• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony stops shipments of PS Vita in the Netherlands

Goodnight, sweet prince.

I'll still play the hell out of mine, since I have about 20-ish PSP and PS1 games installed. Kinda sad to not see any new games for it in the future, though. Absolutely don't regret my purchase.

Wat

Zero Escape 3
New Danganronpa V3
Severed
Some Trails game or other
Ys 8

and that's without going into that Upcoming Vita Games thread

Sad to see it go :( it was a great handheld that suffered from a lack of support. So much potential we will never see realized :(

On a related note: please release the handheld NX this year Nintendo, I need a new handheld!

Yep, I'll have had my Vita for three years this year and it's given me some great experiences.

Maybe handhelds will be in vogue again in the next decade.

koutoru

It's pretty much been a dead handheld still supported by great software. If anything, it's a zombie.
Maybe handhelds will be in vogue again in the next decade.
Once we have handhelds that can actually natively download and run steam games (which we might actually get soon) , I can see renewed interest in them.

Banned
I remember the vita isn't dead crowd. Seems its thinned quite a bit.

Until the Vita is no longer played by anyone it will remain alive, same for any game console. In terms of developer support it has been disowned and shunned.

188073410-1-e1399011327227.jpg

Sony initially supported the vita well (the launch line up was superb but after the first few months) and let it rot.

Sony failed the Vita.

AY4L

Banned
was honestly considering buying a vita purely for mega man legends 2. Maybe I should hold off til I can get one for next to nothing

I fear the day they shut down the PS Store for Vita. My entire catalogue is digital.

thats not encouraging

Yasumi

Banned
Until the Vita is no longer played by anyone it will remain alive, same for any game console. In terms of developer support it has been disowned and shunned.

It's got plenty of developer support, with hundreds of games coming out this year. It just doesn't have first party support.

That's why you need to have a separate "Archive" card(s). Store only the best games on there so your children can experience them.

I should have clarified that Sony developer support was what I referred to.

Oh, yeah. That's a completely different matter, and I agree on that front. Sony failed the Vita indeed.

Producer

Vita just been having a very weak year and it seems like the last year for any notable releases both in the west and in japan. All the noteworthy upcoming games are either multiplat or late indie ports.

Vita games - 1328 (so far)
Dreamcast - 638 (LTD)

Pretty sure he means quality which he is right. Dreamcast not only had the first party support but great 3rd party games and perfect arcade ports.

Yasumi

Banned
Vita just been having a very weak year and it seems like the last year for any notable releases both in the west and in japan. All the noteworthy upcoming games are either multiplat or late indie ports.

Welcome to the future. This is exactly what NX releases are going to be like.

Library-wise I think the Dreamcast comes out ahead by a significant amount.

Personally disagree

Pretty sure he means quality which he is right. Dreamcast not only had the first party support but great 3rd party games and perfect arcade ports.

Please don't start this "But they're not exclusives so they don't count!" BS

I blame PS4.

The PS4 was doing ridiculously amazing, and Sony decided to put its energy all towards the PS4. Can you blame them? The Vita wasn't doing well in the first place. But that's also their fault.

I love mine though.

jbueno

I wonder if its the same here in Mexico. Haven't seen a single hardware unit in stock since January 2016, games and accesories are pretty damn scarce and given minimal shelf space, if at all.

shimrra

Maybe this explains Gamestop's moving PS Vita from the front page to the "More" drop down. I am going to have to look up where to get replacement parts, does anyone know a site where I can find PS Slim analog sticks?

Bolivar687

Banned
Not sure what this changes, the Vita will remain in the same state it's been in for the last few years - lots of great indies and Japanese games with the occasinal port from big publishers. Vita just got X-Com.

I know some people need to construe this as the beginning of the end but there's already been a few of those yet it's continued to support its wonderful niche.

Producer

Welcome to the future. This is exactly what NX releases are going to be like.

Well i expect nx to at least have some first party support. And other 3rd party franchises like MH and Megaten/EO

Please don't start this "But they're not exclusives so they don't count!" BS

But i never said anything like that? Just saying every release probably has a better version on ps4 or pc. Makes the vita version less enticing, at least for me.

At this point, I'm mostly waiting for the Vita to die officially so that people can start the work of cracking the thing wide open for good. I want a PPSSPP Vita Edition so I can play my library of Vita games on a phone or PC without worrying about buying another 64GB card to hold it all. I want to be able to put my fan-translated copy of Valkyria Chronicles 3 on a Vita without worrying about upgrading to a new firmware that locks everything out.

The Vita has a good library of games that's worth preserving, even if the handheld itself had only a tenuous grasp on life outside of Japan. Hell, I somehow have Vita games still coming to me this year, though I think past 2016 almost every Vita game worth owning will also be available on other platforms. It's a great handheld that suffered from a poor business case.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Such a great little handheld. Sony did wrong opting for proprietary memory cards and for not even caring to support it. This is all on Sony.

hesido

I'm sad.

Sony should make a final patch that allows ordinary sd cards, via an adapter that is totally left to third parties. Of course, they don't give a damn.

Producer

Vita is portable system, PC and PS4 are not — this is a huge difference for me.

yeah portability is a big factor for some people, and generally i do prefer it too but when it comes at the expense of fps/performance or gameplay features, ill just go for the console or pc version instead.

Bolivar687

Banned
Vita is portable system, PC and PS4 are not — this is a huge difference for me.

I've also found the shorter sticks to be better for a lot of the twitchy indie games. It's definitely my platform of choice for a lot of these titles.

I'm always surprised when I read people chastise the Vita's library for having multiplatform games. The best titles on the 360 all had better versions on PC yet I've never heard a similar claim made there.

jwk94

I've also found the shorter sticks to be better for a lot of the twitchy indie games. It's definitely my platform of choice for a lot of these titles.

I'm always surprised when I read people chastise the Vita's library for having multiplatform games. The best titles on the 360 all had better versions on PC yet I've never heard a similar claim made there.

Some people just don't have any interest in a PC for gaming.

I have a Vita and was huge on it toward the beginning, then the library started thinning out to indies and niche, Japanese anime-ish games which I wasn't interested in or could get on my PS4. At this point, it collects dust. I'd love to put more time in my Vita, but it just seems pointless if I can get the same indie game and a much more varied library on my PS4.

I've been considering buying one recently (UK) and nowhere seems to be selling them. Most sites don't even have a Vita section anymore.

Amazon it's mostly Marketplace sellers. The only stock you can buy from them directly is massively overpriced.

Shame on Sony for letting it die off like this without comment.

And so begins the end of an era

No_Style

Still have mine but it never resonated with me like my 3DS. I played a bit of PSABR on it but most of its time as a P4 Golden machine for my bro.

This is why I don't see Vita as the Dreamcast of handhelds.

Dreamcast had Sega going out on all cylinders to produce mega budget and creative games, in addition to support from traditional publishers large and small. The first party distinction is a big one, but also Dreamcast was a product of its time.

Of course it's going to have half the games as the Vita, because this was before digital distribution and lower barriers to entry for independent and garage developers.

Vita has a markedly different type of games library to what the Dreamcast garnered, and while there has been some crossover I don't see many similarities given how the platform holder treated each system respectfully and the circumstances behind each system's demise on the market.

Really, you'd get a Vita situation for any format that's left to linger without a successor provided it's still selling relatively well in one territory.

I hope NX handheld revitalises the handheld market a bit, it's stagnated in recent times. Games are still good, and the big sequels on 3DS are decent, but I'm just about ready to move on now.

I do think there's still a need for a handheld, provided it takes the right approach. Commoditised hardware that can play commoditised games you can get on any platform clearly doesn't work - there is no perceived value it would seem to the masses.

Peltz

Todays phones can emulate everything pre-dreamcast.
Legality aside, there is less need for any kind of dedicated handheld than ever before.
And i have a windows tab, steam games are very hit and miss without access to a pad, keyboard and mouse.
To me, this is a very narrow view of what handheld gaming is or should be.

There is still room for innovation in hanheld gaming. Just look at street pass last gen. It was a really cool thing that could only be done on a handheld system.

Level design for handhelds is also a very unique beast.

Everyone who wants a Vita has one. Putting R&D into making a new Vita model is wasted money.

If people wanted a Vita, they'd deal with the memory card situation, adding an SD card is not going to change Vita's fortunes.

I say this as a Vita and PSTV owner.

I'd actually totally but another Vita if it bad XC support. I've got 3 64 GB memory cards and the Vita really isn't designed for it (it sometimes downloads updates on the wrong card).

Top Bottom