• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't care that much for this one. I already know I will get Splatoon 2 and I can't wait to play the game, but the Direct does nothing for me right now.

sinonobu

Banned
Kinda bummed that it's not general direct since I was going to get this game no matter what.

Still excited to see whats new tho

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I still remember people melting down over Callie & Marie (and not getting their hilarious name), so I hope we get more squid idols for people to freak out about. I am so hyped for this.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Splatoon 2 only?

That's usually how it works.

In Nintendo direct parlance.

Nintendo Direct focused mainly on (Game Title) = All kinds of announcements

(Game Title) Direct = One title or IP focused, unless otherwise specified (For instance, they promised a Splatoon 2 trailer at the ARMS direct). They have announced 3-4 games in the same IP before at a Direct like this (Such as Fire Emblem where you had Mobile, 3DS, and a Switch announcement), etc.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't care that much for this one. I already know I will get Splatoon 2 and I can't wait to play the game, but the Direct does nothing for me right now.
I bet it'll tell you information you don't know yet. If you don't want information, m'kay.

Wrong. Salmon Run is always available online. But there will be some timed events too additionally
On my phone right now but the Treehouse Tumblr page says online is completely event-based. Local play can be used anytime.

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/161833882587/salmon-in-the-summer
Online play, on the other hand, is event-based and can only be enjoyed during times when Grizzco Industries is open for business. In the original Splatoon, Splatfests changed up the online gameplay cycle with a special event every few weeks. Salmon Run will similarly change up the cycle in Splatoon 2, and with greater frequency than Splatfests.

javac

I kind of feel the same, Splatoon is probably one of my favourite games of all time and I'm 100% on board for more of it, I don't really need to see more but at the same time I bet that there's going to be a few surprises that'll be hype as fuck. More info about the DLC pipeline and such will be welcomed too. Also...when are those Splatoon joy-cons coming out in the UK!

Aw yes.

I3lnCZS.gif

Just thought about it but :
January : Switch presentation
February : Fire Emblem Direct + Nindies Showcase
March : nothing
April : Nintendo Direct
May : ARMS Direct
June : Pokémon Direct + Nintendo Spotlight
July : Splatoon 2 Direct

That's more than one "direct" a month since Switch's reveal.

It makes sense. Keep the hype going and Kimishima said they would change is some way. August will probably a true Nintendo Direct.

B00TE

Awww yiss, can't wait to see what they show off. This and ARMS are gonna last me a long time. So excited to be able to play this just about anywhere (that expanded single player and Salmon run etc etc).

Wouldn't mind another testfire, I want to play with the dualies more!

Chucker

Just in time too, Amazon.co.jp just let me know the download code was available and since I ordered Arms through there it ended up being about $45.

Geg

Wait.... What.... What the hell is this about?

Info about Salmon Run has been really inconsistent and conflicting. They said that during E3, but then Nogami said in an interview later that it would just unlock for players once they hit level 4. So who knows anymore

Geg

It is time for Nintendo to finally explain Voice chat, matchmaking, and friend online play thru the phone app.

Dammit I completely forgot about all the app shit and now I'm slightly less hyped because they're probably gonna spend a while on that

In my dreams, they will announce a much meatier solo content...would be great to have the best of both worlds. Will pass the game for now since I cannot justify the entry price right now for a presumably short campaign and without being sure I can enjoy the online shooter aspect (I hate them normaly). Also Salmon Run being event-based totally killed my hype for this online co-op mode. My 3DS will keep me busy for the summer.

atr0cious

They've said this for a while now. Salmon Run online will be Event based. You can't just play it whenever you want.

Offline can play as much as you want with others.
The producer just had an interview and said it unlocks after you reach rank 4. Willing to bet marketing knows less than the devs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I bet it'll tell you information you don't know yet. If you don't want information, m'kay.

I enjoy new info, I just don't feel the same hype for a game Direct when I already know that I want that game. The new info could be published via twitter and I would feel the same type of enthusiasm. A general Direct, that's a different thing.

Dammit I completely forgot about all the app shit and now I'm slightly less hyped because they're probably gonna spend a while on that

That make me more excited. This needs to be explain soon. They spent time showing Arms and Splatoon 2 as an esport. They added team battles to pokken for the same reason.

Show us the damn voice chat already. This isn't 1996 anymore. Xbox has had voice chat since 2002 or something.

I'm excited and honestly an expecting answers on this.

The producer just had an interview and said it unlocks after you reach rank 4. Willing to bet marketing knows less than the devs.
Well you know, the treehouse are working on localizing the game, so I doubt they would have posted completely false information on an official page.

It's likely a mix of both explanations. You can still play offline whenever.

Fireblend

Banned

Both statements could be true. Unlocks at level 4, after which you can either play it locally anytime, or online during the events. How is that conflicting?

DNAbro

On my phone right now but the Treehouse Tumblr page says online is completely event-based. Local play can be used anytime.

https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/161833882587/salmon-in-the-summer

god dammit. I thought I heard correctly during the treehouse stream but very few people seemed to notice. Don't they realize how stupid that is? Don't lock a whole entire mode behind an event. That's incredibly short sighted. They either better change it or make it available like every weekend.

They better announce those joy cons for the US. I swear every time I want a new model of a system or accessory I get screwed out of it.

Also let us preload nintendo ;-;

Geg

That make me more excited. This needs to be explain soon. They spent time showing Arms and Splatoon 2 as an esport. They added team battles to pokken for the same reason.

Show us the damn voice chat already. This isn't 1996 anymore. Xbox has had voice chat since 2002 or something.

I'm excited and honestly an expecting answers on this.

It's mainly because I expect the answers to be dumb and they'll likely overshadow everything else the direct talks about.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I enjoy new info, I just don't feel the same hype for a game Direct when I already know that I want that game. The new info could be published via twitter and I would feel the same type of enthusiasm. A general Direct, that's a different thing.
So what you're saying is that you don't care for this direct even though you find some kind of enjoyment in new info, although, not hype. This enjoyment is equal to a twitter post in terms of enthusiasm yet you will get nothing out of this anyways?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
god dammit. I thought I heard correctly during the treehouse stream but very few people seemed to notice. Don't they realize how stupid that is? Don't lock a whole entire mode behind an event. That's incredibly short sighted. They either better change it or make it available like every weekend.

Sounds exactly like that other incredibly successful game called Overwatch.

god dammit. I thought I heard correctly during the treehouse stream but very few people seemed to notice. Don't they realize how stupid that is? Don't lock a whole entire mode behind an event. That's incredibly short sighted.
The online portion seems to be tied to some rewards system. But yeah, I don't know why private online lobbies couldn't be a thing.

Renna Hazel

I'll be really disappointed if salmon run can only be played at certain time periods. That's a huge downer for the mode I was most excited for.

I really don't think they're dropping Splatfests when the entire story behind this one, and the reason why Callie is gone instead of Marie, is based on the last Splatfest. Most likely it's just locked until you finish the SP Campaign, since that's the way to get new players acquainted with the game.

DNAbro

Sounds exactly like that other incredibly successful game called Overwatch.

It's stupid that those co op modes in Overwatch are event based too. Both companies doing something stupid doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Both should be available for private lobbies at any time.

Top Bottom