• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to cut TV, Smartphone lineup; sees growth in PlayStation, image sensors

timlot

Banned
Remember, Apple are one of Sony's biggest customers for image sensors. The iPhone uses Sony cameras.

And if Apple decides to start making its own image sensors for the next iPhone/iPads. There will be a repeat of this...
Sony-executives-apologise-007.jpg

No point for mid range phone, that market belongs to China OEM. Just focus on high end, Z series 4.3, 5, 8 and 10 inch.

I don't see the point in creating mid range phones either, for different reasoning though. When you create a top tier phone (Z3, being their latest example) it automatically becomes mid-tier the year later anyway.

So at the moment Sony could sell Xperia Z and Z1 and "mid-range" despite originally being released and high-end. Longer shelf life for each device.

If you deliberately set out to make a mid-tier phone you are just sending it to an early grave, it'll be unusable and shit in no time.

This explains why they opted for a 6month new flagship strategy instead of the common 1year output...

I think the mobile division is desperate as they know they'll be cut off if they don't turn a profit.

Sony mobiles are pretty underrated, courtesy of plastic crap from Samsung and overpriced overhyped with not-up-to-the-buck performance phones by Apple.

LQX

It has always puzzled me how Sony seemingly could compete with Samsung when it came to televisions. Nearly the same features back in the day and yet $200-$300 more. I so wanted my first LCD a few years ago to be Sony but I just could not justify the markup.

rawd

Love all my Sony TV sets... I actually wish my 52XBR4 would die so I could buy a new LED one ... I may have to accidentally throw something at it one day

Jonboy

I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.
Joke post?

Joke post.

rawd

I'm genuinely worried for Sony. It's a well known fact that Sony has been floating on the verge financial collapse for awhile now, but relying on the Playstation brand is a little crazy when it's not a high profit sector anyway. It's a gamble that won't pay off even if it goes to plan.

I suppose for Microsoft this could be the killer move. It's been reported that since the price cuts that the Xbox One has been destroying the Playstation in North American and Europe. If Microsoft can pull of the killer blow this upcoming year, I could seriously see the Xbox One killing Sony.

If it were to happen, I can see Sony selling virtually everything except for the high profit sectors like Insurance. Dare I say, that we could see Naughty Dog being sold to Microsoft along with the IPs? This could genuinely be an exciting generation for Microsoft gamers, with Last of Us 2 or Uncharted 5 coming to the Xbox One entertainment system.

Ferguton

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Playstation isnt the only thing keeping Sony afloat........

Who said it was the only thing keeping Sony afloat? I am just saying that Sony is banking on the success of the thing and even moreso in future. Which seems to pay off.

Funny, isn't it!?
People talking about stuff they have no clue about.

Well induldge me with your superior knowledge then. Why am I apparently talking out of my ass?

geordiemp

They better keep making TVs, their TVs are still the best for me.

Their current TVs are great for gaming.

Not really, their last great TV for gaming was 2013's W905 at 1080p (or 955 or whatever it was in USA).

The flagship W9 series 2014 model they changed the panel and lost the blacks.

The W8 does not have trilluminous and other nice IQ stuff.

So you either go mid tier in 1080p or have to go 4K with Sony, and I don't want 40 ms input lag 4K for gaming thanks.

I am looking for a second 50 inch gaming TV to go next to my W905....cant find one - there is NOTHING.

Busty

Banned

Yeah..., that's the spirit son.

penny-dance-party.gif

MercuryLS

Banned
Sony relying on PS4 for their profits is not smart, it's not a big enough market to sustain their sprawling business. I worry for Sony's future, their other businesses are burning money.

Not really, their last great TV for gaming was 2013's W905 at 1080p (or 955 or whatever it was in USA).

The flagship W9 series 2014 model they changed the panel and lost the blacks.

The W8 does not have trilluminous and other nice IQ stuff.

So you either go mid tier in 1080p or have to go 4K with Sony, and I don't want 40 ms input lag 4K for gaming thanks.

I am looking for a second 50 inch gaming TV to go next to my W905....cant find one - there is NOTHING.

The W8 is what I have. Pray tell about this IQ stuff...so it would've made the jagginess go away in GTAV?

And if Apple decides to start making its own image sensors for the next iPhone/iPads. There will be a repeat of this...
Sony-executives-apologise-007.jpg

This picture has always creeped me out, their backs seem un-naturally arched.

Add me to the chorus of Sony TV fans. Feature-wise they might be the same as Samsung, but aesthetically they've always looked looked better to me. Of course, that's totally subjective. And the quality has never let me down. A friend of mine bought an old Bravia from me 3 years ago - it's still running great.

geordiemp

The W8 is what I have. Pray tell about this IQ stuff...so it would've made the jagginess go away in GTAV?

wat, the IQ of the game is what it is mate.

The W8 was OK but missed all the colour and sound enhancements of the previous years W900 series.

But the W8 is the best they have in 2014 unless you could find the sold out last years model.

The colours, blacks and image is better on last years 1080p model than this years - that is what I meant.

Kill3r7

Sony relying on PS4 for their profits is not smart, it's not a big enough market to sustain their sprawling business. I worry for Sony's future, their other businesses are burning money.

They are not. The incredible success of the PS4 is a huge positive for sure but it pails in comparison to their financial services.

EL CUCO

9kONtzB.jpg

Toki767

Hopefully this means they only release 1 flagship phone per year and then the compact version of it. So 2 phones per year max instead of like 5 or 6.

wat, the IQ of the game is what it is mate.

The W8 was OK but missed all the colour and sound enhancements of the previous years W900 series.

But the W8 is the best they have in 2014 unless you could find the sold out last years model.

The colours, blacks and image is better on last years 1080p model than this years - that is what I meant.

Fair enough. Yes I know that the blacks are better in the W9. I thought W9 was the high tier, and W8 was the mid tier, didn't think there was a difference in their years of release?

Hopefully this means they only release 1 flagship phone per year and then the compact version of it. So 2 phones per year max instead of like 5 or 6.

Nah 3 versions. The Ultra as well.

I think this is great news. They have some great and quality offerings and now they can focus on those instead of flooding the market and hoping to squeeze market share.

Justified

Who said it was the only thing keeping Sony afloat? I am just saying that Sony is banking on the success of the thing and even moreso in future. Which seems to pay off.

Well induldge me with your superior knowledge then. Why am I apparently talking out of my ass?

lol isn't it basically...

Sony: PS4 please save us!!!!

You are the one who insinuated that this move is Sony relying on the PlayStation division to be their "savior"

Remember, Apple are one of Sony's biggest customers for image sensors. The iPhone uses Sony cameras.
Don't forget: Sony's cameras are fucking awesome.
For several years already.
RX100 anybody?

Your issue is you have no idea what you're talk about.

Percy

Banned
Sorry to break it to you guys, but I'm pretty sure Chinner is bang on the money with that post.

It's gonna happen. MS Naughty Dog purchase is a question of 'when' not 'if'.

I've had 3 televisions my entire life. All were Samsungs and have far better image quality. What now?

I dunno... you go continue your meltdown in that Square-Enix thread? Haha
jk

Seriously though, if you've only had three Samsung TVs your entire life, how do you know they have "better" anything than any other TV on the market when you've had nothing to compare them to?

I love Sony electronics. Been a Sony Ericsson user for years and I intend to stay that way (if not, Windows Phone). I also really love their headphones...

Will they pull out of the mobile industry? I hope not.

ItIsOkBro

I always see this but I don't feel they are that bad. Sony TVs are still my go to TV brand. Not sure what I would get if they completely got out of the TV business to be honest as I'm not a fan of Samsung.

Their tvs are actually among some of the best for gaming, and you're not playing the panel lottery like you tend to with a samsung.

Gaming modes have been getting progressively worse on tvs since all people seem to care about is a cheap price, and Sony has been more or less the hold out from that.

My 80" BRAVIA is fucking awesome and the price was great.
People shouldn't repeat stuff they have heard somewhere on the internet.

Best TV's for gaming!

We're literally, in a topic, about Sony slashing their TV division.

Clearly not enough people care what Sony offers for their prices.

I love Sony electronics. Been a Sony Ericsson user for years and I intend to stay that way (if not, Windows Phone). I also really love their headphones...

Will they pull out of the mobile industry? I hope not.

Don't think so.
Looks like they will still make their flagship phones like Z1, Z2, Z3, etc.

Oersted

Yeah there is no way they can compete with Huawei and all those other Chinese companies. low end phones is now a race to the bottom.

Chinese companies are not necessarily low end, mind you. Lenovo comes to mind. High end is going to get rough and was never easy since you had to compete with Apples ecosystem. Samsung is trying and nosediving so far, closing wallet gardens left and right.

A good effort, but needs more subtlety to be truly effective trolling.

Sounds like a good move. I really hope this restructure helps Sony folks on the PlayStation brand and shed some of the long-ailing elements of the company.

It's a shame their smartphone division can't get its shit together. The Xperia Z3 is far and away the best phone I've ever had. If they'd properly marketed it it could have done extremely well.

Don't think so.
Looks like they will still make their flagship phones like Z1, Z2, Z3, etc.
Still sucks. I usually don't buy flagship phones (can't afford them) and their mid-range is really good.

Samsung really screwed everything up for other companies on the mid-end market. Flooding the market with low quality products.

Top Bottom