• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony stops shipments of PS Vita in the Netherlands

JordanN

Banned
Such a great little handheld. Sony did wrong opting for proprietary memory cards and for not even caring to support it. This is all on Sony.

I think Sony pouring support into Vita would have meant costs being taken from somewhere.

Just look at how they killed Evolution Studios despite them making games for the infinitely more successful PS4. It's probable more studios would be closed or have their funding cut if resources had to be drawn to save Vita.

casiopao

I've also found the shorter sticks to be better for a lot of the twitchy indie games. It's definitely my platform of choice for a lot of these titles.

I'm always surprised when I read people chastise the Vita's library for having multiplatform games. The best titles on the 360 all had better versions on PC yet I've never heard a similar claim made there.

Because vita version of the multiplatform is not the better version?

Famassu

Such a great little handheld. Sony did wrong opting for proprietary memory cards and for not even caring to support it. This is all on Sony.
Sony supported it plenty. I don't see how much more they could've done alone. They released a lot of games for it from old well established franchises as well as completely new IPs, games that didn't compromise much as well as games that were made more with portability in mind. Mainstream stuff as well as more niche releases. Big & small. And they really pushed the indie incentive.

They just couldn't justify continuing that kind of support much past the first 2,5+ years because the games were selling like shit. And it's hard to convince 3rd parties to release anything too significant either when their games sell like shit as well.

It's the handheld market that is to "blame." The audience simply wasn't there & wouldn't have been there no matter what Sony did. If you think proprietary memory cards killed Vita, think again. Memory hasn't always been all that cheap. PSP's standardized memory cards were still expensive at the time of PSP's launch and memory cards in the PS1 & PS2 age were even more expensive, relatively-speaking, unless you bought some third party shit that broke easily or often had other problems, yet PS2 was the most successful one of them all.

Thank you very much for that thought-provoking well argued post, NeoGAF is a better place for your presence in it.
I like optimism. Your suggestion of a simple new version of Vita selling "shitloads" and revitalizing Vita is borderline delusional, however. Maybe it would sell some thousands of units for the first month or two, but then sales would die down in a month or two.

And Sony still keeping Vita alive during its fifth year is not them abandoning it too soon. They've kept it going as long as they could. No new hardware revision or major push for games is going to save it anymore.

marmoka

Banned
Is this the beginning of the end? Or just problems with stock because the console sells better in Benelux than the rest of Europe?

Great. Now I feel as if I was carrying a corpse in my bag.

What worries me is what I am supposed to do with it now. I already went through most of the must play titles and I'm not that much into jrpg's and niche japanese titles, but I don't feel like downgrading to 3DS and the crappy resolution.

I suppose it will still live for me while I have unplayed PSP and PSOne stuff, but damn. Handheld future looks bleak now unless Nintendo does not screw up again.

BONKERS

Sony supported it plenty. I don't see how much more they could've done alone. They released a lot of games for it from old well established franchises as well as completely new IPs, games that didn't compromise much as well as games that were made more with portability in mind. Mainstream stuff as well as more niche releases. Big & small. And they really pushed the indie incentive.

They just couldn't justify continuing that kind of support much past the first 2,5+ years because the games were selling like shit. And it's hard to convince 3rd parties to release anything too significant either when their games sell like shit as well.

It's the handheld market that is to "blame." The audience simply wasn't there & wouldn't have been there no matter what Sony did. If you think proprietary memory cards killed Vita, think again. Memory hasn't always been all that cheap. PSP's standardized memory cards were still expensive at the time of PSP's launch and memory cards in the PS1 & PS2 age were even more expensive, relatively-speaking, unless you bought some third party shit that broke easily or often had other problems, yet PS2 was the most successful one of them all.

I like optimism. Your suggestion of a simple new version of Vita selling "shitloads" and revitalizing Vita is borderline delusional, however. Maybe it would sell some thousands of units for the first month or two, but then sales would die down in a month or two.

And Sony still keeping Vita alive during its fifth year is not them abandoning it too soon. They've kept it going as long as they could. No new hardware revision or major push for games is going to save it anymore.

It's more than just the memory cards that killed the Vita. (Though making the comparison to the PS1/PS2 and even PSP isn't valid at all. Differences in storage technology and pricing. The PSP used a format that already existed and readily available in a time where Downloadable Games weren't even a thing yet. And when they were, prices had dropped so low it was insignificant. If you weren't pirating, you could get away with using the included 32MB for a long time)
Sony killed the Vita before it even launched with poor choices in every department.

I could list tons of reasons as why. But i'm sure you'll debate it.
The fact of the matter is no one is to blame but Sony. If the market wasn't there, the 3DS wouldn't be so successful. But it is. And the Vita isn't as successful. When it could have been.

Top Bottom