• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I hope none of that is true. Sounds spectacularly lame.
I'm pretty sure it is. They're way too specific about certain details - especially the end boss fight. And everything matches what we've learned so far.

Nice to know Cortana's "heroic sacrifice" at the end of 'Halo 4' was totally meaningless, and that everyone at 343i has been lying through their teeth about her "death" for the last 3 years.

Lol. Only 3 more years until the next game now...

At least Fred, Kelly, and Linda survive. That was my big worry.

That sounds like bad fan fiction. Not saying that it's untrue, though. I don't know what's with this obsession with Cortana in the Halo universe. It was eye-rollingly dumb way back in Halo 3, now it's so much worse.

If that's true then 343 continues their habit of making deviant art tier fan fiction canon. Rampancy being cured like that? The forerunners being literal space wizards was dumb enough.

XAL

Cortana going villain? Can't wait for Jen Taylor's performance in Halo 6.

YES

Going full Marathon on our asses.

Durandal, Cortana, Joyeuse.

Even Roland figures into the mythology...THOSE BASTARDS.

:)

Well done 343.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I can't wait to endure another 3 years of "Just wait! The power of her and the Chief's looove will save her!"

Also the notion of her actually getting a physical form...it's like every bad fanfic writers dream.

God help me.

Why couldn't they just let her rest? Also yeah so much for the Chief learning to cope with loss too...unless of course they were referring to how he can't talk her down at the end of the game. But still, what a cop-out.

Synner117

Neo Member
I'd be hugely surprised if this is true. That plot sounds like it was written for a middle school essay contest. "...asks any AI to join her cause. Tons do and they get cured of rampancy as well." This part sounds plain awful. Awful writing. I refuse to believe it until there is concrete proof. As a huge lore fan and someone who buys every book at release I will be severely let down if the writing is this poor.

TheOddOne

Nice to know Cortana's "heroic sacrifice" at the end of 'Halo 4' was totally meaningless, and that everyone at 343i has been lying through their teeth about her "death" for the last 3 years.
Not defending their writing, but there were enough signs at something being up with Cortana during the end of Halo 4. Specifically her meeting with The Librarian which was never explained (and somehow could do all kinds of space magic after).

Also, them dangling the rampancy at every corner is a dead giveaway for them finding some kind of fix for it.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Reddit is still in total blackout mode, and I could only get the info from the leaker over a PM.

...So I suppose there is a chance it's fake, but the specific nature of the details they gave make me pretty confident it's real. Maybe Stinkles will appear soon to confirm or deny?

Synner117

Neo Member
Reddit is still in total blackout mode, and I could only get the info from the leaker over a PM.

...So I suppose there is a chance it's fake, but the specific nature of the details they gave make me pretty confident it's real. Maybe Stinkles will appear soon to confirm or deny?

Ask for pictures.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
​Note the details though. It matches up with everything - the opening's weird focus on Cortana in Halsey's lab, Roland's outburst, the Domain is "her" now, the achievement for killing 2 Wardens, presence of the cryptum in the menu screen of the final level...it all adds up.

That sounds true TBH, not that I'll complain with the thread finally delivering.

But yeah, that would be a cliffhanger. A Halo based one at that.

The Eternal Warden part seems to go against what Stinkles said early in this thread.

The Warden Eternal is a single, distinct personality. :)

We know there are multiple wardens but Eternal seems to be the big boss man of them all. Could be possible that he's Halo's equivalent of Harbinger tho. We'll see of October 27th.

catmario

So... that AI rebellion plot...

I think this rebellion is connected to ORION. (AIs council that formed at 2321)

Maybe we will see that at Halo 6 or Terminal.

Edit: Oops. I misread Halo Reach Datapads Sorry. But AI Council thing The Assembly could lead this AI Rebellion.

dude527

Neo Member
Its been a while since I played Halo 4, but was there anything in there that would explain why when Chief falls and cracks his head he has a weird vision of Cortana who seemingly tells him where to go and the rest of Blue Team blindly believes him? I mean if my squad mate just smashed his head on the ground and told us we needed to go to a distant planet to get his blue friend lady, I wouldn't exactly be rushing to go.

They humor him because they're concerned at first. Then, when Master Chief reports in to Infinity about the interaction and Infinity confirms it's happening elsewhere, Blue Team decides to take the issue a bit more seriously.

UKUMI0

They humor him because they're concerned at first. Then, when Master Chief reports in to Infinity about the interaction and Infinity confirms it's happening elsewhere, Blue Team decides to take the issue a bit more seriously.

John: Sierra-117 to Infinity. Argent Moon scuttled. I've reassigned Blue Team. Destination: Meridian. Potential contact from Cortana.
Infinity: Negative 117. Another team is already being prepped to deal with her.
Fred: What the Hell?
Infinity: You're to return to Infinity immediately.
John: Negative Infinity.
*Switches off communication pad*
John: I don't like it.

dude527

Neo Member
If this spoiler stuff is true, they seem to be resetting the Halo universe in a way. This seems to play within the previously-established rules of the story, obviously, but doesn't at all seem like a logical progression of events from what was happening previously. I was expecting something more with the Didact, also involving the Covenant having access to the Absolute Record and the Janus Key, and that somehow tying back into this bigger Flood/Precursor narrative that's apparently ever-looming on the horizon. What we apparently have here seems like a subplot, at best. It would be like if they made Halo 4 solely about getting Cortana back to Earth, but still had the Chief awaken the Didact and stuff in the meantime, except having the game end just as the Chief finally got back to Earth, without telling us what happened with the Didact.

Whether or not I actually like this will, I suppose, completely depend on how the storytelling is executed. I'm not opposed to more narrative hurdles, so long as they make sense. I'm already a bit gutted that there don't seem to be any significant reveals about the nature of the Domain or the Precursors or the Flood, but I can live with that as long as 343 reclaims that narrative focus down the line. What gets me here is that this game doesn't really seem to be about anything, other than Cortana waking up these weird Guardian things.

I guess I'm getting a bit too analytical about what could be a fake spoiler, but I enjoy doing this shit pre-launch, so it's all good.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Reactions from some peeps at one of my other forums, before the mods locked it down:

So there's going to be loads of Cortana rage on every Halo forum. Great. I thought Cortana was being brought back as a corrupted version of herself and in the end was going to regain control for a bit and tell Chief to move on (obviously not the exact wording) but this will just open the floodgates. I am hoping that this is not true or her portrayal in the game doesn't become that bad, like when she talks to Chief she becomes heavily conflicted. At the very least not becoming extremely two-dimensional.
That makes absolutely no sense! Did they actually give a reason why she is evil? Why she is doing all of this? What she actually gets out of it!? This is so out of character, its not even funny! And the domain just miraculously cures her of rampancy? How? Where does she even gain access to it from?
I really hope that ending is fake. AI revolution, holy shit what a cliche.
Cortana's stupid revival is something i've always been against. And for good reason, it seems. I really hope this is bullshit. They can't possibly have shat on Cortana's development in the last 4 games as colossally as this.

Well, shit. And here I was holding on to the hope it would be a Forerunner entity or the Domain posing as Cortana. And of course, by the end of H6 she'll be "redeemed" so she and the Chief can be together forever because the Librarian predestined it or some shit. I mean, she got a nice, emotional farewell scene in H4 (despite the slightly creepy hardlight chest-touching). She got closure. And now they're recycling her to be a bad guy? I guess it's validating all the fan theories from the Halo CE/2 days when people were speculating that Cortana is playing some long game of her own to take over the universe or something but it's a complete 180 from the character arc they actually went with in H3/H4. Or are we supposed to believe she was a bad guy all along and her whole characterization up until now has been an act?

Im probably overreacting but it feels like with this, if true etc, then all the expanded universe stuff since 343 have taken over feels very minor if this is the direction they're taking the story in. I mean Halo 6 could still have the Precursors and the Flood but it feels like the only thing of relevance from Halo 4 is...not a lot, really.

I mean i know context can help, but it didnt exactly help Halo 2, did it?

Although the ending does make it seem like if people dont bow before God Empress Cortana then she pilots a Halo into a system and fires it...

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I'm actually legit wondering now if this is going to all end up leading to some convoluted way to get Cortana a body so she and the Chief can screw just like in all the fanfics...good lord. Because a 50 year old man being hung up on a digital clone of his bizzaro adoptive mother isn't weird or anything. Or does this mean we'll have to kill her again later? Honestly this is such a strange turn for the story to take I have no clue what to think about the future of this franchise.

Also nice to know the other members of Blue Team are basically non-essential to the story in their first ever in-game appearance. Can't wait to see how much more they get jipped in the future before their inevitable deaths.

rrc1594

I'm actually legit wondering now if this is going to all end up leading to some convoluted way to get Cortana a body so she and the Chief can screw just like in all the fanfics...good lord. Because a 50 year old man being hung up on a digital clone of his bizzaro adoptive mother isn't weird or anything. Or does this mean we'll have to kill her again later? Honestly this is such a strange turn for the story to take I have no clue what to think about the future of this franchise.

Also nice to know the other members of Blue Team are basically non-essential to the story in their first ever in-game appearance. Can't wait to see how much more they get jipped in the future before their inevitable deaths.

Damn....sometimes I forget how old he is

Flipyap

Damn....sometimes I forget how old he is
Biologically, he'd be 42, tops.
One thing I'd like 343's story crew to do is to start listing two ages for people who spend a lot of time in cryo and slipspace. We'd probably start seeing some interesting differences between time-since-birth and biological age, at least in the case of people like Ol' Johnny.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That ending sounds pretty damn good, actually. Wonder how the moment-to-moment scenes and dialogue are.

Also I totally called it about Cortana, lol. Jen Taylor gettin p a i d

Jawmuncher

Cool sounds like for now at least that Master Chief and Locke don't become buddy buddy which was my biggest fear. I was already expecting some dumb stuff with cortana so that whatever.

Really hope they keep Locke and Chief adversaries throughout this.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
The leaker didn't say specifically what happens to Osiris at the end (aside from that they don't die), but I assume if everyone is taking refuge on the Infinity, Osiris and Blue Team are allied. Also it's Locke that breaks Chief out of the Cryptum - so while they're not "buddies", I don't see them being enemies in the future either. They'll probably be like how the Arbiter is with the Chief now; respectful.

Deadly

We could get the choice between playing Blue team and Fireteam Osiris the next game! That would be pretty ambitious and awesome.

Since Cortana was taken into the domain... How are we even sure it's her? We don't even know what the domain is from the details. It seems to fit the mission descriptions what with the mission changing from 'retrieve' to 'rescue'. Also seems hardly like curing them of rampancy...more like converting them to forerunner-status.

Interesting though. I think I like.

Top Bottom