• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

jorgejjvr

Please please please.

Make it possible and easy for me to -

1. Make a gaf room/team.
2. Take that team online, competitive against randoms.
3. Have voice chat

Like overwatch.

SeanR1221

Super mega ultra bold prediction:

It ends with two inklings trying to splat each other. Then Mario jumps between them and gets inked on both sides of his face.

INKLINGS SPLAT INTO BATTLE!

SMASH PORT ANNOUNCED

Please please please.

1. Make a gaf room/team.
3. Have voice chat

Like overwatch.

I'm glad we'll finally find out the details for voice chat and the beta app.

I have a feeling if it's something not good Nintendo will brush through it pretty quickly because they know people will be mad.

13ruce

Banned
On the fence for this game, but looking forward to what they show.

I thought the same in 2015.
Few months ago i saw Splatoon for 20 bucks.
I Bought it played it and loved it.
Now i own 5 Splatoon Amiibo:)
And have the Squid Sisters DJ theme in my playlist on my mobile.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So what you're saying is that you don't care for this direct even though you find some kind of enjoyment in new info, although, not hype. This enjoyment is equal to a twitter post in terms of enthusiasm yet you will get nothing out of this anyways?

Yeah, I don't care about it as a "Direct". That's all I'm saying. For example I won't get out of my way to watch it live during work hours like I would do with a more hyped Direct, so I will watch it when I get home. If I won't get all the info already from the tweets of the people who will watch it live. I hope this is OK for you.

DD0Yc4FVwAANAD4.jpg

~25 minutes.

atr0cious

Maybe it unlocks after rank 4 and is still event-based ? It would make sense.

Those are not exclusive though - it can be a timed event which only allows you to play if you're level 4+.

Well you know, the treehouse are working on localizing the game, so I doubt they would have posted completely false information on an official page.

It's likely a mix of both explanations. You can still play offline whenever.

Then you probably unlock it at rank 4, but it'll be event based.
This could be true, but if you read what they say, it sounds like events are something else all together.
Shintaro Sato: So far, we've only shown Salmon Run as a local multiplayer thing. One thing we're hoping for is that it will really attract players with some experience with Splatoon multiplayer, and that they'll be able to team up and offer advice. Communication will be really important in that local setting for players to inform each other about what's going on and share things that they've learned from multiplayer.

Hisashi Nogami: In the full version of the game there is an online version of Salmon Run mode but you'll need to raise your multiplayer level to level 4 before being able to participate in that.

So it's like needing to beat the Arms Grand Prix at level 4 before playing a ranked game?
Hisashi Nogami: A little, yeah. Once it does become available,
the setup for it is that there's a company called Grizzco Industries run by this mysterious bear who is hiring workers to go and defeat these Salmonid creatures. When you first enter Salmon Run mode online you'll be put through his, sort of, job training. He'll teach you the basics of the mode.

So you're a squid, employed by a bear. OK.
Hisashi Nogami: And so, you know, whether it's playing with some experienced players in a local setting, or getting your tips from this bear character in the online version, we're hoping that the level of difficulty will appropriate for players to tackle if they have the right set of players with them.

You know, this is true for Salmon Run but also for multiplayer – we're trying to design a game that won't just keep you at the same level of interest the entire time, but will have these peaks of really cool events happening and something that makes everybody sort of become surprised at once. We've designed the game to encourage situations where when you're in a random match with people you may not know, and and it looks like everything is proceeding one particular way, then suddenly there's a turn of events and the losing team is able to turn the tide and surprise everyone.
They never mention the online portion as a separate event. And the online tutorial sounds like it's a little more involved than a splatfest like event, which because of the rank requirement, seems a little much for an event that people will be rushing to fit in with in the alleged time limit; especially since the local mode will be freely available. After their slow map roll out to ease the player base into the first game("because Nintendo" and all that), anything is possible, but I'm really hoping it's not.

Please please please.

1. Make a gaf room/team.
3. Have voice chat

Like overwatch.

This would be the game that would force me to finally share my friend code on GAF.

Do it, Ninty.

Renna Hazel

Isn't Salmon Run only a few rounds? I don't think people understand that and will be disappointed.

I think it's a few rounds that continue to increase in difficulty as you progress. So I guess a full game can last for a long time? Perhaps they'll clear it all up in the direct.

I'll be so mad if this is only an event based mode though. If it is, and no option for split screen play, this greatly hurts my excitement for the game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Even though I loved sp1 for some reason not hyped for this.

Too soon?

Salmon run being great coop fun would be game changing.

jorgejjvr

Not sure I want organised teams up against randoms.
Then the game should be smart enough to know it is a organized team, and match you up with other teams accordingly

Again, just like overwatch

The fun of the game is to play with others, have your own team, and play against randoms only. Should not be restricted to a friends lobby against friends.

It's way more fun to rank up online with other people you know, or in gaf, while chatting online.

It would suck if it's only me against randoms online

backlot

Please please please.

1. Make a gaf room/team.
3. Have voice chat

Like overwatch.

In the first game you can make a squad and fight against other squads so I think it's pretty safe to say it'll be in this game as well.

Then the game should be smart enough to know it is a organized team, and match you up with other teams accordingly

The fun of the game is to play with others, have your own team, and play against others.

Groups vs groups sounds like fun, I agree.

Geg

The fun of the game is to play with others, have your own team, and play against others.

Splatoon already has that though so I don't see why this is an issue you're worried about?

Unless you're talking about turf war

jorgejjvr

In the first game you can make a squad and fight against other squads so I think it's pretty safe to say it'll be in this game as well.
I don't recall.

The first allowed to make a squad, and then take it online to rank up with that squad?

I remember people be able to jump in and out, but they could be in any team randomly

Ps: I thought the first didn't allow that. My bad if I'm wrong.

I guess at this point the only concern is to make sure voice chat works to make strategies.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I don't recall.

The first allowed to make a squad, and then take it online to rank up with that squad?

I remember people be able to jump in and out, but they could be in any team randomly
It was for Ranked mode specifically, but you could make a team of up to 4 of your friends. Same should be around this time as well.

Geg

I don't recall.

Yeah, but it wasn't added until the August update.

Meh, so it's just as long as the Nintendo E3 spotlight.

Kidding aside, I don't know if there are a lot more to the game we don't know that warrants a 25 minute direct. That's really cool.
If it's anything like the ARMS direct and other game specific directs there will probably be a lot of recap but there should be a good bit of new stuff too

jorgejjvr

It was for Ranked mode specifically. But you could make a team of up to 4 of ypur friends. Same should be around this time as well.
Oh okay, that's great then.

Here's hoping then that we can communicate efficiently then.

Maybe we will have gaf v gaf teams online xD

weekev

Banned
What else is there to announce? We know about Salmon Run, the story mode, and the basics of the game... Maybe how Splatfests will work around this time now that Callie and Marie aren't around as much? And probably a new testfire

Details of the communication app for chat during matches......

Top Bottom