• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

Percy

Banned
The game looks like fun for sure, but the lack of content is enough to give me pause right now... and I'm not too hot on the exclusion of voice chat either, but I could live with that one if pushed I guess.

Might wait and see how the content roll out goes before getting it.

Good scores, but the double standards annoy me. If you look back to MP-centric games like Shadowrun last gen, they got butchered in reviews for having a lack of single player content and lack of modes. Interesting that this is getting better scores for about the same thing.

Weird side commentary, so I apologize. I'm still bitter that Shadowrun never got a fair shake with gamers.

That's Shadowrun's fault for being garbage tbh.

phanphare

Banned
The "Nintendo gets a free pass" narrative that seems to have taken hold here is so strange to me. It's like those who pump it seem to be totally unaware of the irony that they post about it in threads in which half of the people are critical of something Nintendo is doing, or fail to realize that almost anything Nintendo does has been polarizing for a number of years now. Internet fan culture is so insular sometimes, it's almost like they aren't even aware of what's even going on around them at the time.

not to mention they're clearly not getting a pass. every review I've read has brought up the game's shortcomings and accounted for them in their take on the game as a whole. Jim Sterling was pretty thorough in his review and still gave the game an 8. that speaks volumes to me about the quality of the gameplay.

moomoo14

I did not know that there were only 5 maps and 2 modes. How is NoA charging $60 for this? That's crazy. If any other shooter did something like that, NeoGAF would explode.

Yes you are. It's clear what he meant and his word usage is appropriate to describe his experiences.

He didn't say that "It is impossible to turn around in 2.3 seconds".

There is no functional difference between what you posted and what he stated, besides the fact you attached a number to it.

Yep. It's a crazy low amount of maps and modes for a primarily online multiplayer game. If this was Battlefield or COD it would be getting crucified and be getting 6's in reviews. That said. I think the game looks super fun and I'll be picking it up. I do think there is a double standard with the reviews though.

That's because those games have changed very little over the years. Splatoon is a very unique game in a genre that's been done to death. The amount of content is disappointing, and I'm still unsure if I will be buying, but it seems reviewers feel it's extremely solid design, along with it's unique style, warrant 8's. If it was full of content as those other games are it would probably be getting 9's.

The "Nintendo gets a free pass" narrative that seems to have taken hold here is so strange to me. It's like those who pump it seem to be totally unaware of the irony that they post about it in threads in which half of the people are critical of something Nintendo is doing, or fail to realize that almost anything Nintendo does has been polarizing for a number of years now. Internet fan culture is so insular sometimes, it's almost like they aren't even aware of what's even going on around them at the time.

Well look at Jim sterlings Amiibo blurb..

boxter432

I did not know that there were only 5 maps and 2 modes. How is NoA charging $60 for this? That's crazy. If any other shooter did something like that, NeoGAF would explode.

b/c there is more coming (for free) throughout the year....clearly talked about in this thread and the reviews.

Optional challenge areas that you have to buy amiibos for in a game criticized for a lack of content.

Didnt evolve get ripped apart for selling monster skins at launch? and you need to go buy toys for parts of this game?

They are charging that much for it because when it's all said and done after all the content rolls in, it will be worth that price.

It's not like the postlaunch content is going to cost anything.

If you think it's a ripoff, all you do is wait a bit.

IGN whines about that it needs more content even though more content is already slated to be added in the coming months
Edit: I know they aren't reviewing what's not in the game yet, but they score they give it now is the score people are going to remember, not the score they might ive it after the new modes are added

Then Nintendo should have finished the game and added the content before releasing the game. Don't blame IGN for telling it like it is.

Trago

What I'm getting from some of these is that it's fun, but needs more content. I think I'll wait a while before buying this at full price.

MajorMane

I don't speak for everyone, but for me, when I played the testfire (which only had 1 gamemode and only 2 maps), it never felt stale like other shooters get. I think the impressive and different gameplay breathes a breath of fresh air into this game, making it easier to take. The promise of free additional content also helps, but I completely agree with reviews knocking the game for its launch content. It doesn't seem like a lot to start with and that should be mentioned for people thinking of getting it at launch.

Again, gameplay makes this game great. With all the additional content by August, I think (hope) that the game will be outstanding.

TheJoRu

I haven't, but, I guess I should have clarified I think they're getting a free pass in reviews.

I don't know what your observations are in terms of the reviews, but I feel they've done fair assessments of the value proposition at hand. I don't know what else they're supposed to say. They're acknowledging that future content is on the way; I haven't seen anyone using that to evaluate how much content there is in the game today, that's just a statement of fact which whoever's reading may or may not factor in when deciding whether they should buy the game.

Whatever the reviewer thinks of these kinds of content updates in general is in my opinion more appropriate for opinion pieces/analysises of a more, well, general nature. If it is complaints about that you're requesting (I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly).

I think it's good when reviews look at games from a isolated viewpoint, trying to see it as a value proposition and evaluating it merely from that. I don't like it when they try to make these sweeping statements about morals and ethics and business practices, which may matter to some in terms of buying or not buying a game, but has little to do with the isolated experience of playing the game.

cheesekao

It's impossible to dunk a basketball, because I can't do it. See what'a wrong now?
Nothing is wrong because it is impossible for that person to dunk in his current state. He's talking about himself, not for everyone else. Like I said, don't take everything at face value. Language can be flexible at times.

This review isn't working for me

404.jpg
Seems like they took it down?
Sorry about that, was working when I posted it.
I'll look for a new link

Papacheeks

Banned
Who is saying that?

Most people know what they are getting into.

It should not be factored into the review score but should still be mentioned in the review.

Then wait for the content to arrive. No one is forcing you to buy it now. There are 2 more modes coming.

Xamtheking among other's are saying the game should be reviewed for future content not what's currently being shown.

And then you have other's being smug with their Nintendo humor, saying comparing this game to something like Evolve is hilarious. When they both are primarily Multiplayer focused and both along with Titanfall have a lack of content.

Which is why i was saying double standard. People like Xamtheking really showing their Nintendo defense shields, among people defending a game that I'm just saying needs to be addressed for what's there on the disc, not what's to come.

MisterR

That's because those games have changed very little over the years. Splatoon is a very unique game in a genre that's been done to death. The amount of content is disappointing, and I'm still unsure if I will be buying, but it seems reviewers feel it's extremely solid design, along with it's unique style, warrant 8's. If it was full of content as those other games are it would probably be getting 9's.

I agree with you to a point. I love that it looks so new and fresh and is trying new stuff. That's why I'll be picking it up. Some of the stuff like having to leave a lobby to change loadout and the low content are worrying though. It looks like it's just super fun to play though and that makes up for a lot of problems.

Mdk7

is there another way to access the challenges besides buying amiibos?

cause if not, then no, to access those areas you need to go buy toys

Those areas are exactly the same single player missions, just with a different weapon.
But yeah, if you want to play those challenges (and 3 more NES style mini-games in the lobby) you need to buy the figurines.

pringles

The biggest issue is that this is an online-focused community-driven game.

If the playerbase falls off because there's no content, will they come back when the content is there? If people aren't playing the game, will people who waited go "okay, now's the time to jump in"? I don't think so.

If Destiny had all the content it has now off the bat, more people would be playing it to this day. If Titanfall had more maps, progression, etc from launch, would it be the next CoD instead of the blip in the radar it was?

That's why you need a lot of content at launch for a multiplayer game. People will get bored and won't look back if you don't.
I think there are different tastes and audiences when it comes to this. The very hardcore players always want the maximum amount of content because they play 6+ hours every day and burn through everything fast. Desiny's problem wasn't lack of content (IT WASN'T!), it was lack of fun in a lot of that content, a need for grinding, and taking too long to roll out patches/content. If Bungie had released a new multiplayer map each week, a new strike/raid every week or few weeks, and it actually had a fun singleplayer campaign.. there would be more people playing today and also less criticism.

Could there be more multi maps in Splatoon from day 1? Sure. But having only 5 will allow people to get to know them and considering more maps will be rolled out every now and then we won't be waiting months for 1 big Map DLC. As long as what's there is actually fun I don't see a problem. If this was all the content that was there until a DLC in August or further away, it would be a problem.

Shauni

Optional challenge areas that you have to buy amiibos for in a game criticized for a lack of content.

