• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

Almost forgot but what actually happened to Chico? He's simply dead?

And BigMGSfan said the GZ explosion was a fake memory. And that Paz was actually alive. Well, though he nailed some parts, I think in this case he was just going by the trailer that shows Paz.

Though there is a Phantom Paz... conjured up or something? After Volgin nothing surprises me, lol.

Basically the same boat I'm in. And unless the coma thing is all a ruse as well (which it doesn't appear to be based on the hospital gameplay where the character is weak with atrophied muscles), I'm not sure exactly how he would be been trained sufficiently to take over for Big Boss in the first place. The Boss, Big Boss, his clones, and MGS2 Raiden (due to extensive reenactment training made possible through top of the line futuristic VR decades later) are part of a legacy of top tier "supersoldiers" throughout the series.

And now we're learning that a comatose buddy, who isn't even a career fighter, is able to completely and flawlessly take over for Big Boss, not only for morale purposes around the base, but also as someone capable of soloing field ops just like the legend?

It would have been more believable if it were Ocelot, who was at least The Boss's own son and a warrior with years of experience both on his own and with Big Boss. Obviously more plot holes would be created, but it's not like the series isn't wacky enough already.

The whole series had you stripping down these legends into what they really are, just humans.

A rookie Big Boss takes down the Cobra Unit and the Boss, legends of WW2, the mother of the armed forces.

Solid Snake, the rookie inferior clone who was never supposed to amount to much, knocked off the legendary Gray Fox, Big Boss and then his superior brother Liquid, proving genes aren't what makes someone like Big Boss.

Raiden, whose only real combat was in repressed memories as a child, knocked off the genetic equal to BB, Solidus, while he was weaing a super exoskeleten suit.

Venom, transformed mind and body into Big Boss, rises to the occasion and lives up to the "legend". And he's said to be one of the BBs most trusted soldiers so he isn't some scrub taken off the streets, he had prior training like the rest, most likely from BB himself.

all these people, up until the point they did what they did, were "random."

Given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Snake. -Ocelot

I am merely stepping in here to say that I am watching the stream and I've avoided most of the spoilers.

Except for the one about the Man on Fire and who he is but then again that was Obvious because it literally looks just like him.

my walmart out here had them out before i went to work. I tried to grab one but system locked it out. I was trying to convince them it was gears of war (lol, jjust because the gears title) and they nearly fell for it. Manager was about to override it until an employee came up and said it releases next week.

southern california reporting in.

my walmart out here had them out before i went to work. I tried to grab one but system locked it out. I was trying to convince them it was gears of war (lol, jjust because the gears title) and they nearly fell for it. Manager was about to override it until an employee came up and said it releases next week.

southern california reporting in.

Which location in SoCal?

Neiteio

The whole series had you stripping down these legends into what they really are, just humans.

A rookie Big Boss takes down the Cobra Unit and the Boss, legends of WW2, the mother of the armed forces.

Solid Snake, the rookie inferior clone who was never supposed to amount to much, knocked off the legendary Gray Fox, Big Boss and then his superior brother Liquid, proving genes aren't what makes someone like Big Boss.

Raiden, whose only real combat was in repressed memories as a child, knocked off the genetic equal to BB, Solidus, while he was weaing a super exoskeleten suit.

Venom, transformed mind and body into Big Boss, rises to the occasion and lives up to the "legend". And he's said to be one of the BBs most trusted soldiers so he isn't some scrub taken off the streets, he had prior training like the rest, most likely from BB himself.

Given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Snake. -Ocelot
Yeah, the story itself seems super-solid, thematically speaking. It's very high-concept on one hand, but human on the other.

I just wonder how good the editing and dialogue is this time around. I wasn't impressed by the cutscene they showed where Big Boss (erm, Venom) tells his men to not shoot Quiet.

vano89

Neo Member
Almost forgot but what actually happened to Chico? He's simply dead?

And BigMGSfan said the GZ explosion was a fake memory. And that Paz was actually alive. Well, though he nailed some parts, I think in this case he was just going by the trailer that shows Paz.

Though there is a Phantom Paz... conjured up or something? After Volgin nothing surprises me, lol.
I still don't know what to think about BigMGSfan.... the core of what he said is true, but a lot of stuff is BS... like the "fire whale" thing during the hospital scene or the fact that Venom understand to be a BB lookalike from seeing Paz alive, while he get that from listening a tape....

IMHO he got some info from somebody who played the game or worked at Konami (in France maybe) but he made up some stuff to try to create a believable story... he never actually played it, or at least he never finished it!

Neiteio

Man, knowing about the BB body double, and rewatching the part in the trailer where he's walking down the hall and goes from healthy to shrapnel face to burning, etc... It's really sad now that I know it's some man who had his life stolen from him by the people he trusted. All of the suffering and confusion he must feel. No small wonder he pushed back against the world in a big way. He gave back what the world gave him. :-(

As a casual MGS fan, and one who wasn't even hyped for this game, I honestly find this development a lot more emotionally interesting. It adds extra nuance to the grand tragedy of the story. It might be what leads to me picking this up sooner than expected.

Where are you getting the notion these characters are rookies or anything close to "random"?

The mother of the special forces herself trained Big Boss. Big Boss trained Solid Snake. Raiden went through the world's most advanced VR simulation training - effectively a substitute Solid Snake training him (who he then did more directly during the actual mission). None of this is remotely akin to an everyman or "random" soldier becoming a legend - they were all specially groomed for the roles they took.

...And then we get a comatose medic taking over for Big Boss, not only as a figurehead, but as an actual commando running the same kind of solo ops in the field that made Big Boss that made Big Boss a legend among other highly trained field operatives.

Remember, these top tier Boss/Snake soldiers weren't just legends, they were legends among other special forces units, who themselves were a league above your average grunt, which is where a field medic would be.

Sure it does, he sounded like a young little shit in MGS3, He sounded like Raspy old man Ocelot in MGS1, and in TPP he is somewhere in between.

Yup and there's a what, a 20 year split between Snake Eater and TPP, and a 21 year split between 84 and 2005 when the Shadow Moses incident takes place.

Neiteio

Where are you getting the notion these characters are rookies or anything close to "random"?

The mother of the special forces herself trained Big Boss. Big Boss trained Solid Snake. Raiden went through the world's most advanced VR simulation training - effectively a substitute Solid Snake training him (who he then did more directly during the actual mission). None of this is remotely akin to an everyman or "random" soldier becoming a legend - they were all specially groomed for the roles they took.

...And then we get a comatose medic taking over for Big Boss, not only as a figurehead, but as an actual commando running the same kind of solo ops in the field that made Big Boss that made Big Boss a legend among other trained field operatives.
What if the soldier who becomes Venom was one of BB's best men, trained by BB himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom