• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I could be wrong but while Disney own the rights to most of Marvel universe these days I'm pretty sure it's Sony that owns the rights to the Spider-Man franchise. Hence it makes sense for them to secure an exclusive of their own property. Unless Disbey bought Spider-Man recently?

Sony only owns the film rights. Everything else(merchandising, comics, games, tv, etc) belongs to Disney.

I think Sony was pushing them, as Disney/Marvel was absent in console gaming lately, so that they could make the games instead of Activision (which were mostly movie tie-ins)

Suzzopher

It's entirely possible that this game came about as part of their negotiations with Disney over the movies.

I think this came about by Sony saying to Marvel "let us make your AAA Marvel games, starting with Spider-Man to prove you can make great games with those characters"

Jobbs

Banned
#3 best of the conference, that said, I don't like Peter's voice at all. They should have gone younger and less stereotypical cool dude. Really bothered me.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This looks great. Suit's different but fine. I wish there'd be a date though, without it I'm sort of expecting 2018ish.

Also I'm having trouble imagining that this is native PS4 footage and not a Neo slice.

Jobbs I'm pretty sure it's a Spidey voice we had before, seemed awfully familiar to me.

PSOreo

Looks promising, for me they just need to nail the web swinging like it was in Spider-man 2 for PS2 and they are on to a winner.

Also if Insomniac are working on Spider-man then what are Sucker Punch working on? Weren't they the ones rumoured to be working on this?

Skux

ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

I love the flips. Completely unnecessary but just awesome looking.

Insomniac + Spider-Man is a perfect match.

KevinCow

Banned
I could be wrong but while Disney own the rights to most of Marvel universe these days I'm pretty sure it's Sony that owns the rights to the Spider-Man franchise. Hence it makes sense for them to secure an exclusive of their own property. Unless Disbey bought Spider-Man recently?

Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man due to a deal made in the '90s when Marvel was struggling that basically says that as long as Sony continues to make Spider-Man movies, they will retain the license. Disney/Marvel still has the rights to everything else. Comics (obviously), cartoons, toys, etc. They have the rights to Spider-Man games, and they can license that out as they see fit.

Activision used to have the game license to Spider-Man, but I guess now Sony does. Speculation is that the game license went to Sony as part of the deal between Marvel and Sony to get Spider-Man in the MCU and creative control over Spider-Man back to Marvel, but we'll probably never know if that's true or not.

Gartooth

My favorite reveal of E3 easily. I was always hoping for an "Arkham" level of quality in a Spider-Man game and this looks like we might finally get it!

I think the suit has grown a lot on me since I saw the trailer. The white on him is an unexpected pick but I think it really stands out and doesn't clash with the other colors. The only part of the design I'm not too fond of is the likeness to the ASM1 costume.

shink

Find it strange that Sony now funds games they don't have the IP of but I guess it makes sense for this if either the movie or game is positively received it'll have some benefit for the other one.

iFirez

I hope there's a black suit variant... I hope so much that I made this:

I actually don't hate the main suit, but it might look better if it was just like the new MCU suit really. I don't mind them doing something unique like this though, especially with the bigger spider logo, it kind of differentiates its self from that universe which is cool.

I hope the game is as good as the trailer looks, because that was awesome.

Looks like of of the main bosses will be negative man, I love his style so that's awesome. Costume is cool as well.

It'd be nice if it came to the PC, I don't plan on upgrading my ps4 to the neo because fuck that, though if the game is anywhere near as amazing as I hope it'll be i'd be tempted.

Johndoey

Banned
Any comic book connoisseurs around here?
I read that some Spider-man fans are saying that the goons that appear on the video are similar to the henchmen of Mr. Negative.

250px-Mister_Negative.jpg

I wonder if he will be one of the villains. He never appeared in a Spidey game before, right?

He hasn't shown up but Anti-Venom (who he sorta created) was in Edge of time.

bunkitz

Spider-Man is my all-time favourite character, so I was looking forward to the announcement, but goddamn, that is one ugly suit. Aside from that, it's also worrying me that the animations look so much like Beenox's The Amazing Spider-Man games... but I have faith in Insomniac, Marvel Games, and Sony. So let's do this.

Worth noting, though, I'm pretty sure those are Mr. Negative's Inner Demons we see Spidey fighting, such as in that truck.

Also, that's Yuri Lowenthal voicing Spidey, right?

Raziel

Wow, they nailed the movement, animations, poses, etc.

Hopefully this is successful to the point Insomniac can deliver a nice trilogy of games ala the Arkham series.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man due to a deal made in the '90s when Marvel was struggling that basically says that as long as Sony continues to make Spider-Man movies, they will retain the license. Disney/Marvel still has the rights to everything else. Comics (obviously), cartoons, toys, etc. They have the rights to Spider-Man games, and they can license that out as they see fit.

Activision used to have the game license to Spider-Man, but I guess now Sony does. Speculation is that the game license went to Sony as part of the deal between Marvel and Sony to get Spider-Man in the MCU and creative control over Spider-Man back to Marvel, but we'll probably never know if that's true or not.

Speaking of Activision, do they have any marvel licenses left? I know that most of the marvel console games (x-men, spider-man) were published (and owned? ) by Activision but it's been a while since the last one came out. It would be cool if Sony and maybe other studios would do marvel games.

I hope there's a black suit variant...

Come on now, every Spidey game has unlockable costumes and the black suit is like the no. 1 alternative suit.

tommyguns

I love the flips. Completely unnecessary but just awesome looking.

Insomniac + Spider-Man is a perfect match.

Very curious if this will be a QTE type section or if it is something that just dynamically happens if you decide to run through that building? Either way, very excited from what we saw!

Jashobeam

if they let you actually play as peter parker and can change to your spider-man outfit anytime that would be a revolutionary game mechanic for me.

DrBo42

if they let you actually play as peter parker and can change to your spider-man outfit anytime that would be a revolutionary game mechanic for me.

Allowing us to tactically set up a camera with a remote shutter and take pictures of ourselves in combat that we can edit and give to the Bugle to help fund upgrades etc is what I want.

newjeruse

I hope there's a black suit variant... I hope so much that I made this:

I actually don't hate the main suit, but it might look better if it was just like the new MCU suit really. I don't mind them doing something unique like this though, especially with the bigger spider logo, it kind of differentiates its self from that universe which is cool.
I have no doubt there will be MANY suit variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom