• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

Neoxon

Oh crap, no offline 4 player? Thats a crying shame that would've been the reason I would've bought it. I thought Nintendo was the last first party bastion of local multiplayer.
Splatoon as a game concept isn't exactly split screen friendly. On top of the issue of the lack of an map for the other 3 players (which they had to retool Battle Dojo's premise entirely to accommodate), the game would run like shit (15fps) if there was 4 player offline split screen.

phanphare

Banned
Splatoon as a game concept isn't exactly split screen friendly. On top of the issue of the lack of an map for the other 3 players (which they had to retool Battle Dojo entirely to accommodate), the game would run like shit (15fps) if there was 4 player offline split screen.

I don't man, as long as it's a rock-solid 15fps..

/s

pringles

It seems that the game itself is very good, but was rushed out to have something to play on Wii U these months.
Doesn't seem rushed to me. It's polished and the single-player campaign is more fleshed out than most thought it would be. The content roll-out post-launch seems like a definite longevity play. Everything seems designed around the idea of always having something to look forward to, new 'events' and unlocks.

maxcriden

Wow game is $60 (I thought Wii U games were $50)

Are these really big or complex maps?

Most Wii U games are $50 on average, but a few have been $60 (or $40, on the flipside). This is a bit of an odd one as it's treated as a budget-priced release in Europe but full-priced in NA, I believe.

Neoxon

I really hope this game does well. Would love to see it grow and become a franchise.
Like I've been saying, it'll probably be a modest success at the very least. Nintendo's likely gonna use the positive reviews to their advantage in the later ads.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can you imagine if Halo, BF or CoD launched with 5 maps? 5 fucking maps is pathetic.

I don't care if there's free DLC on the way.

It launched with 5 maps
Can you imagine if these games were as fresh and arcade as Splatoon?

I played The Village in U2 hundreds of times. I played Fifa online thousands of time. Variety is nice, but a single environment with "perfect" gameplay mechanics can give you room to progress indefinitely.

Such games are rare, it looks like I can expect Splatoon to be one these.

In other words, buy it used in 6 months or later whenever one's backlog has shrunk. Cool, never expected otherwise.
Now it makes sense that they limited the demo. It already featured a big chunk of the unpatched game :lol

Shauni

Most Wii U games are $50 on average, but a few have been $60 (or $40, on the flipside). This is a bit of an odd one as it's treated as a budget-priced release in Europe but full-priced in NA, I believe.

Huh? I don't feel like this is true. Most of the Wii U titles I purchase have been $60, or at least were $60 at launch as far as I'm aware.

Higher or lower?

A lot of people are surprised it's so high, but tbh the scores are slightly lower than what I expected.
I saw a lot of people on twitter expecting lower scores thanks to the content roll out. Seems pretty good being a new IP and having a lot of its content being rolled out post launch.
Huh? I don't feel like this is true. Most of the Wii U titles I purchase have been $60, or at least were $60 at launch as far as I'm aware.
Yeah, a lot are outside of like Donkey Kong and Sonic games and budget titles.
Mario Party 10 was 50, not sure if that counts as a budget game.

I am pleasantly suprised by the review scores. I actually love the direction and art style of this game and cannot wait to play it with all of you When it comes out.

Eh... The singleplayer portion alone, which seems to last 5-10 hours alone based on various reviews, is more than many full AAA game releases the last couple of gens. There may be a small amount of multiplayer game modes and maps, but at least Nintendo's version of releasing an "unfinished" game is one where what's there is perfectly functional and playable. Unlike the buggy messes that, for example, Ubisoft and Bethesda release.

Don't forget 343.

Clefargle

I don't know if this really counts, but my friend and I host a small blog where I have a nice and long written review after playing about 20+ hours if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.8bitawesome.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review/
Final score is TBD until the real servers can be tested. (Review copies were hosted on separate, pre-release servers)

We also host a small podcast and we thought if anyone wants a longer, more in review of Splatoon (longer than a short article or 5 minute video review) this podcast might fit the bill. We got an early copy and after over 20 hours of gameplay, we tell you everything we can...(without spoiling the single player storyline).
http://www.8bitawesome.com/2015/05/27/podcast-83-special-splatoon-review-edition/ You can also easily find it if you just search for 8 Bit Awesome on iTunes.

Subbed

I think I know why I'm looking at the Wii U bundle for this, is that I'm afraid it will only be a limited time. Unless you think this will be a staple bundle from Nintendo?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised to see such lavish praise. I was expecting it to land more in the 7~8 range.

Seems like a good game to pick up from the eShop to have it always available without swapping discs.

MajorMane

Can you imagine if Halo, BF or CoD launched with 5 maps? 5 fucking maps is pathetic.

It launched with 5 maps

If those games launched with 5 maps, then yes, the scores would be much lower. But these games have more or less the same gameplay after years and years, so we expect beefier content as a tradeoff to the exact same gameplay.

Splatoon offers fantastic gameplay (as these reviews will tell you) which allows the score to still be in the 8-9 range. Does this forgive the lack of content? Not particularly and most of the reviews do list that as a negative. That's only fair.

But don't assume that Splatoon is such a generic shooter that it deserves to be placed and scored according to the likes of Halo, BF, or CoD.

In other words, buy it used in 6 months or later whenever one's backlog has shrunk. Cool, never expected otherwise.
Now it makes sense that they limited the demo. It already featured a big chunk of the unpatched game :lol

The demo was meant to be a stresstest on servers, so limiting it to 1 game mode and 2 maps would put the most stress on the servers. That's why it was that way, not because it was "a big chunk of the game".

I also don't think there will be a lot of used copies of this game out there in 6 months. Nintendo games have a pretty good hold on rate if only because people play the game every now and then and that's worth keeping it around. I think you'll be able to find the game just fine in 6 months - and it will have more content to appease those people that need it - but don't expect to find it used.

RedFyn

It launched with 5 maps
Cod launches with more than 5 maps?
that's how it feels

The quality of the maps is much more important to me then the quantity. If the 5 we get to start are all exceptional then I'm OK with the low amount. You mention cod which I find funny as it is the only fps/tps game, that I can think of, that created a seperate playlist just so people could play on one map 24/7.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, those are some pretty killer reviews. Awesome.

I have some serious doubts about this game actually selling well, but eh... who cares? I can't wait to pick this up on Friday.

Hiltz

I think Splatoon was rushed out in order to keep software momentum going.

January - Captain Toad (Europe only)
February- Kirby's Rainbow Curse
March - Mario Party 10, Mario vs. DK
April - Mario Kart 8 DLC, Smash Bros DLC
May - Splatoon
June - Smash Bros DLC, Yoshi's Wooly World (Europe only)
July - Art Academy, Spatoon DLC
August - Splatoon DLC
September - Mario Maker
Fall - Yoshi's Wooly World
TBD - Star Fox, Devil's Third, Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame
Winter - Fire Emblem X SMT ( Japan only)

Unannounced software - some of which will be out before April 2016 according to Iwata

In the interest of fairness, we should wait until release date and maybe even a few weeks before we can assure that this won't have problems connecting to games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cod launches with more than 5 maps?
that's how it feels

The quality of the maps is much more important to me then the quantity. If the 5 we get to start are all exceptional then I'm OK with the low amount. You mention cod which I find funny as it is the only fps/tps game, that I can think of, that created a seperate playlist just so people could play on one map 24/7.

I don't really do competitive FPS anymore, but giving a damn about "number of maps" has always seemed odd to me. Then again, I was big into Counter Strike and Quake multiplayer back in the day and outside of some outlying servers playing wacky stuff, you typically would be on a rotation of a small number of popular maps that rose to the top. Or in Counter Strike's case, a lot of places would just be Dust.

The quality of the maps is definitely much more important.

May - Splatoon
August - Splatoon DLC
September - Mario Maker

Unannounced software - some of which will be out before April 2016 according to Iwata

Does Nintendo plan to sell new maps for Splatoon or release them free of charge? If they are taking the paid route, I won't even bother with this game.

Whoah reviews are even better as they come out :D! I was sure it would get heavily penalized for the disappointing online at launch. I wonder how many reviewers will go back to their reviews in August and adjust after new content.

In the interest of fairness, we should wait until release date and maybe even a few weeks before we can assure that this won't have problems connecting to games.

I'm not concerned. All of the Test-Fires barring the last one worked nearly flawlessly, and that was very likely with a much larger userbase than Splatoon will ever see (for both that it was free, and also condensed into single hour windows worldwide)

phanphare

Banned

oh no, another well received Wii U game!

Whoah reviews are even better as they come out :D! I was sure it would get heavily penalized for the disappointing online at launch. I wonder how many reviewers will go back to their reviews in August and adjust after new content.

the funny thing is that it is getting penalized for the disappointing online features and lack of content. it seems that the gameplay is so good it overshadows those things to an extent.

but they score they give it now is the score people are going to remember, not the score they might ive it after the new modes are added

Then Nintendo should have released it with more content? I don't know what you're trying to express here, unless you want reviewers to psychically review unreleased content.

TI82

Banned

May - Splatoon
August - Splatoon DLC
September - Mario Maker

Oh without a doubt, I don't think this is doubted by many people. Same thing with why they are trickle feeding the levels, to bolster the lineup.

Top Bottom