender, the memory cards were not the reason it failed.

Vita's death is because:
1. All the AAA titles failed. COD, Uncharted, Gravity Rush and the rest didn't do much to move units. This lead to...

2. Vita turning into an indie/niche japanese game machine. These titles do not sell to the masses and as a result, Vita itself cannot sell.

Clive

But Vita means life. :(

Like others have pointed out, with the recent surge of half-assed old indie ports the sales have probably shot through the roof and Sony is struggling to keep up with demand. That has gotta be it, right?

Peterc

I think handheld gaming will stop for Sony. Instead they will focus on VR.
But it's risky, we don't know if VR will work on consoles. Also supporting more than 1 console with exclusives like wiiu and 3ds is difficult to maintain.

Ray Down

Banned
I think handheld gaming will stop for Sony. Instead they will focus on VR.
But it's risky, we don't know if VR will work on consoles. Also supporting more than 1 console with exclusives like wiiu and 3ds is difficult to maintain.

This has been clear for some time now.

UberTag

You know, this really was the last of them.
With the way the NX rumor mill has shifted of late, this may actually be the case (unless you count the New 3DS which I don't).
Instead of handhelds, console manufacturers now want to support VR and multiple .5 iterations of their existing platforms.

Linkark07

Banned
LOicMJA.gif

Gonna hug my Vita.

Tenebrous

As a long time Vita defender, the memory cards were not the reason it failed.

Vita's death is because:
1. All the AAA titles failed. COD, Uncharted, Gravity Rush and the rest didn't do much to move units. This lead to...

2. Vita turning into an indie/niche japanese game machine. These titles do not sell to the masses and as a result, Vita itself cannot sell.

I don't think 1 or 2 are the biggest issues.

Biggest issue was the complete lack of handheld games. If Sony still had the rights to publish Monster Hunter, or invested in an RPG similar to Yokai Watch/Pokemon, the device would've done better. The idea of portable console games confused me at launch, and still does.

Still bummed at all the promises that weren't delivered with the Vita... It stopped me from trusting gaming makers day one. Just not worth it and checked some sites here in Netherlands and indeed its gone everywhere it seems.

Man this thing flopped..

Peltz

To this day I still very rarely have ever touched my Vita. It's cool in theory and I had some fun with it, but it really never felt like a unique platform in the same way that 3DS did. I never think "I wish I had my Vita on this bus ride right now" the same way I think that about my 3DS.

I'm not really sure what went wrong so fast with the platform.

Just checked an online price comparison site in Switzerland and there's barely any shop selling them and 0 have one in stock, it's over ;(

JordanN

Banned
I don't think 1 or 2 are the biggest issues.

Biggest issue was the complete lack of handheld games. If Sony still had the rights to publish Monster Hunter, or invested in an RPG similar to Yokai Watch/Pokemon, the device would've done better. The idea of portable console games confused me at launch, and still does.
What do you think the AAA games I listed were? It's not possible for Sony or other 3rd party developers to just drop any game on the system.

The handheld being a PS3-lite essentially drove development costs up. Recall this also lead to Vita games costing $50 at release, putting it in closer competition with home console games.

This problem also affected the 3DS as even Capcom wanted their games to cost more but doubled down on it when it received backlash (RE: Revelations).

Abdiel

Think Sony are really making a mistake with this. Release a new SKU with a standard slot for an SD memory card throw in a couple of games and they'd sell shit loads. The Vita could well make a comeback but Sony yet again giving up on something that's not an immediate success. Disappointing.

No, it wouldn't sell shit loads. It would be a brief blip of those enthusiasts who wanted sd support as the only barrier to buying one. That's it. No one knows the vita exists. It was a handheld created for a market that had vanished into the nether outside of Japan.

Anyone who says what you've said there with any certainty has never worked retail. The vita was basically dead since launch. That's the reality. Sony could only have thrown more money into a pit. It would have at least made fans feel better, but it would have been a stupid business move, which is why they didn't bother.

I love my vita. Is vastly superior to the 3ds in terms of hardware. But the market doesn't give a shit, and it never did.

Faenix1

Wish I bought a 32 GB card when I had the spare money. Even though the thought of spending $80 CDN for one made me noxious. But now they are approaching $100 so I'm officially retarded.

I have to admit, I would have thought shipments of the Vita would have at least continued into 2017. If they are stopping shipments in Holland, the rest of the world might join them by the end of the year. I wonder if this will cause a surge of interest in getting the Vita now?

I thought there was still a load of games coming out for the vita? That not the case?

There are still games coming out for the Vita, but the Vita itself is slowing/stopping its shipments. We'll likely see games come out for the Vita over the next couple of years before that eventually slows/ stops as well.

I wonder if they'll still release a final revision akin to the PSP E1000.

Anyway, it survived longer than a lot of people on this forum expected and it will still be getting games for the next year or two.

Personally, it was the system that came at a time in my life when playing was mostly only viable during commute/travel. I got way more out of this little system than I ever expected.

logh72.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And so it begins

Pour one out for the little homie.

Such a shame. It is such a fantastic piece of hardware. It would be wonderful if Sony opened it up for general development since I could see it being a wonderful platform for years to come what with the power, the screen, dual analog sticks, touch areas.....

::SOB::

Would it be in poor taste to post the its happening gif....

But yea...I dont see Sony doing another handheld. Its one thing you gotta give Nintendo credit for with sticking with home consoles before the Wii launched.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sony did another handheld...and I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt.

As much as I love my new-old Vita, I understand why Sony will be discontinuing it. I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Truth is mobile is were its at. I nearly traded in my HTC One m8 for an Xperia Z3 Compact. The only thing that stopped me was the lack of PS-Now at the moment. I'm equally surprised PS-Now hasn't made it to Sony Android yet.

I recon by late-2017 or early-2018 I'll be ready to upgrade my phone. An Xperia will be the next model regardless, possibly a Z5 compact. Add a GCM10 holder for the phone and a DS4 controller and I'll probably be ready to donate the Vita to a needy Nephew.

As much as I hate saying it, because I think Vita's should be bundled with PS4's, the Xperia Smartphone is the new Vita.

emb

This makes me think, I need to start looking out for a cheap 2000 soon.

Pretty neat little game system, almost hate to see it start going down.

That's really sad, too bad the Vita had to end like this :(

Honest question, should I get a Vita 2000 and put it into a drawer for now? I have a OLED launch-unit with a 64gb card and a ton of Vita games which still functions perfectly but I'm afraid the natural OLED screen fading will eventually happen :/

U2NUMB

That's really sad, too bad the Vita had to end like this :(

Honest question, should I get a Vita 2000 and put it into a drawer for now? I have a OLED launch-unit with a 64gb card and a ton of Vita games which still functions perfectly but I'm afraid the natural OLED screen fading will eventually happen :/

I just bought a 2000 after owning an OLED since launch. I love the weight and battery life.. screen I can deal with but I knew it was a downgrade going into it.

I say go for it...

spons

Retail here in Holland ditched the Vita ages ago. Barely any games, no actual Vitas anywhere. This has been the case for at least half a year, if not longer.

Josh5890

I think Vita games will still come out through the life of the PS4 due to the ease and compatibility. After that I have a hard time seeing even the indies support it.

I just bought a 2000 after owning an OLED since launch. I love the weight and battery life.. screen I can deal with but I knew it was a downgrade going into it.

I say go for it...

That's encouraging to hear, yeah having a LCD screen will be a downgrade but I wouldn't use it anyway unless my OLED one will break down so I see it as a future investment.

Top Bottom