• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

I don't really do competitive FPS anymore, but giving a damn about "number of maps" has always seemed odd to me. Then again, I was big into Counter Strike and Quake multiplayer back in the day and outside of some outlying servers playing wacky stuff, you typically would be on a rotation of a small number of popular maps that rose to the top. Or in Counter Strike's case, a lot of places would just be Dust.

The quality of the maps is definitely much more important.

Does Nintendo plan to sell new maps for Splatoon or release them free of charge? If they are taking the paid route, I won't even bother with this game.
All the post release content announced so far is free as far as we know

MajorMane

In the interest of fairness, we should wait until release date and maybe even a few weeks before we can assure that this won't have problems connecting to games.

The testfires seemed to work out pretty well for most everyone, barring the last one which didn't work for the first hour and then worked flawlessly during the extended time. That alone though validates any doubts about the game, but I think there's been more evidence to suggest that it will be fine.

Does Nintendo plan to sell new maps for Splatoon or release them free of charge? If they are taking the paid route, I won't even bother with this game.

They'll be releasing free updates up through at least August as I understand it. This includes the new maps and the larger update to online. After that, it's anyone's guess.

mo60

I don't really do competitive FPS anymore, but giving a damn about "number of maps" has always seemed odd to me. Then again, I was big into Counter Strike and Quake multiplayer back in the day and outside of some outlying servers playing wacky stuff, you typically would be on a rotation of a small number of popular maps that rose to the top. Or in Counter Strike's case, a lot of places would just be Dust.

The quality of the maps is definitely much more important.

Post launch conent is free for the game for now.

pringles

Can you imagine if Halo, BF or CoD launched with 5 maps? 5 fucking maps is pathetic.

I don't care if there's free DLC on the way.

It launched with 5 maps
Those games usually have their map selection split up between gamemodes. I believe Halo 4 only had like 5 or 6 maps for normal 4v4 play at launch. Out of those, only 2 of them were not trash, so hopefully Splatoon beats that.

Basically as long as all 5 maps, or at least 3 or 4, are quality it shouldn't be an issue. Never played anything but Dust2, Dust or Aztec in CS, never wanted to play anything but Lockout in Halo 2, never cared for more than 1 or 2 maps in BF.. and can't remember a single map from any CoD multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Phew... Thanks for clearing that up about the free DLC. User base fragmentation just kills these games for me. It's why I don't bother with modern console shooters in general.

Air

Banned
About what I expected. Good gameplay with a lean package (glad reviewers are aware of the future content). That said, it's not surprising it's reviewed so well to me, the gameplay being so solid and it being an online multiplayer title with polish guaranteed it being above an average score. A good song player campaign (or the perception of it being good) is what I felt would push it to the 80's level.

TI82

Banned
I can't wait to see how this one sells. Will be very interesting. My expectations are low.

750k-1 million worldwide seems pretty reasonable. Wii U audience is starved for games since third parties 99% left and the game looks pretty good so why wouldn't a few buy it.

I can't wait to see how this one sells. Will be very interesting. My expectations are low.
Should do reasonably well. I think 1 million+ is very doable. There has been quite a bit of hype around it, it's been received well so far, and it's been getting a pretty good marketing push

royox

If any other company released a game with 2 game modes and 5 maps, withouth voice chat with friends, with content locked behind amiibo and with the promises of new future content they would have given them 5/10 all the way.

But it's a nintendo game so they give it tons of 9/10.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If any other company released a game with 2 game modes and 5 maps, withouth voice chat with friends, with content locked behind amiibo and with the promises of new future content they would have given them 5/10 all the way.

Probably not.

Real Hero

Maybe it's just that fun?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

It must be hard to understand for people who don't touch Nintendo games, I must reckon.
Well the thing is, they manage to be that good, despite that. Godly gameplay mechanics is the usual explanation. This is why these games are usually beloved, called classics, etc.

Man this kind of post is getting really tiresome.

From what I've heard, the lack of maps feels alright seeing how "new" the game feels.
It's not too comparable to the 4th Battle field or the latest CoD.
Could be wrong though, but that's what GameXplain says.

NotLiquid

There's no Nintendo boogeyman at play here you know. A solid game foundation can make all the better of an impression. Killer Instinct launched with similarly lacking feature sets and received warm praise. Splatoon is currently in a circumstance where it's great in spite of it's content rather than because of it.

Kriken

Did anyone make a review thread bingo card? I think I got a bingo now

the funny thing is that it is getting penalized for the disappointing online features and lack of content. it seems that the gameplay is so good it overshadows those things to an extent.

Yup. Read a bunch of the reviews and a lot of them boil down to "yeah the content is sparse for now but omg the core gameplay is fucking awesome". That Nintendo magic. I cannot wait until Friday.

Even a year later I'm still playing MK8 so I'm really excited about the future of Splatoon.

MajorMane

Any of the reviews really discuss the music and audio of the game?

None of the reveiws that I've seen really talk about the music and audio at all. Those that do seem to really enjoy the music especially - something we've come to expect from Nintendo, probably.

GameXplain probably touches on it the best that I've seen. Basically, both single player and multiplayer have their own unique music that is catchy, but in single player particularly, it repeats maybe just a bit too much, so there could be room for more. Also, the music/audio(?) becomes muffled if you're in squid form in the ink. Neat touch.

AGoodODST

There is only one thing for it. You must take to Metacritic and write a User Review. Don't let the them get away with this!

jariw

Any of the reviews really discuss the music and audio of the game?

NintendoLife did: "The audio in the game is quite enjoyable, but the background music fits into quite specific genres and may not appeal to some people. The music largely fades into the background once you're in a game, though, so it's not really too much of an issue."

TI82

Banned
This game got Amiibos, it's already
scalped
popular.

I do love this one:

tumblr_nmjxnlPU301u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The other two not so much.

Peltz

Yup. Read a bunch of the reviews and a lot of them boil down to "yeah the content is sparse for now but omg the core gameplay is fucking awesome". That Nintendo magic. I cannot wait until Friday.

Even a year later I'm still playing MK8 so I'm really excited about the future of Splatoon.

What this guy said^

+1

GWX

NintendoLife did: "The audio in the game is quite enjoyable, but the background music fits into quite specific genres and may not appeal to some people. The music largely fades into the background once you're in a game, though, so it's not really too much of an issue."

but you can say that about every piece of music ever -.-

weevles

Wow. Those scores!

My daughter wants this game and she isn't even into shooting games, let alone team multiplayer games. I guess I will need to buy this...

Javier

It makes me happy the game is getting so many positive reviews. I really hope Nintendo keeps Splatoon as its mainstay shooter in future systems.

Chaos17

750k-1 million worldwide seems pretty reasonable. Wii U audience is starved for games since third parties 99% left and the game looks pretty good so why wouldn't a few buy it.

We could say the same thing for other plateforms, just look how hungry players are for any new AAA games that come out on their console.

ec0ec0

what the f*ck are you doing nintendo? why would you release a new big IP in such a state that allows everyone to complain "content, content, content".... ?? I mean, that's very "unnintendo". The game got good reviews, but they could have been better.

There's a lot of reviews that go "original, brilliant, fun, etc... BUT content..." . People clearly wanted to score the game higher, BUT content...

It's surprising, because nintendo tends to be "overprotective" with their games.

TI82

Banned
We could say the same thing for other plateform, just look how hungry players are for any new AAA games that come out on their console.

True but the other systems have a healthy steady release schedule. The Wii U clearly doesn't have that same schedule.

Regiruler

what the f*ck are you doing nintendo? why would you release a new big IP in such a state that allows everyone to complain "content, content, content".... ?? I mean, that very "unnintendo". The game got good reviews, but they could have been better.

There's a lot of reviews that go "original, brilliant, fun, etc... BUT content..." . People clearly wanted to score the game higher, BUT content...
Because it would delay the release of the game.

what the f*ck are you doing nintendo? why would you release a new big IP in such a state that allows everyone to complain "content, content, content".... ?? I mean, that very "unnintendo". The game got good reviews, but they could have been better.

The next few weeks are going to introduce a lot more of the content. Given that this is an online game that lives and dies by it's player base, I believe the intent is to keep adding free things frequently for a while to keep people coming back. It should, in theory, also hope the weirder modes get some traction.

When something like COD comes out, 90% of players just play TDM over and over. With Splatoon rolling out their modes one by one, it encourages everyone to try each mode as it hits.

It'll be interesting on how this scheme affects the player count, but it doesn't seem like they're being "UnNintendo" so much as experimenting with a way to keep the playerbase engaged.

Alrus

It's surprising, because nintendo tends to be "overprotective" with their games.

They needed a game to release right now because their lineup would have been ever more dire than it already is. This was deemed complete gameplay wise and they felt they could add content later on so there. Nintendo rushing games isn't anything new.

None of the reveiws that I've seen really talk about the music and audio at all. Those that do seem to really enjoy the music especially - something we've come to expect from Nintendo, probably.

GameXplain probably touches on it the best that I've seen. Basically, both single player and multiplayer have their own unique music that is catchy, but in single player particularly, it repeats maybe just a bit too much, so there could be room for more. Also, the music/audio(?) becomes muffled if you're in squid form in the ink. Neat touch.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I noticed the muffling of the music during the Testfire which I thought was a great little touch. I spoiled some of the in game music from YouTube but ugh it sounds so good. Every time I see something Splatoon related the theme song starts playing in my head. So ctachy.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I noticed the muffling of the music during the Testfire which I thought was a great little touch. I spoiled some of the in game music from YouTube but ugh it sounds so good. Every time I see something Splatoon related the theme song starts playing in my head. So ctachy.

The main theme is amongst the greatest of all time.

The rest is just wacky coolness that fits the style very well.

Man this kind of post is getting really tiresome.

The thread is just filled with these. But I'm pretty sure we saw that coming :D

Discussing the low number of maps at launch (5) is fine and should be discussed. But some people are just coming in here to shit post and dip.

It's a bummer that EAD decided to go this route with the maps. It's a strange design decision but I understand why they did it. Most people are just going to think they're just starving players from extra content but it's pretty much the same thing they're doing with their rank mode. For rank, they want people to get enough experience playing the game so people wouldn't just go into rank mode and get destroyed and not know what to do.

They want the community to slowly get used to the starting maps/modes and roll new stuff out steadily.

All those maps seem to be done, they're releasing every few weeks after launch, it's not like they're just buying time for themselves.

Most people seem to think that we wont be seeing new maps till months from now or something.

Top Bottom