• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
There was XIII-2 DLC in the original 3DS Theatrhythm, even. There's no way this new one will have no XIII-2 music, that game is full of amazing tracks. Especially with Caius as a character.

VanWinkle

If you don't mind me asking, fellow friends, what IS Theatrhythm? Is it purely a rhythm game? Is it reminiscent of, say, DJMax? Are there RPGS elements, and if so, do they factor into the actual gameplay? What type of music do they have? Just FF soundtrack songs or licensed music or something?

Thank you. I love rhythm games, but am not really a fan of the Final Fantasy series or JRPGs in general for the most part. I may be interested in this.

Effect

CTRL + F "Crystal Bearers".

Maybe next time, Layle. Maybe next time.

Was looking for that as well. Oh well. However at least they added Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Has my favorite normal battle and boss battle theme music ever. The game maybe to easy (not a bad thing either as it makes for a relaxing playthrough) but the music overall in it is excellent. Better then most Final Fantasy games I feel.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If you don't mind me asking, fellow friends, what IS Theatrhythm? Is it purely a rhythm game? Is it reminiscent of, say, DJMax? Are there RPGS elements, and if so, do they factor into the actual gameplay? What type of music do they have? Just FF soundtrack songs or licensed music or something?

Thank you. I love rhythm games, but am not really a fan of the Final Fantasy series or JRPGs in general for the most part. I may be interested in this.

Rhythm game like any other, but with weak RPG trappings. Beating songs gives your characters XP, which helps them learn new moves and have higher HP. HP is how many fuckups you can have before you fail the song, the moves help you get items or kill enemies faster, which gets you more items. You have to completely ignore all of the RPG bits (barring HP maybe) if you want the highest scores, though. The weakness of the RPG bits were a common complaint, they're pretty superfluous.

The songs are all the original versions, from the original games, unchanged. With one or two exceptions.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CTRL + F "Crystal Bearers".

Maybe next time, Layle. Maybe next time.

Gotta save something for DLC.

Rhythm game like any other, but with weak RPG trappings. Beating songs gives your characters XP, which helps them learn new moves and have higher HP. HP is how many fuckups you can have before you fail the song, the moves help you get items or kill enemies faster, which gets you more items. You have to completely ignore all of the RPG bits (barring HP maybe) if you want the highest scores, though. The weakness of the RPG bits were a common complaint, they're pretty superfluous.

The songs are all the original versions, from the original games, unchanged. With one or two exceptions.

Skills/equipment are useful for clearing Dark Notes to try and collect items/shards, so there's a bit of strategy there if you're trying to maximize boss kills in a single run depending on which chars/skills you have available.

rataven

So this is a direct sequel, with all new content? Or something like Dissidia Duodecim with the first game included?

But in any event, yay! I just started the first game and am getting quite the kick out of if. And Cloud is so cuuute.

IrishNinja

shit yeah, damn near killed my OG 3DS screen on this one - here's to all the "MOBILE ONLY/NO CHANCE FOR 3DS" crowd last thread, heh

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Skills/equipment are useful for clearing Dark Notes to try and collect items/shards, so there's a bit of strategy there if you're trying to maximize boss kills in a single run depending on which chars/skills you have available.

That's true, Dark Notes reward RPG strength over score. Though that still just boils down to getting items. Items that unlock characters, so certainly more valuable items, but characters don't really matter beyond being more or less effective at.. getting items from fights. Beyond "ehe I'm Locke" of course.

FFXIV characters are in too looks like, pretty sure that's Y'shtola in the back right row there (silver haired cat girl for those who haven't played).

cafemomo

i don't know why but this promo image is soooo got dang adorable.

i might blow it up and get it printed

image65.png

Ramza? uh oh.....*blindfolds and locks up his wallet*

So.....did the first one have XIII-2 final boss music? That music is epic >_>

kiryogi

Banned
It's interesting in that SE just dictated that she's the big main char to spotlight/represent X|V now. I don't mind that one bit!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Partial Songlist revealed, once again from Siliconera.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Advent: One Winged Angel [Event]

Final Fantasy V
Clash on the Big Bridge [Battle]
The Airship [Field]

Final Fantasy VI
Edgar & Sabin’s Theme [Field]
The Decisive Battle [Battle]

Final Fantasy IX
Festival of the Hunt [Battle]
Not Alone [Field]

Final Fantasy X
Fight With Seymour [Battle]
To Zanarkand [Field]

Final Fantasy XIV
Power Descending From Heaven [Battle]

Final Fantasy Type-0
We Have Arrived [Event]

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Crimson Blitz [Battle]

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Apologize if old, but according to Famitsu via Siliconera, the game will have music from the following:

• Final Fantasy I – XIV
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy
  • Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Crisis Core? Oh shit.

Are they gonna have remasters/orchestral versions in this one? I liked the first but I felt like it could've used more than just straight dumps of the songs, particularly the NES games...

mrmickfran

Im guessing that by the number of songs confirmed to be in the game (200+), Square's using a much larger game card as opposed to the first game. (32 GB maybe?) Hopefully this means that we get the full songs instead of them being cut in the middle like in the first game.

The Extreme was the worst offender:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA

It cuts off right at the three minute mark (AKA the best part of the song) in the original Theatrhythm.

Other notable cut songs: One Winged Angel, Dancing Mad, Fight With Seymour, Sabre's Edge, To Zanarkand

Are they gonna have remasters/orchestral versions in this one? I liked the first but I felt like it could've used more than just straight dumps of the songs, particularly the NES games...
The NES and SNES songs, the original versions, are the best part of the game. There's no reason to ruin the original music.

Polygon has translated some of the Famitsu article and it sounds like it'll be the last Theatrhythm game:

"We're thinking that we'd like this to be the final Theatrhythm. It'll be the newest, the best, and the final one. A lot of rhythm action game sequels don't include the songs from the original game, but with our project, if we didn't include tunes like 'Clash on the Big Bridge' [FF5] or 'Isn't It Wonterful' [FF10], you can't place the FF crown on that. So instead of just adding new songs, we want to have this game be the base upon which we add new songs and try to get as close to a complete song list as possible."

Maybe.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sure, we don't need another Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy.

Move right along to Theatrhythm: Chrono/Xenogears.

So hyped for this. Day one, assuming it gets localized. :(

Having Mystic Quest, X-2, and Crisis Core music will be amazing. Really sad to not see XIII-2 on that list, though... it has an excellent soundtrack, and we need more than just "Knight of the Goddess."

Top Bottom