• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberger

Best looking Spidey game I've seen in so very long, but Insomniac's involvement means I'll not get too excited just yet. I played Sunset Overdrive recently and it was... not good. Hopefully they'll have learned some lessons from that though.

Gartooth

I'm glad that there's no indication that they're fighting to meet Homecomings release next year. If they aren't even saying a date then I'm guessing this is 2018.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
New page because why not

I just downloaded the HQ video from Gamersyde and just had to take a few screencaps.

The game looks fantastic, his suit has so much detail.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_sony_insomniac_reveal_spider_man-17997_en.html

2016-06-1413_12_17-wmjzuhz.png

2016-06-1413_12_36-wixkuvk.png

2016-06-1413_13_25-wivwu7b.png

2016-06-1413_21_02-wir3jnf.png

2016-06-1413_21_39-wiukk8h.png

2016-06-1413_21_54-wiy8keo.png

2016-06-1413_14_19-wi1buh2.png

2016-06-1413_15_08-wizmupu.png

2016-06-1413_15_32-wi9au4j.png

2016-06-1413_16_23-wi5nu8u.png

2016-06-1413_17_18-wii5uqr.png

2016-06-1413_17_44-wi0mupj.png

2016-06-1413_18_16-wiyqu4x.png

2016-06-1413_18_25-wix3uwi.png

2016-06-1413_19_04-wie5umz.png

TimFL

Cautiously optimistic that the web-swing traversal will be nearly as good as it was twelve years ago in Spider-Man 2. I dare not dream of it being better.

I just want them to add actual physical based swinging. The weblines should stretch and bend when they come into contact with lampposts or building corners... you should be able to build up momentum etc.

If they nail that AND add the option to switch to Peter mode at any time... game of the decade for me.

I also hope that the trailer (they claim it's gameplay footage) is representative of the final games world detail (in terms of pedestrians etc).

I really hope the web swinging induces a bit of vertigo.

Loved SM2 swinging but I've never played an SM game where the swinging took ME on a ride.

Will be here day 1.

Also, Insomniac - VR SWINGING MODE.

DOOOOO EEEEEEET

Gartooth

Do we know how long this have been in development for? Was quite surprised at how much they showed.

Guessing it started sometime after Sunset Overdrive was done? Although I don't know how big a project Ratchet and Clank was.

Edit: Oh shit sounds like they have been planning this game for a long time!

Sn4ke_911

They are very secret about how long this game has been in development.

Geoff tried to get an answer yesterday but no chance.

All I want from this game is a good amount of villains. The old movie games (while surely not holding up great) would throw in EVERYBODY

Just don't want one villain for the entire game or something

No reason to really think so at the moment, but the fact that all of the bad guys have the same mask is concerning. Like all thugs work for one guy

Insomniac is the perfect fit for this game. They have proven themselves to be masters of traversal, light hearted comedy and simplistic combat. Hopefully it turns out good

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
No idea if this posted or mentioned but here is a small tidbit by gematsu:

Nope, this isn’t the same Spider-Man you’ve met before, nor is our game based on the upcoming movie. This is a more seasoned Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his absurdly chaotic personal life and career All while nine million New Yorkers depend on him for their safety… no pressure indeed.

This collaboration also allows us to quickly return to action developing on PS4. Having released Ratchet & Clank, we feel confident in our ability to create a showpiece for the console. And we’re downright giddy bringing Spidey’s acrobatic abilities, improvisation, and web-slinging to life. But we also want to introduce new elements that players have never experienced with Spider-Man, ranging from traversing with parkour and utilizing the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set-pieces.
http://gematsu.com/2016/06/sony-insomniac-games-announce-spider-man-ps4

So maybe Peter plays a bigger role in this (switching between his personas) than the previous games?

No idea if this posted or mentioned but here is a small tidbit by gematsu:

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/sony-insomniac-games-announce-spider-man-ps4

So maybe Peter plays a bigger role in this (switching between his personas) than the previous games?
Oh man, if the photography element actually plays into the whole plot, that'd be fantastic. He could use that journalist excuse to gain access to a crime scene or something so he could maybe investigate on his own.

Really excited for this game.

Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man due to a deal made in the '90s when Marvel was struggling that basically says that as long as Sony continues to make Spider-Man movies, they will retain the license. Disney/Marvel still has the rights to everything else. Comics (obviously), cartoons, toys, etc. They have the rights to Spider-Man games, and they can license that out as they see fit.

Activision used to have the game license to Spider-Man, but I guess now Sony does. Speculation is that the game license went to Sony as part of the deal between Marvel and Sony to get Spider-Man in the MCU and creative control over Spider-Man back to Marvel, but we'll probably never know if that's true or not.

Ah I see. I'd heard Sony / Disney had struck up this mysterious deal to have SM in the new Avengers movies but details were private. It would make sense for Sony to perhaps gain rights to make SM games for Disney or at the very least A Spiderman game, as part of that. It's not like Activision had been doing wonders with the licence and it seems Sony are handling things with far more respect. Hiring a fantastic developer and giving the game proper dev time and a decent budget. Game looks pretty incredible.

Sn4ke_911

Gaah im so excited for this game.

Oh man, if the photography element actually plays into the whole plot, that'd be fantastic. He could use that journalist excuse to gain access to a crime scene or something so he could maybe investigate on his own.

