• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Keihart

The finger is clearly a key.
If i hadn't read this thread i would have no idea that there is hope to open the locked drawer in the kitchen. Gotta keep looking i guess.

Persona7

Banned
Pretty sure this one's saying "HARAWATA" and not "HAHAHAHA".

I think someone earlier mentioned that being the internal code name for RE7.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SuufA8Gju0

I made a direct recording of the song and sounds from the opening menu screen for analysis purposes lol. Points of interest are whispers at the :22 - about :55 second mark and then the more audible one at 1:14 which is that "kitchen" one but it sounds weird to me....

Thanks for posting.

The Iron Weasel

Neo Member
On one run as I walked into the kitchen a can was just randomly rolling on its own under the table. Is this normal?

Was it after you grabbed the back door key? Every time you go to the kitchen after that something causes a ruckus and stuff moves around. The game is also very choosy about what things are physics objects and what aren't. There's a stack of cans near the stove that I have knocked into a few times.

If I pause on the first frame of the tape and then wait for 30 seconds, a spinning thing shows up in the bottom right. It doesn't show up if you pause a little later.

The static in the background also goes away only if you pause at that one spot.

You can see it at the very end of the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_98u3iAQQ0

I really doubt it actually means anything but it's something to look at I guess.

If I pause on the first frame of the tape and then wait for 30 seconds, a spinning thing shows up in the bottom right. It doesn't show up if you pause a little later.

The static in the background also goes away only if you pause at that one spot.

You can see it at the very end of the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_98u3iAQQ0

I really doubt it actually means anything but it's something to look at I guess.

Whoa that's weird. It looks like a cassette spool, but why would they put that there? Maybe it's to remind you that you're in the tape world if you paused and left the game to do something else?

gafneo

Banned
Played this for a good hour or so today and couldn't figure out what to do like everyone else. I tried kicking the doll to the hidden room and it glitched out once I got it inside the TV room, hacked almost every picture I could with the axe, tried to get all the ghost sightings (but failed) -- like everyone else I can't seem to figure out what to do next. That finger has to have a use, as well as the axe, and I feel like that drawer in the kitchen with nothing in it is odd as well. Man, I hope someone figures something out soon, cause there has to be more.

I think there is something to the brain in the jar that falls out of the fridge.

Kalentan

The game has a retry option. Has anybody been able to use it?

It also has a load option... I swear there is something we're all just missing. I really do think there is way more to this demo.

I think somehow there is a way to get through the door with the broken handle and a way to explore further down the hole. To which I'm pretty sure you can see a light coming from that corridor down there.

Whoa that's weird. It looks like a cassette spool, but why would they put that there? Maybe it's to remind you that you're in the tape world if you paused and left the game to do something else?

It's just odd to me that it only works for that short period of time. Maybe it's some sort of mistake.

Was it after you grabbed the back door key? Every time you go to the kitchen after that something causes a ruckus and stuff moves around. The game is also very choosy about what things are physics objects and what aren't. There's a stack of cans near the stove that I have knocked into a few times.
The Family man walks past the TV room and then through the house after you get that scene. Seeing him just lurching silently was the scariest part for me.

It also has a load option... I swear there is something we're all just missing. I really do think there is way more to this demo.

I think somehow there is a way to get through the door with the broken handle and a way to explore further down the hole. To which I'm pretty sure you can see a light coming from that corridor down there.
Yeah, the greyed out Retry and Load options were driving me nuts last night.

I thought that maybe saving/loading would do something because of "memories holding the truth" (one of the phone calls), but I couldn't find a way to use the Load option. Ditto with Retry.

Eventually I just assumed they're leftovers from the full game, but people are saying this demo is pretty much standalone... Dunno what to think anymore.

Kalentan

Yeah, the greyed out Retry and Load options were driving me nuts last night.

I thought that maybe saving/loading would do something because of "memories holding the truth" (one of the phone calls), but I couldn't find a way to use the Load option. Ditto with Retry.

Eventually I just assumed they're leftovers from the full game, but people are saying this demo is pretty much standalone... Dunno what to think anymore.