Didnt evolve get ripped apart for selling monster skins at launch? and you need to go buy toys for parts of this game?

They aren't optional new areas. You replay a map from single player with a specific challenge (timed, use only this certain weapons, etc.). The real content behind the amiibos is the costume you unlock and the 8-bit minigame by doing these missions. How much that is worth is up to you, but no, you are not getting new, optional areas with amiibo for Splatoon.

Exile20

How did people miss every splatoon thread and info all over the internet, including the direct yet somehow found this review thread to complain about the lack of maps and modes?

I mean it is possible like the other guy said but wow.

Razmos

is there another way to access the challenges besides buying amiibos?

cause if not, then no, to access those areas you need to go buy toys
They aren't even areas, they are just the single player levels, except you use a different weapon. That's it.

Don't act like it's some huge content being held back when it's something incredibly minor.

Raide

Agree with the GameTrailers Review. Game could be outstanding in a few months time when the content and modes are there. Currently seems like a charming shooter with barebones content and some odd design choices.

If it gets support like Mario Kart currently does, 6 months down the line it might be one of the systems best online shooters...not that it has a load of competition. It does certainly look like Nintendo's attempt at making their version of Halo. A very Nintendo game. Cute, great controls but still a bit backwards.

phanphare

Banned
This is kind of off-topic but I've never understood reviewers that use full 100-point scales. Like what's the difference between an 8.4 and an 8.3 or 8.5?

8.4 = great, day 1, please buy, very excite

8.3 = meh, I'll wait until it's $10 and the Wii U is in the bargain bin

Servbot24

Banned
This is kind of off-topic but I've never understood reviewers that use full 100-point scales. Like what's the difference between an 8.4 and an 8.3 or 8.5?

8.5 is slightly better than 8.4 and 8.4 is slightly better than 8.3.

If you prefer, you're welcome to simply think of them all as 8s.

cheesekao

They aren't even areas, they are just the single player levels, except you use a different weapon. That's it.

Don't act like it's some huge content being held back when it's something incredibly minor.
The value of that content is relative. I've spent many hours in challenge modes trying to beat them and get high scores.

Penguin

I find this funny and STILL in their review

CGBQPVjUsAEKEXp.png

It's been a whole 6 months since Nintendo's last new IP (which isn't true, nor would 2004 make sense either)

Nairume

Banned
They are charging that much for it because when it's all said and done after all the content rolls in, it will be worth that price.

It's not like the postlaunch content is going to cost anything.

If you think it's a ripoff, all you do is wait a bit.
Yeah, it basically just sounds like they decided to bake the season pass into the final cost so they don't cause the user base to get fractioned.

I find this funny and STILL in their review

CGBQPVjUsAEKEXp.png

It's been a whole 6 months since Nintendo's last new IP (which isn't true, nor would 2004 make sense either)
I guess they aren't counting CNS because they don't consider Intelligent Systems an internal studio.

Alternatively, everybody forgot about CNS.

A 100-point scale makes sense when it's used to average other scores, such as gameplay, sound, story, etc., which is how GT does it (or at least it's how they used to, not sure if they still do)

IGN's 100-point scale has never really made sense, since their score is not an average.

Kriken

So you can insult YouTube personalities by saying a 8.9 isn't a 9/10

Exile20

Xamtheking among other's are saying the game should be reviewed for future content not what's currently being shown.

And then you have other's being smug with their Nintendo humor, saying comparing this game to something like Evolve is hilarious. When they both are primarily Multiplayer focused and both along with Titanfall have a lack of content.

Which is why i was saying double standard. People like Xamtheking really showing their Nintendo defense shields, among people defending a game that I'm just saying needs to be addressed for what's there on the disc, not what's to come.

Splatoon has a 5-7 hour meaty single player with lots of creativity and lore.

Titanfall and Evlove basically have none. Just bots.

Percy

Banned
Shadowrun was panned from the beginning because no one expected a shooter from the franchise. It had nothing to do with the quality of the game.

I had no investment in the Shadowrun franchise at all before playing the 360 one and I still found it an incredibly boring experience when I played it and ended up dropping it pretty quick. So it's probably fair to say my problems with it had everything to do with the quality of the game.

Top Bottom