Really excited for this game.

Yes please let us make selfies with bad guys and share them via the PS4 share function or something like that.

I hope they have traveral challenges like in Sunset Overdrive.

Those were by far the best part of the game. I'm getting excited just thinking of some in Spidey.

CCIE

Banned
Insomniac with Spider-Man is simply the best chance Spidey can get at a great game. And PS4 exclusive is a natural fit as well - the PS4 exclusives have been incredible from a graphic standpoint. I don't want to see Insomniac have to crimp their vision to shoehorn into multiple platforms. Also, I like the white spider - more dynamic and easier to track the character.

eizarus

Banned
Allowing us to tactically set up a camera with a remote shutter and take pictures of ourselves in combat that we can edit and give to the Bugle to help fund upgrades etc is what I want.

That would be amazing. Or even to scout something as a civilian so you can set up your ultra flashy Spidey entrance. I'd buy it.

I just want them to add actual physical based swinging. The weblines should stretch and bend when they come into contact with lampposts or building corners... you should be able to build up momentum etc.

If they nail that AND add the option to switch to Peter mode at any time... game of the decade for me.

I also hope that the trailer (they claim it's gameplay footage) is representative of the final games world detail (in terms of pedestrians etc).

That sounds pretty good. In the pictures, you can see he's got the mechanical web-shooters on his wrist so I'm hoping that also means there's an element fluid management involved. A fair number of Spider-Man fights (including many iconic ones) have his web shooters breaking or running out of webbing. I'd love to have that extra challenge thrown in; fighting a boss and then all of a sudden you realise you were too careless and now need to rely on agility and strength.

Do we know how long this have been in development for? Was quite surprised at how much they showed.

They are very secret about how long this game has been in development.

Geoff tried to get an answer yesterday but no chance.

I wonder what that means regarding the movie deal. Weren't the rumours that Sony got this exclusivity from giving Spider-Man to Marvel. They announced the deal in February 2015, and there's no way that Insomniac have only been working on this for just over a year.

Kevin Feige mentioned in early December 2014 that they wanted Spider-Man in Civil War. If we assume that negotiations began taking place before that (with the deal only being announced a few months later), is it safe to assume that Insomniac have been working on it since the last quarter of 2014?

Bad theory crafting?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Goddamn Sony came out swinging

Right? After the Scorpio announcement I was like, "MS has won it this year", but damn! Sony killed it in the games department. Still looking forward to getting a Scorpio when it's released (along with a PSNEO)

KageMaru

Surprised Sucker Punch isn't making this. After Sunset Overdrive though, I have faith in Insomniac producing a great open world and making it fun to traverse through.

Menaged

Best part of E3 for me, and I loved Sony's conference.
I got so excited at 5 am when I was watching it, and still am when I'm reading here about it. I need more info though!!

And those pics... damn!
*Fans self*

Insomniac with Spider-Man is simply the best chance Spidey can get at a great game. And PS4 exclusive is a natural fit as well - the PS4 exclusives have been incredible from a graphic standpoint. I don't want to see Insomniac have to crimp their vision to shoehorn into multiple platforms. Also, I like the white spider - more dynamic and easier to track the character.
The Port begging is gonna be annoying tho.

DeviantBoi

Shit... just realized it's Insomniac and not Sucker Punch that's making this.

For some reason, I thought it was Sucker Punch.

Gotta say, my excitement level went down some.

Is it PS4 exclusive?

Shit... just realized it's Insomniac and not Sucker Punch that's making this.

For some reason, I thought it was Sucker Punch.

Gotta say, my excitement level went down some.

Is it PS4 exclusive?

Yes, it's exclusive.

You should get hype. Because Insomniac seems to have nailed it.

TimFL

That sounds pretty good. In the pictures, you can see he's got the mechanical web-shooters on his wrist so I'm hoping that also means there's an element fluid management involved. A fair number of Spider-Man fights (including many iconic ones) have his web shooters breaking or running out of webbing. I'd love to have that extra challenge thrown in; fighting a boss and then all of a sudden you realise you were too careless and now need to rely on agility and strength.

I could definitely see this happening due to their apparently immense focus on acrobatic movement/parkour. If they make the non-webswinging traversal mechanics viable they could very well introduce some kind of resource management.
Could potentially cause a huge outcry by the casual gaming audience though (I think that was the reasoning behind Beenox not adding resource management).

Ramenman

They're going to nail the movement in this

ForcefulPleasantBedlingtonterrier.gif

PRETTY MUCH. The Sunset Overdrive guys can only get this right. This is a match made in heaven.

Sunset Overdrive has the best traversal mechanics since forever.
(right up there with Mirror's Edge but this is first person so different category :D )

I think some of it was definitely gameplay and all in-engine. I don't think there was any CG in it.

Definitely looked in-engine to me. Some actual gameplay in there as well.

Stevenson confirmed in this thread that it was in-game

Didn't look clean enough to be CG. Looked like heavily altered "gameplay"

Developer posted in this thread said in-engine.

Well damn, congrats to Insomniac!

NZerker12

This game has me so damn hyped. Best game of E3 for me.

Honestly if they can get the web swinging and combat down this could be one of the best comic book games of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom