• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.

Does this count as trolling? It has to, surely...

Xando

I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.

tumblr_lthhihJULx1r4alnuo1_500.jpg

It's a change of scenery for Sony in regards to growth and profitability for Sony in their gaming business comparatively to the first few years of the PS3 & PSP era. I'm happy for them :)

However, what was the purpose of buying Ericson's stake in their mobile division, only to cut back on their investment years later? They bought it for a billion, only to have a markdown of a billion the following year?

Granted, it is an extremely competitive environment with Samsung and Apple dominating so I can see why they would want to do that, but they should have seen that eventuality back then.

Sony has been extremely incompetent in most of their divisions for over 10 years. Their Ericsons abomination is no different.

kind of disappointing. Sony TVs and smartphones have been pure quality in my experience. But if this is just temporary to make profit over the next 3 years then more power to em.

Patapwn

This is a terrible post with lots of nonsense. You should really know better

unless sarcasm?

Destroying is such a reach. Also UK is not ALL of Europe

geordiemp

Why don't sony bring out a series of TV called Gaming TV's.

Cut out the crap smart / other features, no one cares.

All 1080p and 10 ms input lag.

Competitive proce, good IQ

God imagine a 1080p 50inch OLED with 10ms input lag...it would fly

kadotsu

Banned
I would buy a new TV if it had actually a feature I would need, like G-Sync, DisplayPort and Bluetooth headphone support.

geordiemp

So obvious troll its just funny (as you meant it).

Not as good as Verendus...

That sounds like exactly the sort of smart feature you just said they should cut.

I thought they'd been planning to get rid of their TV business for bloody years? It's been a millstone around their next since forever, hasn't it?

I hope they keep making their top-end Xperia phones. I just got an Xperia Z3 Compact last month and it's superb. Were it me I'd release one high-end and one mid-range line of phones per year.

vort3x

It would be nice if their phones were available on all the providers. I wanted to get the Xperia but Sprint doesn't support it. Ofcourse they just recently announced that z3 will be coming to sprint.

Just bought a sony tv recently mainly because of the input lag. Picture quality is very nice too.

I was a very very anti-sony person. Every sony product I ever bought (ps1, camcorder, tv, stereo) died within the first 9 months so it left a very bad impression in my mouth. This is the first year I've bought a sony product in over 14 years. Also I didn't technically buy it, I used Bestbuy points to get it. Either way if this shit breaks I'm never buying sony again. I am envious of the xperia phones though. They look friggin sweet.

antibolo

Banned

It's pretty ludicrous that nobody in the entire TV industry has actually catered to the console gaming market yet. Buying a large TV with minimal input lag in 2014 is still tricky business, and it's going to get even worse when Sony pulls out of that market since they were arguably the best so far.

I thought they'd been planning to get rid of their TV business for bloody years? It's been a millstone around their next since forever, hasn't it?

I hope they keep making their top-end Xperia phones. I just got an Xperia Z3 Compact last month and it's superb. Were it me I'd release one high-end and one mid-range line of phones per year.

They better keep making TVs, their TVs are still the best for me.

Their current TVs are great for gaming.

I really hope Sony goes for the true high end tv customer. They make some quality tvs now, but I'd really like to see them produce even higher quality tvs at a higher price. I'm willing to pay for a truly high end LCD with low input lag.

wapplew

No point for mid range phone, that market belongs to China OEM. Just focus on high end, Z series 4.3, 5, 8 and 10 inch.

Sony, how about make some affordable tvs? I mean yeah make top of the line tvs but also make some cheaper models to compete with vizio and Samsung.

Facism

chinner caught so many of you in his net that he has to toss some of you back into the sea, as per EU fishing regulations.

Actually its $800. But still, it has my eye.

Thing that's holding me back is that I have a perfectly fine 42 inch Visio that I have no issues with. But those extra inches, man.
Seriously, if you have the cash, get one.
Having a 60" TV .... you will never go back to 40 or 50 :p
(The reason why my new TV is 80" ;P)

Less phones, focus on highend. Same thing which Samsung revealed recently and where LG/Apple already are.

Tiny steps, years too late.

Yeah there is no way they can compete with Huawei and all those other Chinese companies. low end phones is now a race to the bottom.

Ironically, I actually won my PS4 because I bought a Sony TV. I love my 50" W829.

I bought that TV last month, after having a 32inch Bravia for 8 years. It's so fucking good, but my one regret is that I notice that I could've just about fit a 55inch in my room. Ah well, the money saved is probably worth it.

SgtCobra

Why not? They're great games and SONY IP's :p
They sure are, I was just curious why they'd put those three games together.
Puppeteer and Demons Souls were IGC games at one point and would Bloodborne be the beta?

Instant Game Collection titles.

Bloodborne image is an example of priority beta/alpha, etc.
Aah okay, thanks for clarifying that. I had no idea what IGC meant in this occasion.

Elandyll

Banned
With what we know, Sony is actually geared to do a lot better in the 2015-2016 calendar than they have in the recent past.

* They finally got rid of the useless and loss leading PC division.

* They spun off the TV division which now has to float on its own or sink. Trimming the fat in the TV sets is a much better idea than trying to be everything and everywhere at any cost.
If like Panasonic they can aim mostly for the higher margin (but lesser volume) high end, they should be able to do fine. Having high volumes of unsold low cost TVs in inventory was definitely not fine (can't really sell your $350 32" Sony TV to Joe Blow when he can't see the difference with the Emerson TV of the same size but at $225. And more often than not, for the average user, there were little to no difference with a Sammy set of the same size at $299).

* Where the normally profitable Tablet/ Cell phone busines really hurt them in 2013-2014 is because they did not have big carriers selling them in NA (not sure about Europe). Lack of advertising also hurt them, but for the longest time it was simply not an option to find the most recent Xperia products at a reasonable cost in the US. Now? The Z3 is present with most large carriers (I know it's at least with T-Mobile and Verizon) at the same cost as any other flagship phone. Heck, back in August when comapring all my options (coming from a Motorola Razzr Max) I wanted a Z3 but couldn't get it with Verizon, so I fell back on a Note 3. I now wish I had waited.

* PS4 is selling great worldwide, and carriying along (most importantly) services. Bringing Remoteplay and PS Now to other devices was very much needed, good for them that they finally went there.
Now if they could make Music and Video Unlimited truly appealing, they'd have something really special (not holding my breath though).

* The imaging division will do fine as long as people buy video cameras and phones with cameras.

* The Finances division will probably continue to do fine, and at least maybe won't have to carry the whole comapny from now on, baring a financial collapse which I think is unlikely in the near future.

Imo, it's probably time to buy (if you're into stock options). Probably won't get any lower than it has been in the recent past, and will actually probably go up from now on.

Disclaimer: I'm no professional Analyst. Just a guy who has Bloomberg TV in his office all day long ;)

jakncoke

Banned
About time they focus on less models. Instead of having like 30 on the market(idk how many exactly but it seems like a fuck ton) they could focus on few and try and make so they are profitable.

Top Bottom