• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

Tobor

The only Sony products I buy are Playstation products, so this sounds great to me.

Cutting down the TV lineup is long overdue.

geordiemp

Sony TVs are so overpriced, ain't nobody buying a Sony TV.

I bought a W905 last year.

Best gaming TV on the market.

Samsungs and LG's have horrible input lag = TV only

Problem is they don't market these benefits very well - you have to find out by reading stuff like HDTV test

The processing in Sony and Panny Tv's is great and fast.

I would love a 1080p OLED with fast image processing and low input lag. There are no options in the market at the moment.

Sony please,,,

I just don't understand why people aren't buying Sony phones. I can forgive America because they are always slow to release there and have stupid carrier exclusivity deals but man, the rest of the world is making a giant mistake by not going Sony. They are blatantly the best unless you absolutely must have vanilla Android.

TVs are incredible as well but yes, pricing is a huge issue for them.

curb

Banned
Maybe. This early on, it's hard to tell. However, the PS4 has the leading market share of the consoles right now. If they can capture more Playstation Plus members, broaden their services like Playstation Music/Vue/Now across all of their Sony brands (Vita/PS4/Sony TVs), or third parties (iOS/Android), they might be on to something.

I know we'll never get it but I'd love some detailed numbers on how PS+ does. Subscribers, retention, downloading habits are all things I'd love to know more about. Same goes for Xbox Live.

NickFire

Although I always checked out Sony's offerings, I purchased only Samsung TV's for eons now because the price for the quality just couldn't be beat. But I've always wondered whether Sony couldn't afford to compete on price better, or simply refused to reduce margins because of a lack of foresight. If the latter, it's a real shame.

Nope I saw it, I just don't have any faith that they'll handle it any better than PlayStation Now. That quote also makes it sound like their plan is to milk PS4 owners with non-gaming related services which I thought we hated around these parts.

I wanted to hear that they were planning on raising revenue by making the PS4 a more successful gaming platform honestly.

It's one of multiple things they're doing. They're not suddenly 'hurrrr non-gaming!"

The slides are here :

http://imgur.com/a/i5Ae3

Sony said it was aiming to boost sales for its videogame division by a quarter to as much as 1.6 trillion yen ($13.6 billion)

That's a lot.

giphy.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I like Bravia. the W9 series is great for gaming with it's super low input lag. oh well.

I guess Sony Pictures will be the next on Kaz's scythe.

They actually have some of the best damn tvs around. Price wise I agree with you. But Sony TVs are nothing if not quality sets.

I am a huge Sony product fan, almost everything in my entertainment center is Sony, however there is very little difference I can see in image quality versus Samsung and Samsung is generally cheaper.
Sony built high end tvs but the market for such things has changed.

Chinner

Banned
I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.

Justified

Is this mean they cut the whole TV & Mobile or they just don't make too much model anymore?

Yea they are keeping the Divisions, just cutting back on them.

I'm actually anxious to see the New TV lineup since they all will be built with Android TV. Also the Xperia line is looking better and better, plus with Sony opening there devices up to the Dev community.

Yikes didn't know about input lag til this thread. I always put my ps4 and xbone on "game mode" when I play. Maybe that helps a little or my eyes are just untrained to the whole situation.

Begaria

I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.

futuramafry.jpg

tbm24

Yea they are keeping the Divisions, just cutting back on them.

I'm actually anxious to see the New TV lineup since they all will be built with Android TV. Also the Xperia line is look better and better, plus with Sony opening there devices up to the Dev community.

Thanks for the clarification.

Oh you.

wapplew

I just don't understand why people aren't buying Sony phones. I can forgive America because they are always slow to release there and have stupid carrier exclusivity deals but man, the rest of the world is making a giant mistake by not going Sony. They are blatantly the best unless you absolutely must have vanilla Android.

TVs are incredible as well but yes, pricing is a huge issue for them.

Not really, Z series each have one or two flaws with it, they never put every tech they own into one phone ever,just because they don't want hurt other product sales.
Z3 is pretty close though.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
lol isn't it basically...

Sony: PS4 please save us!!!!

Which admittedly seems to be happening. Their stock hasn't been this high in years, right?

antibolo

Banned
Sony's TVs are generally very good regarding input lag, so I hope they'll continue making them for a while.

Hopefully somebody else will eventually replace them, but right now they seem to be the only manufacturer who truly cares about input lag.

And no one is talking about the cameras, which is what I'm interested in. Glad that they're not considering ditching those, I love my Sony camera and hope to (someday) upgrade to an A7.

They needed to cut TV a long time ago considering they inability to compete price wise and quality wise with Samsung.

Quality wise no. Sony's TV's continue to get glowing reviews, they're just as good in the AV market as they've historically been known for. Their problem is Samsung's marketing has been far, far better.

TomShoe

Banned

LOL.

People that like Sony have nothing to worry about .
This is something people have been saying they should have done years ago .
Get out of the volume market for a while and just think about making profit .
Cut down the number of TV and Phone they making , the low end phones is why the lose some much money this year .

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's a change of scenery for Sony in regards to growth and profitability for Sony in their gaming business comparatively to the first few years of the PS3 & PSP era. I'm happy for them :)

However, what was the purpose of buying Ericson's stake in their mobile division, only to cut back on their investment years later? They bought it for a billion, only to have a markdown of a billion the following year?

Granted, it is an extremely competitive environment with Samsung and Apple dominating so I can see why they would want to do that, but they should have seen that eventuality back then.

curb

Banned
Top Bottom