• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

Yomidi

I don't understand why though? How does the pun even work with Marina? Calamarina? Bad choice which is made even worse now that Marina truly exists.
Callie is named Stella in Italian. Together they are Stella Marina which means starfish in Italian

Grylvak

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Marina to me is better than Pearl, however I feel cake is better than ice cream.

What do?

The thing about Pearl's design is that compared to the other idols, she's a little too close to what's already available to the player characters. (Perhaps as a "canonical" Agent 3...)

I prefer Callie and Marie over the new designs, including the musical identity of the first game, from what we've heard so far. But Marina is incredibly distinctive relative to anybody else in the game, which was how Callie and Marie felt in the first game's release.

Visual design aside, there is a lot of latitude for the characters to amass a following based on how their personalities are defined in the writing and localization. I hope we're in for a dynamic that is a little more unique than a straight lift of Callie/Marie's contrasting personalities. If done well, Pearl could emerge as surprisingly appealing.

(If I want one Amiibo out of all this, however, it's unquestionably Splatoon 2 Marie.)

Neiteio

Pearl has a solid design — lots of personality, great color scheme, stands out — but she's not a waifu, you see. More like a bratty lil' cousin. You can't make-believe marry that! But Marina is like an Octoling Rihanna. Would date and take to a seafood restaura— actually, that might be a bad idea.

rudger

Why does Marina look so uncomfortable? I mean, clearly the better design, but her general expression exudes...hesitancy?

D.Lo

They actually appear to be called Tentacruise in Japanese?

テンタクルズ Tentakuruzu

Luigiv

Pearl has a solid design — lots of personality, great color scheme, stands out — but she's not a waifu, you see. More like a bratty lil' cousin. You can't make-believe marry that! But Marina is like an Octoling Rihanna. Would date and take to a seafood restaura— actually, that might be a bad idea.

Is it? I would assume octopuses would eat seafood exclusively, I'm sure she'd be thrilled. Just don't order any takoyaki.

Neiteio

Why does Marina look so uncomfortable? I mean, clearly the better design, but her general expression exudes...hesitancy?
Probably because she's terrified for her life, Pearl looks like she might scamper across the stage and chew her face off at any moment, like some sort of rabid squirrel

rhandino

Banned
Tanned amirite

She is just a really tanned octopi because [insert random reason here]!

b3i6e14.gif

JJShadow

I went from excitement to complete dissapointment after seeing the Demo schedule: 00:00 to 04:00 for us in Europe

Well, guess I'll have to wait till the 21st

Jamie OD

Probably because it's a Pokémon

Or they don't want you associating tentacles with them

One of those

But the Pokémon is called Tentacool in most of the European versions. I think German is the only European language that changes it (Tentacha).

Synth

Michael Huber: "BOLD choice. HIGH stakes."

At least he won't have to worry about her being unfaithful

EDIT: Also, I'd like to retract my previous dismissal of them both looking shite. Marina has JSR-esque perma-headphones, so her design is alright.

Effect

Like Marina's design a lot but I get the feeling that Pearl is going to end up the more interesting of the two when it comes to the dialogue. Can already see that already. The back and forth between Callie and Marie were what I enjoyed the most between them. Hope that holds up here with Marina and Pearl.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Breh she's am octoling in a society currently at war with octolings it's not surprising they went with that personality type.

TheOGB

Banned
Pearl's design works very well combined with Marina, but on its own... ehhh

Are the Splatoon games worth it for someone who only cares about single player?
The story mode in Splatoon 1 was great and this one will probably be better, but MP is the real meat and potatoes of the package. I don't think you'd get much out of just that one & done experience.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Probably because she's terrified for her life, Pearl looks like she might scamper across the stage and chew her face off at any moment, like some sort of rabid squirrel
Neit with the posts we need

I dont like the designs compared to the original squidsisters.

I think they are overdesigned and yuck looking. Marina is better than Pearl, but they fucked it up with the green on the fingers and the giant belt.

Going to see how they called them in spanish, becuase they alredy named the squid sisters differently there (Mar and Tina).

PSGames

I'm a huge Splatoon fan but is it just me or do the 'ALL NEW' Special Weapons pale in comparison to the ones Splatoon 1?

None look as cool as the Inkstrike or as fun as the Kraken....

I know they had to adjust for not having a touchscreen always available but no Kraken, Inkzooka or Killer Wail is a bummer for me looking at what they've shown thus far.

Are the Splatoon games worth it for someone who only cares about single player?

Like the campaign itself? Probably not.

I'm a huge Splatoon fan but is it just me or do the 'ALL NEW' Special Weapons pale in comparison to the ones Splatoon 1?

I know they had to adjust for not having a touchscreen always available but no Kraken, Inkzooka or Killer Wail is a bummer for me looking at what they've shown thus far.

They pale in comparison because of the old specials were broken as fuck, which is why they got rid of them haha.

It's intentional. The old specials were too strong and didn't seem balanced with competitive play in mind. That's why there's no old ones returning.

Top Bottom