• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

Air

Banned
Haven't played this game at all this month due to a job. Sounds like when I get back there's gonna be a lot to mess around with.

Geg

znwfWsu.jpg

I've been waiting for the friend match ups, but they went even further beyond. This is like receiving a five course meal. Hell no to S rank though. I've never even scraped A-.

I pretty much gave up on ranked once I fell out of A- and spent three hours in the B+ trenches trying to get back up. I love the modes but struggle over getting a high rank is more stress than it's worth

You just get used to it. I use stick controls and put it at a really low sensitivity so it's easier to aim.

Keep in mind people are not used to it because of the 0 auto aim or aim assist

I was under the impression the controls were bad not the auto aim. I was refering to people saying that the horizontal speed is slower than the vertical issue and that you canot fix it.

Confusing bad controls with auto aim seems ... impossible no?

As for auto aim i don't like games with auto aim, not a fan of COD. I play allot of Plants vs Zombies garden warfare so i'm used to no relying on that. But still i really doubt thousand of people that complained about the controls were actualy confusing that with auto aim ...

MGrant

Holy shit, yes. I just started playing again last night after taking a month off for The Witcher 3. Now if only they would fix Arowana Mall.
More like "I-don't-wanna" Mall, am i right?

Geg

Unless I'm reading this wrong, no Turf War for the squad battle mode? Boo. Would've liked to have seen that as an option.

Ohh you're right I didn't even notice that. That's a bit disappointing.

Though if those games actually affect your rank that'll be helpful for coasting up the ranks playing on gaf teams

I really want to get this game, but i've been reading on how TERRIBLE the stick controls are. Gyro is a no go for me. Any word if they will be fixing the sensitivity issues the game has on gamepad?

Saying you will get used to it is not an option. :)

You won't get used to it, especially if you used to play a lot of shooters on PS/XBOX controllers.

But the game is really fun.

SM239

I really want to get this game, but i've been reading on how TERRIBLE the stick controls are. Gyro is a no go for me. Any word if they will be fixing the sensitivity issues the game has on gamepad?

As someone that uses sticks only I'll go ahead and say that stick controls are fine it's just that lack of aim assist that throws people off. And yes I've put hundreds of hours into other shooters on other consoles as well.

Edit: I missed your 2nd response above. Yes there is a vertical and horizontal speed difference. I had forgotten as this was only an issue for the first 15 or 30 minutes before it became transparent. Still give the game a chance if you can, but yes the vertical/horizontal speed difference exists.

I wonder if this game could have gotten a 90 on metacritic if it released in the state it will be in the August 6th update (and didn't have that stupid 2 map 4 hour rotation system and instead was something more normal)

Zubz

Banned
I still haven't played nearly enough of this game. Having terrible Internet during the week and having busy weekends does that to you, though. What do I need to do if I want to get into GAF matches/GAF Squads?

As someone that uses sticks only I'll go ahead and say that stick controls are fine it's just that lack of aim assist that throws people off. And yes I've put hundreds of hours into other shooters on other consoles as well.

Are people really that COD'ified? lol
Well if that's the issue darn i think i will give this game a chance.

Thank you.

Neiteio

The new level cap and gear make me excited to jump back into Splatoon (once I beat the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne). I kind of lost interest in Splatoon once I fully leveled my character and optimized gear that was fresh and functional. I mean, the game is always a blast to play, but it's nice to have goals to work toward. Well-done, Nintendo.

I was under the impression the controls were bad not the auto aim. I was refering to people saying that the horizontal speed is slower than the vertical issue and that you canot fix it.

As for auto aim i don't like games with auto aim, not a fan of COD. I play allot of Plants vs Zombies garden warfare so i'm used to no relying on that. But still i really doubt thousand of people that complained about the controls were actualy confusing that with auto aim ...

I'm not saying they confused them, just that it felt "off" from what they're used to.

Neiteio

I want to join a GAF squad but I'm afraid I'll be chastised for one thing or another.

"Neiteio, stop painting dicks on the ground!"

I can vouch for this sticks are fine in this game

I'm gonna actually try and play with GAF now that theres teams. Before I avoided doing it because I'm pretty sure it would go down similar to my experiences in Smash Bros and Mario Kart
(getting my ass kicked),
most of y'all are god tier compared to the average player

This is not true at all, i play shooters all the time and they are fine, the only problem (for some) is a lack of aim assist.
You will be fine if you turn down the camera sensitivity and practice for a bit, they are not broken at all.

Dr Prob

Banned

You're right, horizontal aiming speed is different than vertical, you can't alter it aside from changing the general sensitivity and it's bizarre. Must be an effect of how the gyro aiming is integrated or something because there's really no logical reason for it to be that way. You're also right in that for some reason people tend to read right through that specific complaint and feel the need to counter with "no aim-assist" etc. Sounds like I'm winding up to take a huge shit on the controls -- but I'm not -- you can do just fine with the sticks and if you're interested in the game that shouldn't stop you from playing. But it certainly is a seemingly unnecessary thing that does exist.

Awesome news. I know I'm not good enough for some (most) of you so I am going to need to team up with the ~B+ level gaffers and wreak some havoc :)

AdanVC

Aw yes the update everyone has been waiting for even before the game was released. GOTY keeps getting better and better!

Anteo

A competent charger can cover the choke points into the center area pretty well. If a team has two of them, which happens often in gaf rooms because chargers are popular weapons for whatever reason, they can pretty much lock out the whole opposing team

I've been guilty of this, a few tmes I got 4 kills by rushing to the middle in turf wars and camping in the middle ramp.

I'm gonna miss that spot

Anteo

I got super lucky with my teams and got carried to A+ 70 before getting knocked back to A 60..
I dont even know how I'm gonna get past S-

AdanVC

This is the best game Nintendo has produced in years, not to say in a decade. I have my 4p team already, team rankings will take all our nights.

This. Can't believe this game was conceived relatively quickly and they managed to create a game with a truly unique gameplay wich is also addictive, fun and competitive af. Games with this caliber of awesomeness appear every 10 years or so. Soon, Splatoon is gonna become as popular and exciting as Mario Kart or Smash. Just imagine how Splatoon 2 is going to be! hnnggnng

NeoRausch

What do you guys think?

Will we just start at LVL20 or will the accumulated points since hitting LVL20 be counted and raise us right after the update?

backlot

What do you guys think?

Will we just start at LVL20 or will the accumulated points since hitting LVL20 be counted and raise us right after the update?

What would be the point of raising the level cap if people just instantly hit the new cap after the update?

NeoRausch

What would be the point of raising the level cap if people just instantly hit the new cap after the update?

Eh, the amount of points gets bigger with every level. You would hit LVL50 that fast.

Driveclub was raided from 50 to 60 with the old numbers counting. I'm still at 59....
Haven't played that much though

Neoxon

I hope in this or a future update we would get more controller options, more specifically adding Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk pointer controls with the Wii U GamePad nearby to view the map. Having said that, the new update sounds wonderful!
So basically you want Splatoon to take the Pikmin 3 approach.

Spades

Despite being addicted to Splatoon on launch for a good month, I haven't touched it since. This update will be my reason to jump back in.

Top Bottom