• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

khaois

Banned
Yeah, okay "scaryrobots". You gonna go make another 'cortanafans' blog again, complain about how people have legitimate concerns about the unhealthy psychological implications of a Chief/Cortana romance, only to delete it five minutes later?

Seriously if all you're here to do is troll about how much you want a 50 year old man to screw a hologram he knew for 3 months, you need to bring something better to the argument than this.

Who is scaryrobots? And what the heck are you talking about? No one is talking about John screwing Cortana. All I've seen from your posts is you constantly hating Cortana and getting upset at anyone defending her or Chief and Cortana's relationship in any form. i think I'll ignore you, it'll be for the best.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Who is scaryrobots? And what the heck are you talking about? No one is talking about John screwing Cortana. All I've seen from your posts is you constantly hating Cortana and getting upset at anyone defending her or Chief and Cortana's relationship in any form. i think I'll ignore you, it'll be for the best.
I'll criticize anyone who tries to assert unhealthy psychological obsessions are somehow the foundation of a good relationship. I'm all for Chief and Cortana being friends, but the weirdness surrounding how they portray her character is really uncomfortable to me. Looks like things won't be any better in Halo 5 either. If that doesn't bother you, then fine. But I have just as much right to express my opinion as you do.

NoBL3Z

I'll criticize anyone who tries to assert unhealthy psychological obsessions are somehow the foundation of a good relationship. I'm all for Chief and Cortana being friends, but the weirdness surrounding how they portray her character is really uncomfortable to me. Looks like things won't be any better in Halo 5 either. If that doesn't bother you, then fine. But I have just as much right to express my opinion as you do.

You're taking it way too deep

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Her behavior though is better classified as her being rampant:

"develops delusions of godlike power," as well as utter contempt for its mentally inferior makers - Bungiepedia

It simply doesn't make much sense to me for Cortana become the villain in her original normal state. If they were going to go that route they should have created some conceit that allowed her to bypass the eventual lifespan of an AI but she remained rampant.Then eventually they could go the cure route of the remapping from Halsey they mentioned in Halo 4.
That's why I'm kind of confused by this turn of events. Why bring Cortana back and "cure" her of rampancy, if she's just going to be evil and crazy anyway. It's really redundant. Why couldn't it have been the Didact - who is already evil and crazy - posing as Cortana or something?

Trup1aya

Her behavior though is better classified as her being rampant:

"develops delusions of godlike power," as well as utter contempt for its mentally inferior makers - Bungiepedia

It simply doesn't make much sense to me for Cortana become the villain in her original normal state. If they were going to go that route they should have created some conceit that allowed her to bypass the eventual lifespan of an AI but she remained rampant.Then eventually they could go the cure route of the remapping from Halsey they mentioned in Halo 4.

Well, what you are saying seems to me like what is actually happening...

When the poster suggested she was 'cured', it seems he really meant that she rid herself of the death sentence... People need to dissociate the two. rampancy eventually leads to AI death... She just got rid of the death part.

Still, the idea of villainy is always going to be a matter of perspective... Since her inception she's watched sentient life refuse to cease an existence of perpetual conflict. Every opportunity for peace is met with decisions from all parties to continue hostilities...

Then she gets access to the domain and sees that the same trend has carried on for Billions of years... From a binary perspective the true villain is free will, because society will inevitably make the wrong choices...

It's almost as if the flood was right all along

Fracas

#fuckonami
Y'all are crazy. I like the idea of Cortana becoming a threat. The flood are super played out and forerunner stuff bores me to tears.

I do agree that if her entering the domain cures her rampancy (and that no longer becomes a plot point) then that's kind of lame.

Synner117

Neo Member
I still can't believe this is the true plot. If anything this seems like something that could be covered in 1-2 missions as a precursor (haha) to a larger, much more developed story arc. One that has an ending and not an ambiguous tease for Halo 6 in 2018 on Xbox ONE 2. Why wouldn't this be covered through exposition and cutscenes after the first couple missions? If this is true I hope somehow 343 executes the storytelling in a way that it doesn't feel as generic as it sounds and carries itself without as much balderdash as it seems to have.

Vire

When the poster suggested she was 'cured', it seems he really meant that she rid herself of the death sentence...

Still, the idea of villainy is always going to be a matter of perspective... Since her inception she's watched sentient life refuse to cease an existence of perpetual conflict. Every opportunity for peace is met with decisions from all parties to continue hostilities...

Then she gets access to the domain and sees that the same trend has carried on for Billions of years... From a binary perspective the true villain is free will, because society will inevitably make the wrong choices...

I think basically what it boils down to was that synopsis was very poorly written so it's impossible to tell what "cured" entails.

If it's what I explained, then I'm certainly more okay with that...

Y'all are crazy. I like the idea of Cortana becoming a threat. The flood are super played out and forerunner stuff bores me to tears.

I do agree that if her entering the domain cures her rampancy (and that no longer becomes a plot point) then that's kind of lame.

Sounds like Cortana got a memory upgrade so far she is not longer restrained by UNCS laws

greenleafcm

Neo Member

When the poster suggested she was 'cured', it seems he really meant that she rid herself of the death sentence...

That's an excellent point. I think you're right in that we're taking the word "cured" too literally.

We've seen this plot lots of times before...ME3, and iRobot come to my mind first, but I know there's more.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I think basically what it boils down to was that synopsis was very poorly written so it's impossible to tell what "cured" entails.

If it's what I explained, then I'm certainly more okay with that...
Honestly I think it would be even more lame to go through all this just so Cortana can "live forever" through being fixed by Halsey. Life without death is meaningless, and why should Cortana have to sacrifice nothing when practically every other character in this story has sacrificed everything? That seems pretty weak.

NoBL3Z

I still can't believe this is the true plot. If anything this seems like something that could be covered in 1-2 missions as a precursor (haha) to a larger, much more developed story arc. One that has an ending and not an ambiguous tease for Halo 6 in 2018 on Xbox ONE 2. Why wouldn't this be covered through exposition and cutscenes after the first couple missions? If this is true I hope somehow 343 executes the storytelling in a way that it doesn't feel as generic as it sounds and carries itself without as much balderdash as it seems to have.

I don't think it's that simple. We still need more details to draw a proper conclusion

Vire

Honestly I think it would be even more lame to go through all this just so Cortana can "live forever" through being fixed by Halsey. Life without death is meaningless, and why should Cortana have to sacrifice nothing when practically every other character in this story has sacrificed everything? That seems pretty weak.

Oh no, I'm with you. I would prefer her to ultimately meet her demise and Chief deal with the ultimate repercussions (an Iron Man Demon in the Bottle storyline if you will), but 343 seems deathly afraid of offing Cortana once and for all given the fact that they came up with some possible "cure" out in the dialogue written in Halo 4 and obviously her appearance in Halo 5.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Oh no, I'm with you. I would prefer her to ultimately meet her demise and Chief deal with the ultimate repercussions, but 343 seems deathly afraid of offing Cortana once and for all given the fact that they came up with some possible "cure" out in the dialogue written in Halo 4 and obviously her appearance in Halo 5.
Yeah I feel the same way. Sadly though if they couldn't handle giving her a quiet, respectful death like what she got in 'Halo 4' - I just don't see them killing her again after such a bombastic return. Which frustrates me because I highly doubt my favorite characters (Blue Team) will be granted such a reprieve from death.

What still bothers me though is how the devs insisted Cortina was dead for the last 3 years, that they would honor her "legacy", and so forth...I get trying to keep the plot a secret, but come on. Flat out lying to such a degree is not a cool way to garner trust with your fanbase/customers.

Trup1aya

Oh no, I'm with you. I would prefer her to ultimately meet her demise and Chief deal with the ultimate repercussions (an Iron Man Demon in the Bottle storyline if you will), but 343 seems deathly afraid of offing Cortana once and for all given the fact that they came up with some possible "cure" out in the dialogue written in Halo 4 and obviously her appearance in Halo 5.

I'd be surprised if Cortana makes it out of this intact... But I think letting her die in Halo4 without toying with the idea of a rampant AI who "didn't die when she was supposed to" would be a waste...

I also like how it's another one of the Librarians plans blowing up in her face... People keep referencing destiny as it pertains to the this series, despite what to me are obvious attempts from the writers to emphasize that life is going to do it's thing regardless of what strings people try to pull...

all these entities keep coming up with 'plans' for the Galaxy, only for those plans to get shit on...

Yeah I feel the same way. Sadly though if they couldn't handle giving her a quiet, respectful death like what she got in 'Halo 4' - I just don't see them killing her again after such a bombastic return. Which frustrates me because I highly doubt my favorite characters (Blue Team) will be granted such a reprieve from death.

What still bothers me though is how the devs insisted Cortina was dead for the last 3 years, that they would honor her "legacy", and so forth...I get trying to keep the plot a secret, but come on. Flat out lying to such a degree is not a cool way to garner trust with your fanbase/customers.

Blame ONI

Why would they do that, why would cortana gets special threatment but not other IAs, Halsey was incarcerate and labeled as a war criminal so far ONI is just covering all their movements pre Halo 4

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Did the leaker mention who was the new ally Osiris encounters?
The description I posted was everything they wrote me word for word. That "ally" is the only kind of main detail they don't include in their summary. However I have a feeling it might just be the Arbiter coming back to help Osiris. Seeing as how he's apparently present on the Infinity at the end of the game. Could be someone/something else though. I suppose I could message them again about it, but I'm so dissapointed in the plot at this point I don't really care who it is anyway. :\

NoBL3Z

The description I posted was everything they wrote me word for word. That "ally" is the only kind of main detail they don't include in their summary. However I have a feeling it might just be the Arbiter coming back to help Osiris. Seeing as how he's apparently present on the Infinity at the end of the game. Could be someone/something else though. I suppose I could message them again about it, but I'm so dissapointed in the plot at this point I don't really care who it is anyway. :

It can't be Arbiter because he isn't a new ally. And that leak didn't say everything about the plot. It was a simplified paraphrase

Vire

Seems weird to me that based on the description that was written a few pages back, the ONI hunt is entirely put to the wayside and isn't actually important at all to the main plot since Locke just ends up abandoning that mission.

All of the marketing, hunt the truth promotional materials was basically deemed irrelevant. So much for the greatest hunt ever told in gaming history? Unless we are obviously missing something here.

dude527

Neo Member
Still doesn't change the fact that everything about Cortana is intrinsically based on Halsey's appearance, preferences, and personality. They're not 100% identical in every way, but it's impossible to completely separate them from each other. As well as how the uncomfortable nature of Cortana's interest in Chief has been touched upon in canon multiple times.

...I honestly can't believe whenever I see people trying to defend this. "Halsey is only like John's adoptive mother, so that makes it okay." Its like an episode of Jerry Springer. XD

You're exaggerating how similar they are, especially after over nine years of Cortana being herself. AIs in Halo are never exact replicas of their brain donors. Many of them are only marginally similar. Then they drift more and more from that original base the longer they are alive and learning. Cortana may be more similar to Halsey than most other AIs are to their brain donors, but she's still not Halsey and much of her appearance, preferences, and personality are original. Sidenote: It's actually pretty silly to compare Cortana and Halsey in terms of appearance, because Cortana has undergone so many rather drastic appearance changes at this point. You could argue that all her iterations are based on Dr. Halsey, but I would argue against that myself.

It can't be Arbiter because he isn't a new ally. And that leak didn't say everything about the plot. It was a simplified paraphrase

Seeing as the screen shot of the final mission shows a blue version of the didacts ship from H4 It could just be Iso-Didact. I really hope not though since Ur-Didacts character in H4 was executed so poorly that another one showing up and being an ally is just going to confuse literally anyone who didn't read the books.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
While I'm sure there's more to it than that, the absolute basic premise of an evil!Cortana being behind everything is enough for me not to care. I can still message them though if you really want me to...

Seems weird to me that based on the description that was written a few pages back, the ONI hunt is entirely put to the wayside and isn't actually important at all to the main plot since Locke just ends up abandoning that mission.

All of the marketing, hunt the truth promotional materials was basically deemed irrelevant. So much for the greatest hunt ever told in gaming history? Unless we are obviously missing something here.

This is why I'm hoping these spoilers aren't true. All that was a red herring for... this?

dude527

Neo Member

It's been pretty clear from the beginning trailer in 2013 that Chief's story would be the main focus, so I've always thought it was pretty obvious that Locke's story would just be something of a promotional diversion; since he is supposedly just a foil for Chief's character, he theoretically shouldn't be that significant. So I've always thought they were focusing on the hunt and Locke's fireteam Osiris in the promo material because they were distracting us from what Blue Team was up to with the Guardians. Basically I thought they were saving the important stuff for the actual game and it was working.

Never would've guessed Locke got the majority of the game to himself and they literally just weren't showing much of Blue Team because there apparently isn't much to show. Also never would have guessed that Locke ends up saving the helpless Chief in the end. He's supposed to just be a lens character in this game, for fuck sake.

The salt and denial over the Oedipus complex / incestuous undertones in Chief and Cortana's relationship ITT is hilarious.

If the AIs really start splitting up, I can only imagine that Mendicant / Offensive Bias will play a huge role in the conflict.