Okay so this demo is standalone and the trailer at the conference was also for said standalone... Well that trailer had a bunch of stuff we still haven't seen. Like one of them I swore was a cop outside and another was Pete wandering about unsure of what to do and not wanting to end up like Andre... We're missing something but what...

I think there is something to the brain in the jar that falls out of the fridge.

That's what fell out of the fridge!? I couldn't tell what it was the first time, and I stopped opening the fridge after my second run.

I also really think there's something we need to do in the VHS cause of that whole "memories hold the truth," line you can get when you answer the phone. I'm just not sure what. I tried opening the locked door near the TV room with the lockpick but it doesn't work. Maybe there's something else we can unlock with that pick other than the drawer to the axe?

The number in the mirror you all are referring to is it roman numerals or numbers? Have any of you seen the 2 x's on the bottom left side of mirror? They def look like they were deliberately put there for a reason.

RootCause

I can't place the room in which the guy in the suit gets killed by the infected. it doesn't look like the kitchen we find the axe.

Okay so this demo is standalone and the trailer at the conference was also for said standalone... Well that trailer had a bunch of stuff we still haven't seen. Like one of them I swore was a cop outside and another was Pete wandering about unsure of what to do and not wanting to end up like Andre... We're missing something but what...
Also, our characters answers the phone after waking up. Something we haven't experienced yet.
Like you said, so many things missing from the trailer, and if this is indeed a standalone, then it makes no sense they would throw it away instead of including it. Unless they plan on releasing the full version of it at a later time.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Ok so there are 7 ghost locations on the vhs and they have been found, however people haven't reliably been able to get her to appear in them consistently. I don't think anyone has found all 7 during a playthrough without resetting/dying yet. From everything I've seen the ghost most reliably appears when you follow the guys and act like a real camera man would. Have yet to see anyone try getting all 7 like that. I don't know if certain events in the present effects whether she shows up in certain locations or not (such as reading notes or destroying mannequins). I just watched a guy reset his tape 8 times trying to see the first appearance off of the porch and when he followed like a real camera man she popped up the other times she wasn't there.

The reddit thread has the 7 appearance locations stickied if anyone wants to see where she pops up

Sayad

If everything in the trailer is in the demo, then the aim assist option isn't for the Axe, it's for a gun, as one of the clips in the Sony conference trailer shows someone firing a gun from an FPS view.

DVCY201

Starting to feel dumb scrounging the floor. I dislike obtuse puzzles like these, where there are nearly 0 hints. I keep going back to the picture the camera crew look at in the VHS, but it yields nothing.

Soulflarz

Banned
If everything in the trailer is in the demo, then the aim assist option isn't for the Axe, it's for a a gun, as one of the clips in the Sony conference trailer shows someone firing a gun from an FPS view.

this seems...very notable

the family man stomps your face in
damn
he really wants you to go home and be a good dad

Soulflarz

Banned
whos this
i'm not sure the demo is all the footage
bNNgiwW.png

BlitzKeeg

Someone may have mentioned it already, but "HARAWATA" means 'guts', or 'bowels' in Japanese.

It seems to fit the gross theme if that's really what it says

why can you only use the leaky tap once almost everything else can be played with multiple times but not the leaky tap.
Same with the piano, right? Although in the case of the piano I think it's just a cheap little scare right at the beginning of the demo and that's it.

RootCause

so can we rule out demo=trailer? At least, the actual trailer, that's diff from conference trailer.

and...uh
wheres this gun
I wouldn't rule out anything at this point. Maybe it's another part of the house we haven't accessed yet. :p

Capcom did say that the teaser is a standalone, so I'd like to think it's in there, unless they plan on releasing a full version of this.

maladroit

The phrase on that piece of paper is Psalm 137:9 - "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." or "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." - possibly something to do with that baby doll? Anything else baby related in the demo?

Also, the description of the finger mentions celluloid, like what film is printed on, has anyone googled the phrase on the helicopter picture or anything?

Sorry if this was discussed, skimmed the thread, can't play the demo either, just watching streams.

Top Bottom