NoBL3Z

While I'm sure there's more to it than that, the absolute basic premise of an evil!Cortana being behind everything is enough for me not to care. I can still message them though if you really want me to...

Please do

Seeing as the screen shot of the final mission shows a blue version of the didacts ship from H4 It could just be Iso-Didact. I really hope not though since Ur-Didacts character in H4 was executed so poorly that another one showing up and being an ally is just going to confuse literally anyone who didn't read the books.
I agree it would, but then again I guess that Cryptum has Chief in it, which still brings up the question whose Cryptum was it originally?

I completely agree. Too many people jumping to conclusions and drawing up assumptions before letting the information sink and picking apart what parts is missing. In a different supposed leak, someone stated Chief kills Osman and Locke takes over as head of ONI, because they wanted to use the Guardians to wipe the remaining Elites.

Trup1aya

What do you mean? It sounds like they will be searching for chief up until the last mission. Then it sounds like he may slip away again...

Vire

What do you mean? It sounds like they will be searching for chief up until the last mission. Then it sounds like he may slip away again...

Based on what that person wrote, it most certainly seems like a hunt mission turns into a rescue mission. Basically making the ONI "hunt" threadline entirely irrelevant.

Trup1aya

Based on what that person wrote, it most certainly seems like a hunt mission turns into a rescue mission. Basically making the ONI "hunt" threadline entirely irrelevant.

Well if his mission is to bring him into custody, and he's in someone else's custody, then a rescue is in order...

What happens after the rescue? This is supposedly the 'beginning of a hunt'

That said it wouldn't be the first time the marketing has been misleading. Remember Halo 2, when we hardly fought on earth and didn't come close to 'finishing the fight'

NoBL3Z

I don't think it's irrelevant. Remember we're still missing information on the other Osiris missions

Trup1aya

Please do

I agree it would, but then again I guess that Cryptum has Chief in it, which still brings up the question whose Cryptum was it originally?

I completely agree. Too many people jumping to conclusions and drawing up assumptions before letting the information sink and picking apart what parts is missing. In a different supposed leak, someone stated Chief kills Osman and Locke takes over as head of ONI, because they wanted to use the Guardians to wipe the remaining Elites.

Where is that other leak?

Vire

Well if his mission is to bring him into custody, and he's in someone else's custody, then a rescue is in order...

What happens after the rescue? This is supposedly the 'beginning of a hunt'

That said it wouldn't be the first time the marketing has been misleading. Remember Halo 2, when we hardly fought on earth and didn't come close to 'finishing the fight'

That really was due to poor planning and mismanagement, Bungie had every intention of having significantly more Earth missions, but were cut due to scope reasons.

This just seems like arbitrary intentional misdirection. That being said, we still don't have all the pieces to the puzzle.

K.Sabot

Was hoping they'd be setting up for some Children of the Mind quality science fiction stupidity, glad to see we're still on track for that.

Did you really think the hunt was going to be the main part of this story? It's a side story. What you're doing through the entire campaign basically is hunting the truth. At least all the way up to the point where Locke likely figures out what's really going on.

NoBL3Z

Where is that other leak?

Here's the supposed fake leak:

"The guardians are old flood defense mechanisms. Chief is activating them so that Cortana in the domain can use them, cuz it turns out a fully corrupted Didact is leading the flood against the galaxy. ONI wants to use them to wipe out the rest of the elites while they're at their weakest, but Osman gets kilt by Chief and Halsey. Locke takes over ONI.

Not bad, if true.

The "osiris must stop the guardians" of the last level could be read as "stop the guardians from blowing the F out of the sangheili because Osman.

The "difficult choice" chief faces could be choosing between listening to Cortana or Osman, having to terminate the other, naturally."

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Here's the supposed fake leak:

"The guardians are old flood defense mechanisms. Chief is activating them so that Cortana in the domain can use them, cuz it turns out a fully corrupted Didact is leading the flood against the galaxy. ONI wants to use them to wipe out the rest of the elites while they're at their weakest, but Osman gets kilt by Chief and Halsey. Locke takes over ONI.

Not bad, if true.

The "osiris must stop the guardians" of the last level could be read as "stop the guardians from blowing the F out of the sangheili because Osman.

The "difficult choice" chief faces could be choosing between listening to Cortana or Osman, having to terminate the other, naturally."
That's not nearly as detailed as the one I was given though, and it doesn't make as much sense in regards to what we've seen like the image of the Cryptum and the heavy emphasis on Cortana. Still betting mine is legit.

Top Bottom